• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN NHL 2K5 league.

Malakhov

Banned
The game is coming out at the end of the month, we should start making a league so once the game is out we're ready to roll. Hopefully we'll have enough members to get a good league going, at that $19.99 price tag, even non hockey fans could get the game though so I'm not that worried.

So let's get this rolling, who would get in? PS2 or Xbox? Team of choice?

I'll be first:

Malakhov
System: Xbox
Team: Montreal Canadiens

The people we have so far:

Xbox league (LEAGUE IS FULL):

1. Malakhov, Montreal Canadiens (Confirmed)
2. Mike Works, Tampa Bay Lightning
3. Matrixadw, Dallas Stars (Confirmed)
4. Che Guevara (Fifty), Los Angeles Kings (Confirmed)
5. College Dropout, Pittsburgh Penguins
6. DMczaf, Anaheim Mighty Ducks (Confirmed)
7. cloudy, Philadelphia Flyers (Confirmed)
8. FrenchMovieTheme, Boston Bruins
9. Cmdr Solrak, Chicago Blackhawks
10. Malleymal, New York Rangers (Confirmed)
11. Dopeyfish, Toronto Maple Leafs (Confirmed)
12. Bishop, Colorado Avalanche (Confirmed)
13. Ramirez, Phoenix Coyotes (Confirmed)
14. Fight for Freeform, Detroit Red Wings
15. Marty Chinn, San Jose Sharks (Confirmed)
16. Rodriguez, Buffalo Sabres (Confirmed)
17. Truelize, Calgary Flames
18. StrikerObi, New Jersey Devils
19. Ryu, Ottawa Senators
20. SystemShark, Edmonton Oilers

On hold if someone opts out/doesn't confirm:

21. Shoplifter, Columbus Blue Jackets (Confirmed)
22. DJ Demon J, Washington Capitals (Confirmed)

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Matrixadw
Xbox
Dallas Stars

I will suck so bad :)

Fifty

Che Guevara
Xbox
Maple Leafs

I have huge faith in the game itself, although I'm very unsure of the status of the leagues. I just hope the NHL team doesn't have the same online team that NFL did :p

Maverick

I would play in this league, but it would ruin it. I'm just too good. What fun would a league be when no one can beat me?

:(

(Seriously though, the GA KING OF HOCKEY might just have to be in on this. I just don't think it'll take off. People are too unreliable.)

Xbox
Pens.....

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
OH YEA MORE ESPN MADNESS....

Malleymal
XBOX
i dont know who is good i dont watch hockey, but the video games are always fun... so give me the NEW YORK RANGERS

Cry me a damn river ranger fans....:)

Malleymal said:
i dont know who is good i dont watch hockey, but the video games are always fun... so give me the NEW YORK RANGERS

Cry me a damn river ranger fans....:)
hahaha, this post is funny for multiple reasons

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Fifty said:
Che Guevara
Xbox
Maple Leafs

I have huge faith in the game itself, although I'm very unsure of the status of the leagues. I just hope the NHL team doesn't have the same online team that NFL did :p

#$%^#%^# I called Leafs a week ago damnit! :( :( :(

I guess I'll take Ottawa Senators, Xbox

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Mike, you dried up piece of owl shit I hope you get violated by a herpes-laden rhinoceros.

Um...gimme the Divealanche on Xbox. Are we playing an 82-game season? If so this could go south very quickly...

calder

Malakhov said:
Looking good, already 10 teams gone for xbox while Calder is all alone crying with his ps2 ;)

CALDER AM CHAMPION!!!! WOOOOO!!!
cup.jpg

Malakhov

Banned
bishoptl said:
Mike, you dried up piece of owl shit I hope you get violated by a herpes-laden rhinoceros.

Um...gimme the Divealanche on Xbox. Are we playing an 82-game season? If so this could go south very quickly...
No way we're doing an 82 games season, even though it would be insanely fun, we wouldn't finish it.

We'll have to do shorter seasons.

Fifty

DopeyFish said:
#$%^#%^# I called Leafs a week ago damnit! :( :( :(

I guess I'll take Ottawa Senators, Xbox

In that other thread I was joking when I called the Sens.... Shame on you, Dopey, shame on you. :(

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
That picture rules, Calder. New wallpaper!

Koopa, I'd take the Caps if they weren't guaranteed to be a big bucket of Kentucky fried suck this season, Ovechkin or no Ovechkin.

Ramirez

I changed my mind :p Are the Coyotes any good,if they are I'll take them,but I mean I'd like to have a team that I might actually have a chance of winning at least ONE game,hahahaha.

Fifty

If DopeyFish has the Leafs and Kabuki Waq has the Maple Leafs then I will take the Toronto Maple Leafs! :p

Dopey can have the leafs, but there's no way I'd play with any other team.

Haha I didn't catch that =) I was just trying to get it up quickly so people who already called dibs would get noticed. Dopey called them first. So hopefully this gets straighten out quickly. Sorry FMT, I've got the Sharks.

I would have started the official thread based on this list, but thought it was way too soon given it was a month away. Not to mention, who really browses this forum every day, constantly? I sure as heck don't.

FightyF

Banned
Xbox, Detroit Red Wings

I play with my brother sometimes as the Oilers. Together we are unstoppable in 2K4, and in reality it's really unfair. So I'll stick to one player for this tourny.

Ramirez

Its a season,and you can't play with multiple players in them anyways (In NFL anyways,I assume its the exact same here) :p

calder

Yeah, crappy thing about being a Leafs fan (well, one of them, don't make me use any of the dozen mean jokes I just thought up - insert your own ;)) is that you really have no backup team huh. There's no team in the West that is similar or nearby towns that you don't have established, bitter rivalry's with. You can't even pick a team that has a lot of ex-Leafs because most Leaf stars are UFA's.

If I was a Leafs fan (make sign of the cross now Leaf fans, you know I am) I'd probably have a soft spot in my heart for the Blackhawks - similar city, another original 6 team, in a different conference. But there were some dandy Leafs/Hawks battles in the early 90s so maybe it would be tough for a Leafs fan to forget that. And the Hawks will suck again anyway. :p

But hey if someone was to start rooting for the Hawks it's not like you'd have fans from Chicago giving you a hard time about it or taking your team in online leagues. ;) When's the last time anyone met a Blackhawks fan?

Fifty

I will take the Kings.....Hey, I can consider them my adopted team since I'm moving there. ;)

Che Guevara - LA Kings

Give Dopey them Leafs when you read this.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
calder said:
Yeah, crappy thing about being a Leafs fan (well, one of them, don't make me use any of the dozen mean jokes I just thought up - insert your own ;)) is that you really have no backup team huh. There's no team in the West that is similar or nearby towns that you don't have established, bitter rivalry's with. You can't even pick a team that has a lot of ex-Leafs because most Leaf stars are UFA's.

If I was a Leafs fan (make sign of the cross now Leaf fans, you know I am) I'd probably have a soft spot in my heart for the Blackhawks - similar city, another original 6 team, in a different conference. But there were some dandy Leafs/Hawks battles in the early 90s so maybe it would be tough for a Leafs fan to forget that. And the Hawks will suck again anyway. :p

But hey if someone was to start rooting for the Hawks it's not like you'd have fans from Chicago giving you a hard time about it or taking your team in online leagues. ;) When's the last time anyone met a Blackhawks fan?

10 years ago, the dude was a belfour nut ;P

calder

Objectively, I think the Hawks have the best uniforms in sports. But they're like the Bruins but even worse - a large market team run by anonymous cheapskates who seem to not care a lot about how the teams doing on the ice.

Hell, if I had an Xbox I'd take the Hawks now. ;) As long as you turn injuries off they have good goaltending. Some decent young players. Granted, that's pretty much it for the plus side of the ledger, but if you take a team like the Blackhawks in a league you pretty much win the moral victory every time you play against some front-running charlie like bishoptl. Whats the matter bish, realized you couldn't take Man U or the Yankees? :D

Considering I'm going to be all alone in the PS2 division (and yes, I WILL declare myself champion) I might just have to play a few games as the Hawks and see if I can make a run to the playoffs with them. That season I took the Flames circa '99-'00 (or was it 00-01) to the playoffs remains a cherished accomplishment. Every single game I had to play my heart out to score 2 goals, and if the other team scored twice it was pretty much a given that a tie would be the best I could possibly do. Never has a video game team struggled on offense like those goddamn ham-fisted no-tal nobodies. I HATED the team by the end because I couldn't even let the CPU simulate a game against freaking expansion teams without getting lit up.

Malakhov

Banned
I've corrected some teams like the people asked for it.

Marty, try to resolve something with FMT, I'm sure one of you is able to make a compromise? Some people here in this thread (like Bishop and Fifty) haven't made a big deal out of not having their team and did switch. Hopefully you two can do the same.

Is there any way two players can share a team? I'd be more than willing to play 41 games as the Canucks with bish.

You know, so long as he's gotten better since the last time we played.

Malakhov

Banned
Mike Works said:
You know, so long as he's gotten better since the last time we played.
No kidding, I owned him with the Habs when I played against him ;)
I don't think you can share a team though.

No one's answered my question about 2 dudes sharing a team yet.

And for the record, if bish HAS to be the Canucks, I'd be cool with either Tampa or NYI.

Ramirez

No teams can't be shared if NFL is anything to go by,I've never even heard a developer say they were considering it :p

Haha I didn't catch that =) I was just trying to get it up quickly so people who already called dibs would get noticed. Dopey called them first. So hopefully this gets straighten out quickly. Sorry FMT, I've got the Sharks.

I would have started the official thread based on this list, but thought it was way too soon given it was a month away. Not to mention, who really browses this forum every day, constantly? I sure as heck don't.

sorry me!? sorry YOU! i called the sharks, and according to my sources i'm going to be the sharks!

and the only kind of people who browse this forum everyday are bums like me. yes, it takes time, but then again i get to use the teams i want in various tournament ;)

p.s. the only way i would possibly think about considering letting you have the sharks is if we play a head to head match before the "season" starts. winner gets to be the sharks! if you are not down for that, then you're SOL and you better find a new team :D

Malakhov

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
p.s. the only way i would possibly think about considering letting you have the sharks is if we play a head to head match before the "season" starts. winner gets to be the sharks! if you are not down for that, then you're SOL and you better find a new team :D
Oh will he accept the challenge? ;)

I have a very limited enjoyment of hockey. I'm an avid Sharks and hockey fan, but outside of that my interest falls off dramatically. I only know one team, as I don't keep up with the rest of the league or the players in the league. I can honestly say that if I'm not the Sharks then I don't think I can play any other team since I won't know them like I do the Sharks. I know who is good, who isn't good, what their strengths and weaknesses are. I'd be at a severe disadvantage, not to mention unenjoyable stand point if I had to pick any other team. I did call it first, and can't see how he has the right to it.

Top Bottom