• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ePSXe thread? (Playstation Emulation)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I've seen we've had Dolphin and PCSX2 threads on here but was surprised to not see a PS1 emulation thread.

As we all know playing older games like those on the PS1 on a non CRT screen make the games even worse looking than you remember. Playing them on the PSP is tolerable but not everyone wants to play them on a small screen and not everyone still has a CRT. Emulation can help with that!

The Filters and Shaders on ePSXe can do some crazy things. The problem is picking the right one. I like the cartoon shaders but they seem to make the text in game hard to read.

Anyone still play their backup games on ePSXe?

Here's some examples of what it can do with different settings, filters, and shaders

ff8erot2.jpg

(Final Fantasy VII using Cartoon Shader)
P7Ovx.jpg

Final Fantasy IX Bump Mapping Shader
ffb5.jpg

I really like the cartoon shader for Chrono Cross because it makes the game look cell shaded.

384612832.jpg

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Woah these shader effects are awesome... I had no idea about this stuff.

I don't know whether I love or hate that bump mapping shader

Doesn't it look like those old marvel trading cards. The special ones that are all bumpy and stuff. I like it

One of the best if not BEST emulators out there. The only one comparable IMO is ZSNES.

So many great nostalgia memories with high-rezzed and AAed Final Fantasy 8, Chrono Cross and Crash games.

Aeana

I like how the FF8 "original PSX" shot is stretched and blurred to make it look even worse than it should.

One of the best if not BEST emulators out there. The only one comparable IMO is ZSNES.

So many great nostalgia memories with high-rezzed and AAed Final Fantasy 8, Chrono Cross and Crash games.

But ZSNES hasn't been one of the best SNES emulators in an incredibly long time.

Dylan

I was using ePSXe to play through FF8 a few years ago. I found that while the graphics settings were mostly manageable through trial-and-error. The biggest difficulty I had was trying to get the sound to output correctly, at a good quality, and without stuttering.

The most useful tools were found at Pete's Domain (from what I can tell it hasn't been updated since 2008)

Orayn

Doesn't it look like those old marvel trading cards. The special ones that are all bumpy and stuff. I like it

I'm surprised by how nice it looks on the prerendered backgrounds, but it screws up the 3D characters something awful. Likewise, the cartoon shader totally messes with the text in Chrono Cross.

I've found that the only graphics plugin I like is the software renderer. It makes all the games and their effects (think RPG battle transitions) look perfect with no graphical glitches, plus it has much better performance if you have a weak graphics card. I don't think it has filters, though, but if you want to accurately play games instead of mess with the cool shaders, you should try the software renderer.

I really wish there were N64 software renderer plugins that were good like this...

I should also note that Eternal SPU plugin seems to be the best sound plugin. It's the only one that can play Um Jammer Lammy well.

I guess they did they fix the dual core problem then...I recall eons ago it would disobey FPS limits if you had multiple cores unless you locked the process down to a single core.

I have to admit these filters and shaders look a bit better than I expected. Still prefer the regular graphics though.

Bulzeeb

I was using ePSXe to play through FF8 a few years ago. I found that while the graphics settings were mostly manageable through trial-and-error. The biggest difficulty I had was trying to get the sound to output correctly, at a good quality, and without stuttering.

The most useful tools were found at Pete's Domain (from what I can tell it hasn't been updated since 2008)

this, I remember having some issues with this emulator a few years ago, has this been updated somehow?

So, what's better nowadays?

If you have a great processor, bsnes is best. It strives for 100% accurate emulation.

If you have a normal processor, snes9x is best. It is more modern than zsnes with more options, and has slightly better compatibility I believe.

If you have a slow processor, zsnes is best. It's still my favorite emulator, actually, but hasn't had any updates in years.

BHK3

Banned
I found downloading all the plugins to be a pain in the ass and for some reason CTR had severe slowdowns, haven't touched it since then.

Jucksalbe

Banned
SNES9x and SNESGT surpassed ZSNES almost 6 years ago, for starters. BSNES is "the best," but it requires a lot of power and tweaking to get vsync working just right.

What exactly is so much better about those? I never had any compatibility issues with ZSNES (except for maybe SuperFX games) and vastly prefer their GUI to SNES9x.
Never tried the others, in fact this is the first time I ever heard of SNESGT. Will try them later.

SNES9x and SNESGT surpassed ZSNES almost 6 years ago, for starters. BSNES is "the best," but it requires a lot of power and tweaking to get vsync working just right.

Vsync should only take a few minutes to get as good as it's going to.

Someone posted an easy to use tool on his forum for working it out, but I'm at work so can't search for it now.

SparkTR

ePSXe is great, but as an alternative there's Xebra. It feels more true to the original PS1 experience (warts and all) in regards to the emulation.

Reuenthal

Banned
I tried to use ePSXe but it was too slow, I couldn't get it to go over 60FPS even when I removed all options of limiting them. Generally there were other issues too and compatibility issues, I am not very pleased with the experiences I had with it.

BosSin

I'm surprised by how nice it looks on the prerendered backgrounds, but it screws up the 3D characters something awful. Likewise, the cartoon shader totally messes with the text in Chrono Cross.

That's it! It's the effect it has on the characters that is preventing me from thinking it's awesome

For the love of god, please tell me where can i download this beautiful piece of software, I want to play FF8, FF7 and Chrono Cross with Cartoon Shaders, they look awesome!!!!

What exactly is so much better about those? I never had any compatibility issues with ZSNES (except for maybe SuperFX games) and vastly prefer their GUI to SNES9x.
Never tried the others, in fact this is the first time I ever heard of SNESGT. Will try them later.

Read through this:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/1/

Some of the negatives no longer apply to snes9x, and some of them never did to GT(though I believe gt is no longer actively developed).

TGMIII

Maybe someone in here has an idea about a problem I've been having. So on any PS1 ridge racer the game starts fine, acts normally in menus but once I actually start a race it drops to like 5-10FPS. Tried various emulators, every version of ridge racer but it's always the same.

I'm running a 2500K @ stock, 8GB DDR3, 6950, Win 7 Pro x64.

Aeana

Sound emulation is the really big thing. It's nowhere near perfect in ZSNES. Some things in particular stand out for me, like the sound effects in F-Zero and the music in Bowser's Castle in Super Mario RPG, both very, very wrong in ZSNES. SNES9x got the same sound core that BSNES uses a while back, and SNESGT has always had pretty good sound emulation.

Orayn

Is it wrong that I dislike the above screenshots because I think nearest-neighbor interpolation on low poly models looks kinda cool?

Foffy

Banned

I think Yoshi's Island never worked properly in ZSNES when it came to some sections. I also believe the game had less issues in SNES9x, but the game slowed down in those same sections.

Funny how a 2D game that's sixteen years old seems to be demanding on emulators.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Thanks! That was very interesting. I never really noticed those issues in ZSNES, but on the other hand, I never used emulators much outside of fan translations, recording or save states. I still have two SNES consoles hooked up to my TV.

Sound emulation is the really big thing. It's nowhere near perfect in ZSNES. Some things in particular stand out for me, like the sound effects in F-Zero and the music in Bowser's Castle in Super Mario RPG, both very, very wrong in ZSNES. SNES9x got the same sound core that BSNES uses a while back, and SNESGT has always had pretty good sound emulation.

I will try F-Zero right away. It should be easy to notice the difference when I play it against the original cartridge (though I only have the sucky PAL version, that probably also sounds a little bit different).

Edit: Oh god, you're right. The sound effects in ZSNES are completely wrong. BSNES doesn't run smoothly on my system, but at least it sounded right. SNESGT was close enough, I guess I'll go with that one for now.

Tizoc

Could you guys post some more images of PSX games+shaders/gfx plugins? Ya know like how they do it in the Dolphin and PS2 emulation threads?

It's a really nice emulator and in the context of these games looking utterly awful on HDTV's via the PS2 and PS3, the extra filters and options to improve the look of these games is an absolute godsend. I regret getting rid of my old SDTV, but, at least with this emulator you can make these games playable on HDTV's. Those FFIX screenshots, in particular, look gorgeous and with the right settings and filters, I think most games hold up pretty well.

Unfortunately, there's only so much you can do to improve these games, and it tends to be the full 3D games that suffer, such as Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid and the like. Those that use 3D on pre-rendered backgrounds such as the Resident Evil and Final Fantasy series hold up really well.

I think Yoshi's Island never worked properly in ZSNES when it came to some sections. I also believe the game had less issues in SNES9x, but the game slowed down in those same sections.

Funny how a 2D game that's sixteen years old seems to be demanding on emulators.

FWIW Yoshi's Island is 100% playable (beatable) in ZSNES.

Top Bottom