• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erron Black Leaked for Mortal Kombat X

Why are people so excited for Shinnok? All I know about him is that he has a stupid hat and needs to get some sun. Is his play style really cool?

A-V-B

Why are people so excited for Shinnok? All I know about him is that he has a stupid hat and needs to get some sun. Is his play style really cool?

Decent number of people excited for the interesting characters that came out after the MK3 era. And there weren't a lot of those characters.

Shinnok, Quan Chi, Kenshi and Fujin are kinda the big ones. If those guys are in, you've got some happy campers.

Decent number of people excited for the interesting characters that came out after the MK3 era. And there weren't a lot of those characters.

Shinnok, Quan Chi, Kenshi and Fujin are kinda the big ones. If those guys are in, you've got some happy campers.
Ah, that makes sense. I guess MK9 did basically completely ignore those games.

Miles X

It's normal for complaints regarding roster in a new entry to a fighting game series. I feel like MK 9 was the love letter game to the MK1-UMK3 fans. We had that game now it's time for something a little different. I actually wish they had gone more radical with the roster with fewer returning characters.

I have to ask like others before me, what is going on with Cassie's neck in the alt costume? lol.

Same, even tho I'm not completely enamoured with the new special forces, the rest of the characters NRS are hitting out of the ballpark, Erron, D'Vorah, Kotal Kahn and Ferra Torr all awesome.

I wanted 12+ new characters.

Boon did say about "passing the torch" this game, I think Cassie, Jin, Jaquie and Takeda are going to permanantly (or for a very long time at least) take the places of Sonya, Johnny, Kenshi, Jax and Kung Lao.

Kyzon

Yup, Shinnok at the end of the tower.

99720-hi.jpg

Oh my. This arrow fatality is... Messy

EDIT: Have we seen this one as well? I feel like we have... Or rather I think I heard it described before. I might be thinking of Kitana's other fatality, which is apparently her 2nd fatality from MK9 except at the end she does the fan spin thing.

EDIT: Have we seen this one as well? I feel like we have... Or rather I think I heard it described before. I might be thinking of Kitana's other fatality, which is apparently her 2nd fatality from MK9 except at the end she does the fan spin thing.
Im guessing he fires explosive arrow inside of him

bumpkin

The only thing cool about Shinnok was his one fatality in MK4 where a skeleton hand would reach up from nowhere, grab your opponent, and squeeze 'til their head popped off. That's it. He's a stupid final boss compared to Shang Tsung or Shao Kahn.

the 2nd one you posted has to be kano's 2nd fatality.. those look like his knives.

fernoca

Shinnok as a boss was linda lame, but his design, weapon/staff and story wete cool. An Elder God that helped the creation of Earthrealm became obsessed with it because of its beauty, that wanted it for him and caused a war with Raiden. He was removed as an Elder God and sent to the Netherrealm as punishment.

He was on the second movie (Annihilation) with a similar plot a more human (but kinda cool) look and the original ending back then of the movie even had him in Netherealm talking to Quan Chi about how things were going according to plan. That by coincidence maybe ended been the basis of this game.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
The only thing cool about Shinnok was his one fatality in MK4 where a skeleton hand would reach up from nowhere, grab your opponent, and squeeze 'til their head popped off. That's it. He's a stupid final boss compared to Shang Tsung or Shao Kahn.
Yeah I don't get the excitement for Shinnok at all, he works as a piece of the lore but as a playable character he's a complete waste of a slot.

Dr. Buni

Great character design and cool lore are enough for me. Can't speak for the others.

To me Shinnok is the only non-MKX post-MK3 character, other than our beloved Kenshi, who doesn't look like total crap.

Shinnok > Shao Kahn

He has a lot more things going for him as a character, the guy is a fallen Elder God, who resides in the Netherrealm.

He's also a lot smarter in the things that he does, I mean, when he participated in Armageddon.. It wasn't even him! But a clone. He has a similar power of shapeshifting like Shang Tsung, but works in a different way.

He himself can turn into a demon.

Shinnok is just a lot more better in my opinion. I welcome his return as a playable character. I'm still hoping for another battle of the gods. Fujin!
Fire God Liu Kang
, and Rain (Demi-God)

Shinnok > Shao Kahn

He has a lot more things going for him as a character, the guy is a fallen Elder God, who resides in the Netherrealm.

He's also a lot smarter in the things that he does, I mean, when he participated in Armageddon.. It wasn't even him! But a clone. He has a similar power of shapeshifting like Shang Tsung, but works in a different way.

Shinnok is just a lot more better in my opinion. I welcome his return as a playable character. I'm still hoping for another battle of the gods. Fujin!
Fire God Liu Kang
, and Rain (Demi-God)

^THIS!!! I think it's lame fujin and rain appeared in some ss and won't even be playable... Unless boon has something up his sleeve

ruiner0

Neo Member
Dumb question, Since this story takes from the end of MK9 and then slowing covering 20 years. Wouldn't this make an a kinda remake of Mk4 since Shinnok is in it?

Khezu

I'm sorry, that is a stupid design, seriously, this is some amalgam comics level garbage, Its a good thing he already has a fanbase cause otherwise he'd be a universal laughing stock.

He didn't really have an existing fanbase, he is a completely new character for MKX.
He just showed up slightly early(about a month or two ago) in the MKX comic book.

Everyone jumped on him and wanted him playable, because Cowboys.

fernoca

Dumb question, Since this story takes from the end of MK9 and then slowing covering 20 years. Wouldn't this make an a kinda remake of Mk4 since Shinnok is in it?
In a remote way.
Timeline changed. In the original one, Shinnok and Quan Chi tried to start the war by entering the restored Edenia. Though it never went much more beyond that.

In the new one, Edenia is never restored as Kitana and Sindel died and they used the Earth been unbalanced after Shao Kahn's invasion, to start a war in Earth.

In a way, history repeated but the war did took place in Earth now and Quan Chi using the dead warriors to his advantage. But originally it was just a plan to take over Earth.

Also unlike the original timeline, aside maybe Johnny Cage the warriors don't consider Raiden as a mentor with some even despising and blaming him for the events.

I still think D'Vorah is one of the most interesting characters so far, having read nothing about the characters and only going by visuals. She looks human, but is filled with bugs. It's just silly enough to work.

^THIS!!! I think it's lame fujin and rain appeared in some ss and won't even be playable... Unless boon has something up his sleeve

Exactly. I still have hopes for Fujin being DLC, as crap as that is. But I can't see Rain being DLC again. :

idk why NRS wouldnt make rain playable when they clearly have him in the story mode... i would be pissed if he was DLC again..

Hopefully he becomes a bonus DLC thing like Goro.

I remember seeing some screen of an animality but see no mention in achievements, are they still in game or was it fake?

The spider image was a jump scare moment in the krypt. It was never an animality, people just assumed it was through the image alone.

It goes up to 25 years actually. It's going to cover part of the story of MK4, but in a whole new way, then it'll proceed to going on it's own track.

Manu

RE: Rain being DLC.

I think Boon has said that no one who was DLC in MK9 would be DLC in MKX.

We already have Kenshi in the main roster in X, maybe we'll get Rain too? I know I'd love to. Both Kenshi and Rain were some of my best characters in 9.

karma2578

Exactly. I still have hopes for Fujin being DLC, as crap as that is. But I can't see Rain being DLC again. :

Hopefully he becomes a bonus DLC thing like Goro.

The spider image was a jump scare moment in the krypt. It was never an animality, people just assumed it was through the image alone.

It goes up to 25 years actually. It's going to cover part of the story of MK4, but in a whole new way, then it'll proceed to going on it's own track.

I meant this...

FG9CJzX.jpg

fernoca

If Animalities are in, it will be like Babalities in the last game..undocumented, until someone gets the game early and performs one either randomly or something.

Christopher

Shinnok wasn't given a fair chance to shine in Mortal Kombat 4 he was so goofy and corny plus it didn't hurt that he was playable frlm the start eliminating any kind of mystique from him.

I just think that Shinnock needs a chance to shine and get some actual character, because as of now how could you ever say he is better than shoa Kahn...

I meant this...

FG9CJzX.jpg

You're in a thread full of screenshots from the achievement list, how am I supposed to know that you meant that specific picture.

Edit: There's multiple polar bears, so I would assume that is not an animality. Seems more like like a stage fatality. Even so, it could be a scene from the story.

Khezu

It actually has nothing to do with MK.
It's just a random image, you can find it if you want by googeling bloody polar bear.

Unicorn

It's normal for complaints regarding roster in a new entry to a fighting game series. I feel like MK 9 was the love letter game to the MK1-UMK3 fans. We had that game now it's time for something a little different. I actually wish they had gone more radical with the roster with fewer returning characters.

I have to ask like others before me, what is going on with Cassie's neck in the alt costume? lol.
I feel the same. A 4th of the roster being military looking peeps is less interesting than a couple more ninjas and a couple robots though. Kotal is amazing and I was hoping there'd be more original newbies besides him and Erron.

Dr. Buni

I loved animalaties in MK3 and I'd love the mechanic to be back. Pls NRS!
Shinnok > Shao Kahn

Fire God Liu Kang
, and Rain (Demi-God)
The morcego speaks the truth. Only Fire God Liu would be cooler than Shinnok.
I still think D'Vorah is one of the most interesting characters so far, having read nothing about the characters and only going by visuals. She looks human, but is filled with bugs. It's just silly enough to work.
She is really interesting and one of my favorite new characters so far. Although I like all new characters, except maybe Kung Lao's relative, so...

Not surprised Liu kang is not some demi fire god. Based on the leaked description he was revived just like the other dead characters.

It actually has nothing to do with MK.
It's just a random image, you can find it if you want by googeling bloody polar bear.

There was a thread that threw this idea of animalities out the window. Someone posted the actual image that is being used there - it isn't from MKX or any game, it's an actual photo

6Y1bJJl.jpg

And there you go.

I loved animalaties in MK3 and I'd love the mechanic to be back. Pls NRS!

The morcego speaks the truth. Only Fire God Liu would be cooler than Shinnok.

She is really interesting and one of my favorite new characters so far. Although I like all new characters, except maybe Kung Lao's relative, so...

But we already had animalities in MK9, from Liu Kang. Lol. I kid. :p

I see what you did there. I'm still holding out hope! I at least expect the outfit. I mean even Johnny has a similar outfit to his ending! Liu Lang needs his time to shine!

Jacqui is my least favorite so far. She's a kick boxer, yet she got enhanced braces on her hands/arms. But I'll judge fully based on gameplay.

Not surprised Liu kang is not some demi fire god. Based on the leaked description he was revived just like the other dead characters.

Yes, but in the description, it also said
that he gained more power due his resurrection.

Dr. Buni

I see what you did there. I'm still holding out hope! I at least expect the outfit. I mean even Johnny has a similar outfit to his ending! Liu Lang needs his time to shine!

Jacqui is my least favorite so far. She's a kick boxer, yet she got enhanced braces on her hands/arms. But I'll judge fully based on gameplay.
Right, I still have hope as well. Call me delusional, but Shinnok being the final boss in the tower doesn't mean he is the final boss in story mode. Plus, remember the original Killer Instinct? Depending of the difficulty level, the final boss could be either Fulgore or Eyedol. And there still is the "unexpected final boss" thing. So who knows?

As for Jacqui, yes that is dumb, but I am just glad we finally got a black woman with a great design in Mortal Kombat. I also hope she has a good number of kicking moves :D
Kangs in!?
Of course. He was stripped from his status as the protagonist, but you can't have
a good
MK without good old Kang :)

Dereck

I feel as if somehow the quality of the character models have regressed since when the game was first announced. Not even the storymode, just during the fights. Is it just the new characters that look bad compared to the characters that have been revealed since last year?

Top Bottom