• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU- Referendum for the UK..... Neogaf UK are you in or out?

Should the United Kingdom leave the EU?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkuss

I'll be voting to stay in, no question.

There's issues with migration for sure (the area I live in has succumb to more crime (and lots of the violent) over the last 5 or so years). However the majority are paying more in to the economy than they take out and the vast majority have settled in and blended fairly well (and I do love me some interesting foods which have appeared recently).

I have no issues with the things people get mad with such as the EU Human Rights laws; all for them.

jelly

I don't know how they'll convince anyone, negative scare tactics are weak, red tape monster, what isn't and positives are so easily dismissed as not a big deal in day to day life of most people even though it's good things like common trade, rules and protection.

Cameron is playing a dangerous game, it could so easily be a no result even though that's what he doesn't want.

Spaghetti

Probably the economic mess and emboldened enemies of Europe that would come from a UK exit. Oh wait, no, it'll be poor people and immigrants, as always.
Likely.

I do wonder what the end game will be for the scapegoaters if they do indeed get everything they want. Who'll be left to blame for the problems?

voting to leave the EU but I am not expecting the leave side to win. I have no doubt over the next 2 months we will be bombarded with shit like "this lil baby needs an incubator, if we leave the EU this baby will die, you aren't a child killer are you ? Vote to stay in Europe".

Audioboxer

Likely.

I do wonder what the end game will be for the scapegoaters if they do indeed get everything they want. Who'll be left to blame for the problems?

Maybe individuals in the government for once who actually do a lot of the shit that screws the country up? Maybe we can hope people actually hold politicians accountable for once and not bogeymen, poor people and immigrants.

Ashes

Banned
IN. The replacement strategy seems to want replace our relationship with the EU with something like the EU. So why waste more money and time making this so?

kharma45

really? I honestly find it difficult to understand how anyone could consider out.

Economically it'd be a nightmare to leave. We would risk losing a metric ton of inward investment to mainland Europe - car factories etc.

The current setup is pretty well balanced as a common market approach. The government has and will continue to push against joining the Euro, and will resist closer political union.

The leave side tends to have a strong advantage in terms of the strength of arguments. Everything from regaining control over immigration and the economy, to being able to make our own trade deals, safeguarding London from further EU regulation etc.

In saying that as someone from Northern Ireland we've done well from EU Peace money, my own home city especially, and part of me feels that Westminster, regardless of who's in power, would bother to do the same.

Now you can of course argue that better to be in and help make the EU itself better but Cameron just showed that our negotiating power in the EU is basically fuck all. The actual Prime Minister of the United Kingdom spent three days personally negotiating and came out with almost nothing. He wanted to stop paying child benefit to people who don't even have children here, and they said no.

If there were promises to see EU rural funding being continued by Westminster if we left then I might lean towards leaving.

The leave side tends to have a strong advantage in terms of the strength of arguments. Everything from regaining control over immigration and the economy, to being able to make our own trade deals, safeguarding London from further EU regulation etc.

In saying that as someone from Northern Ireland we've done well from EU Peace money, my own home city especially, and part of me feels that Westminster, regardless of who's in power, would bother to do the same.

Now you can of course argue that better to be in and help make the EU itself better but Cameron just showed that our negotiating power in the EU is basically fuck all. The actual Prime Minister of the United Kingdom spent three days personally negotiating and came out with almost nothing. He wanted to stop paying child benefit to people who don't even have children here, and they said no.

If there were promises to see EU rural funding being continued if we left then I might lean towards leaving.
The UK actually has pretty large negotiating power. You already have special rules for stuff. You opted out of the Euro having control over your own monetary policy. You have border control unlike other EU countries limiting immigration. You saved a ton of money a few years back in negotiations about the contribution.

You can't expect the whole continent to just do as the UK wants. Just like we don't just listen to what France wants, or Italy, or Poland. That's why it's an union.

MetalSlug

I'm voting to stay in the EU, but I hope it's an overall majority to leave and that England votes out, while Scotland votes in.

Ashes

Banned
Not from the UK but I really want to see what happens to the City in the event of an "out" vote.

The City of London Corporation ain't going nowhere. There's nothing else like it anywhere else in the world let alone Europe. To my knowledge anyway. So these folks saying banks will move to Paris or something is blowing smoke up people's arses about how great the EU is and why this lets them stay in London. Most of them are technically not based here for tax purposes anyway.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

If there were promises to see EU rural funding being continued by Westminster if we left then I might lean towards leaving.

Making our own trade deals won't help if nobody will invest in us because its easier to build factories in mainland Europe and sell to 250m people rather than arse about with specific deals for one little country.

daviyoung

Banned
I don't at all

swad1g1xmyolckwhxvev.jpg

Ashes

Banned
Making our own trade deals won't help if nobody will invest in us because its easier to build factories in mainland Europe and sell to 250m people rather than arse about with specific deals for one little country.

The US seems to do just fine. India too. China too.

As an American, can someone explain to me why this is happening? Just curious.

Going to read the other thread I saw, maybe I'll find my answer there. Only saw this one

As someone who isn't from the UK I'd say that the recent problems like the financial crisis and the refugee crisis have led to more nationalist right wing movements gaining attention in the UK, proposing exiting the EU and ignoring the problems as a solution.

But I have no idea whats really going on in the UK. I just see how they're uncomfortable with helping when it comes to the refugee crisis or even greece and that a lot of right wing narrative is coming from over there. I even saw Nigel Farrage on Fox News a couple of times. They're like the perfect fit.

They also don't like the european parliament making some decisions for them.

But these are market that can't be ignored. Thats not necessarily the case für the UK.

Instead of leaving EU the government needs to clamp down on people flying in to the UK to get free operations and aftercare only to fly out again and not contribute in taxes.
In all fairness this number is grossly exaggerated by the fact that it includes people on legitimate holidays which is money that we are ultimately paid back by their insurance. People coming to the UK to have surgery/medicine and then leaving accounted for something stupid like 0.3% of that actual number but UKIP and people who dislike the EU take the number as a whole to scare people and make them angry - I'll have a google when I get home and see if I can cite this for you.

I agree with the sentiment of the rest of your post, 6 months does seem like a reasonable waiting period and the implicating that it should be longer makes me feel quite uneasy.

US is 300 million people. China and India over a billion. UK is 64 million. Both France and Germany are larger, with easier access from there to export to the whole region.

Of course they are not going to ignore that market, but priority will be the EU with a market of 440 million.

kharma45

Our trade with the EU is, and has been for quite a while, on a downward trajectory

Capture_3336133b.jpg

Principate

Saint Titanfall

UK on it's own isn't as large and important as those countries, in many area's it's hardly a death knell, but considering the UK puts in minimal and gets a lot out, it's hardly worth it.

He's referring to the fear mongering we can expect from the establishment and the media. They will paint a picture of economic despair and use that, the threat of another Scottish referendum and other worries to cast doubt and coerce people to vote to stay or not vote at all.

Maybe individuals in the government for once who actually do a lot of the shit that screws the country up? Maybe we can hope people actually hold politicians accountable for once and not bogeymen, poor people and immigrants.

Also let's not forget that anybody who votes to leave is a bigot, right?

grumble

The U.K. Is not on their level. Wasn't that part of the point of the eu in the first place? To create a political and economic bloc that has the population-based and economic negotiating power and scale to play on that level?

Ashes

Banned
UK on it's own isn't as large and important as those countries, in many area's it's hardly a death knell, but considering the UK puts in minimal and gets a lot out, it's hardly worth it.

Agreed. We'd be negotiating with the EU as a whole so bureaucratically everything would be roughly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom