• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture announced (officially) for Steam.

Lister

Banned
No, not gonna happen. They are doing this with Helldivers and EGTTR to support the indie dev. This won't happen with 1st Party AAA games.

Not gonna happen.

PSNow already IS on non-Sony devices.

Such a debby downer. Yeah, it probably won't happen, but it would be nice, there's more money to be made on PC, and I think it's pretty clear that while PC is very atractive to a large demogrpahic of gamers (hundreds of millions actually), it's probably never going to attract the very mainstrema console audience - at least not for these types of games - ehh with these types I mean stuff like Uncharted - obviously indie games thrive on PC.

Momentary

Banned
Man, next thing you know Bloodborne will be on PC. That would be another 1.5-2 million copies sold for From Soft/Sony. It's not even a matter of IF anymore. Just when.

LewieP

This seems like a good move for all parties.

Regarding Bloodborne, I could see it happening, but I'd not be surprised if Sony signed a ~5 year exclusivity window on that. It's still a big plus on the list of reasons to buy a PS4, whereas I imagine PS4 hardware sales won't be significantly impacted by this announcement.

No doubt From would be very keen on the extra sales a PC release would earn them, there's a strong proven market for those games on PC.

wouwie

One of my favourite games ever (played it twice). I occasionaly load it up and play the start of the game just to experience the beauty, the atmosphere, the amazing soundtrack and voice acting. Also, the game should look gorgeous on pc (it already did on PS4).

dr_rus

Regret buying it on my PS4, one of the most boring games I ever played.

It's a walking sim from the creators of Dear Esther. This should've said all you needed to know to you prior to the game was even announced. I personally think it's a great little game even if it's not as good as Dear Esther in experimenting with the narrative.

I also don't get the fast walking mod posts - do you really want to walk faster than with the RT held right now? Maybe they should patch in car driving instead to make it at least realistic then.

joms5

This is fantastic news. I found it strange that it was exclusive to PS4 given their legacy of PC support.

Can't wait to pick this up day 1 and see if it's as bad as people said. I would like a faster walk option considering there was such a huge outcry about the speed. Maybe even make it a toggle in the options.

Good move, they've got a great presence in the PC indie scene. Not surprising. Should release later on Android/iOS too.

I find it unlikely their big games like Uncharted 4 or God of War will ever shift to PC, but I can see it becoming a regular thing with their smaller titles and digital releases.

True and makes sense for SONY and the developers. While it's absolute certainty that the big first party AAA exclusives like Bloodborne (the very idea of which was born from SCE Japan Studio who developed a vertical slice and when presented to SONY, Yoshida and the team at SCE JPN requested Miyazaki & From Software's help & expertise guiding them in co-developing it with SCE JPN), The Last Guardian, Uncharted, Horizon etc will never ever leave the PlayStation consoles, their mobile division just got a reshuffle recently IIRC. This business model, of signing up indie devs with small scale vision/budget + owning the IP to later release them PC (android/iOS sometime later when a significant portion of the mobile userbase have adequate hardware to run these titles), is gonna continue for them going forward.

This model excludes their in-house small titles too, titles which are associated with the PlayStation branding. Take Journey or Resogun for example, they'd never leave the platform as well.

J-Skee

"The whole initiative seems geared around third-party studios."

That's an interesting quote. So first Helldivers comes to PC, which was developed by Arrowhead & published by Sony, now Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is coming to PC, which was developed by the Chinese Room & published by Sony. So if 2nd parties want their games on PC, Sony will allow it?

EDIT: And what exactly did Sony Santa Monica do if they didn't help with development? You only need the publisher, not the development studio, if you need funds.

Man, next thing you know Bloodborne will be on PC. That would be another 1.5-2 million copies sold for From Soft/Sony. It's not even a matter of IF anymore. Just when.

Ha ha, no. You're not going to see Sony's major big-budget Triple-A releases on PC any time soon, and you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think otherwise.

mejin

I'm disappointed cause EGGTR seems to be a one time partnership only. And Chinese Room already announced a new game for PC and no PS4 version?!

Corpekata

Banned
Worst kept secret indeed.

I wish I had waited for this version. Probably not getting on launch, but will eventually.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm disappointed cause EGGTR seems to be a one time partnership only. And Chinese Room already announced a new game for PC and no PS4 version?!

Well, it's an isometric RPG, so that shouldn't be overly surprising. There aren't exactly many such games on consoles.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if they knew there will be a PC release but just weren't allowed to say so

Pinchbeck's comment strongly suggests it was ultimately Sony's call, which makes sense given it owns the IP, plus the game was uploaded to Steam only six months ago (i.e. a little less than three months after the PS4 version released).

Floody

"The whole initiative seems geared around third-party studios."

That's an interesting quote. So first Helldivers comes to PC, which was developed by Arrowhead & published by Sony, now Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is coming to PC, which was developed by the Chinese Room & published by Sony. So if 2nd parties want their games on PC, Sony will allow it?

EDIT: And what exactly did Sony Santa Monica do if they didn't help with development? You only need the publisher, not the development studio, if you need funds.

It'll probably be case by case basis, and exclusively for their smaller games (so not stuff like Bloodborne or Until Dawn), is my guess.

Momentary

Banned
Can't wait for the salt when Sony funded third party AAA games are on Steam. Which I don't think people consider FromSoft as a AAA developer. So even better l.

joms5

Ha ha, no. You're not going to see Sony's major big-budget Triple-A releases on PC any time soon, and you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you think otherwise.

I think the difference is that Sony owns the Bloodborne IP no?

Whereas they just helped out with Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

def sim

Good to hear. I'm willing to give this another look, the poor performance on PS4 hurt it more than it should for me.

From press release.
https://facebook.com/thechineseroombrighton/posts/1147943628556281

We are currently working on Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, an openworld, post-apocalyptic adventure to be released on Playstation 4. We’re making this with Sony Santa Monica, and recently showed at E3, where the game was nominated for Best in Show by IGN and Gamespot.

J-Skee

So what's this about?

PC Gamer: As Sony Santa Monica is a credited developer on the game along with The Chinese Room, did that create any logistical headaches in bringing the game to PC?

Dan Pinchbeck: The development of the game was all us, with the normal kind of publisher support, so there was no issue with any direct development input from Sony. That definitely kept things simpler. The whole initiative seems geared around third-party studios.

This seems like a good move for all parties.

Regarding Bloodborne, I could see it happening, but I'd not be surprised if Sony signed a ~5 year exclusivity window on that. It's still a big plus on the list of reasons to buy a PS4, whereas I imagine PS4 hardware sales won't be significantly impacted by this announcement.

No doubt From would be very keen on the extra sales a PC release would earn them, there's a strong proven market for those games on PC.

I can't believe people still believe Sony will publish Bloodborne on PC.

dr_rus

It's hilarious that this Windows PC port of a PS4 game published by Sony on Steam have a good chance of being technically better than MS's port of an Xbox One game to Windows Store.

Top Bottom