• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europeans shafted yet again (No More Heroes)

peetfeet

just been reading this on Gamesradar....

Europe to get the censored version of No More Heroes (ala Japan), oh for fucks sake.....

said:
It's hardly a crucial matter, but after recently playing the European version of No More Heroes - the assassination actioner from Killer 7 creator Suda 51 - we're a bit miffed about the lack of bloody violence. Especially since Suda had always promised the game could be "even more violent than Manhunt 2".

Ah. But that appears to refer to the American version, which features decapitations, ludicrously brilliant fountains of blood and other ultraviolent combat consequences. In Europe, we'll be playing the 'dead bodies turn to black ash' version, which is also released in Japan.

Why? Well, we asked the chaps who showed us the game, from publisher Rising Star Games, if the decision had been influenced by the BBFC's refusal to grant Manhunt 2 a Euro release. "Maybe," was their terse answer. Hmmm.

Sorry if posted already did'nt see anything when searching....

Shafted? It doesn't really change the gameplay.

It would be a shame if Rising Star wasn't even confident enough to push for a bloody version. It's still pretty surreal.

YourMaster

Well, wasn't that hyped anyway. So if we really do get a censored version it would be an easy decision to skip it. If uncensored I'd probably buy it.

Lobster

Banned
Before anyone starts complaing about NoE...

IT WASN'T NOE!

YourMaster said:
Well, wasn't that hyped anyway. So if we really do get a censored version it would be an easy decision to skip it. If uncensored I'd probably buy it.

Only blood is censored..all the swearing and violence is still there. They replace blood with a black spray.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Visualante said:

It would be a shame if Rising Star wasn't even confident enough to push for a bloody version. It's still pretty surreal.

It hurts the game's awesome over the top presentation though...one of the best things about it

peetfeet

Visualante said:

True, but it's getting to be one thing after another lately. Why not let it be (and how it was intended) and replace with censored version if the damn BBFC starts to moan, again.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
If you don't buy this game because of this, hand in your gamer membership card. You don't deserve it!

Natsume

I'm disappointed but I'll still pick it up. Is it definitely the version all PAL gamers will get or is it just a case of misinterpretting Europe as UK again because wasn't Manhunt 2 going to be released uncensored in some countries in Europe until Take Two just decided not to?

Dachande

Visualante said:
I've already mailed Martin from RS to clarify so no need to spam attack them. It won't achieve anything.

It isn't spam - it's in order to let the company know our feelings on the matter. The sort of people who browse GAF and would read this thread are the target audience for the type of game No More Heroes is. It doesn't have a mass market potential, and if there's anything they can do to make it appeal more to us and keep us happy, they ought to be considering it. Not doing so won't make it shift any more copies to the larger public.

Dachande said:
It isn't spam - it's in order to let the company know our feelings on the matter. The sort of people who browse GAF and would read this thread are the target audience for the type of game No More Heroes is. It doesn't have a mass market potential, and if there's anything they can do to make it appeal more to us and keep us happy, they ought to be considering it. Not doing so won't make it shift any more copies to the larger public.
It might be the case that there is no point submitting a blood buried version to the BBFC if they're going to view 15 minutes footage and reject it. Especially considering Suda's quotes.

If it gets the game into your hands quicker by cutting out the BBFC's internal debate then that's hardly a bad thing- what is worrying is that developers aren't even challenging the ratings board anymore.

Dachande

Visualante said:
It might be the case that there is no point submitting a blood buried version to the BBFC if they're going to view 15 minutes footage and reject it. Especially considering Suda's quotes.

I seriously doubt they'll do that. The game may be gory, but it's cartoony, stupid gore, and no worse than other things they've let through before. They also can't take Suda's quotes into consideration when judging it, as what they review has to be taken on its own terms with no external influences such as those.

If it gets the game into your hands quicker by cutting out the BBFC's internal debate then that's hardly a bad thing

But I'd rather wait longer and get the 'proper' version than not.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I would have prefered blood in my copy of No More Heroes!! It is possible to change the censorship according to the language you set your console to. I know GTA games did it.

Guled

sp0rsk said:
If you don't buy this game because of this, hand in your gamer membership card. You don't deserve it!
I agree. This looks like to be the best 3rd party Wii game. Not buying it is like begging for ports/casual games. Its not like its game changing, just black blood instead of red.

This is bullshit. I will definitely buy No more Heroes in some form because I am a fan of Suda and NMH looks fantastic but I would rather not have to settle for a censored version. This really makes no sense, I can't see a game with such a bizarre art style being rated anywhere near as harshly as Manhunt 2.

I don't understand this decision at all. NMH is a game, that is mainly focused on the hardcore gamers, and these are exactly the sort of people, that will know about the censorhship and and don't hesitate to skip this game.
And that hasn't even anything to with the desire for blood (NHM isn't even that violent anyway, just totally over-the-top), censorship is just not acceptable and must not be supported.

Dachande said:
I seriously doubt they'll do that. The game may be gory, but it's cartoony, stupid gore, and no worse than other things they've let through before. They also can't take Suda's quotes into consideration when judging it, as what they review has to be taken on its own terms with no external influences such as those.
It's a tough distinction to decide what is cartoony or not.

To see a human biped cut in half by a sword is pretty gory. Would Manhunt 2 be okay in their eyes if it had a more gentle palette?

It's a reasonable move on RS's part to make the cut if they didn't think it would get rated.

YourMaster

sp0rsk said:

Everything still depends on the reception of the game off course, but I'm enough of a cultural snob to decide to spend my gamingeuro's elsewhere if a game I'm not that interested in to begin with is censured.

Part of it is that the game will be slightly less enjoyable, and the other part is that I tend to use my hard urned money to vote for the things I approve of. Where first I would've liked to support an unique effort, now I would dislike to spend my money on a practice I strongly disapprove of. If the game turns out to be something I really like I would suck it up.

Teddman

sp0rsk said:
YEAH! Also, hand in your film buff card if you don't watch edited R-rated films on broadcast TV! You don't deserve it.

Everyone do your part to support censorship!!!

Teddman said:
YEAH! Also, hand in your film buff card if you don't watch edited R-rated films on broadcast TV! You don't deserve it.

Yippi-kai-yea Teddman

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Teddman said:

Don't put something you can't help in front of supporting good games for a system that has barely any.

If you want good games on the Wii, buy the good games. It may be censored, but the game is so full of controversial content as it is.

Don't let a good game die folks.

Jokeropia

JunoTaksumi said:
Is it definitely the version all PAL gamers will get or is it just a case of misinterpretting Europe as UK again because wasn't Manhunt 2 going to be released uncensored in some countries in Europe until Take Two just decided not to?
I'd like to know that as well. I mean, why would the BBFC have any influence in games being released in mainland Europe?

Alts

Teddman said:

But in one case there is an easy method for obtaining the proper version, and in another case, there isn't.

Jokeropia said:
I'd like to know that as well. I mean, why would the BBFC have any influence in games being released in mainland Europe?

Because game companies are "lazy" and would rather just deal with three territories. Europe, Asia and North america. You never see Canadian versions for games that would've been cut in America, in Asia only Japan really matters (all others markets are so piracy ridden they don't see the point) and I guess since UK is the biggest games market in europe they see that as the benchmark as far as censorship goes. I thought here in the UK was pretty liberal compared to the US but I guess we still have a ways to go :/ Sorry europe if it really was our fault.

It's good thing I have a job and am a huge consumer whore, then. I suppose I should put in an order for a US Wii now in order for it to arrive in time for Christmas 2008?

MidiSurf

Banned
Meh, If it's get censored then I won't buy Euro version and because there is no freeloader for Wii I won't buy the USA version either.

And I think every one should boycott the euro version. Censoring games/movies/books is just wrong. Don't support censoring.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Don't think of it as being shafted, thing of the blood as a US exclusive.

dock

Oh, I don't mind this at all. In fact, I kinda like the black-pixel-ash effect, it's cool!
I seem to recall EDGE magazine saying that they were sad that the pixel ash wasn't coming to Europe - maybe they're to blame! Haha.

I thought you meant something that actually mattered, such as the game being delayed horribly or canned completely.

That said, it's a shame we live in 'lawsuit' times that mean that it would be impossible to include a 'blood code' to unlock the different look.

Xater

sp0rsk said:

Yeah um no. There is no reason t censor the game for whole Europe I guess there is no real reason to censor it at all. No money from me when they pull shit like this.

trinest

Xater said:
Yeah um no. There is no reason t censor the game for whole Europe I guess there is no real reason to censor it at all. No money from me when they pull shit like this.

The thing is the game was never built to have blood. It was replaced ages ago in development. Basicly even if someone does end up with it. It wasn't 'censored'.

Tristam

Xater said:

Who's "they"? I'm sure if Rising Star Games could publish the game in all its bloody glory, they would; the BBFC is more than likely to blame.

It's really a conflict of interest here. In boycotting a censored game you're also boycotting a game that's undoubtedly a blast -- even sans blood -- to play.

MidiSurf

Banned
trinest said:
The thing is the game was never built to have blood. It was replaced ages ago in development. Basicly even if someone does end up with it. It wasn't 'censored'.

WTF ?! Suda said that he wan't No More Heroes to be one of the violent games out there. The over rated blood effect was part of the games style and now we are censoring it. Rising Star won't get my money either.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I can see why they've done it. They want to release the game in Germany and being small they can't release 2 SKU's or risk not being able to sell in Germany.

The biggest problem of all though isn't the censorship, but the fact that a tiny little company like Rising Star is the only company with the balls to publish such a unique title.

Why the hell aren't Nintendo stepping up to the plate?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
If the blood is being added to the US version, then is the European version truly censored?

Rising Star Games is a rather small publisher known for localizing japanese games for Europe. The most likely reason Europe is getting the "censored" version is because that is what Japan got. Given the size of the company it is probably wiser to NOT try to match the US version and risk delays and legal fees.

Personally, if given the choice, I'd take the black version. I don't expect others to agree, but it is also not a big deal.

Top Bottom