• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everbodys Gone to the Rapture launching August 11

Kas

Fuck. Yes.

I've been waiting for this game for god knows how long. So stoked to see its coming out relatively soon too.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Rime release date next, come on!!!!!

18676872652_3ef686bf53tsyr.jpg

Looks like concept art.

PaulloDEC

I'm definitely up for this. I've always liked The Chinese Room's stuff, and this looks just as pretty and mysterious as I'd expect. Lovely music too.

Really excited for this one. Dear Esther was a great experience and I have no doubt this will be too. Probably not a game for everyone, but there's definitely an audience for these kinds of games.

Well that trailer did nothing for me but after watching the gameplay video it looks pretty interesting as long as you're doing more than walking and looking for those events. Even then I'll probably buy it because I enjoy things like that but hopefully there's some other things to do/find.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Excited. But I hope the story is not some Left Behind nonsense.

Really excited for this one. Dear Esther was a great experience and I have no doubt this will be too. Probably not a game for everyone, but there's definitely an audience for these kinds of games.

I think the experience might be the issue for me. Dear Esther was a group thing for me and my friends, we all came round, set up the PC in the living room, and tried to figure out what everything meant. With all those dudes off to college and me being a no-life I have this sinking feeling EGTTR might mean less to me. And that suck's 'yo.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Uhh... am I missing something?

You guys are interested in this "religious fiction" type of story? That trailer showed absolutely nothing.

MrHoot

Uhh... am I missing something?

You guys are interested in this "religious fiction" type of story? That trailer showed absolutely nothing.

This. I've seen a few trailer but really don't know what it's about, what you actually do or what's interesting about it other than vague hints we're given. Basically know there's a few characters and "a story during the apocalypse" but we're given the equivalent of just CGI trailers

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I doubt it's one of those evangelical nonsense things, it's just an interesting premise.

It sounds like it is though! Are you familiar with the Left Behind book series?

I'm just warning you, don't be surprised if this thing turns out being about the Christian Rapture. Most likely they don't overtly use Christianity in this game and they just make up their own religion for the game... but they're trying to drive home a point on some stance about religion.

l

camac002

Nice. I thought The Witness would be out before this but I guess not. Looking forward to reviews, as it's hard to get a feel for this game without them showing much and spoiling (understandable)

I'm just warning you, don't be surprised if this thing turns out being about the Christian Rapture. Most likely they don't overtly use Christianity in this game and they just make up their own religion for the game... but they're trying to drive home a point on some stance about religion.

l

I don't mind it being about the Christian rapture so long as it's not evangelical/doesn't actually believe to be true lol.

God of War is about greek mythology and it doesn't bother me, I'm ok with Christian mythology too.

I get your fear I just can't imagine it will actually be a Left Behind type of thing, but who knows. The developers are British, the whole rapture thing is very much an American style evangelical thing, it's basically non-existent here. In fact Tony Blair famously said that "you talk about religion in Britain and, frankly, people do think you're a nutter" and I don't get the impression TCR are nutters.

Hoje0308

Banned
Okay. Im just genuinely curios. Is it like a mystery game? Do you solve puzzles? I can't hear the audio in trailer

The developers released a gameplay video that's on YouTube. I'm not sure as to the full extent of the game mechanics, because it seems like it's going to be on the short side and I don't want to be spoiled. From what I've seen your basic aim is to piece together the story via found audio sequences.

Tapejara

That shot in the OP is stunning.

l

I'm pretty sure the Rapture is just used as a framing device.

Con_Smith

Banned
Can't wait! Love the diversity of Sony this year even with people complaining about the potential end of year output. Games are games no matter what you classify them as although I can already see the drive by posts claiming this as nothing more than a walking sim.

Not sure why people are so hyped, is it just cause of the pretty?

Well, for me, it's because the premise sounds extremely interesting. Sounds like you're just going to be dropped into the open-world left to figure what's happening yourself. The kind of game I'll wanna play at night with my headphones on and get completely lose myself in.

And here is the premise for people who keep saying "what is it about?":

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture™ tells the story of the inhabitants of a remote English valley who are caught up in world-shattering events beyond their control or understanding. Made by The Chinese Room – the studio responsible for the hauntingly beautiful Dear Esther – this tale of how people respond in the face of grave adversity is a non-linear, open-world experience that pushes innovative interactive storytelling to the next level.Over the course of the game, the player slowly pieces together the fate of the valley from the fragmentary memories of the people who made it their home. By finding and interacting with the traces of these lost lives, the player gradually learns about the stories and relationships of the inhabitants – how they lived, and how they died. All this is accomplished through revolutionary environmental storytelling – what you see and hear in Rapture is just as important as what you do.

Those environments remind me of parts of the Lake District in the summer. And that's one of my favourite locations on Earth, so that right there is a huge draw for me.

What point do you think they were they trying to drive home with Dear Esther?

dr_rus

Sony is really nuking the "preseason", eh?
I already have three games for PS4 for this summer in my wishlist.
That's out of five games for this summer there in total.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was wondering when they would release more information. It's been a long time. It's one of the very few Myst-types or exploration games that I'm interested in. It looks good, but I hope the actual point to the game is a little more than "oh there's a bush here".

eg: -You just walked into a house (3 out of 5 quests completed, 3 Trophies unlocked, progression completed: 80%)

kiyoaki

This looks like something I really want to play. I love underused settings with realistic graphics. By the time I have a PS4, it'll probably already be on Plus.

Day one for me, as long as its better than Dear Esther. I've been highly addicted to so called Walking Simulators over the past two months and have played and finished about 7 of them, loving them all. Apart from Dear Esther. That was not a good game.

This looks incredible...some of the graphics and art styles from recent games are starting to blow me away.

Will buy for the exploration, the area is inspired by Shropshire apparently but reminds me of an area near where I live in Yorkshire.

To those of you who are still undecided on this game and / or wondering what you do in it, have you played 'Gone Home' or 'Dear Esther? This game is a similar type of experience. Story and mood takes precedent over actual game play mechanics. I for one am looking forward to this because I loved both of the mentioned games.
Sadly, I can easily see people going into this with the wrong impression (about the type of game it) and coming away disappointed.

Top Bottom