• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: How PS4 Neo & PS4 will co-exist

Bronx-Man

Banned
I sold my first one and upgraded to the all matte version. I was not out much at all. But I sure as shit am not going to go buy another, more powerful PS4 that I never asked for. Yay for those who want to, though. That's cool.
When-Donald-Trump-said-People-like-what-I-say-People-respect-what-I-say.gif

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Lol, you'll sell up and replace your console to switch from a gloss shell to a matt one, but you wouldn't do the same to upgrade all the internal components?

People confuse me.

I wonder if ppl actually re-read what they post they would realize how funny they sound.

And what was the upgrade for doing that? A different shell? A quieter system?

Its ok to get a revision that offers lil to no upgrades....but fuck Sony for offering a specs bump...

I will spend my money for barely anything extra added but I will NOT spend it for them offering me something more!!!

As a consumer it was fine all last gen to get any of the multiple Sony, MS revisions.....but now that a revision is coming that is adding more than an extra USB port, quieter system, or smaller its the apocalypse of the gaming industry...

Yes I asked on here yesterday and had a very long discussion with someone in the know last night. Trying to put everything together before posting but there will be differences and the base model performance will not be shit.
Just waiting for your write up.........

Interested on what u have to say or know.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the most impressive thing about PS4k/neo is that you never, ever hear about microsoft releasing an upgraded xbone even though they are the only party to acknowledge the possibility of an upgrade and sony haven't even mentioned it. the lack of mindshare is incredible, they've lost a PR war against a company who hasn't said anything releasing a product that doesn't officially exist. does anyone truly believe that an xbox 1.5 could reverse their fortunes?

Audioboxer

Yes I asked on here yesterday and had a very long discussion with someone in the know last night. Trying to put everything together before posting but there will be differences and the base model performance will not be shit.

would be a horrible marketing move just like the Wii U. I cannot tell you how many times that name was an issue in one of our stores. Worst Nintendo decision ever well one of them.

I think they said every game after October will have neo mode.

That is a pretty sad and selfish way to look at things.

Just to be clear that is not how I see things, I was answering some other GAFer with why I feel certain others are acting the way they are. Don't want you hating on me OB lol.

Also interested to hear whatever you have to say when you have time to share.

geordiemp

the most impressive thing about PS4k/neo is that you never, ever hear about microsoft releasing an upgraded xbone even though they are the only party to acknowledge the possibility of an upgrade and sony haven't even mentioned it. the lack of mindshare is incredible, they've lost a PR war against a company who hasn't said anything releasing a product that doesn't officially exist. does anyone truly believe that an xbox 1.5 could reverse their fortunes?

Could MS surpass the Neo easily ?

I recall reading DF about the crazy 3 operating systems and virtual OS that games have to go through on XB1. If thats the case, then MS can wait until 2017 and throw in a ZEN.

There was also that AMD statement I read on GAF somewhere about ZEN in a 2017 console.

Would not surprise me. I guess does anyone on GAF know if a ZEN XB1.5 through the multi OS would be feasible ?

Bronx-Man

Banned
This is a damn good point. If Microsoft really is coming out with a new Xbox One model, they've gotta leak something fast or else all the conversation about future hardware gets dominated by the NEO & maybe even the NX.

M3d10n

The 1080p requirement is the output frame buffer. Games are free to render internally at whatever resolution they want.

LordofPwn

If a dev is trying to optimize for PS4, won't they get it running on a PS4K before PS4 while on that journey?

I just don't see how this new console will make things difficult, unless they've already optimized for PS4 and want to have a "Neo" mode.

This is a damn good point. If Microsoft really is coming out with a new Xbox One model, they've gotta leak something fast or else all the conversation about future hardware gets dominated by the NEO & maybe even the NX.

One thing that Spencer said IF there was a Xbox console upgrade, he wanted it more than 0.5 upgrade, whatever he said would backlash if Xbox 1.6 weaker or same as Neo.

Hexa

Yup. This is part of why I think this is a planned leak. Not in the sense that they specifically are controlling it getting leaked, but they're giving info out freely enough that they damn well know its going to get leaked. Why else are you telling retailers about the specs and such which aren't even finalized yet? And also the stuff on the dev portal is waaaaaaay too detailed.

It's kind of like what they did with the PS4 launch. Say that they aren't going to go first, but go first anyway, but don't actually reveal as much as you should or anything you aren't completely sure about. Completely dominate mind share, and then let competitors go and actually reveal everything. Learn from what they did and adapt and then lay out your complete message.

The God

I don't think reversing their fortunes matters. They've got nothing to lose by competing with the Neo.

Planned leak makes sense.

PlayStation has been dominating gaming news for the entire generation.

Definitely a controlled leak IMO too.

labx

Banned
I got this weird feeling that this NEO PS4 is going to launch at E3. Sony will drop the bomb in stage "you can order it now." So PSVR and NEO would be launching at the same time in October.

so goodbye to Persona 5, Last Guardian, Nier, Horizon, etc. to a 2016 release. I hope Sony don't screw this up... more. If they are going to be 2 versions of the same game, to separated box and all, ps4 and ps4 neo, we are doomed.

Again. Can't wait for the neo remakes.

The Order
Uncharted
Bloodborne
Last Of Us (again)
No Man Sky

Naudi

Banned
I sold my first one and upgraded to the all matte version. I was not out much at all. But I sure as shit am not going to go buy another, more powerful PS4 that I never asked for. Yay for those who want to, though. That's cool.

So you're OK with spending more for another PS4 so it's matte finish, but not if it's more powerful? I must be missing something here.

So you're OK with spending more for another PS4 so it's matte finish, but not if it's more powerful? I must be missing something here.

He's fucking crazy ;)

It's also funny because the matte version probably made him lose PS2 backwards compatibility too lol ^^

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

giphy.gif

ironcreed

Banned
Lol, you'll sell up and replace your console to switch from a gloss shell to a matt one, but you wouldn't do the same to upgrade all the internal components?

People confuse me.

Yes, I usually always do this at least once. But I am not about to do it again just because they are releasing what they probably should have released to begin with. Stay confused, I guess.

Naudi

Banned
Yes, I usually always do this at least once. But I am not about to do it again just because they are releasing what they probably should have released to begin with. Stay confused, I guess.

Well twice is at least once so you are right on track. Or something like that...Your posts are making it hard for me to gather a thought.

Radec

The mandate is that games in Neo mode must hit 1080p, but this seemingly doesn't appear to apply to the base PS4. Yes, most games on the base model already are 1080p, but surely there's the danger that by targeting 1080p as standard on the Neo with any extra effects etc, the resolution on the base might slip to 900p.

Surely the mandate should say that 1080p is the minimum across both models, not just the Neo.

If Neo owners get 1080p, but the base owners have to settle for 900p, then surely we're getting an inferior product?

Inferior product for an interior hardware.

ironcreed

Banned
Well twice is at least once so you are right on track. Or something like that...Your posts are making it hard for me to gather a thought.

What I did is not exactly unheard of. I simply have no desire to sell my brand new one in order to get yet another one just because it is more powerful. Why? Because I am happy with the PS4, thought it was going to be the only system they were releasing this gen and sure as shit am not going to buy another one that is going to play the same games. If that is considered out of the ordinary, then I do apologize.

Kyrios

What I did is not exactly unheard of. I simply have no desire to sell my brand new one in order to get yet another one just because it is more powerful. Why? Because I am happy with the PS4, thought it was going to be the only system they were releasing this gen and sure as shit am not going to buy another one that is going to play the same games. If that is considered out of the ordinary, then I do apologize.

What I got out of your original post was that you already bought a newer PS4, so you have no plans on buying another one, regardless if it was more powerful or not.

Steve Harvey gifs were hilarious though

Massa

I'll be dead if it's called the PS4 slim. That way, it really is under the radar.

I'm guessing they'll slim up both versions: a regular PS4 with 18 CU's (in 14nm) and the Neo. They could even be really aggressive in terms of pricing with the regular model, say $200 for a regular PS4 and $400 for the Neo. The cheaper one can be sold at a slight loss if the profit margin on the Neo makes up for it.

ironcreed

Banned
What I got out of your original post was that you already bought a newer PS4, so you have no plans on buying another one, regardless if it was more powerful or not.

Steve Harvey gifs were hilarious though

I mean, people do what I did all the time for a slim version, different color or whatever. I imagine many will view PS4K the same way and that is fine. But I literally just got this new PS4 last month and now this is looking to be confirmed. I am not selling this one and doing it again at the end of the year or whenever it releases. Then I would feel like an idiot. Besides, I am fine with the OG.

You wanted to pay $700 for a PS4? Because... you think this would have gone well for the platform, is what I gather...

Can you tune me into the part where this saves you money, or does any good for anyone?

Kyrios

I mean, people do what I did all the time for a slim version, different color or whatever. I imagine many will view PS4K the same way and that is fine. But I literally just got this new PS4 last month and now this is looking to be confirmed. I am not selling this one and doing it again at the end of the year or whenever it releases. Then I would feel like an idiot. Besides, I am fine with the OG.

Yeah I understand that. I would feel the same way if I got a collector's edition PS4 after my original PS4 purchase.

Naudi

Banned

What's confusing is you said you already bought a new one cause you wanted matte finish. Then you said you do that at least once every generation, insinuating that you have rebought the same console more then once in the past already. Then you said you won't do it a second time because it's more powerful and you never asked for that? Seriously what did I miss? A year or 2 from now you wouldn't be interested in maybe getting a newer version that is also more powerful?

Renekton

I think it's just MS being better at not leaking things this time.

ironcreed

Banned
What's confusing is you said you already bought a new one cause you wanted matte finish. Then you said you do that at least once every generation, insinuating that you have rebought the same console more then once in the past already. Then you said you won't do it a second time because it's more powerful and you never asked for that? Seriously what did I miss? A year or 2 from now you wouldn't be interested in maybe getting a newer version that is also more powerful?

I sold my old one and got the one in all matte and was only out around $100. People do this all the time in order to get a slim, different color or whatever. And no, I am fine with the PS4 and never asked for them to come out with a more powerful version of the system. The only way I would consider it is if my current system craps out beyond the warranty, then I probably would bite because I would have no other choice.

This is not going to be as disruptive as I thought it was going to be. It just adds another option much like they usually do with adding aslim version of consoles. I don't see this diminishing Sony's momentum with the PS4.

Sure, it's novel to have a hardware upgrade half way through a generation, but the limitations being put in place for developers and publishers alike, pretty much ensures this will become nothing more than another SKU in the market.

Shaneus

Yes, it's still a PS4 and can play all your games just like the vanilla PS4 plays them. It would be interesting to know if PS4K plays those games a little better unpatched...(most likely not).
I'd wager that Bloodborne will perform at least a little better having the extra GPU pipes and CPU speed without any optimisation. At least, I'd hope.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I got this weird feeling that this NEO PS4 is going to launch at E3. Sony will drop the bomb in stage "you can order it now." So PSVR and NEO would be launching at the same time in October.

so goodbye to Persona 5, Last Guardian, Nier, Horizon, etc. to a 2016 release. I hope Sony don't screw this up... more. If they are going to be 2 versions of the same game, to separated box and all, ps4 and ps4 neo, we are doomed.

Thats not going to happen.

Remember this gen is known for game patches, updates already. Some bigger than others. Its going to be one game, with a Neo patch/update if you have that console. According to the leaked info. Someone had a theory that at the most what might happen is boxes will say 'Neo features' or something like that. But not 2 separate games. I like that idea. Maybe older games will get updated boxes.

Or it might be on the disc and only Neo extras get unlocked on the Neo. No Neo, nothing gets unlocked.

lupinko

Tech guys, people who actually haven't bought a PS4, and diehard Sony guys are still the only ones jumping up and down and cheering for PS4 Neo.

Eh not really, a price drop for vanilla or a 2017 release would spell the end of ps4k for me. Also if 4K can't use PS4's bay covers.

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
If Destiny 2 is 60fps on Neo and not Ps4, I will gladly buy one at a high price

I doubt they will do that, at least in PVP since that would be extremely unfair. They might make PS4 30FPS and PS4K 60FPS in PVE though.

I excpect PVP to be 900p/60 on PS4 and 1080p/60 on PS4K

1080p 60 fps always on Neo? Finally, this is saving the ps4, hopefully they patch BloodBorne to Neo because it's unplayable in its current state.

Top Bottom