• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2016 |OT| Take a bow sson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daigoro

ICELAND KNOCK ENGLAND OUT OF EURO 2016

64c93302e377e83255f9549ec849874e_100_100.png

fucking hell, this is what the Hodge does to people.

I want Southgate now just so i can watch him implode.

glad i clicked that

Who ever wins the Saturday match will end up becoming the Euro champion.

I really hope it is Germany.

If they stick to their plan and not panic whenever Italy has the ball and is attacking I think Germany will win this game.

kromeo

Slightly surprised to see Welsh players celebrating England going out. Expect that kind of bitterness from the Scottish but guess it's still there in Wales...

Doc_Drop

Slightly surprised to see Welsh players celebrating England going out. Expect that kind of bitterness from the Scottish but guess it's still there in Wales...

What's more is that, at least people I know, were happy to see Wales do well until Ramsey and Bale started making comments about the England team. However, I don't know what it has been like to be Welsh getting comments from arsehole England fans so it may well be deserved hate. It could also be seen as a desire for Iceland to do well though

bjaelke

Kinda on this topic, just had a similar discussion and came to the conclusion that someone like Rafa Benitez could do pretty good as the England manager, he usually does well in tournament football and somehow almost saved that awful Newcastle side last season, so is still capable of getting a crap team performing. It'll never happen though, FA will give it to some other mediocre manager.
Spanish media believe it might happen. They have him as one of 4 candidates for the job.

Rafa Benítez ya suena como seleccionador de Inglaterra, otros nombres son: Wenger, Klinsmann o Southgate.

Cob32

I'd take Benitez. I don't think any of the English managers whose names have been mentioned are quite good enough.

Oersted

English football is only good at marketing. The coaches are a sorry joke, the youth academies are centuries behind, the players are simply not that good.

English football is only good at marketing. The coaches are a sorry joke, the youth academies are centuries behind, the players are simply not that good.

This is the frustrating thing with England, the players are actually half decent, especially when you look at club and qualifier / friendlies.

Come to a tournament and every person involved in the squad from the manager to the kit man loses the plot / bottle. Its damn frustrating. It's a mental issue we can't shift. We do well in friendlies where they know a loss can be dismissed easily to the media, but as soon as the pressure of a tournament hits and its a mess.

Jack cw

The problems lies way deeper. Yeah, they have an attrative league compared to France, Germany or Spain. They also have a smaller gap between the top 7 clubs, which are good but not as good as the top clubs Barca, Real, Bayern and PSG where the gap is enormous in their domestic leagues.

That is because EPL is filled with a lot of non English players that are basically average and block room for development of promising young talents. When you play against hard working defenders like Iceland in a knockout match, you have to hold against that with physical work and strong mentality, something you learn with match practice. That experience is lacking with such young players and they panic once they are in a situation like they were when Iceland scored the second goal. You can't train KO games, you have to play them.

A decent coach could help to have a good foundation in a match, but it's worthless if the players are not working for and with each other. Another thing whcih is a result of a non existing playstyle in EPL and their best clubs. That is why they are constantly outperformed by the European top clubs for years now. Since Sir Alex left, United is looking for a football they want to play - they lack talent on player, management and training level. Basically an identity crisis. City, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal are also lacking a lot of an own playstyle that goes down to their youth academy and whenever they have a young talent, expectations are over the roof and the first mistake of that guy is often rewarded with the bench. It is a fundamental problem for decades.

Oersted

Most english coaches do not understand fitness training. English players do not play outside England, sans retirement home America.

English football is fundamentally broken.

Kill3r7

The problems lies way deeper. Yeah, they have an attrative league compared to France, Germany or Spain. They also have a smaller gap between the top 7 clubs, which are good but not as good as the top clubs Barca, Real, Bayern and PSG where the gap is enormous in their domestic leagues.

That is because EPL is filled with a lot of non English players that are basically average and block room for development of promising young talents. When you play against hard working defenders like Iceland in a knockout match, you have to hold against that with physical work and strong mentality, something you learn with match practice. That experience is lacking with such young players and they panic once they are in a situation like they were when Iceland scored the second goal. You can't train KO games, you have to play them.

I agree with the gist of your statement but to be fair, the talent gap between a team like England and Italy in Euro 2016 is not that great. If anything, England has a superior front 3, the midfield is probably a wash, maybe give England a slight edge. Italy on the other hand has a superior defense/GK and arguably the best manager at this tournament when it comes to tactics. Furthermore, Italy realizes their shortcomings and work hard for each other and stick to the gameplan. Much like Atletico does at club level. Also, no one told Sterling to leave Liverpool, guaranteed starter, and go to City and sit on the bench for the foreseeable future. The rest of the team were starters for the majority of the season at club level. The real issue is that currently the best players in the EPL are all foreign players.

A decent coach could help to have a good foundation in a match, but it's worthless if the players are not working for and with each other. Another thing whcih is a result of a non existing playstyle in EPL and their best clubs. That is why they are constantly outperformed by the European top clubs for years now. Since Sir Alex left, United is looking for a football they want to play - they lack talent on player, management and training level. Basically an identity crisis. City, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal are also lacking a lot of an own playstyle that goes down to their youth academy and whenever they have a young talent, expectations are over the roof and the first mistake of that guy is often rewarded with the bench. It is a fundamental problem for decades.

Football has its ebbs and flows. There is no denying that EPL is going through a downward cycle right now but they will rise again given the financial discrepancy between it and the other leagues. Spain has been incredibly good and Germany has Bayern and BVB. FWIW, Wenger has had a system at Arsenal for a long time. When he had great players they won.

El Topo

This is the frustrating thing with England, the players are actually half decent, especially when you look at club and qualifier / friendlies.

Come to a tournament and every person involved in the squad from the manager to the kit man loses the plot / bottle. Its damn frustrating. It's a mental issue we can't shift. We do well in friendlies where they know a loss can be dismissed easily to the media, but as soon as the pressure of a tournament hits and its a mess.

Friendlies are not the penultimate measure of quality, neither are qualifier matches, just ask the Netherlands. England is the Toronto Raptors of national teams. It's not a mental issue. Teams play their best at tournaments, that is where it matters. It's not that England loses it, it's that other teams actually show up.

pulsemyne

They are the old enemy for us Welsh. Also we have had to put up for years and years and years with the unbareable english media talking constant shit about how great england are etc.

faridmon

I disagree about the Youth Accedes. The likes of Southampton, Sunderland, Everton have some of the top academies in the world, with so many talented players coming through the ranks. (Paul Pogba, Shkodran Mustafi, Eric Dier to name a few)

The problem is that once they break through to the 1st team, their development halts because of non-English players and PL environment that focuses only on Physicality and pace rather than tactics and technique.

Jack cw

The real issue is that currently the best players in the EPL are all foreign players.

I guess that is a problem England has for a long time now. They have great talents. Why not going in the risk to use them in the club? Of course there are years where you might have not much luck with youngsters but investing in youth and academy is promising. The player has high identification with the club, legend potential, stronger national team etc. Of course it takes time but Spain, France, Germany produce world class players on a consistent level and they play at their clubs because they take risks.

I guess that is a problem England has for a long time now. They have great talents. Why not going in the risk to use them in the club? Of course there are years where you might have not much luck with youngsters but investing in youth and academy is promising. The player has high identification with the club, legend potential, stronger national team etc. Of course it takes time but Spain, France, Germany produce world class players on a consistent level and they play at their clubs because they take risks.

Because once an English player is decent they pull a Sterling.

g0tm1lk

I disagree about the Youth Accedes. The likes of Southampton, Sunderland, Everton have some of the top academies in the world, with so many talented players coming through the ranks. (Paul Pogba, Shkodran Mustafi, Eric Dier to name a few)

The problem is that once they break through to the 1st team, their development halts because of non-English players and PL environment that focuses only on Physicality and pace rather than tactics and technique.

This is pretty accurate, in today's football you need tactic and technique mostly. If you don't know what to do with the ball it doesn't even matter if you have the best player(s) on the planet, you will not win against a tactically applied team, even if they are not skilled. You just need tactic, technique and physicality in that order.

A thought came to me when I was watching England struggle to mount a real siege on Iceland in the second half - who's the leader on the pitch for the team? You know, the guy who has the respect of the players, stands up, shouts the orders, takes responsibility and gets the team going. Rooney? Eh.

kottila

These numbers are from 2013, but it explains why england struggles with developing local players and coaches
The incredible depth of Germany's coaching resources, as well as the DFB's close relationship with Bundesliga clubs, helps to make the programme. According to Uefa, Germany has 28,400 (England 1,759) coaches with the B licence, 5,500 (895) with the A licence and 1,070 (115) with the Pro licence, the highest qualification.

T-Rex.

Banned
You know shit's fucked up with England when Carrick is dominating the Prem 08-12 and he gets hardly any caps as a result. The focus is always on who's the best individual player, not which player is going to make the team a better team and the NT suffers as a result.

faridmon

You know shit's fucked up with England when Carrick is dominating the Prem 08-12 and he gets hardly any caps as a result. The focus is always on who's the best individual player, not which player is going to make the team a better team and the NT suffers as a result.

Carrick would not improve the team anymore or less than the players England have now. and that is the problem, If Carrick is seen as an alternative to whoever is playing in midfield, then England being shite should not be a surprised.

England does not have a good playmaker. That is the problem.

Jack cw

A thought came to me when I was watching England struggle to mount a real siege on Iceland in the second half - who's the leader on the pitch for the team? You know, the guy who has the respect of the players, stands up, shouts the orders, takes responsibility and gets the team going. Rooney? Eh.

You don't really need a guy that motivates the others. This old opinion of a leader is pretty outdated. The clubs that won all the trophies the last years had more than 3 players that cared about that in all that teams. Look at Buffon, Pirlo, Cannavaro for Italy, Puyol, Iker, Xavi for Spain or Boateng, Schweinsteiger, Lahm for Germany. The one strong guy didn't work well for Holland, Argentina or Portugal. The times when a guy like Maradona, Pele or Zidane could lift their team with a single action are gone, because nowadays every decent team and player knows what to do in many situations.

T-Rex.

Banned
Carrick would not improve the team anymore or less than the players England have now. and that is the problem, If Carrick is seen as an alternative to whoever is playing in midfield, then England being shite should not be a surprised.

England does not have a good playmaker. That is the problem.
I'm not saying he'd improve the team now, but he should have been a starter back then. He wasn't because he wasn't seen as good enough for bizarre reasons and that's the issue with the NT. The best fit for the team doesn't always, or in the case of England very rarely, gets picked. We always just try to shoehorn the most talented players into the team without considering anything else. Just look at the formation and the players picked in the Iceland game as an example of that.

PatjuhR

I see the same problem with England as I saw with our Dutch national team, Which is ironic, since we both got fucked by Iceland.

Iceland doesn't have the best quality players, but because they are such a tight group they can make it anybody difficult. The Dutch and English squad are/were totally the opposite. They just a bunch of the supposedly best players dumped together.

faridmon

I'm not saying he'd improve the team now, but he should have been a starter back then. He wasn't because he wasn't seen as good enough for bizarre reasons and that's the issue with the NT. The best fit for the team doesn't always, or in the case of England very rarely, gets picked. We always just try to shoehorn the most talented players into the team without considering anything else.

I don't know. Back then you had Lampard and Gerard who were seen as the starting figure of the team, and Carrick would not have started ahead of them, but I agree that he was better than many who have been chosen for the squad.

I agree, the team always go for the player of the month rather than creating a cohesive team that play with each other efficiently. But again, I have the opinion that most of these players don't care.

Uh, Paul Pogba didn't move the UK until he was 16 or 17, and he went to Manchester United.

The individual clubs you mentioned have pretty good youth systems, especially Southampton, but the general quality of youth coaching in England is poor. It's why the FA made a huge effort in 2010 to improve things, making plans to adopt a lot of the standards of other countries for the first time.

Tubie

This is the main problem I see with the Premier League. It's a very physical league and players prepare and train for that. Now in recent years, when they go to both European competitions, they get outclassed and outplayed easily by not just Spanish teams, but teams in much smaller leagues too.

This problem probably permeates to the national team in some way.

More English players should play outside of UK.

This would help the national team too, but that will never happen with how much money English clubs are willing to pay for even average English talent.

Kill3r7

I see the same problem with England as I saw with our Dutch national team, Which is ironic, since we both got fucked by Iceland.

Iceland doesn't have the best quality players, but because they are such a tight group they can make it anybody difficult. The Dutch and English squad are/were totally the opposite. They just a bunch of the supposedly best players dumped together.

Agreed. Netherlands next crop of young talented players simply aren't ready yet. The current players who should be carrying the mantle are merely mediocre. They are completely reliant on Robben, Sneijder and Huntelaar/RVP to deliver. FWIW, the September game against Iceland went to shit the moment Robben got hurt. 2 minutes later Indi got a Red and that is all she wrote.

faridmon

Uh, Paul Pogba didn't move the UK until he was 16 or 17, and he went to Manchester United.

The individual clubs you mentioned have pretty good youth systems, especially Southampton, but the general quality of youth coaching in England is poor. It's why the FA made a huge effort in 2010 to improve things, making plans to adopt a lot of the standards of other countries for the first time.

Pogba was thrown into the academy where he developed further. He won multiple titles with the youth team while he was there.

The coaching system was poor, but its getting better. Everton's U-18 just won Dallas Cup where international youth team have participated.

Jack cw

Pogba was thrown into the academy where he developed further. He won multiple titles with the youth team while he was there.

The coaching system was poor, but its getting better. Everton's U-18 just won Dallas Cup where international youth team have participated.

Pogba unfortunately plays for France though. How many English players has Evertons youth club? If you buy those kids from other countries it's nice for your club but has no advantage for the national team. That is the point of many here.

knavish

Most english coaches do not understand fitness training. English players do not play outside England, sans retirement home America.

English football is fundamentally broken.

While for English players this might be the case we also have the best managers at club level from all over Europe. No league in the world can say they have:

Mourinho
Guardiola
Klopp
Conte
Pochatino

etc etc

The Premier League also just signed a £5.5Bn TV deal. PL footballs in a great state, English players aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom