• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Sony plans to potentially offer Crunchyroll as part of a more expensive premium PlayStation Plus offering

Boss Mog

They already have though. They bought funimation prior to this. This isn't new.
Sony has, not the PlayStation brand. Gaming is becoming mainstream but still slightly looked down upon. Anime on the other hand is heavily looked down upon. And sure there's genuinely good animes out there but the term "anime" has somewhat become associated with losers with waifu pillows. And whenever some thread pops up about censorship of what looks like 10 years old anime girls, you see the same degenerates with waifu avatars bitching when we should all be applauding. I just don't want to be associated with those people.

Kev Kev

Anime sucks and if you like it you should feel embarrassed of yourself.

It’s so cringe that for it to be even loosely associated with anything in gaming, means that through degrees of separation it is loosely associated with me, and that is just crossing the line 😂 It has creeped its fat, smelly, neck beard wearin ass into gaming culture in recent years and I won’t stand for it anymore god damnit.

Please, if you watch anime…
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

Last edited:
does anyone give a shit about this crunchyroll stuff? where is the E3 type showcase? im getting tired of this bullshit from sony. i want them to go back to 1 or 2 big shows per year instead of smaller state of plays.

Topher

Gold Member
Five posts in forty minutes, hey? [Insert snide "Sony Defence Force" remark here].

Seems you didn't bother to understand the context of those posts then, hey? Only three are talking about this Crunchyroll rumor directly and one of those explicitly says it would be "silly" if this higher tier was just about Crunchyroll.

Your two paragraphs I deleted were longer than all my posts combined. I'm not sure what point you think you were making about all of that or why you needed to get personal, but there it is. Regardless, it was just console warrior rhetoric so there isn't much point in replying. I'll say what I already said. I think it would be silly for Sony to offer a new tier of PS+ that was comprised of just crunchyroll. But we don't know if this rumor is true or what it would entail.

Last edited:
Playstation console and Playstation Plus should only be about games.

If they want to make a dent in streaming market, then target that market and use gaming as an added value. Not the other way around.

Hey, don’t put all anime into the same 🧺. Yes, there is truly weird and perverse stuff that has its roots in pedophilic tendencies but I’ve come across many anime throughout the years that is very decent and watchable. First group is giving whole anime a bad name, that’s true.

nbkicker

Somy just need to concentrate and get ps5 only games out instead of this ps5/ps4 cross over generation, pc conversions and all this rubbish with mergers with streaming platforms

AmuroChan

Exactly the point though. If I'm not willing to pay CR the $7 currently, why am I expected to pay the extra when bundled with Plus? I'll only pay for Plus and continue getting CR for free with ads. I might even drop Plus altogether even. But add in CR premium without ads? I might think twice about dropping Plus and actually keep it. It might also entice people to get Plus. Yes they don't pay for CR anyway, but bundled with Plus? That means they're getting a lot more for the same Plus amount. That's the incentive. Use CR as bait to pay for Plus.

Since Sony owns CR now, they're paying their salaries anyway. It's all Sony's pocket now. And it's how they want to use that bait.

I think the scenario you are describing will only impact a very small group of people. We've known about this acquisition for a year. How many people on the fence about PS+ are saying that including CR would get them to sign up for PS+? And why haven't they said that about Funimation when Sony have owned that for years? If Sony wants to make PS+ more appealing, add another monthly free game. That will have way more impact.

Anyway, this is kinda moot since the article already indicated that the CR inclusion would be to a new premium tier of PS+ (if it happens at all), and not to the regular PS+ tier that we have today.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Anime sucks and if you like it you should feel embarrassed of yourself.

It’s so cringe that for it to be even loosely associated with anything in gaming, means that through degrees of separation it is loosely associated with me, and that is just crossing the line 😂 It has creeped its fat, smelly, neck beard wearin ass into gaming culture in recent years and I won’t stand for it anymore god damnit.

Please, if you watch anime…
Stop It Michael Jordan GIF
Not Funny No GIF

yurinka

That would be pretty dumb when crunchyroll is geoblocked in Japan and there are much better domestic options.
Really? So it's for the American audience then?
In Europe we have Funimation geoblocked, so I assume Crunchyroll's main market should be Sonyland, I mean, Europe. Plus America.

Somy just need to concentrate and get ps5 only games out instead of this ps5/ps4 cross over generation, pc conversions and all this rubbish with mergers with streaming platforms
It would be dumb when they have almost 100 million montly users buying games on PS4 and many people on PC wanting to buy old ports. PS5 will have a too small userbase to focus their efforts on PS5 only games for the first couple of years, specially considering how expensive is to make one of their AAA games.

Anyway, this is kinda moot since the article already indicated that the CR inclusion would be to a new premium tier of PS+ (if it happens at all), and not to the regular PS+ tier that we have today.
What Sony said is they want to have an unified anime subscription, meaning that they seem to merge it with Funimation. Sony didn't say anything about PS Plus and Crunchyroll, it's Eurogamer who assumed it very likely misunderstanding Sony's words.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

What Sony said is they want to have an unified anime subscription, meaning that they seem to merge it with Funimation. Sony didn't say anything about PS Plus and Crunchyroll, it's Eurogamer who assumed it very likely misunderstanding Sony's words.

That would be fine with me. We'll see what the new pricing structure is for that new unified anime streaming service.

So there was something to the rumour a few years back that sony was working on a more "premium" ps plus..

probably just got delayed a few years

Armorian

Banned
In Poland there is bets test for ps plus movie application so this is some expand to that.

And best animes are better than best movies\tv shows, haters can go fuck themselves.

Last edited:

Rayderism

So....are they going to censor the anime cartoons like they do the anime games? I mean, it just seems weird that a company that is censor-happy would jump into the type of stuff they censor the most.

Graciaus

Sony has, not the PlayStation brand. Gaming is becoming mainstream but still slightly looked down upon. Anime on the other hand is heavily looked down upon. And sure there's genuinely good animes out there but the term "anime" has somewhat become associated with losers with waifu pillows. And whenever some thread pops up about censorship of what looks like 10 years old anime girls, you see the same degenerates with waifu avatars bitching when we should all be applauding. I just don't want to be associated with those people.
Believe it or not those same people want nothing to do with you either. Hence why censoring things is pointless.

So there was something to the rumour a few years back that sony was working on a more "premium" ps plus..

probably just got delayed a few years

This PS+ Premium rumored a while back sounds better. Features for gamers.

Crunchyroll and Sony's strategy with streaming media as a whole should not involve PS Plus. It would be better if it's PSNow instead. PSNow will never achieve critical mass ever. They better just use it to boost their other streaming platform like Crunchyroll/Funimation as an added value.

Last edited:
Crunchyroll has 120 million users. 5 of them paying the sub, the other ones watching ads. It isn't a small amount of people.

well thats cool and all for those that like this kind of stuff but i want games. when sony skipped E3 i assumed it was because they would do their own showcase but we havent got one yet. i really hope it isnt just state of play's going forward. they dont build hype the same way.

Last edited:

yurinka

well thats cool and all for those that like this kind of stuff but i want games. when sony skipped E3 i assumed it was because they would do their own showcase but we havent got one yet. i really hope it isnt just state of play's going forward. they dont build hype the same way.
Their anime business has nothing to do with them releasing or announcing more or less games. It isn't even in the same Sony division. In fact, Jimbo said PS5 is going to have more exclusives than all their previous consoles.

To suggest that their acquisition of an anime service would affect their amount of games released or announced makes no sense, it's like saying that Sony releasing new cameras or music albums is reducing their game output.

I understand the arguments against this because it's not game releated.
I already pay for PS+, Crunchyroll, and Funimation. It would be nice to just pay once.
I'm still sticking with PS+ but only for the included games. I don't do anything else online with Sony.
I could just drop PS+ and get whatever Sony puts together for the Anime content. I would miss the games but really they just sit on the harddrive not being played.
Really both crunchyroll and funimation services should be killed off and replaced with something new and usable. These anime services have always been the worst of all the stuff i pay for. The user interface, player, and streaming have always been stuck in the 90's.

Last edited:

Thabass

There are also plans to potentially offer Crunchyroll as part of a more expensive premium PlayStation Plus offering, Eurogamer understands.
Hey, Sony, do you mind offering PlayStation Now as part of that or, you know, part of the current PS Plus subscription? That would be a great.

ethomaz

Banned
Xbox teamup instead?

It is different and limited.

These with Crunchyroll Premium can trial Xbox Game Pass on PC for 3 months... and it is only valid to non Game Pass users.
It is valid until 10/31/21.

Last edited:
Top Bottom