• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer]Phil Spencer on new hardware, price drops, mid-gen refreshes - and why the company won't ditch Series S.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
“We do very little”
No shit Sherlock
He ain't lying. Money does the most part for them.

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

mansoor1980

Gold Member
I think you have answered my question! I think Project Q is part of the PlayStation ecosystem and for Xbox, there isn't a specific Xbox handheld thing - you just have the ability to play Xbox games, and PC games on those other devices, like you mentioned.

Spencer:
Yeah. And I'll pick the ROG Ally because it's one I'm playing on right now a lot. Every time I sit down I and I'm playing with it - I'm playing a lot of Brotato right now - but it's like, why doesn't this feel... why isn't this an Xbox? What is it about it, for the player experience? Forget about what colour the plastic is or whose name is on the back of it. What is it about that experience that is different when I'm on the go from what I have with my console? I think the differences are smaller and smaller for us. Because Game Pass is there so my library of games are there. The controls are basically the same ABXY, twin stick, triggers. My saved games are there. So yeah, I don't need people to buy a piece of hardware from us specifically to go play. It's an amazing Xbox experience, even though we didn't build the device. And I think that's totally fine.

You mentioned Series S, is there a future where you do have to leave it behind for some titles? Baldur's Gate 3 is a big one this year and obviously we're still waiting for the Xbox version of that, and where split-screen appears to be the issue. And it was mentioned recently that Forza Motorsport won't ship with splitscreen...

Spencer:
Those two things aren't really related. Forza Motorsport was never going to have splitscreen. That's just a decision the team made based on usage. We see how many people play in splitscreen and just decided to put our dev effort where people are actually playing.

On S, specifically, we designed the box with similarities to X, and clear places where we're targeting a different performance. And we're taking feedback from devs including Larian, I met with them today to talk about it and I'm confident we're going to find a good solution and we're going to learn.
I don't see a world where we drop S. In terms of parity, "I don't think you've heard from us or Larian, that this was about parity. I think that's more that the community is talking about it." There are features that ship on X today that do not ship on S, even from our own games, like ray-tracing that works on X, it's not on S in certain games. So for an S customer, they spent roughly half what the X customer bought, they understand that it's not going to run the same way.

I want to make sure games are available on both, that's our job as a platform holder and we're committed to that with our partners. And I think we're gonna get there with Larian. So I'm not overly worried about that, but we've learned some stuff through it. Having an entry level price point for console, sub-$300, is a good thing for the industry. I think it's important, the Switch has been able to do that, in terms of kind of the traditional plug-into-my-television consoles. I think it's important. So we're committed.

LeafyUglyIbadanmalimbe-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
I’ve got no skin in this game but I’d be surprised if the Series S could even run games without serious cuts in the next couple of years. If Phil can’t see a world where they don’t drop the Series S then there’s potential that third party developers will just drop Xbox altogether, that’s not a world Phil will want to be in.

Bigger publishers will probably want to continue supporting Xbox as that’s the developers problem, I can see indies and smaller publishers dropping it though if it’s just too much work.

M1987

😂

"We do very little that's going to force you to buy our console in order to play the games that we built."

Mr Moose

Even better news, Starfield is just the start of the onslaught. Looks like all the software is falling into place. The future line up just looks incredible.

There's already a thread for that.

Sanepar

I don't believe in any word from this guys but a few takes:
"We do very little that's going to force you to buy our console in order to play the games that we built." yeah true, but only because the strategy is to enforce people on cloud and renting(gamepass) model, their strategy is to eliminate local hw

About series S not being dropped, it will be by the market and developers so at one point series S will be a cloud access point.

devs also despised the cell.
but good devs came close with multiplatform games to what sony did as their exclusives.
they just need to want to.
What? The Cell was tough as hell to develop for...but it wasn't weak. That's why we got stuff like The Last of Us, Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2 during that gen
Devs can't perform miracles with a Series S.

Totally different situations.

danklord

Gold Member
I'm convinced this man is not a gamer. “Im playing a lot of brotato” uh, what?

He's down on a mid Gen refresh because Sony is going to beat them to the punch.

They want to replicate the mobile market so bad, that I'm almost convinced the ABK acquisition is more about candy crush.

The Series S is anti-consumer and doesn't contribute to the health of the industry. Gamepass is bad for gaming.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Some interesting points, no mid-refresh, and not admitting the Series S is causing problems for a lot of developers, especially small ones.

One thing he said that is true is about console prices staying flat, that’s why is hilarious to see many Switch users expecting Nintendo to make price drops. That’s why Sony would/have to do a redesign to get a better price.
They will not admit anything about the S because that decision was made and followed through a long time ago, and there’s no turning back so why publicly admit anything? Their all in approach to game pass was the catalyst for this choice, they wanted a more affordable box to run this gen’s games while getting more gamepass revenue.

I think it’s smart of them to not do a mid gen refresh. Just focus on 1st party games here out and next gen just one powerful box.

BbMajor7th

Even better news, Starfield is just the start of the onslaught. Looks like all the software is falling into place. The future line up just looks incredible.

As memory serves, the onslaught has been due to start any minute now since about 2015.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Good interview.

They already got 4+ fp games this year, 2 more coming and Avowed in Q1.

I think it’s smart of them to not do a mid gen refresh. Just focus on 1st party games here out and next gen just one powerful box.

It's not a choice, it's a necessity. Adding a 3rd console wouldn't change the fact that Series S will remain the baseline, a weak baseline...

They are not selling the two consoles they are making NOW, how could adding a third one help their sales?

b0uncyfr0

What would new HW do for the series consoles anyway? 🤔

It should just be just a TF increase right? Most likely its AMD hardware so RT will still be nerfed.

Maybe switching to 2280 format instead of 2230. I cant think of anything major in the last 3 years.

jumpship

Spencer: Those two things aren't really related. Forza Motorsport was never going to have splitscreen. That's just a decision the team made based on usage. We see how many people play in splitscreen and just decided to put our dev effort where people are actually playing.

LeafyUglyIbadanmalimbe-max-1mb.gif

Hey Phil you might want to speak with your staff at Turn10 they tried but found it difficult implementing split screen so dropped it for launch.

Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

There will be a Series X/S 2 in 2025 mark my words not a pro but just a new console. Fully backwards compatible so the boundary between generations becomes blurred.
Gives the developers the option to skip the series consoles (S in particular) if they wish, lets Sony have the power narrative for 1 year with the Pro, but they will try to take the wind out of the Pros sails by announcing the new Xbox shortly after.
Also allows Xbox to break free from having to release a new console when Sony does like what happened with the One/PS4 and Series/PS5. Probably work itself into a cycle of new PS then year later new Xbox.
Would not surprise me if Microsoft think that would also help them sell more consoles since tech enthusiasts may be more likely to buy both XBox and Playstation when there is a year or so difference in release window.

"As soon as you start doing mid-gen refreshes, you've got a bunch of issues in front of developers"

Didnt thay claim the XsX was there mid gen refresh and the XSS was the entry level system?

So they knowingly caused dev issues from the jump and are now giving the the middle finger and saying you must support it if you want to release in their ecosystem.

The devs that have been pushing back on this all make sense now.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Oh Phil..

Those hoping the next gen Xbox was coming in 2026....better set those expectations to 2028.

cireza

a mid-gen refresh with more power and features is?
You do realize that it will lead to the exact same situation ? Two consoles that share a lot, but one being weaker than the other. Series S was there from day-one, which gives time to adjust to it. Pro console will arrive mid-gen, and like last gen, developers will only push for some easy wins and not make a huge difference.

Honestly, if anything, last gen was a good demonstration that a mid-gen refresh wasn't worth the money. And I enjoyed my One X, but for the most part it was a console that enhanced BC and gave 60fps in a few games. It wasn't all that incredible. And it was better than PS4 Pro... that tells a lot.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
But yeah...a mid gen refresh will give more problems to developers.....

that are making a multi platform game for Series consoles. MS caused this issue themselves... I guess first party will be fine?

Oh boy.

"As soon as you start doing mid-gen refreshes, you've got a bunch of issues in front of developers"

Didnt thay claim the XsX was there mid gen refresh and the XSS was the entry level system?

So they knowingly caused dev issues from the jump and are now giving the the middle finger and saying you must support it if you want to release in their ecosystem.

The devs that have been pushing back on this all make sense now.
Exactly.

Last edited:
No doubt the long term plan will be to change their policy to "Download to Series X or Stream to Series S" for certain games. They'll pull that trigger by 2025. Bookmark this.

No matter what they do Xbox as a brand is dead. It's basically no longer associated with consoles. It' just a game service at this point...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I just thought of the solution as I was taking a dump at work on the clock.

Microsoft should consider identifying themselves as him, it, or they in order to really pull in that woke crowd because once you have those people on your side they're going to push you to the moon. He might also want to consider going transgender.

damidu

they pretty much fucked themselves into a corner with series s, regarding midgen refresh.
they were probably hoping sony wouldn’t do a pro.

now all he can do is pr spins and damage controls

enjoy getting hamstrung by the potato all the way to 2030

and this shithead talking about "problems for devs" while mandating a 1/3 powered console for the whole gen, gets to my nerves.
unfortunately he'll only do pr interviews, where no one will push back.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

It's not a choice, it's a necessity. Adding a 3rd console wouldn't change the fact that Series S will remain the baseline, a weak baseline...

They are not selling the two consoles they are making NOW, how could adding a third one help their sales?
Well, better hardware will always run games better by default. How about a more powerful console to experience Starfield and all the games they have lined up moving forward? And big 3rd party games?

I wasn’t talking about them not doing a mid gen refresh for some ridiculous fanboy discussion about sales. People acting like they own stock in Sony corp. Besides, tbey don’t need a mid gen box for power purposes only, because they will always have the power advantage because all their games are on PC. Pre ordered Starfield on Steam, pretty sure my 4090 will run it better than a mid gen refresh would.

Mr Moose

Hey Phil you might want to speak with your staff at Turn10 they tried but found it difficult implementing split screen so dropped it for launch.

Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

They dropped it completely, not just for launch.
Spencer: Those two things aren't really related. Forza Motorsport was never going to have splitscreen. That's just a decision the team made based on usage. We see how many people play in splitscreen and just decided to put our dev effort where people are actually playing.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Mid gen refreshes ain't happening,don't know why people are so sure of them. Making games for both the main consoles and then making sure it runs on series s is already hard enough

It would be a bigger issue if there were more Xbox's out there but I have faith developers see the PC and PS market share large enough to not bow to MS's rules and optimize for what they have the ability to do. The EA's and Activision, and UBI's of the world will continue pumping out mediocre stuff and some developers will put an effort in. Spend your money wisely.

ecentre

I see Rikey is trying to do some damage control.
Good luck with that! Hope you get some payment for the effort?

Just how bad are ms engineers not to see Ss would be unpowered and problematic , they just needed 4 gigs of extra ram, few more cu to hit 6tf.

There is not much they can do about it now, they need ride our this gen, the best they can and learn from this mistake for next gen.

Duchess

As memory serves, the onslaught has been due to start any minute now since about 2015.
I think my memory may well be better than yours, because I recall Microsoft saying back in 2000, with the release of the original Xbox, that they "did not intend to be on top right away, but it won't take long" (paraphrasing).

Well, over 20 years later and they're still bringing up the rear.

Tsaki

Mid gen refreshes ain't happening,don't know why people are so sure of them. Making games for both the main consoles and then making sure it runs on series s is already hard enough
PS5 Pro is definitely happening. Fall 2024 per Henderson, whose Sony hardware leaks have been 100% correct.

With every interview and every move they keep saying how they don't really care about the console side of things. I wonder if they'll eventually go third party at this rate.
Or pc only. Maybe cut a deal with steam for 80-20 split.
I keep saying this but these interviews make me not want to buy games for the xbox. Will there be another after series. Who knows.

StereoVsn

I’ve got no skin in this game but I’d be surprised if the Series S could even run games without serious cuts in the next couple of years. If Phil can’t see a world where they don’t drop the Series S then there’s potential that third party developers will just drop Xbox altogether, that’s not a world Phil will want to be in.

Bigger publishers will probably want to continue supporting Xbox as that’s the developers problem, I can see indies and smaller publishers dropping it though if it’s just too much work.
They can't drop Series S without incurring a lot of lawsuits.

They could however drop the parity clause which would help a bit at least. This could also invite a lawsuite but the scope would be a lot less.

Edit: And hell, reportedly XSS is over 50% of the userbase, it would be insane to drop that.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Phil will say what he needs to say, but sometimes he just talk too much. Series S is causing problems for devs, those are just facts.

The problem is these "facts" are completely overagagerated, most games run quite easily on series S. Just because the odd game is harder doesn't mean every time is.

They can't drop Series S without incurring a lot of lawsuits.

They could however drop the parity clause which would help a bit at least. This could also invite a lawsuite but the scope would be a lot less.

Edit: And hell, reportedly XSS is over 50% of the userbase, it would be insane to drop that.
This I can agree with. Parity clause needs to go at the very least. Series S players will get a very similar game but may be missing some additional features such as split screen. I’d rather this than have to wait another 6 months to play a game.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I just can't believe they aren't doing mid gen refreshes.

Once the PS5 Pro comes out and you've got the PS5 digital for $399 or less, Microsoft will have a really hard time moving Xbox hardware.

And maybe they don't care? Maybe they really do just primarily care about software sales and Game Pass subs and are content with that.

Just such an odd direction for MS right now. I'm having trouble understanding it.

Hudo

Yeah, it's actually stupid.

Especially since we haven't seen anything really take advantage of the PS5/XSX power. It's just ridiculous.
Not only that but also the jump from PS5 Pro to PS6 is gonna be as small again as the jump from PS4 Pro to PS5. And then we're plagued with crossgen shit all over again.

Riky

$MSFT
I just can't believe they aren't doing mid gen refreshes.

Once the PS5 Pro comes out and you've got the PS5 digital for $399 or less, Microsoft will have a really hard time moving Xbox hardware.

And maybe they don't care? Maybe they really do just primarily care about software sales and Game Pass subs and are content with that.

Just such an odd direction for MS right now. I'm having trouble understanding it.

They probably believe that software sells hardware as the Switch has proven. The next gen refreshes didn't outsell the original machines. Now they have the first party line up sorted they will believe that will sell hardware.

Top Bottom