• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Eurogamer]Phil Spencer on new hardware, price drops, mid-gen refreshes - and why the company won't ditch Series S.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
But somehow he thinks the Series S is not a problem for developers, but a mid-gen refresh with more power and features is?
A weak console will always force devs to do more work to manage the game to fit in constrained specs.
But a more powerful console, even if the dev is lazy, will always run the game as in the Series X. It can even benefit from basic stuff, like higher resolution.

Phil has no idea what he's doing.

onQ123

I still cant believe MS put themselves in a situation where they cant release a mid gen console. They absolutely blew the ps4 pro away last gen with the one x which was easily the best piece of hardware in the console market at the time and became the defacto premium console backed by df etc....this gen a digital console that dwarfs the series s is going for only a 100$ more and then on the high end the pro will lord over the series x not an enviable situation to be in especially once developers start really laying into the series s as the gen go's on.

I still remember the days when at the start of the gen some were saying series s with true rdna2 plus machine learning, microsoft patented reconstruction, dx12 magic etc etc will push the ps5 lol, and ofcourse the series x was the beast that would crush the 9tflop ps5 and now essentially they have neither segment really.
One X was a year later & $100 more & failed to pick up sells of Xbox consoles & games that's one of the reasons we will not see another one.

mckmas8808

With every interview and every move they keep saying how they don't really care about the console side of things. I wonder if they'll eventually go third party at this rate.

They are priming the video game media and all gamers who listen that this WILL HAPPEN! Look at Phil's quote below.........

. So yeah, I don't need people to buy a piece of hardware from us specifically to go play. It's an amazing Xbox experience, even though we didn't build the device. And I think that's totally fine.

He was talking about the ROG Ally here. Phil is literally telling us (the audience) that MS is totally fine putting their games on hardware that they don't make. Again......something they are totally happy with doing.

onQ123

They are priming the video game media and all gamers who listen that this WILL HAPPEN! Look at Phil's quote below.........

He was talking about the ROG Ally here. Phil is literally telling us (the audience) that MS is totally fine putting their games on hardware that they don't make. Again......something they are totally happy with doing.

The hope is for other companies to start competing for the prebuilt console like PC market & just sell their service & software.

pYcRwmO.png

mckmas8808

The hope is for other companies to start competing for the prebuilt console like PC market & just sell their service & software.

pYcRwmO.png

I think you are on to something, but most aren't ready to have that conversation. And NOBODY in the podcasting space in video games dare to mention what you are saying here. But it'll be smart of MS to do and most of us know that.

ActusReusJB

Neo Member
Does anyone here think that Xbox Series has any chance of catching up to PS5 with a mid-gen refresh that releases alongside a PS5 Pro?

It's possible that Microsoft wants to shorten the generation for themselves to get a leg up on the next one. With backwards compatibility and the proliferation of cross-gen titles the transition from generation to generation is much more seamless now without completely alienating your more loyal customers.

If Microsoft does want to hit next generation early as they did with the 360 then putting out a mid-gen refresh for holiday 2024 and moving to the next generation in Q1 2026 would be terrible publicity.
This is what I think they are going for. It also lets them move on from the Series S without needing to keep it along for the ride if they don’t want to.

damidu

Does anyone here think that Xbox Series has any chance of catching up to PS5 with a mid-gen refresh that releases alongside a PS5 Pro?

It's possible that Microsoft wants to shorten the generation for themselves to get a leg up on the next one. With backwards compatibility and the proliferation of cross-gen titles the transition from generation to generation is much more seamless now without completely alienating your more loyal customers.

If Microsoft does want to hit next generation early as they did with the 360 then putting out a mid-gen refresh for holiday 2024 and moving to the next generation in Q1 2026 would be terrible publicity.
wouldn’t work
they will not have the repeat of perfect storm like 360, where sony released a worse performing console, a year later, for $100 more.

if they start the gen early they’ll just lose the power narrative pretty bad again the coming year.

Top Bottom