• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ePSXe thread? (Playstation Emulation)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wuv epsxe, FF9 runs much better than FF8 for some reason, no sound stuttering or graphical glitches with the openGL plugin, don't know why I can't get the font as smooth as the software plugin though, tried everything ..

qqIgm.png

What's the easiest way to add cheat codes to my games?

I saw one method that had me downloading a bunch of programs so I said NOPE.

Ianan

So do people generally prefer ePSXe over PCSX2 for emulation of PS1 games? Or do PS1 games not work on PCSX2?

Pyrrhus

I'm surprised there's never been anything in an emulator that adds z-buffering and perspective correct texturing. Not having walls with wavy lines or limbs where the upper and lower joints clip through each other constantly would go a long way in making PS1 games look nicer.

Wray

Trojita, can you post the settings you used in the screenshot you took of Chrono Cross using the cartoon shader? In your image the text is normal looking, but I cant seem to get it working without the text being stretched and unreadable. I even tried disabling shaders all together.

Mxrz

Hmm. Not sure what to start with. I never finished Suikoden 2 or BoF4, but I wouldn't mind replaying Azure Dreams, BtN, the first Suikoden, DW7 or Chrono Cross either. Spoiled for choice here. I forgot how many PSX games I bought back in the day.

I was happy to see my USB/PS2 controller adapter works just fine with epsxe, but somehow it feels off. Might dig out a standard psx controller (not dual analog) and see if it feels better.

Hmm. Not sure what to start with. I never finished Suikoden 2 or BoF4, but I wouldn't mind replaying Azure Dreams, BtN, the first Suikoden, or Chrono Cross either. Spoiled for choice here. I forgot how many PSX games I bought back in the day.

I was happy to see my USB/PS2 controller adapter works just fine with epsxe, but somehow it feels off. Might dig out a standard psx controller (not dual analog) and see if it feels better.

Suikoden 2. Breath of Fire 4 and Chrono Cross are both great as well, and very beautiful games. But Suikoden 2's story, soundtrack and characters put it head and shoulders above any other JRPG of that era if you ask me.

Mxrz

Yeah. I do need to finish it for my rpg nerd cred. Might do I -> II. Trouble is I can't help but compare them to Suikoden III these days, which is really high on both my bias and nostalgic lists now.

Forgot how much insane Job grind DW7 has. Might save it for when/if gaf ever does a Dragon Quest thread.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I am having a hard time finding some of these shaders. My google-fu must not be what it used to be because I can't find the storybook shaders anywhere.

I'm mostly just hoping I didn't miss an obvious link in the thread. :D

So do people generally prefer ePSXe over PCSX2 for emulation of PS1 games? Or do PS1 games not work on PCSX2?

PCSX-Reloaded for me.

Forgot how much insane Job grind DW7 has. Might save it for when/if gaf ever does a Dragon Quest thread.

on pcsx-r/epsxe/any emu that uses pete's gpu plugins, you should be able to massively speed up grinds by unlocking the FPS limiter

Just be sure the sound's turned down as this will cause it to mess up royal.

Suairyu

Banned
Wuv epsxe, FF9 runs much better than FF8 for some reason, no sound stuttering or graphical glitches with the openGL plugin, don't know why I can't get the font as smooth as the software plugin though, tried everything ..

qqIgm.png
Why did they have to cancel the PC version? :(

Also that window is far too large. Render the 3D at an ungodly resolution but keep the window at native res. Looks fabulous.

edit - as quoting the image shows!

UrbanRats

why do you guys use these ugly shaders and smoothing filters :(

gafer pls ;(
Smoothing on 2d pixel art is generally shit (i'm thinking about the SNES emulator, for example), but on 3d is different, nothing charming or amusing in aliasing, aliasing is just evil crap.
That said, stuff like the cartoon shader are cool to look at, considering most of us have played all these games till nausea, it's a nice novelty/change.

Psxphile

Connectix_Virtual_Game_Station_Windows_Screenshot.png

I remember when I first started emulating Playstation games... good times... pouring one out for the one that started it all (fuck Bleem!...). Am I wrong in assuming that the PSP's (and maybe PS3's) PS1 emulator was based on this? After all, Sony bought the company after Connectix lost their court battle... it's not too far-fetched to think that some code was re-appropriated for their own use.

Mxrz

Not sure about my settings for Suikoden, but I actually prefer the widescreen/stretch look. Although there seems to be a bit of screen tearing.

Ledsen

Smoothing on 2d pixel art is generally shit (i'm thinking about the SNES emulator, for example), but on 3d is different, nothing charming or amusing in aliasing, aliasing is just evil crap.
That said, stuff like the cartoon shader are cool to look at, considering most of us have played all these games till nausea, it's a nice novelty/change.

Well obviously I'm not talking about AA. I'm talking about these full-screen filters that make text and pre-rendered 2D assets blurry and ugly.

I'm away from my PC ATM, the shader is for Pete's OpenGL2, and it's in a pack named "guest shaders pack" or something similar (just google "epsxe custom shaders" and you should find it easily).
Inside the pack there are several shaders, including the cartoon and the storybook ones, alongside the one i've used to smooth the image. There's a readme that details each and every shader included in the pack.

You got a point, but i restarted it just to try epsxe and got hooked by my powertrip of killing exeryone with a few blows, due to my boss junctioning.
Best part was putting Edea (d2) to sleep, draw away all her magics and GFs, then kill her, while still asleep, with one attack.
Even the Ultima Weapon has gone down in one Renzokuken plus a few attacks.

Thanks for this info.

I remember when I first started emulating Playstation games... good times... pouring one out for the one that started it all (fuck Bleem!...). Am I wrong in assuming that the PSP's (and maybe PS3's) PS1 emulator was based on this? After all, Sony bought the company after Connectix lost their court battle... it's not too far-fetched to think that some code was re-appropriated for their own use.

damn, i remember using this back in the day D:

Utako

Banned
I simply run games at a higher resolution. 2D assets aren't improved, but from a comfy couch distance that isn't a problem.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I would not be surprised at all if the emulator Sony uses was based upon the work of these guys. With full access to the hardware I'm sure that made the process much easier.

I'm surprised there's never been anything in an emulator that adds z-buffering and perspective correct texturing. Not having walls with wavy lines or limbs where the upper and lower joints clip through each other constantly would go a long way in making PS1 games look nicer.

Adding perspective correction is not possible, as far as I know. It would need an extra parameter (w) to be calculated by the games themselves, which they don't because the PS1 hardware can't make any use of it. Emulators could only guess, and this is barely possible.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I prefer PCSX-R, as it's open source, actively developed and uses the same plugins as epsxe.

Thank you! PCSX-R>>>>>ALL

I play Ridge Racer, Rage Racer and RR Type 4 on it religiously. Lack of pad plugins in epsxe is why I stopped using it.

Ianan

What sound plugin are most people using? I'm hearing "P.E. Op. S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9" is the best to use however I get an extremely loud static noise being constantly played through my speakers whilst using it. The other I hear is Eternal 1.4 but that does not emulate the sound well at all I'm finding.

The ePSXe core one seems to be by far the best for me so far.

Argh, not having any luck getting my DDR games to run properly on the emulator. Even ripping the discs to ISO isn't letting the emulator get the sync right at all. Worse yet, I can't get games like Bust A Groove to get the right timing. Sad day.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just setting up Suikoden 2 so I can finally play through it proper (started it on my PS3 but lost my save a while back).

Really liking the Natural Vision shader. I'd love to try this shader out for SNES emulation...seems to do a great job of replication CRT pixel bleed and color reproduction without the other effects I don't want (screen curvature, scanlines).

Here's a comparison.

raw
raw.png

Natural Vision
nv.png

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Using your recommended shader I am so far unable to replicate your splendid results.
Any advice on how to get rid of those awful pixelated white borders?

edit: Fixed! I needed to change the High-Res Texture setting (was using 2xSaI in an attempt to improve image quality but this was apparently introducing noise, switched to stretch+filter instead)

Suairyu

Banned
Natural Vision
nv.png
This is the first time I've seen a CRT filter that even remotely replicated how CRT TVs look. Most just blur everything, slap on black bars and pretend they look anything like what real scanlines actually looked like, and call it a day.

THAT SAID

It's interesting, because I think we're in an age where people tend to value the crispness of pixel art over the reality of how the games actually looked. This is especially true of people who were introduced to those games via PC emulation, I think, where all the pixels were preserved.

I honestly don't know where I stand on the issue. It becomes a very per-game thing. Yoshi's Island, for example, almost demands a filter of sorts to make that pastel aesthetic work, but if anyone even thinks of slapping a filter on Street Fighter III, I'll cut them.

Oemenia

Banned
You need a good config for OpenGL2 plug-in, it will clean up the 3D graphics but still keep the detail on the textures as well as smoothly filter the 2D stuff. Also as others have said, you do have to play around with the Aspect Ratio setting to get it just right, but RPGs in general work perfectly with the Stretch to Window size setting. Lastly, play in fullscreen, MUCH better experience.

Anyway, heres what you should use.

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: AMD Radeon HD 6500M/5600/5700 Series

Resolution/Color:
- 1024x768 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
- Internal X resolution: 2
- Internal Y resolution: 2
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: on

- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: off
- VRam size: 512 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: off
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 60.0

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer effects: 3
- Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 1/4
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: on [00002002]

Really liking the Natural Vision shader. I'd love to try this shader out for SNES emulation...seems to do a great job of replication CRT pixel bleed and color reproduction without the other effects I don't want (screen curvature, scanlines).

:eek: that is really nice.

Any PS1 games out there with widescreen? Only one I know is WipEout 3. Played it in 720p @ 60fps some years ago when I was into PS1 emulation and man did it hold ut well, it was awesome.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

what game is that?

could we please make it a rule to post the name of the game when posting screenshots?

also, was just wondering if anybody knows this:
what was it about the original playstation's hardware that made all geometry render in a sort of imprecise, 'wobbly' way?
was it due to insufficient bits in the z buffer/coordinate space or something like that? it seems like even objects that were meant to stand still between frames have their polygons 'jiggle' a bit.

what game is that?

could we please make it a rule to post the name of the game when posting screenshots?

also, was just wondering if anybody knows this:
what was it about the original playstation's hardware that made all geometry render in a sort of imprecise, 'wobbly' way?
was it due to insufficient bits in the z buffer/coordinate space or something like that? it seems like even objects that were meant to stand still between frames have their polygons 'jiggle' a bit.

It was less insufficient bits in the z buffer and more didn't even have a z buffer.

Top Bottom