• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

Max. distance covered in Italy - Germany: Claudio 'Little Prince' Marchisio - 12,3km. He's also the overall leader with 62,5km. What's possibly even more amazing is that the runner-up is Pirlo, with 61,9km covered. Thank you, based Conte's athletic staff.
Even if it means these two will most likely be running on reserve for a good part of next season. :(

claudio-marchisio-test-a-firenze.jpeg

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
remind me again, how many did klose have?
worked great for germany
To me Klose's movement off the ball is much better than Gomez'

Surr he didn't have one on ones but once he came in Germany looked better. Of course being 2 goals down is too much of a handicap against a team with solid defense.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Max. distance covered in Italy - Germany: Claudio 'Little Prince' Marchisio - 12,3km. He's also the overall leader with 62,5km. What's possibly even more amazing is the that the runner-up is Pirlo, with 61,9km covered. Thank you, based Conte's athletic staff.
Even if it means these two will most likely be running on reserve for a good part of next season. :(

Incredible really.

Asamoah and Isla will get more playing time in the first half of the season ;)
Too bad about Verratti

derExperte

a new bayern fan!
awesome. let me be the first to welcome you here.

Well, thank you kind sir. Glad being here (and kind of surprised, I thought it would take a year or so before getting approved and not a week, almost a bit anticlimactic..).

^ German to English translation please

"Exclusive: BILD shows Italy's line-up."

and

"We wish you a safe journey home."

Probably would have been on the frontpage tomorrow if we won. Or was it the one from today? Would make more sense.

spidye

To me Klose's movement off the ball is much better than Gomez'

Surr he didn't have one on ones but once he came in Germany looked better. Of course being 2 goals down is too much of a handicap against a team with solid defense.

well here's my problem. sure he can run with theball but IMO looking better means actually creating chances or scoring goals.
I guess it comes down to different philosophies.

Antiochus

It is truly heartbreaking yet pathetic that such as a powerhouse like Germany that always manage to advance so furiously and yet choke up so disastrously whenever they are close to the finals. This has been the holding pattern since WC 2002, WC 2006, Euro 08, and WC 2010. This recent defeat has got to give them a entry in the recordbooks of some sort.

But on the plus side, we now know that Euro-Austerity is truly now and well defeated and vanquished.

Dibbz

Just want to say I wanted Germany to get to the final.

So I could watch the Bayern bunch choke... again this season. Would have been amazing to get to the final of the German Cup, lose, final of CL (At their home), lose then do the same in Euro but alas this will have to do.

Italy v Spain was great the first time this year, so more of that would be great.

fuenf

Just want to say I wanted Germany to get to the final.

So I could watch the Bayern bunch choke... again this season. Would have been amazing to get to the final of the German Cup, lose, final of CL (At their home), lose then do the same in Euro but alas this will have to do.

Italy v Spain was great the first time this year, so more of that would be great.

Couldnt even get 2nd... there can only be one reason: Too many Dortmund players!
Dortmund's bad form in European Competitions must've rubbed off on the entire squad. :( (just look at Poland if you need further proof).

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm happy for Italy, but I really wanted Germany to win. I think it would have made for a much better final. I fear another 0-0 penalty shoot out.

Dibbz

Couldnt even get 2nd... there can only be one reason: Too many Dortmund players!
Dortmund's bad form in European Competitions must've rubbed off on the entire squad. :( (just look at Poland if you need further proof).

lol this is also a good point (they sucked in europe) but to be fair, the dortmund players throughout this tournament have been amongst the best. To me it's more of the bayern players choking that fucked them up in this game.

Congrats to Italy. As already mentioned several times I couldn't really get excited for the german team because of it's new found "balance of offense and defense". What a load of crap. This team is in parts still too unexperienced, lacking the proper skills and especially lacking winner mentality. Adding a stupid tactic into the mix by trying to defeat the Italians were they are the strongest, in the midfield, with highstanding pressing was basically the most stupid idea of the forever Mr. Löw. I thought Germany isn't afraid of anyone and plays its own football against anyone? Apparently not. Kudos to that.

I'm going to root for Italy, just to not see Spain win again. Because if the future of football is Spains ugly possession football or Chelsea style "parking the bus" I will throw my TV set out of the fucking window.

flippedb

Banned
Amazing win for Italy! Balo nailed it, finally. I was so happy to see Cassano making such an amazing assist, I really hope he gets some gold on Sunday, would be amazing after the problems he had a few months ago.

btw, new around here, hi footy GAF.

sneaky77

1996 para ser precisos. Si siguen así Holanda va a ganar algo antes que ellos. Okay tal vez no.

Surprised that many people are calling this an upset though. Italy has always been Germany's daddy in football.

Well is an upset because Germany was one of the big favs, but yeah I don't know that Italy winning should be considered an upset.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
1996 para ser precisos. Si siguen así Holanda va a ganar algo antes que ellos. Okay tal vez no.

Surprised that many people are calling this an upset though. Italy has always been Germany's daddy in football.

I'm not that surprised I guess, I just always think Germany is going to continue domination, but like every major tournament they seem to get stopped dead in their tracks without much warning.

It's surprising that italy put 2 goals on anyone though.

If they keep up that attacking style I'll support em over spain.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Also about Italy: In 1982 there was a huge match-fixing scandal. They won that year's World Cup. 2006, another huge match-fixing scandal. They won that year's World Cup. And now, in 2012, there's another huge match-fixing scandal and they've reached the Euro final.

No wonder they haven't learned to behave.
Oh dear.

England won a World Cup in 1966.

Spain achieved absolutely nothing until 2008 and were seen as a joke until they won the Euros.
They did win a Euro in the sixties but nobody seems to remember that.
Well said...
...such a feat! :p

LOL, as the host of a FOUR teams tournament against Soviet Union, Hungary and Denmark
Italy's only Euro win was in a four-team tournament. lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Someone thinks Italy was match-fixing?

How can they think that looking at what Italy had to go against?
That was not what I tried to imply. lol Sorry if it came off that way. I'm just saying they keep winning all these tournaments as a recompense or whatever whenever they have these scandals going on. It's ironic.
Well is an upset because Germany was one of the big favs, but yeah I don't know that Italy winning should be considered an upset.
I'm not that surprised I guess, I just always think Germany is going to continue domination, but like every major tournament they seem to get stopped dead in their tracks without much warning.

It's surprising that italy put 2 goals on anyone though.

If they keep up that attacking style I'll support em over spain.
Italy may not have the star power of Low's Germany, but they have always been one of the top teams in international football. They are second only to Brazil in history, which is why I consider this stance that today they were like David beating Goliath very disingenuous.

IceCold

That was not what I tried to imply. lol Sorry if it came off that way. I'm just saying they keep winning all these tournaments as a recompense or whatever whenever they have these scandals going on. It's ironic.

Italy may not have the star power of Low's Germany, but they have always been one of the top teams in international football. They are second only to Brazil in history, which is why I consider this stance that today they were like David beating Goliath very disingenuous.

They are tied with Uruguay ;). Technically under them as they won the Copa America a bunch of times whereas Italy won the Euro once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom