• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Tabata on Final Fantasy XV - "core-centric", "casual", "best FF ever"

When Tabata gets booted from SE and is forced to use Kickstarter to fund his freemium iOS games we can all look back at this moment as to when everything went wrong.

Anura

Yeah, I noticed in the demo that he was dodging EVERYTHING perfectly. Even enemies off screen were being sidestepped like a pro.

Koozek

Jesus, the knee-jerk reactions in here.
This is not different than the auto-battle in FFXIII or letting the Gambits play the game in FFXII. You know that you can design a battle system around other factors besides twitch-skill, right? But, nooo, FF is dead now.

they can put 2 mode

- casual
- "old" gamer

is that too hard ?

People seem to be missing the point.

He's saying that the battle system has a different approach towards execution of movesets and techniques. The depth will not come from the twitch gameplay, but from other aspects of combat.

hohoXD123

Auto-battles didn't make FFXII less tactical or easier than any other FFs. Same for FFXIII.
It's not about it being easier overall, it's about having the additional challenge of manual battles, better control over the characters as well as (imo) making it more fun to play.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Jesus, the knee-jerk reactions in here.
T

It's the FF community, or in my theory FF antagonists that play the pissed off fans role in here. Because everyone complains, than someone buys each time 6-9 millions of main entries. Count doesn't match. FF fans must be somewhere else, hidden I don't know where. probably most are casual players?

SougoXIII

Other than the change in UI (I don't think the UI in this video is even real, some of it doesn't match up at all) what exactly has changed from this trailer to the gameplay they're showing now? Pretty much nothing. All the animations, models, effects, and environments have been improved, but nothing has changed. Do you know how the footage they showed in this video was being played? It could have been mostly identical, except they didn't describe it at the time. Think about that.

From that trailer? Well, you can manually dodge (when he kept rolling from the Iron giant while he wasn't being attack, indicating that that wasn't an automated process). Notics also can manual select what weapon he wanted to use then and didn't have to set them up beforehand. There's also a high emphasis on teleports in combat though I assume that will be available to us at a higher level.

Personally I just hope that there will be some depth to the combat in that the players do not have to go out of their way to make the combat more exciting.

It's the FF community, or in my theory FF antagonists that play the pissed off fans role in here. Because everyone complains, than someone buys each time 6-9 millions of main entries. Count doesn't match. FF fans must be somewhere else.

I can understand the disappointment.

But at the same time, the hyperbole is frustrating and also looking at it without context . One button press for awesome was pretty much 80% of all FF battle systems ever. Was Omnislash not one button to awesome?

Asd202

Guys I don't think it will get changed much they even want to patent this shit. They must be proud of it. Anyway it the story and exploration will good and the battle system will be fun I'm okay with this.

jman2050

I can understand the disappointment.

But at the same time, the hyperbole is frustrating and also looking at it without context . One button press for awesome was pretty much 80% of all FF battle systems ever. Was Omnislash not one button to awesome?

If this were actually a menu-based combat system I suspect most people wouldn't be as upset and/or cautious as they are. But it isn't.

Sylvatica

Crying.gif

If this were actually a menu-based combat system I suspect most people wouldn't be as upset and/or cautious as they are. But it isn't.

Considering that we haven't seen the UI at all, I disagree.

What I'm seeing out of this interview and all the stuff shared is that XV is basically a menu based combat system where the actions mapped to buttons, and the ARPG aspects of it are your real time movement and positioning of your characters.

As long as I can control the flow of combat I'll be happy. This sounds like a very interesting system that fits somewhere between your typical ARPG and Turn-based RPG.

Edit: Sounds like a lot of people want KH but with the FF name. I'd rather have FF try and do something interesting with its combat. We don't need and Square doesn't need two games that play incredibly similar.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm getting paranoid this is all so they can bring it to mobile and rake big bucks in Japan.

The lack of confirmed character jumping and switching is making it worse.

Just gotta be patient

Asd202

Star Ocean games were press one button and that was action.

Star Ocean had also deep cutomization,character switching, real time action system based on input and not automatic decks, every character had diffrent attack skills in battle, dogde system based on timing (SO4), defence mechanic that penalties spaming (SO3), strong and weak normal attack that were tied to the "shield" mechanic (SO3).
To be fair there's a lot of XV system that we don't know or so I hope...

Dark_castle

You know who I blame for all these? No, not Hajime Tabata. Not Yoichi Wada. Not Barack Obama. I blame
MagiusNecros

royox

So the negatives out of this combat system:
- Holding "Attack" for continuous string of attacks instead of manual pressing for better feedback
- Holding "Guard" for continuous dodging, and no manual dodge roll
- No Manual Party Assists
- No Party Switching (only Noctis playable?)

So...it's like Lightning Returns but withouth Lightning.

MormaPope

Banned
ff13 was one of the hardest FF games lol, pls go play before you mindlessly hate

Before chapter 11, where the game gets open, finishing battles quickly is the challenging part. Actually fighting? You have plenty of time to figure out strategies and to heal party members.

jman2050

Considering that we haven't seen the UI at all, I disagree.

What I'm seeing out of this interview and all the stuff shared is that XV is basically a menu based combat system where the actions mapped to buttons, and the ARPG aspects of it are your real time movement and positioning of your characters.

I mean, if they want to copy Star Ocean 1's battle system then it won't really be bad but it kinda won't be what was advertised.

Go_Ly_Dow

If this is indeed so they can transition of to mobage. Then we need an outcry bigger than ever before. Bigger than Operation Rainfall.

I blame Nirolak.

Soriku

I can understand the disappointment of wanting an action game and getting this instead, but why are turn-based game getting a free pass, here?

The twitch/reactionary aspect of action games is a big draw. In turn based game it's not, and you feel very much in control even if you're mainly using one button since you decide every action as everything is happening. FF XV is sounding a bit similar to FF XII where almost everything is decided by your setup and not what you actually do in battle. It's the difference between coaching and actually being a player. In FF XII you can play manually though, but it feels tedious compared to traditional turn based games.

If you've played enough action and turn based RPGs, you'll know what I'm getting at.

BadWolf

Just sounds like he doesn't want people to expect Devil May Cry.

Also, Verendus said in other thread that he has played it and he thinks that most fans of the series will like FFXV's battle system more than the one in XII and XIII (which is rather high praise imo).

I'm honestly fine with a more simplified control scheme where it's more about where you attack and how you set up your party. The combat at least looks really nice.

The old Kingdom Hearts-based combat always looked at bit odd because it seemed slower than actual Kingdom Hearts. I love KH's combat but what I saw in Versus 13 didn't look as good. I like they're going in a new direction.

I'm pretty sure this wasn't what Lord Nomura wanted to convey with this game.

Killing the hype interview by interview. The final blow would be microtransactions.

Thanks SE.

UrbanRats

That's great and all, but why do i have to press the button? i'm not getting any younger and i'm tired of having to press a button to interact with things on screen.
Can't the ai (with the new hardware especially) be the one to press that one button for me? Don't tell me it's impossible, because Advent Children had this fighting system and it worked great!

The demo will be really interesting, because Tabata repeats in almost every interview that people who are doubtful about the new direction of the game should check out the demo to see for themselves, so he's definitely approaching the demo as something he would be proud of and representative of how good the game could be. If the demo turns out to be shit, then it's pretty bad news for the full game too imo.

Too bad it will be behind a 60 bucks paywall ! I seriously think it's be better for everyone if they did some sort of exclusive pre-release with the game and announce that the demo will be available for all after a while, like 6 months before release.

I'm not so bummed out by the whole idea. I was expecting SQEX Uncharted since a long time anyway so I guess it's kinda something similar, except you get close combat instead of gunfights, which is probably more exciting anyway. The whole focus on positioning and whole strategy can certainly make sense - as others pointed, it was really gratifying to witness your gambit set work flawlessly in XII. I kinda draw another similarity from XII/XIV which is the MMOffline aspect : the fight being more about proper strategy and placement than your actions. It worked well for me as a PUG in XIV at least, so I don't see it being too bad. In a certain way, you have the same system in Xenoblade anyway. So it doesn't really strike me as such a departure from your run of the mill ARPG.

But I certainly can't shake the doubt away. Tabata's communication focus on simplifying the game and making it accessible might be the clue that they pushed it too far, but there is no way to know right now, especially not with that gameplay trailer, which doesn't give away "how you play" imho. And the second point : does Tabata (and his team) even have the talent to pull it off ? That's the big question for me. His games weren't exactly stellar, a lot of garbage design. And even a small piece like the demo wouldn't necessarily be a good point to judge the possible tedium induced by a 20-35h long game.

Wait and see then. But I'm not psyched. At all.

SougoXIII

The thing I'm confuse about this is that Tabata wanted to make it more casual than previous FF when combat wise FF have been casual as heck. You bob things in the head until you needed heal. There are no hardcore strategy needed or twitch reaction on demand (until you get to the secret bosses). The only 'hardcore' element is the time investment needed if you wanted to do everything, like any other RPG.

MormaPope

Banned
Star Ocean games were press one button and that was action.

This is nothing new.

What.

In Star Ocean 3 you set up special attacks and spells on other buttons. All of these comparisons are whack as fuck. If anything the combat system in FFXV seems unique and new, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be great or terrible. You also switch to other party members on the fly to extend combos in SO3.

Asd202

The thing I'm confuse about this is that Tabata wanted to make it more casual than previous FF when combat wise FF have been casual as heck. You bob things in the head until you needed heal. There are no hardcore strategy needed or twitch reaction on demand (until you get to the secret bosses). The only 'hardcore' element is the time investment needed if you wanted to do everything, like any other RPG.

That's true he makes it sound like XIII was so hard people didn't know how to play it when it's like the most shallow modern RPG that I played.

Koozek

It's the FF community, or in my theory FF antagonists that play the pissed off fans role in here. Because everyone complains, than someone buys each time 6-9 millions of main entries. Count doesn't match. FF fans must be somewhere else, hidden I don't know where. probably most are casual players?
5 of my best childhood are „hardcore“ but aren't on message boards and only check out the biggest game sites once in a while and they all buy every FF (LR was the first that no one I knew bought (I enjoyed it a lot for what it was!)). Those who drive-by post here aren't the majority that buys FFs in the end, I think, and those who passionately complain about it must be somehow emotionally invested enough so that they might buy it anyway because they can't resist to see themselves^^

BadWolf

Well FFXII and FFXIII did have rather unique systems that needed some learning.

It's kinda like From Software keeps talking about trying to make the game more accessible these days every time a new Souls game gets announced. They want to try and catch the attention of a new audience while the fans go nuts.

Top Bottom