• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ePSXe thread? (Playstation Emulation)

NeoUltima

I can never get audio to work right :/. Few weeks back, I tried playing FFIX, but for that reason I just gave up and played my discs on ps3.

So many damn plug-ins. I wish there was just default settings that worked with everything.

SparkTR

I can never get audio to work right :/. Few weeks back, I tried playing FFIX, but for that reason I just gave up and played my discs on ps3.

So many damn plug-ins. I wish there was just default settings that worked with everything.

Try Xebra, fantastic PSX emulator with no plug-ins to configure.

epsxe was a pain in the ass to configure without causing it to freeze.

It works now pretty satisfactory, and hell no if I'm touching the configuration ever again.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I still think playing PSX games on a real CRT *OR* using a PSP w/ 1:1 mode is the way to go. Emulators really compromise the visuals in a big way by bringing the flaws to the forefront. 2D elements become a pixelated mess while 3D elements just look super dated and simplistic. The games look and feel so much more coherent on a proper CRT running on original hardware.

I think Yoshi's Island never worked properly in ZSNES when it came to some sections. I also believe the game had less issues in SNES9x, but the game slowed down in those same sections.

Funny how a 2D game that's sixteen years old seems to be demanding on emulators.
The SNES hardware is rather demanding in a few interesting ways.

I typically stick to real hardware myself but I DO like to load up emulators on portable systems from time to time. I'm amazed at how much trouble the PSP and various other open source platforms struggle to run SNES games. The PSP can easily handle NeoGeo, CPS2, and various other "high end" platforms from the 90s while SNES games still run like garbage.

What is it about emulating the system that is so difficult, I wonder?

Meier

Does this thing emulate PS2 games yet? I bought DQ8 but ended up selling my PS2 since I was moving and then upgrading to a PS3.. but they took out BC of course so I've had DQ8 on my shelf and have been unable to play it for 6 years or so. Or are we still a solid 4-5 years away until it's "easy" to emulate PS2 games yet without a $3,000 PC?

SparkTR

Does this thing emulate PS2 games yet? I bought DQ8 but ended up selling my PS2 since I was moving and then upgrading to a PS3.. but they took out BC of course so I've had DQ8 on my shelf and have been unable to play it for 6 years or so. Or are we still a solid 4-5 years away until it's "easy" to emulate PS2 games yet without a $3,000 PC?

Use PCSX2 for PS2 games, should only take an overclocked i5 CPU to run at full speed, which is common in modern gaming PCs. I played through some of 'The Warriors' for PS2 on it a while back in 1080p, it ran pretty great.

I've not used ePSXe since my last full run of resident evil a few years back, but I remember ridge racer type 4 looking rather amazing with some filters and high resolution.

I also remember V-rally 2 not working correctly with car steering.

I still think playing PSX games on a real CRT *OR* using a PSP w/ 1:1 mode is the way to go. Emulators really compromise the visuals in a big way by bringing the flaws to the forefront. 2D elements become a pixelated mess while 3D elements just look super dated and simplistic. The games look and feel so much more coherent on a proper CRT running on original hardware.

you can choose to filter 2d/3d elements selectively with this emulator

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
you can choose to filter 2d/3d elements selectively with this emulator
Oh, I know, but it's still either very chunky or blurry. Neither replicates the appearance of those pixels on an interlaced display. 320x240 blown up to 1920x1080 or higher with or without filtering is unattractive.

Everything blends together so much better on a real system.

Orayn

Oh, I know, but it's still either very chunky or blurry. Neither replicates the appearance of those pixels on an interlaced display. 320x240 blown up to 1920x1080 or higher with or without filtering is unattractive.

Everything blends together so much better on a real system.

Rendering at a lower resolution also covers up the "twitchy" polygon edges to a certain extent.

Use PCSX2 for PS2 games, should only take an overclocked i5 CPU to run at full speed, which is common in modern gaming PCs. I played through some of 'The Warriors' for PS2 on it a while back in 1080p, it ran pretty great.

Any Sandy Bridge processor is more than enough PS2 games. I'd wager that Nehalems and AM3 processors are enough. Pair that with any non-onboard GPU then you're golden.

Only real complaint with ePSXE is that the best 3d plugin is the OpenGL one, but there is no Vsync option, and enabling Vsync at a driver level has no effect, so your stuck with screen tearing..and i really,really hate screen tear.

The D3D plugin does have Vsync that works, but i've found it to have far more compatibility problems with games than the OpenGL one.

Software rendering also tends to have quite a lot of slowdown on some games..Tekken 3 for example..even when running @ 640x480.

I had a hell of a time getting my aspect ratio correct at fullscreen with any plugin in ePSXe. I have to play windowed to get it to play at 4:3. If I go fullscreen it stretches or displays it incorrectly somehow. And Resident Evil 2 runs terribly at just about all settings (with an i5 + 570 gtx)

pSX runs everything fine and at a good aspect ratio, but has no bells or whistles to clean up the image.

UrbanRats

Tried to run this thing, but even after setting BIOS and Plug ins, it crashes at start up, as soon as i try to "run" something. :\

Seik

Banned
I had a hell of a time getting my aspect ratio correct at fullscreen with any plugin in ePSXe. I have to play windowed to get it to play at 4:3. If I go fullscreen it stretches or displays it incorrectly somehow. And Resident Evil 2 runs terribly at just about all settings (with an i5 + 570 gtx)

pSX runs everything fine and at a good aspect ratio, but has no bells or whistles to clean up the image.

Same problem here.

curttard

Banned
The only game I want to play on an emulator is Bust a Groove, because my PSX is long dead, but it seems like no emulator -- not even the one on the PS3 itself -- runs it playably. All have terrible lag that makes it impossible to time the button presses to the beat.

Anyone ever get it to work?

UrbanRats

Here's the event log, right when it crashes:
iHVcspcaxjakG.jpg

EDIT: Ok, i added epsxe to the DEP list and it goes now.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Where have you been man? PCSX2 as mentioned earlier.

Here's a topic about it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427321

Games look beautiful and and some games like FFXII have better assets than the PS2 could display.

rozay

Banned
I really like Xebra a lot more than epsxe, it's definitely more accurate and takes more processing power for some games.

I stole this from another forum, but this is a simple way of getting games to work:
Launch Xebra.
1)Select File->Open->OS ROM Image... (xebra1.jpg)
2)open your bios image (xebra2.jpg)
3)Select File->Open->CD ROM via SPTI... (xebra3.jpg)
4)open any file on it (xebra4.jpg)
5)Select Run->Run2(1-pass) (xebra5.jpg)
6)After a short gap the game start (xebra6.jpg)
Steps 1) and 2) are only required for the first use.
Ciao.
P.S.: on FF7 probably you can't see any files... no problems, make an'ISO and:
3a)Select File->Open->CD ROM Image... (xebra7.jpg)
4a)open your image (xebra8.jpg)

Awakened

For those having stretching issues in ePSXe:

8ysWR.png

That's with Pete's OGL2 video plugin. You need to check that use window size in fullscreen option, and type in a window size based on the 4:3 ratio you want with whatever your fullscreen resolution is. So for 1080p, you do 4 x 1080 / 3 = 1440 to get the horizontal resolution.

I kinda like Xebra, but it doesn't look like it has a correct aspect ratio option for fullscreen.

RyanDG

I loved the toon filter... took this VR Mission screenshot a while back. It looks way better in motion, but I'm too lazy to boot it back up again.

This doesn't look half bad really. MGS still holds up pretty well now graphically due to a lot of its simplicity, but I can see where this would really benefit some of other PS1 3D games that weren't quite so lucky.

I may have to load this up.

Wray

What's the best Cartoon Shader to use?

I have 3 Cartoon folders, all with sub folders.

Advanced Cartoon Shaders
Cartoon Shaders Class B
Cartoon Shaders Class C

plc268

What's the best Cartoon Shader to use?

I have 3 Cartoon folders, all with sub folders.

Advanced Cartoon Shaders
Cartoon Shaders Class B
Cartoon Shaders Class C

Don't know, but in all my videos so far, I've used Cartoon Shaders Class B\Cartoon shader I\

It's really subjective though. Here's a collection of pictures (A LOT of pictures) using FFIX as a guide and testing a ton of shaders. Here you can kind of get an idea what the differences are.

http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135833

Kientin

For those that don't have a powerful enough computer to run bsnes like me. I also switched to snesgt and haven't gone back after using zsnes and snes9x forever. I've had a lot less issues running snesgt than the other two.

Chris R

A 2 year old laptop (Celeron *yuck*) should be able to run ePSXe right? Thinking my friend is just having issues with the plugin configuration because the recommended specs are reaaaaaaaaly old (Pentium III I think).

Just asking because I know that ePSXe is the best emulator for the PSX but he wasn't able to get it working, where PCSX Reloaded ran on his laptop, even though it isn't that great with the graphics or the sound :|

If so is there a best know plugin pack and basic settings setup to get him running. I know each game has its own tweaks and quirks to get running as well as it can, but for now he would just prefer working.

butanebob

Neo Member
I found epsxe to be a bit of a mess honestly. So many little problems, screen sync problems, innaccurate graphics and audio etc.

A big problem with ps1 games is the fact that the original hardware had severe 3d geometry issues. A lot of the games don't look right when you max up the resolution, it really brings out the issues. Characters wobble all over the place like they have parkinsons, and walls have giant bends in them and look all wonky and aren't straight etc....

But then there're the crash bandicoot games that manage to look good. Naughty dog are wizards!

For those having stretching issues in ePSXe:

8ysWR.png

That's with Pete's OGL2 video plugin. You need to check that use window size in fullscreen option, and type in a window size based on the 4:3 ratio you want with whatever your fullscreen resolution is. So for 1080p, you do 4 x 1080 / 3 = 1440 to get the horizontal resolution.

I kinda like Xebra, but it doesn't look like it has a correct aspect ratio option for fullscreen.

i'm pretty sure I tried this, but I'll try it again tonight. Thanks!

plc268

I found epsxe to be a bit of a mess honestly. So many little problems, screen sync problems, innaccurate graphics and audio etc.

A big problem with ps1 games is the fact that the original hardware had severe 3d geometry issues. A lot of the games don't look right when you max up the resolution, it really brings out the issues. Characters wobble all over the place like they have parkinsons, and walls have giant bends in them and look all wonky and aren't straight etc....

But then there're the crash bandicoot games that manage to look good. Naughty dog are wizards!

That's just the nature of PS1 emulation... it's not very accurate, but most of the games are playable. Also, most of the PS1 emulators haven't been updated in a while, so that doesn't help.

Top Bottom