• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City |OT| -- Fight & Heal Sail the Open Seas!

I already know that when this game arrives I will spend the whole day trying to get a party together and then just quitting the game because I'm indicisive as fuck. I also can't come up with names if my life depended on it.

Can't wait! :D

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shinjitsu said:
I totally forgot this was coming out this month. Maybe it can break me away from EVE Online and Demon's Souls!
There's no reason you can't play EO3 while your hulk fills up with ore!

firex

Can't wait to play this with my awesomely named party of awesome jobs that are 90% new.

Even though I liked EO2 (up to a point) this is much more of a real sequel.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
QisTopTier said:
I like how most of the male characters are hardcore or awesome. Then almost all the girls are tiny little moe girls... wtf japan :lol

I find the dichotomy between the Monks to be disarmingly honest. Almost charming, really.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
You know it occurs to me that if you reverse the order of the pictures for the Farmer...

dTfJL.jpg
e8VqX.jpg

...you end up with a tableau of impending tragedy.

Apparently a farmer has an ability that boosts the parties experience if they survive the battle. The sound like they'll not only be integral for farming items but also to help train your other classes up.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shinjitsu said:
Dammit you made my blow tea out of my nose laughing at this.
It's true. One of my favorite activities to do while mission grinding or mining is to bust out the DS.

Larsen B

jaundicejuice said:
Apparently a farmer has an ability that boosts the parties experience if they survive the battle. The sound like they'll not only be integral for farming items but also to help train your other classes up.

Didn't Troubadours already have a skill like this? And it wasn't that great a skill.

Can't wait to make a group of farmers and go... well... farming.

TheChaos

ixix said:
I find the dichotomy between the Monks to be disarmingly honest. Almost charming, really.

I looked at all the artwork. Out of the 20 or so female portraits, I only saw like 3 that looked over the age of 15. :lol

vall03

TheChaos said:
I looked at all the artwork. Out of the 20 or so female portraits, I only saw like 3 that looked over the age of 15. :lol
I'll be honest here, this is going to be the first time Im going to create an all female party in Etrian Odyssey :lol

Ricker

NemesisPrime said:
Dear god, looks awesome. Still have to finish the first though :(

Same here,I`m stuck at a Boss that I need to do the same run,over and over to level up,and it`s slow)and I have II that I didn`t even touch,I bought it when it came out,because I couldn`t find a copy if I wanted to get it this week...i`ll probably have to buy this also because it will be nowhere to be found in a few months.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oh damn. Didn't realize this was out so soon. I crushed EO, including the post-game content, but I've yet to match that feat in EO2!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Got my pre-order down! Can't wait can't wait! That artbook looks sweeeeet.

i swear, I'm not normally a dungeon crawler fan, but something about the EO formula just works. The ridiculous character customization is a huge part of that, probably. If there's one thing I can't stand in RPGs its "you leveled up! Here is a boost to a few random skills that completely ignores whatever direction you might want for that character!"

notworksafe

Going to put this in my "RPGs to play" queue. I'll buy it now and play it after I finish P3P, BBS, and Nostalgia. :lol

EDIT: Oooh forgot VC2 in that list as well. Too many portable RPGs!

DR2K

Banned
Lets see I got BBS, VC2, P3P, DQ9, Pokemon Superior Silver, MGSPW, and now this. Also starting Resonance of Fate again. I'm freaking drowning.

mjc

Is this one gonna be as punishing as the first two have been? I love the mapmaking mechanic but the difficulty is too much for me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Whoa wait :lol
scdhg4.jpg

Read haired female martial artist with a ponytail? :lol Could that be a coincidence?
Hello first member of my party. I know what I'm naming you

Tiktaalik

Whoa that's a whole interesting new set of classes. One would expect simply warrior/mage and then a few extras.

I like what they've done here.

Yaweee

I want to play, I know I will play it eventually, but damnit my backlog is too huge. Even at thirty dollars it would be one of the more expensive games I've bought recently.

botticus

Only 8 days away!

So can the Wildling only summon a monster into a 4-person party (needs an open spot)? I've read different elsewhere, so I'll assume "open" means you get one (sixth) spot for them.

notworksafe said:
Going to put this in my "RPGs to play" queue. I'll buy it now and play it after I finish P3P, BBS, and Nostalgia. :lol
Let's be serious here - you can at the very least play this before Nostalgia. I suppose the others are up to personal preference.

Glix

I wanted to play the others, but I had already heard about this one, so I decided to wait. Now, I've promised myself I won't get it till I'm done with SMT:SJ, which is awesome. Also, Knights in the Nightmare (fucking AMAZING AMAZING GAME) and DQ9 are in my DS rotation....

Grrrrr.....

I really hope I get around to this game though!

Boogiepop

The_Technomancer said:
scdhg4.jpg

Read haired female martial artist with a ponytail? :lol Could that be a coincidence?
Hello first member of my party. I know what I'm naming you
Hehe, same thought I had when I saw that.
And god, loved EOII soooo much, so I'm uber excited for this (though I still need to beat the real final boss in EOII. Having to grind up to real full power is time consuming.) Can't wait, especially since I actually managed to convince my roommate to pick it up :)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
hrmm seems like there's no medic equivlant class in this one

he was really good before so maybe they took him out? but how can we heal then???

botticus said:
So can the Wildling only summon a monster into a 4-person party (needs an open spot)? I've read different elsewhere, so I'll assume "open" means you get one (sixth) spot for them.

If I understood correctly, there's a sixth slot which is used for "guest" party members; the Wildling puts its animal companions in that slot, but some of the other classes also use it for other stuff.

Yaweee

jon bones said:
hrmm seems like there's no medic equivlant class in this one

he was really good before so maybe they took him out? but how can we heal then???

Several of the classes have healing skills, and it seems like everybody gets a self-heal non-combat heal? I think one of the preview threads had links to interactive skill trees.

EDIT: Thanks, lyre

lyre

The old japanese party maker can be of use again here: http://sq3.atlusnet.jp/special/sp_blogparts.html

And here's an EO3 skill simulator (made by gamefaqqers):http://www.intothelabyrinth.net/etrianodyssey3/skillsim/

Impressions from our favourite EO loving, UGnG hating, former Retronaut hosting Toastyfrog (only covers the first floor and little else; unless you also hate starting game spoilers). First Second

The_Technomancer said:
http://i52.tinypic.com/scdhg4.jpg[IMG]

Hello first member of my party. I know what I'm naming [I]you[/I][/QUOTE]
[url=http://www.1up.com/media/03/8/3/8/lg/614.jpg]Yeah, everyone knows.[/url]

[QUOTE=The_Technomancer]There doesn't seem to be a dedicated Healer class this time around, I'm guessing Monks and Farmers mostly fill that niche?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=jon bones]hrmm seems like there's no medic equivlant class in this one

he was really good before so maybe they took him out? but how can we heal then???[/QUOTE]
Every character class has the ability to heal one ally outside of battle as a generic skill (like HP Up, TP Up, etc), so anyone can be the healing bitch.

Nice, moar comics (linked due to not english).
[url]http://sq3-blog.atlusnet.jp/blog/blog_img/100716_02img.jpg[/url]
[url]http://sq3-blog.atlusnet.jp/blog/blog_img/100716_01img.jpg[/url]

Obligatory manty shot goes here:
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/90c16r.jpg

End, a beaver shot:
jgkr5u.jpg

firex

The_Technomancer said:
There doesn't seem to be a dedicated Healer class this time around, I'm guessing Monks and Farmers mostly fill that niche?
monks and princes/princesses can do some healing in combat, and everybody can learn a first aid style skill that heals out of combat.

nli10

It's coming to the UK for me - I'm expecting it early Oct I guess. I'm a first timer so should have a great time getting killed.

Not finished DQIX either, probably will finish main quest & trade it when this comes.

charlequin said:
If I understood correctly, there's a sixth slot which is used for "guest" party members; the Wildling puts its animal companions in that slot, but some of the other classes also use it for other stuff.

Like the ninja for example, they can create a dupe of themselves that you will be able to control!

No idea what party I'll go with once my amazon pre-order actually gets here...wouldn't be surprised if it is a good while until I get around to it.

I usually veer away from the whole "skill points for stat points" angle in general though, preferring to spend on ones that add new outright functions/happenings of either a passive or active flavor.

Volcynika

They added some iPhone wallpapers on the website (linked in OP, in Downloads section)

Also someone commented on their Facebook post about that and said they got their pre-order artbook from GameStop. Might want to call around if you preordered there and get your book!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I totally forgot this was coming out soon. I don't want to get it, but I must.

An Arbalist is definitely going on my team... The male looks too badass. Are there only one male and one female of each class? Or are there mulitples?

Crazetex

I've never finished an EO game, but I love them to death.

Being able to turn anybody into a healerbitch sounds really refreshing, especially when I have characters like Ronin and Protectors in EO2 that only have passive skills.

Neo C.

Max level is 99 again? Or 71?

And do FOEs give experience points? It was a huge letdown in EO2 that I didn't get rewarded with exp.

Top Bottom