• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europeans shafted yet again (No More Heroes)

maladroid

I'm just happy somebody's publishing No More Heroes for PAL. Good on you Rising Star!

Also, I'm a bit creeped out by the majority of users' thirst for blood in this thread, and saddened that those people will not buy this game due to a minor aesthetic change, rather than support a genuine third-party effort on the Wii.

That's stupid. They could release the game censored for UK and Germany, and uncensored for the rest of Europe.

And no matter what you guys say, it does influence the games style a lot. Over the top violence was one of the pros for NMH, the impact of decapitation was one of the things that sold me on the game. Who wants to see body changing innto ashes instead of bloodbath and his head bumping on the ground?

I'm importing, and I will have to mdchip my new Wii :/.

Dascu

shiwasu said:
I'm just happy somebody's publishing No More Heroes for PAL. Good on you Rising Star!

Also, I'm a bit creeped out by the majority of users' thirst for blood in this thread, and saddened that those people will not buy this game due to a minor aesthetic change, rather than support a genuine third-party effort on the Wii.

Hmmm... I consider it to be a fairly large aesthetic change. I was really fond of the blood effect. They can change the colour of it for all I care, but it looks empty without it, IMO. Though, watching all this Japanese footage lately, I've started to like the black ash effect as well. Still, it's sad they're not giving us an option to choose between the two effects.

And have no fear, it's still DAY ONE for me.

Baryn

Banned
Europeans, with all due respect (and maybe I'm misunderstanding something), but you've been complaining. for. YEARS. Why do you still buy region-locked European consoles?

[edit] As an aside, shame on you who are shrugging off what is effectively censorship and bigotry towards gaming, no matter how minor. I know you have to live with it, but at least get pissed off about it.

Danj

Baryn said:
Europeans, with all due respect (and maybe I'm misunderstanding something), but you've been complaining. for. YEARS. Why do you still buy region-locked European consoles?

Because we like having 1 year warranty instead of none?

Baryn said:

Hope. Personally, every new console gen i hope that things will change, but in the end is even worse than before.

Because we like having 2 year warranty instead of none?
Fixed

Dascu

Baryn said:

Hassle with Wii online was a big factor, plus my collection of PAL Gamecube games.

Xapati

Baryn said:

Because we shouldn't have too. Having to import everything is a pain and it isn't cheap. Why can't all console manufactorers make region free consoles? Sony got it right, MS got it partially right, but Nintendo? They even bricked free loader with an update :| .

Ramenman

Visualante said:
It might be the case that there is no point submitting a blood buried version to the BBFC if they're going to view 15 minutes footage and reject it. Especially considering Suda's quotes.

I understand that. But isn't BBFC only for UK? Manhunt 2 was released in other PAL territories right?

Danj

The_Ayertosco said:
Because we like having 2 year warranty instead of none?
Fixed

I keep forgetting about this, probably because I don't remember hearing about when it happened. According to Google this has been supposed to be implemented in all member states by 2002, so I guess we do have a 2 year warranty after all.

Danj

Ramenman said:
I understand that. But isn't BBFC only for UK?

Yes, but isn't the UK one of the PAL region's largest gaming markets? All the other markets in Europe require extra localization since they speak different languages. Plus they'd have to take the blood out for the German market anyway, so I guess they just figured it's easier to have the censored version here.

Baryn

Banned
Xapati said:
Because we shouldn't have too. Having to import everything is a pain and it isn't cheap. Why can't all console manufactorers make region free consoles? Sony got it right, MS got it partially right, but Nintendo? They even bricked free loader with an update :| .
I agree, and how is this message being sent to first parties? The purpose of region-locking is to make more money, not importin mostly on principle is at the same time validating that business practice.

Xater

Danj said:
Yes, but isn't the UK one of the PAL region's largest gaming markets? All the other markets in Europe require extra localization since they speak different languages. Plus they'd have to take the blood out for the German market anyway, so I guess they just figured it's easier to have the censored version here.

Not everything is censored in germany they could at least try. Before just censoring it. MS does it this way. They give the uncensored copy to the USK and if they refuse to give a ratign they just don't release the game in Germany. It's so easy to import those games from the countries around you anyway. I don't know about the UK system though, would it be illegal for you guys to import it?

Ramenman

Baryn said:

To answer (once again) this question : I got no warranty when if I import a console. There's no way I'm risking to throw 200+ euros out of the window to get games cheaper and faster.

However every game I've bought on DS has been US version, except for christmas presents.

Danj

Xater said:
Not everything is censored in germany

But blood is, right? And that's what the issue here is. So if they know blood is banned in games in Germany, why would they even try getting an uncensored version rated there? I don't know how it works there, but over here, the BBFC charges money for rating stuff, and if the result is that your title is rejected unless you censor it, you are out of pocket because you have to pay again for the censored version to be rated.

Xater said:
I don't know about the UK system though, would it be illegal for you guys to import it?

No, but it would be illegal to sell it within the UK.

Xater

Danj said:
But blood is, right?

NO!

It all depends on the game. Just one example, Far Cry PC was ust censored so that you could no lnger use the rag doll stuff on dead people. Everything else was intact. The rating system here is very game specific it's not like every game has their blood censored.

Another nice example is God of War 2 which is completely uncensored even in Germany.

maladroid

Dascu said:
Hmmm... I consider it to be a fairly large aesthetic change. I was really fond of the blood effect. They can change the colour of it for all I care, but it looks empty without it, IMO. Though, watching all this Japanese footage lately, I've started to like the black ash effect as well. Still, it's sad they're not giving us an option to choose between the two effects.

And have no fear, it's still DAY ONE for me.

Ah, I guess I should have added 'in my opinion' to the end of that. The lack of blood not being an issue for me is mainly due to the order I received information on NMH. I first read about it in EDGE and fell in love with the concept art. It was only later that I heard about Goichi Suda saying it was going to be more violent than Manhunt. Add to this that the majority of footage I've seen was from this year's TGS (and becoming quite endeared by the black pixel explosions), I hope you can see why I thought the lack of blood was only a minor aesthetic change.

itxaka

Defeatist
Baryn said:
We cannot do anything else. Easy solution, modchip and hope that the games are pseudo-region free. Or get an US console....when there is stock...so in 2010 :p

MidiSurf

Banned

Maybe some people just don't want to support cenoring in games ? If thre is movie, book or game out there that has been censored I won't buy it... And it seems that games are only things now days to get censored.

This time I won't be supporting Suda but maybe he's next game then.

Roi

Wtf?! Thank you Germany and England |:(

7fe29b9e03e1b9e493d9a6c0b5b3b979.gif

Burli

Pringo
Is it wrong that I would consider importing an american wii (when they're available) just for copious amounts of blood?

Because i'm thinkin'

Danj said:
But blood is, right? And that's what the issue here is. So if they know blood is banned in games in Germany, why would they even try getting an uncensored version rated there? I don't know how it works there, but over here, the BBFC charges money for rating stuff, and if the result is that your title is rejected unless you censor it, you are out of pocket because you have to pay again for the censored version to be rated.
No, Blood isn't banned in Germany and there is no banned/not banned checklist either. Everything that might or might not be disliked by the USK (our rating board) depends on the context things happen in the game, the motivation for the gamer and other varying factors. Of course it's unlikely for an utterly violent game to get a 16+/18+ rating (if any), but thats not just a matter of blood.

Koshiro

You're all sounding like a bunch of teenage goths to be honest. No blood? No emo???? No sale.

The black ash looks a lot more stylish, and the blood effects never looked that great to me. Some people in this thread need to grow up.

Xater

If any american posted that he doesn't care then how about the trade our consoles plus this game? I wonder why no one will do that. :D

This is, as it were, the straw that broke the camels back, the camel being me and the straw being yet another reason to not own Nintendo EU hardware. Yes, it's a minor aesthetic change - but it's still a change, and for no good reason. So, we have to wait 6+ months for games the rest of the world are already playing, we pay more for hardware, software and accesories and our games are likely to be censored by their own creators in fear of being banned by the BBFC - and if we decide that maybe, just maybe it might be a better idea to import, customs are waiting gleefully in anticipation of the £60+ fine they can spring if they catch our imported consoles coming into the country. Just peachey. Screw this guys, i'm moving to Canada.

Talk about jumping to conclusions. Germany's standards are not to blame for this.

The game is so violent even with ash I doubt it will get released in Germany. This is to bring the standards in line with what the whole of Europe and Japan expect. God of War was cut also.
We haven't made a decision based on certification. We have decided to publish the same version as our parent company in Japan.

It remains absolutely fantastic to play.

Martin Defries
Rising Star Games
www.risingstargames.com

Seriously, this is beyond stupid. This isn't the BBFC's fault it's the idiot publishers for blowing the Manhunt 2 issues out of proportion. From what I remember Manhunt 2 got banned due to the gritty, sadistic nature of the violence, no game's ever been banned due to OTT anime blood effects. If the BBFC had issues with the gore in NMH's then they could of pointed to a number of games with equally silly blood effects (I'm looking at you Mortal Kombat, feck, Killer 7 had enemies exploding into blood did it not?) and still saw the light of day. In short, I don't know if I'd buy the game if I had a Wii because the publishers don't deserve the rights to it when they're being such chickens that they're limiting the directors artistic decision.

Personally I was going to buy a Wii for this, I'll probably just import one now when I can actually get one.

Danj

Spirit of Jazz said:
If the BBFC had issues with the gore in NMH's then they could of pointed to a number of games with equally silly blood effects (I'm looking at you Mortal Kombat, feck, Killer 7 had enemies exploding into blood did it not?) and still saw the light of day.

The BBFC is not a democracy; even if you say to them "but look, this other game got this rating" they aren't obliged to consider that and change their decision accordingly. There is an appeals process, but it is costly and time consuming.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
What about voice acting? Is it the same in both US and JPN versions?
If not, I wonder which one the PAL SKU will be getting.

kizmah

Just sent an email to Rising Star expressing my dissapointment. But I am, without a doubt, still bying the game. More importantly I asked if some European countries could still get the uncut version, Scandinavia more specifically.

Danj said:
The BBFC is not a democracy; even if you say to them "but look, this other game got this rating" they aren't obliged to consider that and change their decision accordingly. There is an appeals process, but it is costly and time consuming.

You're missing one of my points, it's not so much that the BBFC can be reasoned with. It's the fact that they've never banned a game for cartoon blood effects. If this title came out 5 years down the line nobody would bring up this point, much like nobody blamed Carmagedon for the lack of decapitations in NG (they blamed Germany) because there's no link between the decision and the BBFC.

Dascu

Jocchan said:
What about voice acting? Is it the same in both US and JPN versions?
If not, I wonder which one the PAL SKU will be getting.
Voice-acting is the same for all versions.

kamikaze

sp0rsk said:
If you don't buy this game because of this, hand in your gamer membership card. You don't deserve it!

QFT.

:lol at anyone who will refuse to play the game because it doesn't have the blood. guess graphics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> awesome gameplay to you boycotters.

might as well add "japanese wii owners get shafted" to the thread title, too.

Dascu

kamikaze said:
QFT.

:lol at anyone who will refuse to play the game because it doesn't have the blood. guess graphics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> awesome gameplay to you boycotters.

It's a stylistic element that adds to the gameplay, IMO. I'll put it this way: imagine if the enemies just disappeared without any visual effect at all. Wouldn't you be kind of annoyed by that?

MidiSurf

Banned
kamikaze said:
QFT.

Japanese are used to get censored games :D. Nah, just kidding... Or Am I ?!.

But anyway I repeat myself and say no to censored games. It is one step closer to more censoring. Let's all unite and boycott the euro version untill we get what we want.

kamikaze said:
QFT.

I guess censorship >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> directors vison to all you sheep that will buy without principle :lol

Seriously, it's a two-sided coin and you're being pretty ignorant if you're not taking that into account. I totally agree that you should buy games to support good games on the Wii, at the same time with buying this game you'll also be supporting censorship which some people won't want to do. It's the persons choice to make, and neither is any more or less valid than the other, also importing offers a work around.

Goddamn, that really hasn't anything to do with some of us being bloodthristy or something. For most sane people censorship is just not acceptable, no matter if it really affects the experience.

kamikaze

Spirit of Jazz said:
I guess censorship >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> directors vison to all you sheep that will buy without principle :lol

so i guess all the japanese gamers playing their version without blood are sheep without principles, eh? baaaaah baaaaah (translation: do what you wish, i'm going back to play japanese version of the game)

Suda was playfully 1UP'ing his idols: Rockstar, by adding all that blood to make it more violent. He probably gave the okay to the ash effects personally.

kamikaze said:
so i guess all the japanese gamers playing their version without blood are sheep without principles, eh? baaaaah baaaaah (translation: do what you wish, i'm going back to play japanese version of the game)

Well done for mistaking my parody of your idiotic comment as a sincere remark... Even when my very next paragraph begins with "Seriously" bravo!

Visualante said:
Suda was playfully 1UP'ing his idols: Rockstar, by adding all that blood to make it more violent. He probably gave the okay to the ash effects personally.

I'm pretty sure if you look at the influence of his style, mainly mature manga and extreme Japanese cinema along the lines of Takeshi Miike's work you'll always see lashing of over the top blood. Please stop trying to make excuses when they aren't there for the sake of your argument.

MidiSurf

Banned
kamikaze said:

Well maybe it is cultural thing. I don't know how much games are censored in Japan but I live in Finland and I'm pretty used to fact that we rarely got censored games. And cases like this I are violation against freedom of speech and I won't support it.

Dascu

Visualante said:

The Curse of Manhunt 2 will never end. It has affected this game in two ways.

One, everyone keeps thinking Suda was serious when he said that NMH will be more violent than Manhunt 2. It was a way to get publicity. Nothing more, nothing less. There wasn't even any footage of Manhunt 2 at that time. He just said it to get people excited.

Second, all the Manhunt 2 controversy with the BBFC is why Rising Star Games is censoring NMH right now. It's a stupid decision fueled by fear that an uncensored version would get them into a bunch of trouble with rating organizations.

I personally find it quite annoying NMH is getting censored when Killer7 had similar blood effects.

Top Bottom