• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of don't trust anyone

Who will win the next game?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I will start westernizing the moment my colony in South America is finished, assuming I am far enough behind to Castile in tech. Unless you can get a border with a western tech nation some time in the next 20 to 30 years, westernizing off me might be faster than any of the alternatives.

Depends how far ahead in tech you are, also I'll be next to genoa within 25 years.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
spy tech sounds overpowered, unless the rest of the idea group is as useless as it is now. Will be fun to pick it for once though!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I never liked the Hearts of Iron-series, way too much microing of the actual warfare itself (this has hopefully changed), too big power differentials between nations making only a few of them really interesting to play, and of course, a fixed scenario in a limited time span making for little replayability. I have no idea how much they are addressing these issues now though. Definitely way more interested in a more open-ended space game :)

Kabouter

I never liked the Hearts of Iron-series, way too much microing of the actual warfare itself (this has hopefully changed), too big power differentials between nations making only a few of them really interesting to play, and of course, a fixed scenario in a limited time span making for little replayability. I have no idea how much they are addressing these issues now though. Definitely way more interested in a more open-ended space game :)

I hope they address none of those, because it'd make it a non-WW2 game. The actual warfare should be the focus, the power differentials were massive and without a limited time span and a fixed scenario, it wouldn't be a WW2 game.

Morfeo

I hope they address none of those, because it'd make it a non-WW2 game. The actual warfare should be the focus, the power differentials were massive and without a limited time span and a fixed scenario, it wouldn't be a WW2 game.

Right, I was going to add that they probably wont, since that will alienate the fans they do have for that ww2-feel. Btw, this is why I think Europa Universalis is their best series, while it has historical flair, it is also by far the most open-ended of all of them.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
OPMs are way too overpowered in EU4, though. You get 1 ducat per month and 6 force-limit just for existing, which means two allied OPMs are roughly equally as powerful as a five province TAG. I mean, I know people want every tag to be viable but sometimes I find it very frustrating because it makes much of the game's balance be whack.

Morfeo

I dont really know if I agree. From a gameplay-perspective, that vibrating world of many smaller nations that characterize central Europe in the start, is by far the most fun world to play in, gives lots of opportunities, and forces the player to think through his actions (like I constantly fail to do). From an historical perspective, sure, you could say they are overpowered, but that is only a compensation to other parts of the game that is also unbalanced, particularly the way bigger powers dont really interfere in each others affairs in game, something which served to protect all those OPM during most of EUs time frame, and doesnt really happen that much in the game (although stuff like the Rival-system, Coalitions, the much stronger HRE etc are clearly steps in the right direction).

As late as after the 30-year war, there was about 1500 territories in the HRE that was in practice independent (and remember, after most of Italy was removed), and at the start of the napoleonic wars, there war about 330 if im not mistaken. If anything, these minors needs more, not less protection than now.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Since we are not that many remaining players, would those remaining be ok with starting 21pm CEST Wednesdays as well?

Morfeo

I dont want it as a general start - I still think 22 is the best starting point. But Im fine with it today if everybody else is.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Japan AAR

My western part kinda looks like a spider.

Change in Development: ~780 -> ~950
New colonialnations: Alaska

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
1557 - 1579
2tAXuGp.png

RJUQvzW.png

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Mamluks AAr

Finished the war against Ottos, Najd (grabbed Oman) and Tunis (fed Fezzan). Waged a small war against Adal, then went to war against Timurids and freed Persia. Also helped out Morfeo with some fleet assistance, since his army got stuck on Sardinia in his coalition war against most of the remaining Italy and Styria :p

Nice to see my War Galleys in action!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Morfeo's country looks like he has blasted it on the map with a sawed-off shotgun

Nation building Chuck Norris Style

Morfeo

AAR: Sardinia Piemont spreading the peace Chuck Norris-style

We started out where we ended last time, by hunting down the Bosnian oppressors, peaced out with them, and returned all the cores to our protected Croatia.

We then saw the Tunisian possession of the Baleares broke free from their former overlords declaring a Catalan duchy, and quickly decided we had to help them retain their peace, and thus offered our protection - which they gladly accepted. The ruthless conquerors in Aragon had also entered into the conflict, thus we were needed to instantly fight them. Both France and Castile entered on our side, and the Papacy and Provence on theirs, meaning it gave us a good opportunity to clean up in the chaos in the Mediterranean. The aragonese army got stuck on the Baleares - while we returned Naples to the Ducky of Naples, took control over the feared pirate harbors on Corsica to secure our trade - and returned to the legitimate government of Catalonia three provinces on the mainland.

This of course, sparked another round of coalitions against us, where all the nations eager to keep anarchy and chaos, united against me. This included Florence, Venice, Milan, Montenegro and Styria, but we had France, Bavaria and the Swiss federation on our side. Unfortunately, in a classic moment of stupidity, I underestimated their combined naval strength, and thus wasn't able to transport my army to the mainland in time to participate in those crucial early battles - which our side lost heavily without me (that AI France is definitely overrated). We eventually was able to land in southern Italy after the Mamelukes had interfered and sunk most of the imperialist navy, where we decisively routed the florentin army and started to retake most of the peninsula. At the end we were fighting a big battle outside of Firenze against the combined forces of the coalition, which we will hopefully be able to win, after sieging down and now controlling all the provinces in south and central Italy except that one.

Province Gained: Corsica
Vassals Gained: Catalonia
Provinces Gained for Vassals: Three on the iberian mainland, six or seven croatian ones, Naples.

Uzzy

Brandenburg AAR:

Took Luneburg and Wismar in a war, then lost Luneburg and Potsdam in another war against Saxony. Jolly good times.

Sat around doing nothing due to no manpower and money, then saw that the War of the Protestant League had kicked off, led by Bohemia. The most fun war in the entire game, and I couldn't do anything but sit and watch while playing Persona 4. More good times.

Bohemia ended up winning, so I got a lot of lovely bonuses. I then looked at the HRE post war, and discovered that I had a lot of friendly electors. So I just have to keep them onside and I'll become Emprah once Bohemia's 25 year old King dies.

I also ended up joining a war against Denmark, which had appeared again during the War of the Protestant League. Sweden do love to beat them up, I suppose. Denmark were allied with Brunswick, who had taken back Luneburg.. so I might just end up with that province again. I'll have spent so much paper mana on that one province, I swear.

Provinces Gained: Luneburg, Wismar
Provinces Lost: Luneburg, Potsdam
Emprah Status: Waiting on the Golden Throne.

Fitz

Was really pleased to hear about the changes to random new world, horrible when developers release a half-baked idea and leave it to die without improvement. I may well do a colonial game first when the new DLC is out and give this a go.

ZZMitch

Yeah, this stuff sounds really good. I think I am actually gunna play with RNW on for the first time once this patch comes out.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
How have the Persians not declared war yet? Are they waiting for him to beat the Ottomans and then crush all his hope?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Might be his alliance to mamluks that is saving him from the persians?

AI can be pretty dumb with how they calculate how strong an alliance chain is, if I remember right.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
It's the greatest comeback I've seen so far.

I would have probably given up pretty fast after the civil war, just let the ottomans get those 5 provinces.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
The civil war probably helped him more than anything. Despite costing him his entire army and prestige, the rebels took back all his occupied provinces and fought the Ottomans for him (plus they gave him a free army at the end of it). He probably should have revoked the Mamluks military access because they were sometimes fighting the rebels instead of the Ottomans.

Uzzy

Ottoman proving once again that he's a Terminator, a learning computer.

40 years spent to earn three provinces, which are promptly razed. Now that's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom