• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Review Thread

this game does not, will not, and will never splinter the community

ever

They have made that part clear every time the topic comes up. All maps and modes they make will be free. You can play against additional hunters/monsters without having them yourself, and can even take over and play them if you're playing with a friend or a bot in the match is a dlc character.

As for the rest, that's mostly why it's hard to review a multiplayer game. What is repetition in a multiplayer environment? It's hard to gauge that on a critical level as that's something that you either feel is okay or is not okay. If you do it based off content, that's also vauge and can go multiple ways. Is 10 maps too little? Is 15 okay? Is 20 good? What's the line? Why is there a line?

I played over 30 hours of the beta and don't think the game is repetitive at all. The bigger issue with a game like this is inherent balance, and if something is so powerful you see no variety in the community. And that's something that seeps deep within the design of any multiplayer competitive game, be it a fighter, a shooter, or even a card game.

That doesnt change the fact that the only variety you get is from the different hunters/monsters because they have different playstyles. So you are basically forced to buy them if you want something different than the usual hunters,monsters.

CS has : Multiple weapons, grenades and stuff to make different tactics. One map has multiple paths to the goal where you have like 1000 different tactics to accomplish your goal.
Evolve has : You play one Hunter with 3-4 Weapon/Gadgets. A big open Map where you only track down the Monster because you see where its heading.

For me CS sounds like a game with more variety than Evolve.

I hope a lot of people forget about the wrong facts that were spread by partially the publisher and the press and buy this awesome game and a better apporoach on paid dlc than other shooter giants *looks at bf, titanfall and cod*

What wrong facts?

For additional Monsters and Hunters you still have to pay in the future.
I bought the game, but this is still shady and I am sure it was not the decision of the devs but 2K.

In such a game such DLC-tactics could destroy the whole community. It doesnt really matter whether you can play with people who have the DLC or not, but a lot of people wont even buy that game because Evolve still HAS such DLC.

Spoo

I nabbed this the other day on Steam. Anyone else on Steam who will at least be giving this plenty of their time this week and next? I'd love to network with some GAF bros so I always have some peeps to play with. PM me with your Steam info, or I will gladly PM you mine on request :D

What wrong facts?

For additional Monsters and Hunters you still have to pay in the future.
I bought the game, but this is still shady and I am sure it was not the decision of the devs but 2K.

In such a game such DLC-tactics could destroy the whole community. It doesnt really matter whether you can play with people who have the DLC or not, but a lot of people wont even buy that game because Evolve still HAS such DLC.

I'd rather it be this way. Give me all the maps/modes for free, charge for the characters.

CS has : Multiple weapons, grenades and stuff to make different tactics. One map has multiple paths to the goal where you have like 1000 different tactics to accomplish your goal.
Evolve has : You play one Hunter with 3-4 Weapon/Gadgets. A big open Map where you only track down the Monster because you see where its heading.

You don't have to play one hunter or monster forever just like you don't have to use the AK-47 forever.

You don't have to play one hunter or monster forever just like you don't have to use the AK-47 forever.

But if you are tired of all those Hunters/Monsters that arent DLC?

In CS you could go use mods to change the look of your weapon. Or use custom maps with different playstyles (Zombie mod, surf mod etc).

Where in Evolve you are basically done with the game. You can either stop playing or buy more Hunters to squeeze a little more playtime out of the game.

You get variety from working with a team, fighting different monsters, learning the ins and outs of the maps, etc. You're oversimplifying and acting like evolve has one map/mode.

If anything this should be compared to L4D, not CS. And again, that's why these arguments are hard to make. I could see someone thinking L4D is repetitive or lacking in content, as you had a few campaigns and basically had all the faith in the AI director and on top of that all 4 characters played the same. It additionally had Versus mode which was a back and forth through these same campaigns, but you could control infected...though they were all very weak and relied heavily on coordination.

I played over 200 hours of L4D, especially versus, with a team of friends and was constantly figuring out new tricks to use against people online and had a blast. Evolve, from what I played, is a much deeper game than that from the getgo.

Evolve has a bigger map. But that doesnt mean you NEED to learn every inch about it. Because they are open they are far less interesting or engaging.
Sometimes less is more.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That doesnt change the fact that the only variety you get is from the different hunters/monsters because they have different playstyles. So you are basically forced to buy them if you want something different than the usual hunters,monsters.

For me CS sounds like a game with more variety than Evolve.

You get variety from working with a team, fighting different monsters, learning the ins and outs of the maps, etc. You're oversimplifying and acting like evolve has one map/mode.

If anything this should be compared to L4D, not CS. And again, that's why these arguments are hard to make. I could see someone thinking L4D is repetitive or lacking in content, as you had a few campaigns and basically had all the faith in the AI director and on top of that all 4 characters played the same. It additionally had Versus mode which was a back and forth through these same campaigns, but you could control infected...though they were all very weak and relied heavily on coordination.

I played over 200 hours of L4D, especially versus, with a team of friends and was constantly figuring out new tricks to use against people online and had a blast. Evolve, from what I played, is a much deeper game than that from the getgo.

I guess I would ask you this: How much is okay for the game to have? If no DLC existed, you would eventually get bored anyway. I don't see the end game here.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Are you aware that theres 3 of each class of hunter and 3 monsters in the main game that you get to play as/unlock day 1 without buying anything else but the game? If you feel that's not enough then... ok. But I don't think its fair to shit on the devs for trying to extend the life of their game just as every other developer out there does these days.

But if you are tired of all those Hunters/Monsters that arent DLC?

In CS you could go use mods to change the look of your weapon. Or use custom maps with different playstyles (Zombie mod, surf mod etc).

Where in Evolve you are basically done with the game. You can either stop playing or buy more Hunters to squeeze a little more playtime out of the game.

I'm not sure I understand. I've played many multiplayer games without mod support for hundreds of hours without getting bored. Why is this a problem?

I told myself if the reviews were really stellar maybe i'd jump in, those reviews are strong! but not enough for me to put up with their DLC, pre-order and rather anti-consumer practices. It's just all left such a bad taste in m mouth.

Me and my friends were psyched w/ the announcement too, being big l4d fans and all enjoying monster hunter a ton, so being ok with fairly repetitive content. I think all of us are passing.

I'd rather it be this way. Give me all the maps/modes for free, charge for the characters.

You are totally right, but the price structure is awful.

Me too. This is far better, but the prices are horrendous. I wonder how many people decided not to buy it because of that.

Thanks to the Source-SDK you got free content from modders half a year (iirc) after the L4D Release though.

Are you aware that theres 3 of each class of hunter and 3 monsters in the main game that you get to play as/unlock day 1 without buying anything else but the game? If you feel that's not enough then... ok. But I don't think its fair to shit on the devs for trying to extend the life of their game just as every other developer out there does these days.

Thats the wrong approach though. There is a reason why TF2 and L4D1/2 are still played today as well as the old BF games. Modding is a big part of that.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Picture in OP reminds me of the alien race in Edge of tomorrow,
EOT_DVD_CreaturesNotOfThisWorld-FINAL_001.jpg

That is totally a mimic straight out of EoT.

This game had very little buzz. If more people would jump in it'd be exciting.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Me too. This is far better, but the prices are horrendous. I wonder how many people decided not to buy it because of that.

Thanks to the Source-SDK you got free content from modders half a year (iirc) after the L4D Release though.

I played on 360 so I was just doing that with the vanilla package.

L4D was so good. ;_;

RedAssedApe

Banned
Couldn't really tell what was going on in the streams I was watching. Got a little bored after a few matches.

Think the reviews might be higher than expected as you really don't get a sense of the longevity of a mp only game until it's been out for bit.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I played on 360 so I was just doing that with the vanilla package.

L4D was so good. ;_;

It would be cool if the alien fauna in Evolve were more dangerous. Plus the hunters are so mobile it's just chase, chase, chase, the monster and there's nothing to impede you. The map doesn't feel balanced for the monsters, like in L4D. In L4D there are so many places to hide and perch from when you're playing as the baddies, and when you're the survivors there are so many choke and ambush points it made the play feel very asymmetric.

I didn't feel as if the maps changed in feel from monster/hunter with Evolve.

While others doing it for free? Like Valve? Evolve has skins. Why not selling those?
And i dont say that those arent enough. Im just saying that playing there is a time where you played them all and thats it. And how many want to play medic? And how many would leave a match because they cant play the Tracker?

Also announcing more Hunters/Monster before the game gets out and even announce the preorder DLC before the game gets announced is still shit. And then selling this preorder monster for FUCKING 15$!!!!!!! for everyone else is the biggest bullshit ever. So you are fucked if you wait for the real reviews? We should not tolerate that shit.

I'm not sure I understand. I've played many multiplayer games without mod support for hundreds of hours without getting bored. Why is this a problem?

Does those games have prestige and a level system and weapon customization? If yes then you have your answer there.

daammyy

No idea how it will review at large, but I as far as preorders go, it isn't doing very well at least where I've checked. Not very confident in its performance. Maybe there will be a big turn around or positive word of mouth after release, but I've heard very little buzz from customers.

Where do you check preorders? Or do you work at a gamestore?

Shit gunplay was expected from left4dead developers (though that doesn't justify it, at all) ,but how good the game is compared to left4dead is going to be hard to judge from reviews...

left4dead was one of those games many people never 'got' because they played with random shitters. If you had a decent team (this could be a pug, just a good team that communicates and cooperates) it was the best mp coop gameplay you could find.
Anyone able to use the server browser would know how to find decent people to play with.

Well executed versus ambushes made for some super memorable and satisfying moments. + the infected gameplay had tons of depth to it.

I won't buy it to find out though, they can stick their preorder dlc n lack of mod support up their asses, I'll either get it in a humble bundle (where I can select to give the dollar to charity) or never at all.
I would have been there on launch week (as a huge left4dead fan) if they hadn't fucked it up, but greedy fuckers deserve nothing

Kane1345

The game didn't click with me at all in beta sadly and I was really excited for it before then. I wish turtle rock success with it and maybe one day I'll pick it up when it's really cheap.

glaurung

Decided to give this one a miss and I am not sad that I did.

I've watched some of the Twitch fanatics playing this game and I expect its novelty to run out in about two weeks.

Grady

I dont think the game will have legs. Will dead by ssummer. Online shooters are tough to keep populated, unless its cod or bf. Should have focused on left for dead 3 instead.

Meh....
Evolve looks so.... boring and uninspiring.
Expecting a lot of 7/10.

Did you accidentally hit 7?

I wouldn't expect boring and uninspired games to get 7's...

That's the low end scale for good but slightly flawed games. 3 or 5 is what I'd expect for something that's considered boring and uninspired.

Did you accidentally hit 7?

I wouldn't expect boring and uninspired games to get 7's...

That's the low end scale for good but slightly flawed games. 3 or 5 is what I'd expect for something that's considered boring and uninspired.

Games get 3 or 5 if they are completely broken trash. 7 for boring and unispired (but still playable) sounds about right these days.

Stimpack

I don't think I've played an 8/10 game since Wolfenstein. From what I've played of Evolve, I care for it about as much as I did L4D, so I guess it's no surprise that it seems to be met with the same regard. The past year in video games has been a major bummer for me.

Pudge

I got the game for the Steam discount, so I guess I'll hit it up while the servers still work and people are playing it. I expect the game to be dead by the end of the year on PC just like Titanfall.

Jito

Banned
Good scores, higher than I expected. I wasn't really blown away by the beta, most matches played out the same, running about big bland maps for far too long, spent more time in matchmaking than in game too. I don't really see this game having legs sadly, it might be dead by summer. Hopefully not though as it's a good premises and I'll definelty pick it up for a lot cheaper.

CozMick

Banned
Games get 3 or 5 if they are completely broken trash. 7 for boring and unispired (but still playable) sounds about right these days.

Assassins Creed Unity completely breaks this way of thinking.

7 is broken.
8 is a working game that is boring and uninspired
9 is Call of Duty
10 is paid off by the publisher.

Seems like a broken rating scale if boring and uninspired games getting 7 is seen as acceptable.

What am I saying. I don't even really care about rating scales any more. I prefer gamer impressions these days, but still, 7 for boring games is far too generous.

geordiemp

Assassins Creed Unity completely breaks this way of thinking.

7 is broken.
8 is a working game that is boring and uninspired
9 is Call of Duty
10 is paid off by the publisher.

Evolve are throwing allot of money around, almost every big site has evolve stuff everywhere...

So I expected reviewers to give gracious 8's.

Phinor

So Gameplay repeats itself, clunky gameplay, boring modes.

Years ago a game with these problems would have gotten something around 5-6 points. Now its a 7-8.

Years (20-30) ago almost every game was like that and people didn't mind. Times have changed and most games get good scores if they entertain you for 5-15 hours. The only difference is that it's (mostly) a multiplayer game, not a singleplayer experience.

That being said, I can't see any other fate for Evolve other than quickly dying out once people get bored / the next new thing is released. I do wonder if another CS is even a possibility, a game (fps specifically) that lasts for a decade without any big changes (although some people argue that no one plays the core game anymore, it's all about mods, but I disagree).

Top Bottom