• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everbodys Gone to the Rapture launching August 11

Handy Fake

Are people complaining that this is religious propaganda..?

9C3l2sU.gif

Melchiah

Not sure why people are so hyped, is it just cause of the pretty?

Because it looks and sounds interesting, and it's said to be a spiritual successor to Dear Esther.

13 minutes of gameplay:
https://youtu.be/aU4WT2LqpMA

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/18/just-what-is-everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-anyway
But why is the end of the world taking place in a sleepy rural community? Jessica Curry – the composer of Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture and the studio head of its developer, The Chinese Room – tells me it all leads back to a conversation she had with Dan Pinchbeck, the game’s creative director, years and years ago.

“Dan said the most amazing thing to me at the beginning,” she tells me. “He loves games and he’s passionate about post-apocalyptic games, and he said, ‘If we went through this in real life, there’s no way I’d be the square-jawed hero running through saving everybody. I’d be a pile of ash and bone on the floor. Dead.’

“He said, ‘That’s the game I want to make.’ I thought that sounded really, really good. It turns it around completely. There’s no hero in this game that’s going to save everybody. We really wanted to make it feel real and tragic and beautiful and frightening.”

“In Metro: Last Light, there’s a wonderful scene where a father and his little girl are fishing in radioactive water,” Pinchbeck tells me. “She turns to him and says, ‘Will we catch fish, dad?’ And he says, ‘Well, we might do.’ She says, ‘Will we catch cancer, because mummy caught cancer in the water?’ He has to explain to her what the difference is, and it’s so heartbreaking because it’s a little moment of actual human contact. You turn away and go shoot like a million mutants and that’s kind of fun, but that moment really stopped me in Metro. I thought that’s beautiful, brilliant game writing, because it understands that the people who are playing this are human beings and they have a frame of reference that is human and emotional, and that’s about their relationship with other people.

“And if we’re going to make a game about the apocalypse, let’s make a game about people in the apocalypse, not about the concept of the apocalypse or the big bang of the apocalypse. Let’s make a game saying, ‘When it comes down to it what’s important?’ And this is about people and their relationship with each other. That’s where we should focus.”

“There are lots of designers out there who do lots of really clever and brilliant stuff with systems and mechanics, but what we’re interested in is what emotional experience the player is having and starting much more from a story-, atmosphere- and immersion-driven angle.

“All of the scripts which I’ve written have been very rooted in story. And for that often I’ll go out to literature around that because we’re pushing depth into the story, and emotional depth in story is one thing we still don’t do particularly well as an industry. You can’t easily name the game stories that inspire you. Well, I could write it on the back of a Post-it note. But there aren’t that many out there that are really doing it. We want to go back and produce games that are narratively deep, rich and as interesting as books.”

derExperte

That´s probably because the image is downsampled from 8k+

There is absolutely no Aliasing visible.

Will not look that clean on your TV :)

The gameplay video from a short while ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_MSeTa2_7E) had that in spades and also other problems like bad pop-ins and no AF. Either they're doing lots of polishing until release or those shots are overly flattering. Also there better be a way to walk a bit faster. Still, the release date will probably lead to a day 1 purchase if reviews aren't terrible, little else to buy around that time.

At this point, I'm gonna need to go on a spoiler blackout for this game. The environments look too damn intriguing, and I wanna be able to explore this world as fresh as possible. @_@

Rizific

i watched the gameplay vid but all i saw was slow walking, slow panning of the camera, more walking, but no gameplay.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The soundtrack is so damn beautiful. I can't believe it's coming this fast. I'm so excited to play this!

Melchiah

i watched the gameplay vid but all i saw was slow walking, slow panning of the camera, more walking, but no gameplay.

It's gameplay, just different from some others, like, say, moving from left to right and jumping few times inbetween.

This will be a Day 1 purchase for me.

I freaking love these "walking simulators", at least the good ones.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Gone Home are both incredible games

So what's this game about. What's the gameplay like

So what's the gameplay like? I've only seen walking.

Based on their previous games I wouldn't be surprised if that's it.

Looks like it's just about exploration and trying to unravel what happened through hearing spirits/memories and probably finding notes and audio logs. Think Gone Home, but set in a whole village instead of one house.

Cool, hope they capture the English Countryside well.

From the videos I've seen I'd say they've already completely nailed that aspect.

this is incredible, even for an indie studio

It really does look amazing. They've obviously got a very talented art team.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The gameplay video they released not too long ago bored me to tears, so I'm gonna wait until some friends get it so I can see if they recommend it. Those screenshots are like Derek Zoolander though. O___O

Top Bottom