• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVO 2009: Fighting Game Championships - July 17 - 19, Las Vegas, NV (At the Rio!)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
oh snap, i need to ask my girl when her streetwear convention is... jon bones & co might be taking vegas by storm :lol

GhaleonQ

"Wrong forum?"

Classic. I came back to fighting games with Virtua Fighter 5. Were things really that dire for the genre?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'd go if the convention were in August maybe. Too many other conventions around I've got to cover.

Kintaro said:
That doesn't make much sense to me though. Kind of like saying "Considering SF4 is out in arcades, it probably wouldn't be too fun to SF2 Hd Remix or SF3: 3rd Strike". I mean, I can understand the rationale, but when SF has 2 prequels in there along with SF4, it wouldn't hold up if that's the real reason.
It's really more like saying, why play Second Impact when Third Strike is out, or why play World Warrior when ST is out. Capcom makes all of their tweaks under the same number, and when they go to the next number, the game is completely different. Most of the time with Tekken, VF, SC, the difference from one game to it's predecessor is not as massive.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
riskVSreward said:
It's really more like saying, why play Second Impact when Third Strike is out, or why play World Warrior when ST is out. Capcom makes all of their tweaks under the same number, and when they go to the next number, the game is completely different. Most of the time with Tekken, VF, SC, the difference from one game to it's predecessor is not as massive.

I...honestly don't even remember what all of that was about. :lol

Kintaro said:
I...honestly don't even remember what all of that was about. :lol
It's cool, I know you know all of that shit I posted anyway. Someone was defending the lack of variety in games at EVO this year by stating the latest versions of Tekken and VF are unavailable on the home consoles. I personally would run Tekken Tag in lieu of not being able to run Tekken 6, and VF 2 in lieu of not having VF5:R but I also agree running Tekken 5 instead of 6 or VF 5 instead of 5R would be lame.

Still feels strange not having any version of Tekken at EVO.

FoxSpirit

GhaleonQ said:
"Wrong forum?"

Classic. I came back to fighting games with Virtua Fighter 5. Were things really that dire for the genre?

Only if you were not Soulcalibur or Tekken or DoA. So yes.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
akachan ningen said:
Meh, I've been to EVO enough times. It was better when it was at cal poly.

Correction, it was better when it was at an actual arcade. B5, arcade was open all weekend, mad crack sessions.

Anyways, I should be there this year, either helping out or entering (definitely getting drunk regardless), KEYSTONE!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
EVO better at Cal Poly? No way... we were held down, there was too much awesome...

2005 was the best year IMO.

There was so much to watch/see that year..

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Arpharmd B said:
No console version of R.

That really wouldn't change a whole lot... the VF turnout has always been pretty low compared to the other games. I think that most of the time it's there just to show respect to the series, not because it's popular. :p

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Please please please have HD vids of all the hype SFIV matches for the people who can't attend (me). Thanks. :D

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Kaako said:
Please please please have HD vids of all the hype SFIV matches for the people who can't attend (me). Thanks. :D

They are going to have a stream this year and every year they have a DVD of all(?) the matches from the tournament.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So much fighting games love here.. im in heaven!:D

Sadly no KOF XII :( , maybe next year

I'm no good at fighters, but I still wanted to go with my buddy Eric this year (I've been following EVO since 03" I believe) I can't afford the trip right now. Sucks because this year is going to be HYPE....

EVO SOUTH AMERICA - July 10 - 19 São Paulo - Anime Friends Show

- Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe
- Street Fighter IV
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Tatsunoko Vs Capcom

Shame! No Marvel vsCapcom 2 :lol

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Afro Thunder said:
EVO SOUTH AMERICA - July 10 - 19 São Paulo - Anime Friends Show

- Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe
- Street Fighter IV
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Tatsunoko Vs Capcom

Shame! No Marvel vsCapcom 2 :lol
What?!

I will be watching the stream. I listened to AlphaISM and it sounds like the Evo directors want the stream up as much as possible all throughout the weekend. I will be tuned in!

Momar

aka Ryder
MarkMan said:
oh yea

BB is now official at EVO

http://evo2k.com/?p=465

---

am I gonna see some gaffers up in this bitch or am I gonna have to do headspins by myself?!

yeah i'll be there hey what's that in your avataaaOOHHHHHGGGOOOD BANNG BANG BANNNGGGG BANG BANGBANGBANGBANG BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG

Mr Jared

STREET FIGHTAH FO, SON! STREET FIGHTAH FO!

Are we doing a GAF meet-up or what?

This guy is entered in SF4 and a Breaker's Revenge side-tourney, because it's more hype than GGXX and SC4 combined. Heck, let's go all the way and have the meet-up during GGXX pools!

Sorry. I get all salty and ghetto during EVO. Bad case of the hype.

kazuo

MarkMan said:
Seriously!

1040 for SF4 alone!

WOW.

I kind of regret not planning for EVO despite knowing well in advance that it was going down.

Ugh.

I might still hop a plane last second... anyone got a place for me to sleep? :lol

EDIT: In case I don't go (highly likely), anyone wanna pick up one of those joystick bags for me? I didn't get a chance to pick one up off the website. ;_;

HiResDes

Mr Jared said:
STREET FIGHTAH FO, SON! STREET FIGHTAH FO!

Are we doing a GAF meet-up or what?

This guy is entered in SF4 and a Breaker's Revenge side-tourney, because it's more hype than GGXX and SC4 combined. Heck, let's go all the way and have the meet-up during GGXX pools!

Sorry. I get all salty and ghetto during EVO. Bad case of the hype.
What someone else loves Breaker's Revenge as much as me, I play that shit daily on my Neogeo.

Fersis

Guys, you need to take some pictures.
Wong is going to beat Daigo and you all know it!!!

HiResDes

Fersis said:
Guys, you need to take some pictures.
Wong is going to beat Daigo and you all know it!!!
I have a feeling that if Daigo gets beat it will be by a Sagat or a Dhalsim...I'm suprised that no Sagat made it to the nationals last tourny.

HiResDes said:
Is he still playing with Bison? I just hope Mike Ross has a good showing, he's such a cool guy.
Valle plays Ryu in SFIV
and yeah, I hope Ross does well too. But if haunts gets a rematch I want haunts to win.

Top Bottom