• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVO 2009: Fighting Game Championships - July 17 - 19, Las Vegas, NV (At the Rio!)

Snaku

Banned
akachan ningen said:
This is a tournament for fighting games.

2vwd2de.gif

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Sanjay said:
So where the hell is Virtua Fighter 5.

It suffers from the same problem as Tekken. Japan/Korea have the latest version, America does not... no one wants to play the obsolete version, especially the overseas players who are playing on the latest machines.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
So what's the reason why they dropped Tekken? I thought it was a big hitter at EVO. :sadface:

And why no Texas love?

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
II VerTigo II said:
So what's the reason why they dropped Tekken? I thought it was a big hitter at EVO. :sadface:

And why no Texas love?

It is a big hitter at EVO. But considering as how T6BR is out in arcades it probably wouldn't be too fun to play T5DR :(

Hell ya! It seems that the Guilty Gear community has finally broken through! No longer is the 2D fighter list completely dominated by Capcom games! :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
MarkMan said:
It is a big hitter at EVO. But considering as how T6BR is out in arcades it probably wouldn't be too fun to play T5DR :(

That doesn't make much sense to me though. Kind of like saying "Considering SF4 is out in arcades, it probably wouldn't be too fun to SF2 Hd Remix or SF3: 3rd Strike". I mean, I can understand the rationale, but when SF has 2 prequels in there along with SF4, it wouldn't hold up if that's the real reason.

Mr Jared

Guilty Gear coming back is a huge "wtf" because nobody plays it. Soul Calibur IV being added to the line-up is just bizarre. No Smash is understandable for a million reasons, but hard to believe considering how much of a draw it is.

But you know what? It doesn't matter. Street Fighter IV is going to be freaking crazy. I'm soooo there this year.

y2dvd

MvC2 and 3S will always be staple games at EVO. Brawl takes too long. Tekken will most likely be back in the lineup next year once Tekken BR is released for console.

54-46!

It's a shame that VF5R and Tekken 6 aren't out on consoles yet, Soul Calibur 4 is the only 3D game wich seems kind of weird, isn't the Tekken crowd bigger than that community? I'm sure there are alot of people still playing T5DR..

I'm all for the 2D love though. The Street Fighter IV tournament will be very interesting, I hope we'll get to see alot of new players in the top. Also, here's hoping that the 3rd Strike tourney contains more than Chun/Yun teams, as much as I love that game it sure has got some problems.

Guilty Gear is back too wich is awesome because well.. that game kicks ass.

"That doesn't make much sense to me though. Kind of like saying "Considering SF4 is out in arcades, it probably wouldn't be too fun to SF2 Hd Remix or SF3: 3rd Strike". I mean, I can understand the rationale, but when SF has 2 prequels in there along with SF4, it wouldn't hold up if that's the real reason."

Tekken and Street Fighter are completely different beasts in this regard. Realistically, Street Fighter is different from every other series in this regard besides King of Fighters.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
YuriLowell said:
Is anyone being banned from TvC?

It seems broke as hell from what I played.

MvC and MvC2 are broken as hell. TvC is no different. I'm willling to bet certain off screen shit is banned though.

Skilletor

Mr Jared said:
Guilty Gear coming back is a huge "wtf" because nobody plays it. Soul Calibur IV being added to the line-up is just bizarre. No Smash is understandable for a million reasons, but hard to believe considering how much of a draw it is.

But you know what? It doesn't matter. Street Fighter IV is going to be freaking crazy. I'm soooo there this year.

Sounds like you don't pay attention to other communities.

amodf

guilty gear players whine about everything and there's not very many of them so big ???s why it's back again. is it because they know for sure there won't be guilty gear in 2010 so lets bring it back for another year?

there aren't ever legacy tekken games because they get so dumb. Let's play t3 and t5 ps2 again whooo hoo.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
MarkMan said:

:( Tekken is always fun.... Damn them and damn TK6!!

I know you would love to see some Tekken action at EVO.

Skilletor

GGAC side tourney (delegated to the players organizing it and bringing everything they needed to play the game) had more entrants than one of the main tourneys last year. Forget which, probably ST.

People are clearly delusional thinking that nobody plays GG.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Hotel prices are pretty cheap right now... about $77-85 a night for suites from the 17th - 20th.

Plane tickets are good too... I got 140 RT from SD to Vegas. ;)

Anyanka

Kintaro said:
That doesn't make much sense to me though. Kind of like saying "Considering SF4 is out in arcades, it probably wouldn't be too fun to SF2 Hd Remix or SF3: 3rd Strike". I mean, I can understand the rationale, but when SF has 2 prequels in there along with SF4, it wouldn't hold up if that's the real reason.

Because 3S is a very different game than SF IV where as Tekken(and most 3D fighters) tend to build off sequels so they replace the previous game.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
You know whats funny, I posted an EVO thread here like 2 years ago maybe and it got like 7 responses or something. haha. ohhh how times have changed. i will be going to this too, duh, of course. glad its at the Rio, love that place.

btw, thanks for the link, Mark.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Skilletor said:
GGAC side tourney (delegated to the players organizing it and bringing everything they needed to play the game) had more entrants than one of the main tourneys last year. Forget which, probably ST.

People are clearly delusional thinking that nobody plays GG.

People who think they're in the know aren't actually in the know! Who would've thunk!?

amodf

Oichi said:
People who think they're in the know aren't actually in the know! Who would've thunk!?

it got more than tekken 5:dr, which was dead and boring the year before, which is why it's not back.

the gg side tourney got like 80 dudes, but cvs2 usually gets almost 200, and that's gone now.

i just wonder if any of the gg players are still playing gg, i guess they got time, i'd expect everyone's rusty and bad and japan wins.

as long as soul calibur 4 isn't boring and is at 12pm on sunday i'm cool with this list.

except tvc invitational is dumb, esp. a 64-man invitational. why not just let the other 64 people play, it's just another round in the pools.

fernie417

No_Style said:
I smell drama that's worth getting into. Please elaborate? I don't mean to derail, but it sounds fascinating how entire communities are snubbed and embraced like they were business partners.

The short of it would be: In 2007 Evo had Melee as one of their games, they used the SmashBoard's (the smash bros. community message board) ruleset where they ban all the items and only play on the "Final Destination" stage. It seemed to go well. However when Brawl was released in 2008, the Evo Staff decided to turn most items on since it was a new game and too early to tell if that sort of thing should have been banned. Feeling snubbed by this change, the Smash Boards throw a tantrum and decide to boycott the event.

Attendance ends up being lower than the year before, and a twelve year old wins the entire tournament. The Evo staff, coming from a Street Fighter background where nothing is banned, where glitches become part of the gameplay, are at odds with the SmashBoards who feel any sort of randomness is not conducive to competitive play. They agree to disagree and both go their separate ways. The end.

fernie417 said:
The short of it would be: In 2007 Evo had Melee as one of their games, they used the SmashBoard's (the smash bros. community message board) ruleset where they ban all the items and only play on the "Final Destination" stage. It seemed to go well. However when Brawl was released in 2008, the Evo Staff decided to turn most items on since it was a new game and too early to tell if that sort of thing should have been banned. Feeling snubbed by this change, the Smash Boards throw a tantrum and decide to boycott the event.

Attendance ends up being lower than the year before, and a twelve year old wins the entire tournament. The Evo staff, coming from a Street Fighter background where nothing is banned, where glitches become part of the gameplay, are at odds with the SmashBoards who feel any sort of randomness is not conducive to competitive play. They agree to disagree and both go their separate ways. The end.
Real men use items.
:lol

darkressurection said:
I am gonna try my hardest to make it out to EVO. Will be my first one.:D

Why don't you come with us this year? You're still invited to come play with us anytime. We have pretty competitive and awesome players here in ABQ. Hopefully we'll see you out at local tournaments or random gatherings.

Again, here's my SRK page.
http://forums.shoryuken.com/member.php?u=6728
Feel free to PM me or whatever. We get together often for some CvS2, 3s, ST, and SF4 when it drops. We play Marvel too but that game is too broken for me.
We need as many new people to the scene as we can get. We have an ABQ thread in the southwest matchmaking forums.

GalacticAE said:
Why don't you come with us this year? You're still invited to come play with us anytime. We have pretty competitive and awesome players here in ABQ. Hopefully we'll see you out at local tournaments or random gatherings.

Again, here's my SRK page.
http://forums.shoryuken.com/member.php?u=6728
Feel free to PM me or whatever. We get together often for some CvS2, 3s, ST, and SF4 when it drops. We play Marvel too but that game is too broken for me.
We need as many new people to the scene as we can get. We have an ABQ thread in the southwest matchmaking forums.
Yeah, I will have to try and meetup with you guys at some point.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Mr Jared said:

At FRXI (2nd largest tourney in the US) last year- GGXXAC was the #1 entered game. VF can't even draw 8 people most places. GG is probably the 2nd or 3st most popular fighter in the US, VF is way down there, despite its excellent quality.

Yeah, I'm not happy about it either- but them's the facts.

Smash really pissed off the rest of the FGC with their antics- that was why GG got left out of Evo before. I'm surprised SC got let in, given its rather poor reputation as well. Also, Smash players generally don't play other games, which leads to some tenstion.

DrDogg

Flying_Phoenix said:
Hell ya! It seems that the Guilty Gear community has finally broken through! No longer is the 2D fighter list completely dominated by Capcom games! :D

This isn't the first year for GG at Evo, and it's very possible that at least BlazBlue will be in the lineup next year.

Kintaro said:

There's a big difference. People still play ST and 3s religiously. No one plays competitive Tekken in any kind of real capacity aside from the handful of cities who have a T6 cabinet. This has happened because of the huge delay between T5 DR and an official US release of T6. Everyone is waiting for the new game with many Tekken players switching over to SC4 or some other fighter for the time being.

Mr Jared said:
Guilty Gear coming back is a huge "wtf" because nobody plays it. Soul Calibur IV being added to the line-up is just bizarre.

www.dustloop.com says hello.

And why is the SC4 addition bizarre? There's a big competitive community for SC4 and it's actually more balanced than most of the Capcom fighters.

amodf said:
guilty gear players whine about everything and there's not very many of them so big ???s why it's back again. is it because they know for sure there won't be guilty gear in 2010 so lets bring it back for another year?

there aren't ever legacy tekken games because they get so dumb. Let's play t3 and t5 ps2 again whooo hoo.

The amount of ignorance in your posts is astounding...

www.dustloop.com says hello to you as well. Lots of GG players there since it has a HUGE community. And as I mentioned in the above post, if for some reason GG is gone next year, there's a very good chance it will be replaced with BlazBlue, which is the most recent Arc Sys fighter.

amodf said:
as long as soul calibur 4 isn't boring and is at 12pm on sunday i'm cool with this list.

except tvc invitational is dumb, esp. a 64-man invitational. why not just let the other 64 people play, it's just another round in the pools.

Why would SC4 be boring? Could it be because you're not a SC fan? I know MvC2 is the most boring game I have ever seen, but that's because I don't play it. I still respect the people who do and the people who think it's fun to watch.

SC4 will have a huge turnout at Evo 2k9. France, Germany, Singapore and Australia are already making plans to attend, plus a huge US following. It would be a shame to have it be the first set of finals on Sunday.

Why is it dumb that there's an invitational tournament for a game that has no official US release and requires a console that is the least compatible with fighting games?

haunts said:
You know whats funny, I posted an EVO thread here like 2 years ago maybe and it got like 7 responses or something. haha. ohhh how times have changed. i will be going to this too, duh, of course. glad its at the Rio, love that place.

btw, thanks for the link, Mark.
indeed, things have changed.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9762

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18822

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42275

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92547

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97008

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141987
^^^
Blablurn said:
Wrong Forum?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155199