• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City |OT| -- Fight & Heal Sail the Open Seas!

Bento

Neo C. said:
Max level is 99 again? Or 71?

And do FOEs give experience points? It was a huge letdown in EO2 that I didn't get rewarded with exp.
In the promotional video series they did for EO3 they mention in one of them that FOE once again reward EXP when defeated. Looking forward to that since the lack of EXP made defeating them a lot less satisfying.

Neo C.

Bento said:
In the promotional video series they did for EO3 they mention in one of them that FOE once again reward EXP when defeated. Looking forward to that since the lack of EXP made defeating them a lot less satisfying.
Yay!

4id0fb.gif

Neo C.

NichM said:
The starting level cap is 70, but the way you raise it is more fun than it was in II.
So many good news! Can't wait till I can get my copy
shipped from Canada to Europe. :(

entremet

RPG overload with the handheld systems. Just recently we've gotten DQIX, EOIII, KH:BBS, VC2, PSP2, and Y's 7. It's times like these when I wish my commute times were actually longer.

Kifimbo

Anyone already played it ?

What am I suppose to do on my first trip on my boat ? There is a flag where the tower is, but I only have 6 turns.

Kifimbo said:

What am I suppose to do on my first trip on my boat ? There is a flag where the tower is, but I only have 6 turns.
Is some place already selling this? I thought it doesn't come out till Tuesday.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Been super excited about this for a while. I'm kind of sad that the Dark Hunter doesn't exist anymore though :(

I think I've finally settled on:
Hoplite Gladiator
Monk Wildling Arbalist

The ninja looks so cool but I've already fallen in love with the Wildling and the two of them conflict. So I can't go ninja.

Neo C.

Back line doesn't seem easy to be made, I'll try with this starting line up:

Hoplite, Ranma, Princess
Farmer, Arbalist

If more offense is needed, Gladiator will replace Ranma.

Kifimbo said:

I haven't played the game yet but based off of what I have read,
I believe the distance which you can sail is entirely dependent on the item you used as supplies for the trip. The better the item, the more turns you will out at sea.
Nich can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the case.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Man, my avatar has barely had a week to stick with one look this season. And it doesn't look to be changing anytime soon, what with Scribblenauts, Kirby, DCK, Epic Mickey....

Az987

all good things
rainking187 said:
My copy from Amazon with release date delivery has shipped.

mine hasn't. Dammit

I had to switch from 2 day shipping to release date because it wasn't being offered when my order was placed. I Wonder if that's why.

Oh well, when I bought Metroid Other M and didn't get it until the day after release I got a $5.00 gift certificate.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Az987 said:
mine hasn't. Dammit

I had to switch from 2 day shipping to release date because it wasn't being offered when my order was placed. I Wonder if that's why.
same =\

ijed

VG+ is still waiting on stock by the looks of it...

vgp.ca said:
This product will be in stock on Thursday 23 September, 2010.

gah - Then another week or so till it makes it's way to my mailbox ... :(

Neo C.

2s7yxz5.jpg

There's nothing like a beautiful collage of various character classes in EOIII to prove you're hardcore.

Hang it up for 10+ friend envy.

:lol

sphinx

the piano man
fuck, this will be the first time I'll pre-order a game in my life.

I want that god damned book sooo bad.. >_<.. I hate to give in.

ijed

jaundicejuice said:
Oh well, just more time I can spend playing Birth By Sleep.

Yarp - finished DQ9 story on the weekend so guess i'll just grind some grottoes till my copy arrives ^_^

Althane

So I'm thinking I'm gonna get it today.

Anyone have suggestions for a good starting party? I was thinking Hoplite and Warrior for front, Noble and Ninja for back, with maybe a Farmer for gathering.

Barbarian

I can't wait to receive my copy. Please, Amazon, do not delay it!

As a 35-year-old gamer, one of my first experiences with the RPG genre was The Bard's Tale on my Apple IIc. It thrills me that this style of game is making such a comeback on Nintendo DS. (I even wrote an article about what I am calling grid-based dungeon crawler RPGs).

Anyone who gets the game today, please share your thoughts. If Amazon doesn't come through, I plan to experience the game vicariously through the GAF!

turnbuckle

Oxx said:
Sorry EOIII but DQIX continues to reign supreme.

Pre-order cancelled.
I love dq, but all that's left is grinding through uninspiring random dungeons ad nauseum. Eo is gonna be a refreshing experience compared to dq postgame.

The Technomancer

Neo C. said:
There's nothing like a beautiful collage of various character classes in EOIII to prove you're hardcore.

Hang it up for 10+ friend envy.

:lol
Haha, that is going right up next to my Scott Pilgrim poster. I hope I get the pre-order bonuses, I only placed my order a week and a half ago.

Well, I got my email from Amazon saying it shipped. Now just have to wait for UPS, who usually drops off packages late in the afternoon. Stupid UPS.

Also, was the art book anyone else's main reason for picking this up? I mean, I want the game too obviously, but that art book was just too much to pass up. I've really only played a little bit of the first game and none of the second, though I do have it. (I'm very late to the DS party, only got mine in July.)

Althane

DidntKnowJack said:
Well, I got my email from Amazon saying it shipped. Now just have to wait for UPS, who usually drops off packages late in the afternoon. Stupid UPS.

Also, was the art book anyone else's main reason for picking this up? I mean, I want the game too obviously, but that art book was just too much to pass up. I've really only played a little bit of the first game and none of the second, though I do have it. (I'm very late to the DS party, only got mine in July.)

Actually, the art book IS why I preordered it, otherwise I would have just dropped by the local GStop whenever I felt like it.

It's my opinion that the second game is much much better than the first (and I'm hoping EO3 will be much much better than the second), so ... well, since EO3's already out, I guess I can't really suggest playing the second one... except I really do.

So go play the second one. =P

sphinx

the piano man
The artbook made me give in..

is anyone in Europe preordering from Videogamesplus.ca? I preordered from them and shipping is CAN $3.75 to Germany for a total of $38.74 and I wrote a message saying they should cancel my order if for whatever reason they can't ship the book.

Charging only $3.75 CAN to GER for a game AND A BOOK, which are damn heavy, seems a bit suspicious to me. Anyone knows how big is the book? Is it different for any of you?

Anyway I only preordered and will pay on thursday when they have it in stock.

Damn it was a bit on the expensive side... just this time because I absolutely love the EO games.

I also pre-ordered from VGP and got the same low shipping cost. IIRC, it was the same when I ordered Raidou 2 and other larger packages.

The Technomancer

Thinking about it, the way that the Farmer is supposed to be able to accelerate XP gain a bit, I'll probably be able to actually experiment this time around, as opposed to EO2 where I didn't make anyone outside of my dedicated 5 because I didn't want to spend hours upon hours getting others up to snuff. Last time I pretty much ran Landsknecht, Gunner, Ronin, Medic, Alchemist straight through.

NichM

Banned
Informal poll: I've talked to a few EO fans who didn't know this game has a New Game+ mode, even though we posted the details about it a few days ago on the game's official website. It's possible that you, the person reading this, didn't know about it until I said so just now.

So how many of you go to game websites? And those of you who do, how many of you check back regularly for updates?

The Technomancer

NichM said:
Informal poll: I've talked to a few EO fans who didn't know this game has a New Game+ mode, even though we posted the details about it a few days ago on the game's official website. It's possible that you, the person reading this, didn't know about it until I said so just now.

So how many of you go to game websites? And those of you who do, how many of you check back regularly for updates?
It depends on whether I think they're giving actual information or not. The problem is that I tend to get better information from general sites like IGN and NeoGAF. Most of the time, there just isn't anything to warrant me going to a dedicated game site.

That being said, I've checked out the EO3 site a few times to look at the classes and such.

Lain

sphinx said:
The artbook made me give in..

is anyone in Europe preordering from Videogamesplus.ca? I preordered from them and shipping is CAN $3.75 to Germany for a total of $38.74 and I wrote a message saying they should cancel my order if for whatever reason they can't ship the book.

Charging only $3.75 CAN to GER for a game AND A BOOK, which are damn heavy, seems a bit suspicious to me. Anyone knows how big is the book? Is it different for any of you?

Anyway I only preordered and will pay on thursday when they have it in stock.

Damn it was a bit on the expensive side... just this time because I absolutely love the EO games.

EO3 was on a special half shipping cost for everyone who preordered it on VG+, I don't think you have to worry. At least I hope, I'm in Europe as well and waiting for my order to ship.

NichM said:

Do you mean official game websites? Or just game websites in general, cause... I like to visit the official game websites, but no offense intended, but I noticed some times Atlus websites don't get many updates. As an example like 80% of the My World My Way official site is still just listed as "Coming Soon". The game was released more than a year ago. I don't think it's coming.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
NichM said:

This game has a ng+ mode?
Thing is, I tend to not care about researching games I know I'm going to buy. EO3 was on my 'to buy' list long before it's localization was announced, so I never bothered to look heavily into it's feature-set, or read previews or import reviews, etc.

I get most of my info from GAF. Well...usually GAF directs me to wherever the info is, then I'll visit those game sites.

Anyway, still waiting for friggin' UPS. Bah!

The only promotional material for Etrian Odyssey III that I've looked at would be what I get from the Atlus Faithful mailing list, the occasional Nintendo Power article and whatever you've posted on your youtube channel. I haven't visited the official site once.

Top Bottom