• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB rates Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception for Vita

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The sequel duology is one of the best games I've played this gen. Fair warning though - these games are VNs first and SRPGs second. You'll be doing at least 2-3 times as much reading as playing. They also contain a ton of slice of life/gag scenes which some people find slow. Story/characters are the main draw of these games but it's kind of a VLR without 999 situation if the first game isn't localized.

Btw OP the image you have in the first post is the cover of 2-2 and not 2-1.
Edit - looks like you fixed it

The sequel duology is one of the best games I've played this gen. Fair warning though - these games are VNs first and SRPGs second. You'll be doing at least 2-3 times as much reading as playing. They also contain a ton of slice of life/gag scenes which some people find slow. Story/characters are the main draw of these games but it's kind of a VLR without 999 situation if the first game isn't localized.

You have my attention.

I've never heard of this but I've been getting into visual novels over the last few years. Do you need to have played the first one to play this?

Edit: Nevermind. Just seen the 999/VLR comparison.

There were rumors going around that Aquaplus did not like the way Atlus handled the DT2 release and that they wouldn't work with Atlus again.

To be fair, it's possible there was still truth to that rumor, just that they may have been referring to NISA (European publisher) rather than Atlus (NA publisher).

The complete silence of any titles after DT2 certainly added fuel to the fire though.

Saphirax

To be fair, it's possible there was still truth to that rumor, just that they may have been referring to NISA (European publisher) rather than Atlus (NA publisher).

The complete silence of any titles after DT2 certainly added fuel to the fire though.

That makes the whole NISA - Atlus not working together anymore even worse :/.

uygfct.gif

Obligatory, from the first anime.

Obligatory "this sure is a Vita game"

That makes the whole NISA - Atlus not working together anymore even worse :/.

Wouldn't it be the opposite? Assuming NISA was the bad part of the equation, isn't it best they're not involved anymore?

Though if it really is digital-only it won't even matter.

Saphirax

Obligatory "this sure is a Vita game"

Wouldn't it be the opposite? Assuming NISA was the bad part of the equation, isn't it best they're not involved anymore?

Though if it really is digital-only it won't even matter.

Oh, certainly! I was merely saying that it was a bad situation overall and adding the whole Aquaplus issue would make it even worse.

Anoxida

question for VN nerds

can I watch the anime instead of playing the first game

I echo this question. I rather not watch the anime either since im really picky what anime I spend what little extra time I have for it. Is it possible to just hop into this game? If I miss some references that's fine but I dont want to be totally lost.

3Kaze

question for VN nerds

If you want a summary of the first game yeah, I guess you can. It cut out all the slice of life parts (some gag scenes have been adapted as OVA), including some characters development so the cast doesn't feel united as a family like they do in the game though.

I echo this question. I rather not watch the anime either since im really picky what anime I spend what little extra time I have for it. Is it possible to just hop into this game? If I miss some references that's fine but I dont want to be totally lost.

Yes, it's fine. New cast, new story. Several characters from the first game appear and you'll be clueless about them but they don't play big roles anyway.

Alexlf

Oh boy, more Underwater Ray Romano. Why the vita though? Not port begging, but I genuinely think they'd make dramatically more money on the PC.

Saphirax

Oh boy, more Underwater Ray Romano. Why the vita though? Not port begging, but I genuinely think they'd make dramatically more money on the PC.

It's a vita/ps4/ps3 game. PC port would be up to Aquaplus. The first game was on PC, but the two others are not.

Ryuukan

you're supposed to say "they're leaving money on the table" when you dry beg for pc ports

3Kaze

It's a vita/ps4/ps3 game. PC port would be up to Aquaplus. The first game was on PC, but the two others are not.

Aquaplus were publishing (adult) games on PC through their Leaf branch, but haven't done so since White Album 2 ~closing chapter~ in 2011, so I guess they're done with PC for now.

mejin

holy crap.

this is one of the series I thought would never be localized. And they finished the trilogy last year in Japan.

I'd take both in a heartbeat and would be great if it comes for PS4 and Vita.

Finally. I had begun to give up hope.
question for VN nerds

It's probably what is recommended given that the only version of the first game translated is the original version which is not that good compared to the PS2 remake.
First game never got a PC port of the PS2 version that makes it a lot better either.

Quixzlizx

Finally. I had begun to give up hope.

It's probably what is recommended given that the only version of the first game translated is the original version which is not that good compared to the PS2 remake.

First game never got a PC port of the PS2 version that makes it a lot better either.

Was everything changed for the PS2 version, or just the gameplay mechanics?

3Kaze

Added new scenes and characters, voice acting, and tweaked the story to be all-ages.

Also better mechanics, new stages and game rebalance (number of enemies, their location, harder than the PC version). It's still the same game overall though, more refined but not really "much better" to me. The added scenes and character are just side story stuff.

Tohsaka

Nice, I'll buy this. I watched the anime but I read that a lot of stuff was changed/skipped so I was hoping this would get localized. They better be committed to localizing the sequel too since it'd really suck to not get the ending to the series.

Nice, I'll buy this. I watched the anime but I read that a lot of stuff was changed/skipped so I was hoping this would get localized. They better be committed to localizing the sequel too since it'd really suck to not get the ending to the series.

Yeah , there is no reason to localise this one if they don't plan to get the Last part

18-Volt

Hell yes! Give me that Sting SRPG goodness! It's been years since I played one of their SRPG's (Tears to Tiara 2, I believe).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I haven't paid attention to Utawarerumono from the anime adaption of The One Being Sung years ago(of course besides picking up Aquapazza for that Touka goodness)

How are the games and visual novels?

Hell yes! Give me that Sting SRPG goodness! It's been years since I played one of their SRPG's (Tears to Tiara 2, I believe).
I'm assuming this game is similar to TT2, since even that game was more of a VN than an SRPG. I loved it too, so I'm very happy to have this come over, especially on Vita.

Yesssssssssssssss!

Can't wait for this. I avoided the anime adaptation after hearing bad things about, but now that it's coming out for the Vita (and possibly PS4) it's easily a day one buy for me. I've been itching to play a SRPG recently and this should more than satisfy it once it's out.

BTA

Oh dang, I'd heard pretty great things about this + the third game.

Is the bolded bit true? Others in the thread are making it seem more minor than that; I'm wondering if it's worth playing (or just watching) the original first or not.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Oh dang, I'd heard pretty great things about this + the third game.

Is the bolded bit true? Others in the thread are making it seem more minor than that; I'm wondering if it's worth playing (or just watching) the original first or not.
The payoffs that you'll miss by not playing the first game are more similar to the
Junpei
reveal in VLR rather than plot critical stuff. 2-1 (and 2-2 in particular) actually re-use the plot twist reveal from the first game and then expand on it so you won't be lost there for the most part, but one or two major mysteries and their resolutions won't mean anything to you. Certain character appearances and references once in a while will be lost on you and not explained at all for players who didn't play the first game (particularly 2-2 and even the final scene). I've never seen either anime adaptation so I have no idea how well those work as substitutes for game-relevant knowledge but at least knowing the characters from the first game will be better than nothing.

KLoWn

I really liked the first one when I played it years ago. Is this one considered as good, or better?
Also, the soundtrack on the last game was epic, is this one up to par?

Top Bottom