• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of don't trust anyone

Who will win the next game?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
server: 90098308538487817

remember to stay on/roll back to 1.13.2 :p

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Japan AAR:

Finished my ridicilously long westernization this session and in the end of the session I had the same mil tech as west europa, nice!

Ming attacked Dai viet and MGO held out and eneded up taking a province and giving back a few of the cores I lost in the last war. It was hard for me because they easily could defeat 40k of my men with 25k of their in the war so it ended up being a war of attrition kinda.
But the best part of the war is ming losing their mandate 0of heaven which at this point has led to Jin being released, and soon to follow a lot more states.

I also took more of oirat and timurids right after my westernizing.
I also ended up going to war against ottomans to feed my vassal some land before I annex him, mostly old georgian land and then I'm fine with annexing him.

Got 1,2k development but I'm almost sure mamluks has more and if he don't then he will as soon as he annexes persia.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
1601-1621
cG3EC8s.png

NhNqSpI.png

Uzzy

Brandenburg AAR:

Lots of progress today. Started off in a war against Poland for Poznan, and I was confident of a nice easy victory. Poznan was cut off and neither of us had military access to the rest, so I simply had to wait it out. But after moving my troops away from Poznan after looting it to the ground, I looked away for maybe two minutes and came back to discover that Poland had retaken it, Bohemia had declared on them and were currently occupying the province.

So that didn't work out. Kinda frustrating, but it didn't matter. The grand alliance of Brandenburg, Bohemia and the Swedish-Lithuanian Commonwealth smashed into the Teutons along with their Hanseatic allies. Even though my own armies were smaller in number, I was far enough along my ideas track to really put the boot in. I took Danzig, Tuchel and Notec, and forced The Hansa to release Verden and Saxe-Lauenburg. Saxe-Lauenburg was so grateful to be released that they quickly signed up to be my vassal.

Pomerania had been left diplomatically isolated by recent wars, and their people cried out for freedom from religious tyranny. So naturally, I had to invade to show them the light. Another quick, easy war saw my Space Marines first destroy the feeble Pomeranian army, then take down their walls. I took Stolp and fed Mecklenburg a province, who promptly made me miss the new patch by giving it back goddamn useless vassals why would you do that you shits.

However, the big action was yet to come. With my recent attacks into the Teuton lands, I found a new neighbour, the Hungarians.. and new opportunities. They had grown large with recent attacks into Austria, and so had angered a number of neighbours, including my allies. I declared and brought Bohemia and the SLC in on my side, along with a number of minor allies. They brought Milan, Saxony and Styria to the party. My Space Marines had by now fully unlocked all the Prussian ideas, and so spat hot death out to any who opposed them. I swiftly crushed the Saxons, taking Leipzig for my troubles, then focused entirely on Hungary. The combined armies simply overwhelmed the doomed Hungarians, and some good co-ordination with Sardinia-Piedmont ensured that Milan and Styria's home provinces were occupied. In the end, I took Leczyca and Sieradz, as advancing any further would push my AE up into the atmosphere. Still, a lot of progress! Crushing the Teutons and taking back my waifu will come soon enough.

Provinces Gained: Danzig, Tuchel, Notec, Stolp, Lepizig, Leczyca, Sieradz.
Vassals Gained: Saxe-Lauenburg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
AAR: Sardegna-Piemonte: In which a new, peaceful and glorious age was established in the Apennine peninsula

We started by coming to the aid of the poor peasants in Aragon, who asked us to get rid of their current rulers and become their new overlords. In our friendliness, we forgot we had a truce with them, which sent us to -3 stability and towards disaster. This also gave us some crazy aggressive expansion, which spawned another coalition. Fortunately we have some experience in handling those.

At the same time, our loyal subjects, the serbians, asked for us to help them regain some territory Bosnia had occupied. Of course we obliged, sending us into a second war against Bosnia and Bohemia.

This sparked the coalition war, which Tuscany once again started, with Burgundy, Castile, Austria and them, against me, Bavaria, France and Portugal. Fortunately, my army was not stuck on Sardegna this time, making life much easier. Our army was already split in three to deal with the various conflicts, one occupying Aragon, once occupying Provence, and one occupying Bosnia. The first one simply went into Castile proper where it linked up with Portugal with great success and completely dominating Castille. The second linked up with France, and dominated Burgundy, while Bavaria dealt with Austria, and Tuscany seemed happy to siege Siena for now.

However, the third army of about 15k got attacked and stackwiped by bosnias bohemian allies, forcing us to pay some money to get out of that war.

After that, we also decided it was time to get out of the first war, so we got the easternmost province from Provence to secure our borders, and was happy to accept the aragonese cry for protection, making them a vassal. We also got completely rid of Burgundy and Castile from the coalition war, after occupying more or less all their provinces.

Tuscany, understanding that time was not at their side with allies falling like flies, decided it was time to move, and ended up attacking us in the Italian alps - and failing completely at it. We then pursued them into Tuscany proper, annihilated them, sieged down and occupied them completely as a thank you for all the coalition wars where the opposite has been true.

At the peace congress, it was decided a new order in Italy was needed, and Tuscany had to give up all their six southern provinces back to our friends and subjects in Naples, giving me control up to Abruzzi, and also returning Corsica, Modena and Luca to me, completely breaking the dictatorial tuscan dominance in central Italy. In the end, it seems breaking the truce with Aragon, getting a disaster and -3 stability, turned out pretty well for the peace in Europe.

We then saw our friends in Brandenburg moving against Hungary, and decided it was time to clean up the mess Fanboi had created by taking serbian lands for Hungary, and joined in on the fun. This of course, also led us into conflict with the hungarian allies in Styria and Milan, and after a few close battles, we were able to annihilate their armies, completely occupy their territory and get a well deserved revenge. Too bad the value of the north italian provinces are so high that I could only take a few, but we ended with returning Raska to Serbia, take Friuli from Styria and Genoa from Milan, finally linking our possession in northern and central Italy. And of course this sparked another coalition. Friuli was used to form the new Illyrian Kingdom of Venice, which should play a key role against Milan in the future.

Just before end, we joined our friends in Japan and Egypt against the cruel ottomans, and started siegeing down their remaining european territories, with the hope of being able to completely unite all southern slavic people under our protection next time.

Provinces gained: Draguignan, Corsica, Lucca, Modena, Genova
Provinces gained for vassals: Abruzzi, Calabri,, Lucania, Salerno, Cosenza, Capitanata (Naples), Raska (Serbia)
Vassals gained: Aragon, Venice

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Mamluks AAR
A relatively quiet session for the first hour, waiting for truces and vassals to integrate, Persia takes forever, and I hope to time in Karaman or Marehan as well. Took some more provinces from Najd (rip), Timurids and Kaffa.

Then as soon as truce with Ottos ran out I started the last big war against them, morocco and sind. Everyone and their grand mother jumped on Ottos as soon as their army was mostly dead, but I've got control of the stuff I'm primarily after (const trade node stufff), and am currently working on getting something nice out of their partners in crime as well.

Which will probably make Persia take even longer to integrate lol

Finally picked expansion as fourth (lol) idea group after finishing my first three and worked my way over to stuff in middle of Africa.

Uzzy

I give it about a day before there's a vid from Arumba explaining how this new fort system is literally the devil. It always sounds good in theory, but the execution has left a lot to be desired so far.

Fitz

I wouldn't be surprised if you're right about that, but it feels really good right now, so far at least, played about 1 hour since the hotfix. I'm able to move around my own territory unrestricted, but if an enemy takes one of my forts it can be a major issue, as it should.

I give it about a day before there's a vid from Arumba explaining how this new fort system is literally the devil.

On the other hand, Arumba these times is more about complaining and blaming the UI or the game in general for really dumb mistakes he makes.
So much for being a "master of EU4".

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
On the other hand, Arumba these times is more about complaining and blaming the UI or the game in general for really dumb mistakes he makes.
So much for being a "master of EU4".

There's only one master, ddrjake.

No but seriously quill18 is a better teacher and when you've learned the game you should just jump in and watch the more skilled people.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Japan AAR:

Finished my ridicilously long westernization this session and in the end of the session I had the same mil tech as west europa, nice!

Ming attacked Dai viet and MGO held out and eneded up taking a province and giving back a few of the cores I lost in the last war. It was hard for me because they easily could defeat 40k of my men with 25k of their in the war so it ended up being a war of attrition kinda.
But the best part of the war is ming losing their mandate 0of heaven which at this point has led to Jin being released, and soon to follow a lot more states.

I also took more of oirat and timurids right after my westernizing.
I also ended up going to war against ottomans to feed my vassal some land before I annex him, mostly old georgian land and then I'm fine with annexing him.

Got 1,2k development but I'm almost sure mamluks has more and if he don't then he will as soon as he annexes persia.
Ming's army was no joke. In addition to 105% discipline and 5.2 morale, their military tech was actually ahead of time even by western standards for a brief period before the war began. Even with a few offensive ideas, a decent general, a morale adviser, and additional infantry combat ability, I could only defeat Ming in battle through superior numbers - a difficult proposition when you're talking about Ming.

Despite the large numbers of soldiers involved, the war only came down to three major engagements on my front. The first engagement was a "minor skirmish" involving 30k Ming troops and around 60k of my troops. Ming was apparently not impressed by my victory, because their next offensive consisted of around 100k troops altogether, which forced me to fall back behind my forts. Dai Viet's capital is in a horrible strategic position, as it's located a mere two provinces away from the border, with no other forts in between to shield it from Ming's advance. I also compounded the problem by not upgrading that to a level two fort. But even as they laid siege to my capital, Ming detached 40k troops and sent them all the way down to Ayutthaya. They were so isolated from the rest of Ming's army that I could attack and defeat them without worrying about reinforcements reaching me.

Although by this point two of my forts had fallen to Ming's sieges with relative ease, they only had about 50k troops left in the area, so that gave me the opportunity to go on the offensive and take back my provinces. The final engagement started when about 90K Ming troops (at their peak) attacked 40k Bengal troops in the jungle. Because I was so slow to join the battle, it was only narrowly won. I never saw their armies again, presumably because they had lost the mandate of heaven (no idea how they managed to fall from +2 to -2 stability during the course of the war) and they had to deal with major rebel problems.

The strange thing about Ming's declaration of war is that it was it made under less than ideal conditions. Shan never joined Ming's offensive war (I assume because they were threatened rather than hostile toward me) and Bengal joined on my side, despite having just fought a grueling death match against Delhi. If either of those factors had gone against me, Shan joining or Bengal refusing to join, it would have been a much tougher war. And Spirited helped a lot by engaging a good deal of Ming's army in the north, giving Bengal and I a small enough margin to defeat the rest of Ming's forces. It was a costly war; I lost almost all my manpower and didn't handle the attrition well. But I think Ming's armies pretty much withered away in the jungles, so by the time they lost the mandate of heaven their manpower must have also bottomed out.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Ming's army was no joke. In addition to 105% discipline and 5.2 morale, their military tech was actually ahead of time even by western standards for a brief period before the war began. Even with a few offensive ideas, a decent general, a morale adviser, and additional infantry combat ability, I could only defeat Ming in battle through superior numbers - a difficult proposition when you're talking about Ming.

Despite the large numbers of soldiers involved, the war only came down to three major engagements on my front. The first engagement was a "minor skirmish" involving 30k Ming troops and around 60k of my troops. Ming was apparently not impressed by my victory, because their next offensive consisted of around 100k troops altogether, which forced me to fall back behind my forts. Dai Viet's capital is in a horrible strategic position, as it's located a mere two provinces away from the border, with no other forts in between to shield it from Ming's advance. I made a mistake of not upgrading that to a level two fort. But even as they laid siege to my capital, Ming detached 40k troops and sent them all the way down to Ayutthaya. They were so isolated from the rest of Ming's army that I could attack and defeat them without worrying about reinforcements reaching me.

Although by this point two of my forts had fallen to Ming's sieges with relative ease, they only had about 50k troops left in the area, so that gave me the opportunity to go on the offensive and take back my provinces. The final engagement started when about 90K Ming troops (at their peak) attacked 40k Bengal troops in the jungle. Because I was so slow to join the battle, it was only narrowly won. I never saw their armies again, presumably because they had lost the mandate of heaven (no idea how they managed to fall from +2 to -2 stability during the course of the war) and they had to deal with major rebel problems.

The strange thing about Ming's declaration of war is that it was it made under less than ideal conditions. Shan never joined Ming's offensive war (I assume because they were threatened rather than hostile toward me) and Bengal joined on my side, despite having just fought a grueling death match against Delhi. If either of those factors had gone against me, Shan joining or Bengal refusing to join, it would have been a much tougher war. And Spirited helped a lot by engaging a good deal of Ming's army in the north, giving Bengal and I a small enough margin to defeat the rest of Ming's forces. It was a costly war; I lost almost all my manpower and didn't handle the attrition well. But I think Ming's armies pretty much withered away in the jungles, so by the time they lost the mandate of heaven their manpower must have also bottomed out.

They decided to move all of their 80k troops into my territory/on the border to my siberian territory so I ended up going with all my men to caucasia just so they couldn't stackwipe them.

Also they kept up with tech because of the crazy income which let them have constant lvl3 advisors.

Fitz

I think it's just the the regional name selection being dodgy, you can get "Xish" - Ireland under certain circumstances.

Ireland is part of the British Isles so technically not wrong.

Ireland is part of the British Isles so technically not wrong.

Tell that to an Irishman and prepare to hear quite a tirade.
According to Irish people I've talked to, Ireland is not geographical part of Britain and the additional islands.

Fitz

I jest, being from the UK, I understand the dangers of calling an Irishman British. :p Was referring to the rarely used geographical term, British Isles, which encompasses both Great Britain and Ireland.

Well according to those Irish I talked to, the geographical term "British Isles" only refers to Britain. There is no geographical term that includes both Britain and Ireland, not even "Western European group of islands".

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Well according to those Irish I talked to, the geographical term "British Isles" only refers to Britain. There is no geographical term that includes both Britain and Ireland, not even "Western European group of islands".

British Isles definitely does refer to both Great Britain and Ireland, because the term is ~2500 years old and predates both the states the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, belonging to an era when Great Britain was known as Mega Bretanike (Great Britain) and Ireland was known as Mikra Bretanike (Lesser Britain). The problem comes from the fact that Ireland then reverted to the endonym (Eire / Ireland), whereas Great Britain never did the same (Albion / Albhain / Alba, or some variation). If it was the United Kingdom of Albion and Northern Ireland, and citizens were Albions and Irish, then calling the islands the Britsh Isles probably wouldn't be contentious, but given that the Anglo-Scots union decided very selfishly to steal the term "British" for themselves, we have the current muddle.

But yes, "Irish Britain" looks stupid.

EDIT: The best analogy would be Canadians claiming there is no such term to describe the landmass that Canada, the United States of America, and the United Mexican States are on, and it's definitely not "America" because that refers to the United States. Well, no - even though the United States has basically nicked the term American, it is not incorrect to describe Canada as American, because Canada was part of the American continent long before the United States of America became a concept.

I am not contenting that, Crab, I know very well the history of the term of Britain. I'm just saying - don't bring it up with an Irishman. :p

And that analogy you're saying is exactly what those Irish told me.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ireland was hardly part of the British Isles that really mattered
red = realm, orange = vassals, yellow = allies

long live King Knut II

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Welp, time to abandon the new patch.
Your fault for abandoning Ireland for the new world (assuming that is what you did).

Anyway, I found a major problem with the For Odin achievement, which requires conquering Britain and Scandinavia and converting them to Norse. Subject nations don't count toward the achievement, but Greenland is still part of the Scandinavian region. So once you form a colonial nation in Canada, the only way to get the achievement is to release Canada and then conquer Greenland for yourself.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I am not contenting that, Crab, I know very well the history of the term of Britain. I'm just saying - don't bring it up with an Irishman. :p

And that analogy you're saying is exactly what those Irish told me.

I am Irish on my mother's side, got the passport and all. :p

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Ireland was hardly part of the British Isles that really mattered

red = realm, orange = vassals, yellow = allies

long live King Knut II

Did you just displace Rogaland on that map to spot me, or did you actually found it on wikipedia that way?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i'm too lazy to look for the official thread so i'll just ask here: i started euiv to continue an iroman game, but the save file was no longer iron man (instead of the one iron man save, there were 4 saves, three autosaves and the beginning of the previous session, none of them iron man). for a second i thought i had been playing with the iron man off and simply not realized it, but i got one achievement from the run so it had to be iron man at some point. is this a common bug?

The Cossacks patch has kinda messed up Iron Man saves. It's a known bug. Not sure if the hotfix that came out last night fixed it, though.

CloudWolf

i'm too lazy to look for the official thread so i'll just ask here: i started euiv to continue an iroman game, but the save file was no longer iron man (instead of the one iron man save, there were 4 saves, three autosaves and the beginning of the previous session, none of them iron man). for a second i thought i had been playing with the iron man off and simply not realized it, but i got one achievement from the run so it had to be iron man at some point. is this a common bug?
I've had that bug after I finished my Albania run, with the Ironman save suddenly becoming a non-Ironman save. No idea what happened.

Uzzy

Goddamn fucking desires your provinces modifier. I've been playing as the Teutonic Order (mostly so I can do what I should have been doing in this multiplayer session) and smashing into Muscovy for the Baltic Crusader achievement. Stuff's going great, I've been allied with the Austrians since day 1, conquered most of Poland, Lithuania, Brandenburg, Pomerania, Denmark, and dismembering Sweden and Muscovy. Fought alongside the Austrians for nearly 200 years, won the league war for them and were generally complete bros.

Then they suddenly break their alliance with me. Because they desire ALL my provinces. And they joined in with support for independence for my Kievian march, along with GB, Ottomans and Muscovy.

So yeah, that's that game gone.

Uzzy

Brandenburgian AAR:

Finally achieved my goal. For a month. This fucking game man.

So I had a slow start today, where I was slowly for truces to expire and rebuilding my army following the Hungarian wars. I was pretty glad that the Capcom Cup was on, spent most of the first forty minutes watching that.

Once the truce with the Teutons expired, I readied myself, removed revolt risk and switched to war related church aspects. The Teutons had Russia, Austria and Bavaria as allies, while I had my vassal swarm, Bohemia, the Swedish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and a few minors.

The only downside of this war was that my Space Marines barely got a chance to prove their martial qualities. The Bohemians crushed Austria and Bavaria, while the SLC smashed Russia to the ground. I just had to mop up a bit and siege down some provinces, knocking over forts like they weren't there. I took a load of money and reparations from Austria, Bavaria and Russia, and five provinces, Marienburg, Chelmno, Plock, Warszawa and Sandomierz from the Teutons. Felt fantastic to finally get in reach of removing them from the map, the total warscore cost of their provinces now sits at 91%. One more war and they're gone, and I can finally switch to Prussia. That war pushed me over 300 development for the first time, so I could finally become a Kingdom. Which was nice.

As I waited for those provinces to get cored, my loyal ally Cleves called me into a defensive war. Burgundy felt they could cleanse Cleves of the one true faith, and my Space Marines went into battle to prove them wrong. It was pretty nice to see them at full strength, smashing into armies and wiping them in moments, then knocking over forts like they were made of cardboard. One fell in 40 days. That war was easily won, though Cleves felt unwilling to take any provinces. So pathetic.

The next war came against Hungary and Galicia-Volhynia. Our friends down in Sardinia-Piedmont wisely abandoned the Hungarians, and the combined armies of Bohemia, SLC and Brandenburg crushed all before us. I even managed to convert the OPM of Frankfurt and made them see the light of the one true faith.

It was during this war that the game decided to drive in it's cruelest knife. Bohemia's young king died in May 1643, and King-Elector Karl I, who was over 70 and had ruled Brandenburg since 1600, was elected Emperor, finally fulfilling 40 years of diplomatic work. As I celebrated, Karl I died a whole one month later, and Bohemia's 9 year old boy was elected Emperor in his place. Yay.

Anyway, I recovered and took Lublin, Tarnow, Nowy Sacz and Krakow during that war, and settled down to wait for the truce with the Teutons to expire. During this time I integrated Verden and Saxe-Lauenburg, thinking that the malus with HRE members wouldn't matter so much as by the time Bohemia's king died it'd have gone away. But I didn't expect Bohemia to suddenly get the desire my provinces malus too. They broke the alliance, but I'm confident it's too late. I'm far too strong now, especially as the SLC still love me.

Besides, Bohemia is long overdue for a good punching. Death to the False Emperor.

Provinces Gained: Marienburg, Chelmno, Plock, Warszawa, Sandomierz, Lublin, Tarnow, Nowy Sacz, Krakow
Vassals Integrated: Verden, Saxe-Lauenburg
Vassals Gained: Thuringia

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Uzzy will get an additional +1 to my intended rating simply for his persistence. He is really role playing that prussian discipline

It does, it's more sensible, but it can make things quite a lot trickier for nations where the normal strategy was just to rely completely on large allies for your fighting :p

Bollocks. Never going to play HRE minor again :p

Uzzy

What kind of terrible things did you do to lose the vote in a month?

I wish I knew! I know that the votes were close, with Brandenburg only being favoured by a few points by some of the voters, so I imagine the improved relations bonus must have ticked down during that one month.

I didn't check the HRE screen after becoming Emperor. I should have done, but I was a little busy winning the war against the Hungarians. Who, by the way, spread their terrible increased coring cost virus to all the provinces I took from them. 434 paper mana for Krakow is ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Hungary got nothing on my -50% coring cost in Europe
for now

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I like the aims of the favour system, but the actual implementation makes me fail dirty. Spending favour points makes me feel all Civ, except even Civ isn't that abstract about diplomacy (barring BE).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Mamluks AAR:
jlkFQRU.png

rough job

Finished the war against Otto, Sind and Morocco. Did a little war against Katsina in Central Africa to brush up my borders. Did another war against Ottos, and ended with a small one against The Knights.

Looking forward to no longer cock-blocking myself with vassals in almost all directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom