• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Rumor: Xbox 720 = 2013 Release, Devs Have Target Specs For Both PS4/720

saunderez

Tom Penny said:
Specs mean nothing. Wii proved graphics and horsepower are not really relevant to gaming.
Proved what to who? The Wii was a major disappointment to me and I bought 2 of the things.

Jin34

Remember the HardOCP next gen hardware rumors? Well they posted an update:

HardOCP said:
We reported earlier this month in our "E3 Rumors on Next Generation Console Hardware" article that Microsoft's next-gen Xbox would likely be sporting a new IBM cell processor, although we did suggest that was not written in stone. We are hearing this week that AMD has very likely locked up the whole shebang with a Fusion Bulldozer variant APU. This of course will be a huge win for AMD.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Tom Penny said:
Specs mean nothing. Wii proved graphics and horsepower are not really relevant to gaming.

Har! It proved casuals could be satisfied with 3 or so party games and completely drop out.

Dreaver

I hope the PS4/X1080 have a huge improvement like The witcher 2 on high 60 FPS...

I'm wouldn't be suprised (and I am afraid it might happen) that the next consoles are just a small upgrade and more focused on motion controls, 3D and being a media center...

NBtoaster

I think a forgotten benefit of lots of ram is for the console OS. Imagine being able to do everything on the dashboard or XMB in-game, without waiting for icons to load. And browsers that aren't clunky, crashy or slow that can always be brought up in-game.

Only now are developers really hitting the hardware cap. However, so long as Crytek and Epic are able to push their engines further each year there isn't much of a drastic need for a new console.

Don't get me wrong, gaming PCs can do laps around consoles in terms of visuals. However, graphics aren't everything. When it comes to the core game experience consoles are able to, for the most part, keep up with PCs.

And as for the 2013 launch, I believe this 100%. 2013 is looking like a great year for new hardware.

Jin34

Ellis Kim said:
Microsoft, Sony, please don't pay attention to Nintendo :( Go with 2013, please.

Um the article says 2013 because they are paying attention to Nintendo, otherwise it'd be 2014.

iamshadowlark said:
4GB is alot more reasonable than you think. Hell more than 4 could be "reasonable" just not practical.

Based on what? It's plausible to believe PS4 and NextBox will be using GDDR5. That won't be as cheap as run of the mill DDR3 that you get off of Newegg.

I also think one of the main factors that is not acknowledged is the costs over multiple consoles. It's easy to say "I can get 4GB of memory for $50". Even still multiply that over the first 15-20 million consoles that are in production before a reduction in manufacturing costs. Now you are looking at $750M-$1B spent on just memory alone.

Dreaver said:
I hope the PS4/X1080 have a huge improvement like The witcher 2 on high 60 FPS...

I'm wouldn't be suprised (and I am afraid it might happen) that the next consoles are just a small upgrade and more focused on motion controls, 3D and being a media center...
At the very least, I expect Sony to have big upgrade. Sony have several very talented graphic powerhouses with nd, gg, and ssm. And Sony knows it. And the best way to show off their stregth is to have high end visual. I think by now, it is expected from Sony, especially after Vita delivering the high end spec on portable device.

Radec

Lunchbox said:
terabyte hdd and digital distribution or bust

tired of going to gamestop or waiting for the mailman

yeah, people around the world have at least 20-100mbps of internet connection! yay!

Massa

Callibretto said:
You want to download 50gb gran turismo 6 rather than go out and buy the game?

Downloading 50Gb once is a small price to pay for the convenience of having GT easily accessible on the hard disk.

RaijinFY

Radec said:
yeah, people around the world have at least 20-100mbps of internet connection! yay!

He was probably speaking for himself. For those without fast connection, they could still buy the game in retail stores. I would be happy with that personally.

supersaw

Massa said:
Downloading 50Gb once is a small price to pay for the convenience of having GT easily accessible on the hard disk.

You let people pre-load the game in the week leading up to release, that could easily be done even on a shitty ADSL connection. Steam does it for many releases.

bgassassin said:
Based on what? It's plausible to believe PS4 and NextBox will be using GDDR5. That won't be as cheap as run of the mill DDR3 that you get off of Newegg.

I also think one of the main factors that is not acknowledged is the costs over multiple consoles. It's easy to say "I can get 4GB of memory for $50". Even still multiply that over the first 15-20 million consoles that are in production before a reduction in manufacturing costs. Now you are looking at $750M-$1B spent on just memory alone.
Yes but these kinds of costs have been there since consoles started. Its not new. XDR and GDDR3 cost sony about $60 per ps3 and it wasn't near the top of the costs for that system. 4gbs of ram will not set sony or ms back any more than it has previously.

edit: less than that. Less than $40.
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/9659/untitled2fl4.jpg

Tom Penny said:

Yes and no. The Wii has been successful, but Nintendo's decision to use an update of Gamecube's older architecture instead of a more modernized one ultimately came with some major sacrifices when it comes to third party developers being able to use assets for multi-platform games. Due to this, it is likely for Nintendo to make sure that they are not as far behind in specs and graphical features to the competition as it was with the Wii.

I don't like the idea of Microsoft rushing their console to market since I've had far too many 360s break on me. If MS wants to sell me a console on launch day I need a time-lapsed video of their new console running for three months straight without breaking. Otherwise, I'm holding off.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Massa said:
The big price to pay would be when you receive a bill from ISP showing how much overages you have to pay, thanks to that, and other such downloads. For me and millions of others in Canada (and probably US too) that would be a reality :( We need much faster internet with much less restrictions for game downloads of that size to be a viable option for everyone.

Satchel

Banned
I know this WON'T happen, but I will be MORE than happy if we can have today's top end console visuals runnign in 1080p/60fps/full AA.

If we can get that next gen, I'm sweet.

iamshadowlark said:
Yes but these kinds of costs have been there since consoles started. Its not new. XDR and GDDR3 cost sony about $60 per ps3 and it wasn't near the top of the costs for that system. 4gbs of ram will not set sony or ms back any more than it has previously.

Well I was being "kind" when I said $50 because that was based on posters saying that based on DDR3 prices they would look at the computer. Since we aren't buyers we won't know how much it would cost at this time. That said I think you forgot to acknowledge how much the set back hurt them previously. Looking at the 360 since PS3's costs were an anomaly for console production, you're pretty much asking them to repeat another large loss leading console. And in this case that large amount of memory wouldn't even be necessary for a closed system. It would be more about saying they had it available more than anything else. They could save a good amount of money sticking with 2GB of memory and still have a powerful console.

Like I said on the last page if memory today is 1/4 the cost of memory back then, then you are doubling the cost of what they spent in 2005/06 if you are using 4GB.

EDIT: And that picture doesn't mean much since they say it's an estimate and I can show you other teardowns that pretty much all conflict.

supersaw

Lord Error said:
The big price to pay would be when you receive a bill from ISP showing how much overages you have to pay, thanks to that, and other such downloads. For me and millions of others in Canada (and probably US too) that would be a reality :( We need much faster internet with much less restrictions for game downloads of that size to be a viable option for everyone.

This would be rectified with peering arrangements, here in Australia where most ISP's have quotas a lot of them peer with services like Steam or XBLA for unmetered downloads.

AlStrong

bgassassin said:
Like I said on the last page if memory today is 1/4 the cost of memory back then, then you are doubling the cost of what they spent in 2005/06 if you are using 4GB.

Not to mention that you're going to need an obscene number of chips. 2Gbit density GDDR5 is only just barely being produced right now and not even high-speed. You'll need 16 chips to achieve 4GB total. Good luck fitting that on the motherboard. Attaching that to a 128-bit memory bus is even more lol-worthy. No one has plans for 4Gbit density either, so the cost-reduction plans are going to be very risky.

bgassassin said:
We don't know what kind of prices they were getting then and what kind of prices they are getting now or even what type of memory they are thinking of using. Where are you getting this 1/4 figure from btw?

AlStrong said:
Not to mention that you're going to need an obscene number of chips. 2Gbit density GDDR5 is only just barely being produced right now and not even high-speed. You'll need 16 chips to achieve 4GB total. Good luck fitting that on the motherboard. Attaching that to a 128-bit memory bus is even more lol-worthy. No one has plans for 4Gbit density either, so the cost-reduction plans are going to be very risky.

How would that look for GDDR3 (although I still think 4GB would be unreasonable)?

pieatorium said:
We don't know what kind of prices they were getting then and what kind of prices they are getting now or even what type of memory they are thinking of using. Where are you getting this 1/4 figure from btw?

I pointed out we won't know the prices in that post you quoted. The 1/4 was just a rough, generalized number I used to gain a little perspective.

Lets say it cost $40 in 2005 to purchase 512MB of GDDR3 memory and $10 (1/4) today. 4GB is eight times 512MB which would be $80.

bgassassin said:
Lets say it cost $40 in 2005 to purchase 512MB of GDDR3 memory and $10 (1/4) today. 4GB is eight times 512MB which would be $80.
What if it cost $50 for 512 in 2005 and $1 today, then 4gb is 8 times 512 which is $8.

What I want to know is how you got your rough generalised number

pieatorium said:
What if it cost $50 for 512 in 2005 and $1 today, then 4gb is 8 times 512 which is $8.

What I want to know is how you got your rough generalised number

What do you mean how? The description should tell you how in that there wasn't much to support the notion, while still guessing at something reasonable. Your 98% reduced counterpoint isn't even reasonable when looking at what we've seen in these types of components.

bgassassin said:
What do you mean how? The description should tell you how in that there wasn't much to support the notion, while still guessing at something reasonable.
Why is it reasonable though? is it just a pure guess out of nowhere?

pieatorium said:
Why is it reasonable though? is it just a pure guess out of nowhere?

It was going off of how we've seen prices reduce on items in the past and while I said "reasonable" I was attempting to overstate the amount of a reduction because it's going off of memory. So no it's not out of nowhere, yet at no time have I made a claim that it's factual.

patsu

AranhaHunter said:
And one is reserved for the OS, so developers only have access to 6 SPUs and the PPU IIRC.

The reserved SPU helps to run the GameOS while the game is running... Although it's not fully utilized. The Japanese gamers can also run PlayTV in parallel with a full game.

The BR stack is said to use all of them SPUs.

grap3fruitman said:
I don't like the idea of Microsoft rushing their console to market since I've had far too many 360s break on me. If MS wants to sell me a console on launch day I need a time-lapsed video of their new console running for three months straight without breaking. Otherwise, I'm holding off.
Same here, I'll probably wait a year or two, unless they decided to cover their console with a 2 year warranty. I've had my original Xbox and two 360's break on me. I may have even gone through more 360s, but I went 360-less for about 2 years until the S models came out.

The first year of a console's life are typically boring anyway, for me it just becomes a waiting game for the great games to come out.

okenny

Banned
Jin34 said:
Remember the HardOCP next gen hardware rumors? Well they posted an update:

I can understand not going with the same family Cell processor PS3 used but the idea of MS moving away from IBM RISC instructions makes my stomach turn with diarrhea bubbles :(

okenny

Banned
patsu said:
The reserved SPU helps to run the GameOS while the game is running... Although it's not fully utilized. The Japanese gamers can also run PlayTV in parallel with a full game.

The BR stack is said to use all of them SPUs.

Yo dawg. We heard you liked running Games in yo OS so we put GameOS in yo OS so yo OS can run while running games.

bgassassin said:
It was going off of how we've seen prices reduce on items in the past and while I said "reasonable" I was attempting to overstate the amount of a reduction because it's going off of memory. So no it's not out of nowhere, yet at no time have I made a claim that it's factual.
memory of what? prices reduce on what items?

okenny

Banned
BTW, Am I the only who finds all the fears about MS launching early and as a result "rushing to launch" unfounded? "MS was going to launch in 2014 but now we hear they may launch in 2013... RROD!... because 2.5 - 1 = 1.5 <--- this number is smaller you see o_O". This logic seems really strange to me. It's not like MS has been sitting on its ass since 2005 people!

bgassassin said:
Why do you want facts to support something that wasn't said to be factual?
I just want to know how you got that 1/4 figure you seemed fairly sure on it to bring it up a couple of times. It's obvious you used some method to work it out I would just like to know what you based off to get there.

szaromir

Banned
Jokeropia said:
Ready to be posted when requested. :)

http://i56.tinypic.com/2s1p5hw.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
This chart is completely misleading as Nintendo is pretty much video game business only, whereas the other two accommodate much more than that (Sony since they blended their console and laptop divisions two or so years ago, MS's around the time they started the Zune stuff 5 or so years ago). Overall 360 has been printing money since 2007, but this is offset by disastrous performance of various iterations of Zune, Kin and recently Windows Phone 7. At the last investors call they stated that Xbox's profitability was around $400M, while the division only posted income of around $200M.

All in all, there's nothing stopping manufacturers from stopping following the PS2/360 model of relatively strong hardware at launch subsidized for a brief period of time.

Top Bottom