• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: How PS4 Neo & PS4 will co-exist

You may throw the PS4 version under the bus.

Seems pretty straightforward. I'm guessing Sony is leaking this deliberately, it's all a bit don't worry, nothing exclusive but look how shiny it could be if you upgrade, nudge nudge.

It's more like no reason whatsoever to upgrade until I got some games in my hands that have Neo listed on the back of the box.

Yeah, but those people are probably still in a Retro VGS facebook group.

U0RoVrm.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yeah but i wont have the same game with a differrnt resolution running on a Tv sitting beside the one im playing on. I wont be able to notice the difference or care. I can tell change in frames though and i would like to see Sony prioritize performance over anythibg.

By default, PS4K games will run much better than PS4 performance wise. Its still the same CPU so you can't expect too much beyond much stabler framerates beyond PS4, but for GPU limited games the differences will be stark.

I wonder why they are going with 36 CU's though? the bandwidth, ram and CPU they have there is far less than what would be neccesary to take full advantage of the overkill GPU. Hell in many ways the PS4's GPU is the same way.

They could still just cut out atleast 6 CU's, save some power and still get significant results

thelastword

Banned
Doesn't the Playstation VR Worlds use the same box as any other PS4 games? I doubt PSVR games will have different boxes since they are essentially PS4 games.
PS%20VR%20Launch%20Bundle.jpg
They will have to differentiate them, Imagine buying a PS4 game with such a case, plop it into your PS4 and it demands a $400.00 Vr headset, that would not go well.

Mediking

Tech guys, people who actually haven't bought a PS4, and diehard Sony guys are still the only ones jumping up and down and cheering for PS4 Neo.

OsirisBlack

Banned
With the info we have about PS4K, the graphics difference between PS4 and PS4K will be more notable than the ones between Xbone and PS4?
Yes I asked on here yesterday and had a very long discussion with someone in the know last night. Trying to put everything together before posting but there will be differences and the base model performance will not be shit.

I'll be dead if it's called the PS4 slim. That way, it really is under the radar.
would be a horrible marketing move just like the Wii U. I cannot tell you how many times that name was an issue in one of our stores. Worst Nintendo decision ever well one of them.

Will all the new games have a neo mode?

I think they said every game after October will have neo mode.

It's nice to want things when you know no one else can have anything different than you and you're all left longing. When the option is actually there for you to have better performance, it's not so nice to think someone else might get that better performance while you may not.

That is a pretty sad and selfish way to look at things.

wazoo

Did someone replied to this ?

In Base mode, are slowdowns of regular ps4 games still present ?

I think the base mode will be exact ps4 behaviour, but who knows ..

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yes I asked on here yesterday and had a very long discussion with someone in the know last night. Trying to put everything together before posting but there will be differences and the base model performance will not be shit.

would be a horrible marketing move just like the Wii U. I cannot tell you how many times that name was an issue in one of our stores. Worst Nintendo decision ever well one of them.

Have you heard anything concrete about UHD blu-ray support and HDR?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Most likely. It probably underclocks everything to PS4 speeds to ensure compatibility, which would result in identical performance.

benzy

Do you know if games released in late September are required to have a Neo patch, as mentioned in one of the rumors?

Sami+

Yeah, I'd take 900p/60 over 1080p/30(locked) any day. that's what I do on PC if I can't hit it on 1080p. Totally worth it.

Don't like a 1080p mandate when there are some games where a frame rate bump might be sacrificed for a step up in resolution.

The issue there is that resolution has nothing to do with the CPU. Where double the GPU power will always be enough for a resolution bump, it might not have much of an effect at all on the framerate depending on how CPU dependent the game is.

onQ123

Neo isn't going to be playing games using base mode if there is a Neo mode so I don't understand this question.

Mithos

Neo isn't going to be playing games using base mode if there is a Neo mode so I don't understand this question.

Will a PS4 game that is not Neo patched run better on a PS4 Neo then on a PS4, that is what I think the question is.
Because that would be an awesome thing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Will a PS4 game that is not Neo patched run better on a PS4 Neo then on a PS4, that is what I think the question is.

Games that are locked framerate that dip a little, may see less dips/pop-in due to faster hardware clocks. So probably hit the caps better. Unlocked framerates are my concern when it comes to screen tare beyond 60fps (thank goodness for 120hz displays and above).

Hexa

Just call it PS4K. Its perfect. Not too gaudy, but sends a clear message.
The main market for the Neo is going to be people with 4K TVs so it's a direct appeal to them. And it'll make everyone with a regular PS4 that doesn't have a 4K TV not feel so bad as compared to something that sounds better because they'll be like, "Oh. I don't really need that yet. I'll buy one when I get a 4K TV". Plus if UHD really takes off it'll be at the forefront.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The main market for the Neo is going to be people with 4K TVs so it's a direct appeal to them. And it'll make everyone with a regular PS4 that doesn't have a 4K TV not feel so bad as compared to something that sounds better because they'll be like, "Oh. I don't really need that yet. I'll buy one when I get a 4K TV". Plus if UHD really takes off it'll be at the forefront.

Agreed.

ironcreed

Banned
Tech guys, people who actually haven't bought a PS4, and diehard Sony guys are still the only ones jumping up and down and cheering for PS4 Neo.

Yep. I am just like, that's neat. But I already have a PS4 (I have bought two, the last one just last month). The idea that I would buy yet another, more powerful PS4 that runs the same games I am already getting is laughable to me. But cool for those who want to go ahead and drop $400 on yet another PS4 after buying the one we all thought was going to be the standard.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yep. I am just like, that's neat. But I already have a PS4 (I have bought two, the last one just last month). The idea that I would buy yet another, more powerful PS4 that runs the same games I am already getting is laughable to me. But cool for those who want to go ahead and drop $400 on yet another PS4 after buying the one we all thought was going to be the standard.

Why did you buy two to begin with? That's more of a waste than buying a more powerful unit IMO.

I'll buy PS4K eventually, depending on the trade in programs

ironcreed

Banned
Why did you buy two to begin with? That's more of a waste than buying a more powerful unit IMO.

I'll buy PS4K eventually, depending on the trade in programs

I sold my first one and upgraded to the all matte version. I was not out much at all. But I sure as shit am not going to go buy another, more powerful PS4 that I never asked for. Yay for those who want to, though. That's cool.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wonder what they will call it?

PS4 Pro
PS4S
PS4 Plus
PS4 4K

..or..

PS
Playstation
The new Playstation

Maybe remove the number going forwards.

Abdiel

I'd like to point out that there is the vast, vast majority is mostly just ambivalent, because it doesn't impact them. I made my thread to address retail speculation, and the trends associated with larger buying habits, but honestly, there's two very vocal groups shouting at each other, and then, you know, the mass group that isn't impacted and won't be impacted, they're ignoring all this. Which is how it will stay until someone gives them a reason to care.

A higher power model at a higher price that doesn't remove the core system in any way isn't going to entice the majority customer base.

bitbydeath

But that may also allude to people thinking they need a 4K TV to use it which will shrink potential sales.

Hexa

But that may also allude to people thinking they need a 4K TV to use it which will shrink potential sales.

I think that that would be worth it for the overall messaging of both the Neo and pushing 4K. Due to the circumstances and backlash issue, going all in promoting this as a tremendous improvement and the next big Playstation console probably isn't the best idea. Based on what we know UHD media and upscaled UHD games are going to be a core part of what defines Neo, so they should focus on that instead. It may not be big for everyone, but I think that that's going to be a bigger appeal to the mainstream than a considerable but not generation level graphics boost. I think it would be better to focus on that aspect and really push it over trying to make it appealing to everyone. Furthermore, I think that having people think they need a 4K TV to fully utilize the Neo may actually help their messaging in dealing with prior PS4 customers, because they aren't going to fault Sony as much for it considering that it won't seem as much like a half console transition as updating the PS4 with a technology that's just beginning to take off. Though I suppose all of this relies on the assumption that they're going to be using this to push UHD and are heavily invested in and expect it to do well.

Pokemaniac

The more I read about this thing, the more Sony's approach to it just seems weird. The lack of exclusives is really gonna hurt this thing in the long run if Sony doesn't relent (or produce some truly awful base PS4 games).

Minimum resolutions also really aren't a good look without having something like the health concerns of VR to back it up. Without that, it is just an arbitrary limit.

Curufinwe

I sold my first one and upgraded to the all matte version. I was not out much at all. But I sure as shit am not going to go buy another, more powerful PS4 that I never asked for. Yay for those who want to, though. That's cool.

So you upgraded for a different finish, but won't upgrade for better performing games.

bitbydeath

Do you know if games released in late September are required to have a Neo patch, as mentioned in one of the rumors?

From what I understand it was from Official Sony doco from Sony Dev Net website, also believe it was an October cut off.

DieH@rd

Banned
Will all the new games have a neo mode?

New games will have to have a Neo mode, but devs are not required to spend resources on creating/optimizing better rendering modes. They can leave their game in same rez/framerate/visual settings as PS4 if that is what they want.

Old PS4 games will all be nativley playable on Neo, but if dev want to they can patch-in Neo rendering modes.

The moment you realize that 2 Tflops of compute rendering could be added to the best looking PS4 games

2504485-2895608507-the_o.gif

Wiped89

Lol, you'll sell up and replace your console to switch from a gloss shell to a matt one, but you wouldn't do the same to upgrade all the internal components?

People confuse me.

Top Bottom