• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everbodys Gone to the Rapture launching August 11

The gameplay video they released not too long ago bored me to tears, so I'm gonna wait until some friends get it so I can see if they recommend it. Those screenshots are like Derek Zoolander though. O___O

This game is not about gameplay and its story driven adventure game with puzzles to figure out what happened by exploring and solving. Its relaxing and unique experience like you are reading an interesting book/watching a movie to find out.

To those of you who are still undecided on this game and / or wondering what you do in it, have you played 'Gone Home' or 'Dear Esther? This game is a similar type of experience. Story and mood takes precedent over actual game play mechanics. I for one am looking forward to this because I loved both of the mentioned games.
Sadly, I can easily see people going into this with the wrong impression (about the type of game it) and coming away disappointed.

I absolutely loved Gone Home but Dear Esther felt a little slight. Hopefully Rapture is more GH than DE...

18681630915_6f32338b3ehs8n.jpg

What exactly is this setting/house design? Old English village?

Because I love it, and would love to live in.

reminder

It was already on my list of interesting games, but after The Vanishing of Ethan Carter i'm even more interested in this game. Will buy it on day 1.

What exactly is this setting/house design? Old English village?

Because I love it, and would love to live in.

According to Wiki it says the game is set in a village in Shropshire, which is in the West Midlands, and is around 50 miles away from where I live (Birmingham).

Northern England eh? Is this in modern time setting? I would love to visit areas like this irl.

Well the house in that screenshot has some kind of antenna on the roof, so the time period must be pretty modern. It's not uncommon to find villages that look exactly like that all over England.

I love the setting and concept but all the memory echo effects just clash with everything else aesthetically. Seems silly but I really don't want to to stare at those for hours while listening to dialogue.

I'll wait for reviews and if it's incredible i'll play it anyways.

Looks pretty and interesting. I'll probably play it when I get a PS4.... sometime in the future... and after what reviews tell me about it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
is there preload for this? I preordered it a few days ago, but havent gotten around to turning on my ps4 in that time
I believe all the other PLAY 2015 titles had preload and they went up mid-Sunday, but I don't see any specific, 100% confirmation of that.

pswii60

Looking forward to this, mainly due to the setting. Looks just like where I live in rural Cheshire, strange to finally have a game that looks like that and makes a nice change from the same old typical bland settings.

Love how some people in this thread think this is fantasy land or something... no it's just rural UK villages!

Would love to see more games set in the UK countryside, maybe Snowdonia, Scottish highlands, Lake District or Peak District!

Bowl0l

I believe all the other PLAY 2015 titles had preload and they went up mid-Sunday, but I don't see any specific, 100% confirmation of that.
How the preload works? I just leave it in rest mode and then it downloads?

wouwie

Not sure why but i've gone on a media blackout for this game pretty much just after it was announced. I never played the previous games from the developer either. I love adventure games and visually it looked very nice/interesting from the first media that was released so i felt it would be nice to go in blind. I never saw any gameplay footage either.

So... Can someone briefly explain what sort of game this is. I always assumed it is a slow paced first person adventure about exploration and discovery, with a strong focus on story and setting. Is this about right? Are there any dark/horror themes in it or is more about supernatural themes?

I really don't know if I should spend $16 now and take a chance on it sucking, or wait for reviews and have to spend $20 if it's good.

I also don't want to spoil anything for myself so hopefully somebody can tell me with a yes/no answer. Is there anything to this game other than walking and finding those memories or whatever they are? I mean do you look for anything else at all? Are there any puzzles of any kind?

Also, anybody have any idea the length of the game?

Atolm

Eh, after playing Ethan Carter recently I think I'll wait for a sale. Those games are good, but they're expensive for what they offer imo. They tend to be very short and with zero replay value. Those 20€ for Ethan Carter did really hurt.

I preordered this.

Thinking it over, the risk seemed pretty minimal. I don't care about length. I just want a beautiful, engaging experience. If the graphics are as good as those shots appear to be, I'll enjoy it just based on that alone.

Dear Esther is one of my favorite games I have on Steam, so I'm looking forward to this.

liquidtmd

Banned
Really going to need reviews on this before biting, Ethan Carter scratched my itch on what I perceive this to be so far

IvanJ

Banned
Played Ethan Carter a few days ago just to get prepared for Rapture. Loved it, I really enjoyed a nice narrative exploration at my own pace.

I've got my Tuesday morning set aside for this game, with an added bonus of English countryside to take my mind off this blistering heat.

Games like these and Journey that I recently played are really getting me excited for more of this peaceful gaming (Rime, Witness, No Man's Sky) to balance action oriented games that I also enjoy.

WoolyNinja

I can't figure out why I love these type of games, but so far every one I've played I've enjoyed. Looking forward to Tuesday.

I can't figure out why I love these type of games, but so far every one I've played I've enjoyed. Looking forward to Tuesday.

Played Ethan Carter a few days ago just to get prepared for Rapture. Loved it, I really enjoyed a nice narrative exploration at my own pace.

I've got my Tuesday morning set aside for this game, with an added bonus of English countryside to take my mind off this blistering heat.

Games like these and Journey that I recently played are really getting me excited for more of this peaceful gaming (Rime, Witness, No Man's Sky) to balance action oriented games that I also enjoy.

Yep I like them because they're relaxing to me. Sometimes I want to play something like Rocket League or Bloodborne or Destiny (for example) where there's a lot of action and such, but I find myself loving these types of games when I just want to chill and relax. Games like Ethan Carter, Life Is Strange, Journey. It helps that they're generally pretty beautiful games in one way or another as well.

GeoramA

Yeah I really liked Ethan Carter. Definitely left me wanting more.

Rapture looks like an even bigger world to explore. Can't wait to play it Tuesday.

Top Bottom