• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ePSXe thread? (Playstation Emulation)

TheExodu5

Banned
This is the first time I've seen a CRT filter that even remotely replicated how CRT TVs look. Most just blur everything, slap on black bars and pretend they look anything like what real scanlines actually looked like, and call it a day.

THAT SAID

It's interesting, because I think we're in an age where people tend to value the crispness of pixel art over the reality of how the games actually looked. This is especially true of people who were introduced to those games via PC emulation, I think, where all the pixels were preserved.

I honestly don't know where I stand on the issue. It becomes a very per-game thing. Yoshi's Island, for example, almost demands a filter of sorts to make that pastel aesthetic work, but if anyone even thinks of slapping a filter on Street Fighter III, I'll cut them.

For sure it can depend on the game. The benefits in Suikoden 2 are clear...just look at the ground. In the non filtered shot it's dithered to hell and back. In the filtered shot its a nice, smooth gradient (likely the way it was meant to look with the dithering).

Also, this is what the shader looks like for Final Fantasy VII. It decreases the overall IQ, but makes the whole scene a lot more cohesive, IMO (characters don't stand out from the low res backgrounds).

raw
nofilter.png

Natural Vision
filter1.png

filter2.png

Pooya

those asking for accurate PSX emulation should check out XEBRA, it's equivalent of SSF for Saturn emulation, no visual enhancements, the goal of it was to produce results closest to the real console. just use Run-1 option, it might be very slow on older hardware.

Suairyu

Banned
For sure it can depend on the game. The benefits in Suikoden 2 are clear...just look at the ground. In the non filtered shot it's dithered to hell and back. In the filtered shot its a nice, smooth gradient (likely the way it was meant to look with the dithering).

Also, this is what the shader looks like for Final Fantasy VII. It decreases the overall IQ, but makes the whole scene a lot more cohesive, IMO (characters don't stand out from the low res backgrounds).

raw
nofilter.png

Natural Vision
filter1.png

filter2.png
I wish I could like that, but blurred 3D graphics are the greatest sin in my eyes. I just run games with pre-rendered backgrounds at ungodly resolutions, then scale the window down to something like 800x600. Helps a lot.

On another note, can anyone explain no-one has actually made a scanline filter that does what scanlines do? Scanlines are the black bars between rows of pixels, yet scanline filters just paste the black bars over the top of the image, which is horrendous.

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't think scanlines ever make sense. As for running at 800*600...sure that's an option, but if you want to run at full screen on an extra large display like mine (32"), then a filter helps a ton.

TheExodu5

Banned
I would, but I would never mod the character models...I think they look awful since they clearly don't fit in with the rest of the game's art assets. My interest is in playing the vanilla game with the best overall image quality and sound quality possible.

I attempted to mod it last week, but was left with a bunch of missing textures and gave up. :(

Razek

Banned
I always just used one of regular plugins with 2xSal and depending on the game, sprite smoothing. Always seemed to look good enough to me. I remember FF7 looking great and the characters didn't stick out too much.

Mindman

raw
nofilter.png

Natural Vision
filter1.png

filter2.png

How can I get/use this filter?

Oemenia

Banned
How can I get/use this filter?
Again its just tinkering with the settings. Also in his case, it could be done better as the 3D details have become smeared. Look on the previous page for my post with the best settings. Most people do the internal resolution too high or apply to much filtering.

Mindman

Again its just tinkering with the settings. Also in his case, it could be done better as the 3D details have become smeared. Look on the previous page for my post with the best settings. Most people do the internal resolution too high or apply to much filtering.

Will try your posted settings.

On another note, can anyone explain no-one has actually made a scanline filter that does what scanlines do? Scanlines are the black bars between rows of pixels, yet scanline filters just paste the black bars over the top of the image, which is horrendous.

My thoughts on scanlines:
First of all, the black bars noticeable on some CRTs are not the scanlines themselves, but the space between the scanlines (see Wikipedia).
Then it's not easy to reproduce this effect on LCDs because the characteristics of a CRT are different: The pixels aren't as discrete and tend to bleed over the edges, creating a blurrier image and also a more floating contrast between the scanlines and the black bars. Simply adding black bars on LCDs just doesn't look right.

Anyway: The natural vision shader seems quite nice to me. It still doesn't match the subjective impression I get when playing the PS1-FFs on a CRT TV though. The latter just looks a bit less pixelated despite not appearing too blurry.

Tess3ract

Banned
Some people care about "artistic integrity" but all I care about is if it answers this question or not:

Does it look like someone rubbed their balls on it and carved everything out of stone with their teeth:

[] Yes
[] No

jett

D-Member
good lawd at the legend of the dragoon screens. Sometimes I think it's better to play these games in their original, low and unfiltered resolution. It just hid a lot of the ugliness.

xJavonta

Banned
Some people care about "artistic integrity" but all I care about is if it answers this question or not:

Does it look like someone rubbed their balls on it and carved everything out of stone with their teeth:

[] Yes
[] No
Hahahaha

Does anyone use their PS3 controller for PS1/2 Emulation? Last time I tried to it messed up my Wiimote/Dolphin bluetooth drivers, so I'm not doing that again unless there's another method that doesn't screw with my Dolphin stuff

Hahahaha

Does anyone use their PS3 controller for PS1/2 Emulation? Last time I tried to it messed up my Wiimote/Dolphin bluetooth drivers, so I'm not doing that again unless there's another method that doesn't screw with my Dolphin stuff

Yeah, MotionJoy can help with that. If you use the USB method and not wireless it shouldn't tamper with your Dolphin business.

Suairyu

Banned
good lawd at the legend of the dragoon screens. Sometimes I think it's better to play these games in their original, low and unfiltered resolution. It just hid a lot of the ugliness.
Depends on the game.

Run Spyro at high resolution on epsxe, for example, and it could pass for a PS2 game. Then again, that was back when Insomniac were gods.

Hahahaha

Eh, I use my Dualshock controller to emulate every damn console, from the SNES to Dreamcast to Gamecube.

TheExodu5

Banned

No, you actually need to download the Natural Vision shader.

Download the shader, place it in a folder, and in the settings, click the something "shader" checkbox, and point it to the shader file. Sorry, can't get exact info since I'm at work.

SOLDIER

Any good settings or plugins for Xenogears guys?

I'd like to know this as well. I've been wondering what the best filter/shader is for sprite-based games.

I've also been looking for a good configuration for high end machines. What do I do to crank the video/sound settings for HD?

Kareha

Anyone know why PCSX-R would be crashing on startup, everytime I run it, it just says that the program has stopped working. ePSXe works fine for me but I'd like to try PCSX-R to see what's different. Running Windows 7 64-bit if its any help, can't find anything online to help though :(

Anyone wanting to see FFVIII in high resolution should really check out the PC version. It's superior to the PS version, with backgrounds and FMVs being at DVD resolution, which is double of that used on the PS.

Only hassle is that you'll want to download the original PS soundfonts so the thing doesn't sound like poor man's midi.

Well, I finally got FF8 working properly on Windows 7 but the controls are horrible using a 360 controller. Using a PS2 to USB adapter with a Dualshock 2 is worse. It all comes down to loose analog controls.

I finally downloaded a Pinnacle profile for the 360 controller that allows me to use the d pad but it still sometimes goes crazy. Tell me, what controller do you use for FF8 PC?

Suairyu

Banned
Well, I finally got FF8 working properly on Windows 7 but the controls are horrible using a 360 controller. Using a PS2 to USB adapter with a Dualshock 2 is worse. It all comes down to loose analog controls.

I finally downloaded a Pinnacle profile for the 360 controller that allows me to use the d pad but it still sometimes goes crazy. Tell me, what controller do you use for FF8 PC?
Uh, I just used the controller. No configs. Windows should handle that all for you.

Was wondering if anyone could help me out, I've been trying to run PSX-reloaded on my mac for a few hours now and have made no progress, I've installed the program but can't seem to make it run roms.

Kareha

For those that didn't know, ePSXe 1.8 came out awhile ago. Can't link as I'm on my iPod but it will be at the usual emulation places.

teiresias

I've just done a replay of Chrono Cross on PCSX-reloaded (first play through of the game since getting it at launch), and didn't really have any issues. I used one of Pete's more advanced filter files and didn't do any texture filtering and thought it looked great (and not having texture filtering on kept the text boxes from having any corruption). I also decided I prefered to run the emulator at 640x480 and let my Kuro do the scaling (and have it do the grey bars on the side) because I don't really like the look of PSone games when they're rendered at ridiculous resolutions - just something wrong about it, but 480 seems a good compromise and is fairly clean once it gets through my TV's scaler. I also replaced the included controller plug-in (which sucked donkey balls) with a PSX emulator build of the one that's included by default with PCSX2.

HOWEVER, I've also ripped my copy of FVII and both Lunar Completes, but get strange audio glitches. For example, the "attack hit" sound in FFVII sounds almost corrupted, and the voice-acting audio in both Lunars is completely corrupted and sounds awful. Could this be an issue with the ISOs I made from my disc copies - meaning I should re-rip them with maybe some special settings - or is it maybe an audio plug-in issue? I've played around with the provided audio plug-in settins with no luck. I'm also considering trying ePSXe rather than PCSX-r in case there's just something in it that is the issue, but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

UrbanRats

Man, what's up with Resident Evil games? Both RE2 and 3 take ages, sometimes, to load the next screen or when i pick up an object.
Like, a good 5 seconds.

Top Bottom