• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Review Thread

It could score a perfect 100 on metacritic and I still wouldn't touch it. An Alpha and Beta were enough to make up my mind. Not my cup of tea. Doesn't have the L4D feel and the DLC is very off putting.

I'm surprised at the positive reception of such an average game.

The alpha and beta didn't impress. It just doesn't have the flow and hook of games like Titanfall, Garden Warfare or even, so help me, Ghost Recon Phantoms and the Hardline beta.

When there are superior offerings out there, I'm not sure why people should splurge for this title. The confusing DLC messaging isn't helping its reputation either.

Angel_DvA

7/10 looks to be what the game deserve at best by my experience with the Alpha/Beta.

I'm not buying it but I want to see How the game will be receive by the "press"

Circinae

Neo Member
Oh also not being able to have a team of friends match up as both the four hunters and monster is flawed. Kills any form of play with my group.

This can be done in custom games, just not through match-making, which you wouldn't be using to set it up anyway.

Klyka

Banned
I'm surprised at the positive reception of such an average game.

The alpha and beta didn't impress. It just doesn't have the flow and hook of games like Titanfall, Garden Warfare or even, so help me, Ghost Recon Phantoms and the Hardline beta.

When there are superior offerings out there, I'm not sure why people should splurge for this title. The confusing DLC messaging isn't helping its reputation either.

Please enlighten me on the superior offerings of 4 vs 1 multiplayer games.

Nzyme32

I don't see the point in scoring games such as this, or even reviewing them at this point. These amount to simple previews of the game. Looking at the game when it is actually in full swing with it's online community and capabilities put to use, and then looking at the effects on the game, it's gameplay, and longevity, would be a lot more important to me by a long shot

Circinae

Neo Member
I don't see the point in scoring games such as this, or even reviewing them at this point. These amount to simple previews of the game. Looking at the game when it is actually in full swing with it's online community and capabilities put to use, and then looking at the effects on the game, it's gameplay, and longevity, would be a lot more important to me by a long shot

I completely agree, you really can't judge many of the key elements to a multiplayer game such as this without it having a good period out in the wild.

Massa

People want to know whether they should buy the game tomorrow, not until after it's been through its paces.

I'm really just curious about how it scores but I can't bring myself to buy this at or around launch with their awful DLC practices.

Not to mention, the "Big Alpha" seemed like a tone deaf mess of explosions and gunfire with no rhyme or reason and that doesn't exactly sell your game.

I'll look into it when it's Used and the price is more in the $29.99 range but I'm expecting that to be fairly quick given the sour reaction most people are having with it and it's DLC.

CozMick

Banned
Seeing as this is the most active Evolve thread I just wanted to point out that the game is up for download on psn.

Thanks to microsoft you have to manually download it by choosing it on the store.

There is only one question i have about this game, and itll probably determine my whole purchase. I played the alpha and beta on pc and X1.

is matchmaking still completely terrible or not

Considering the load of awards that this game got, I expected higher reviews.
Considering how boring the beta was for me, I expected lower reviews.

i expected lower scores but i'm still pretty certain that it will get boring very quick.

I'm surprised by the scores as well. I thought they'd be lower. The game looks boring, and this is coming from someone who loved L4D and liked L4D2 (it just wasn't the same).

My interest in multiplayer has lessened since those days, so I think I'd bore of it relatively quickly.

To each their own, though. I just won't buy it, and may borrow it from the library someday.

I'm sure I'm not the first/last that thinks this is very Titanfallesque in it's approach. Both introduce new game play mechanics that deliver innovation for multi-player and look like excelling in certain aspects of game design. However like TF, the single player element appears similarly "tagged on" and the lack of "proper" campaign could deter some.

For what it's worth TF was brilliant at what it did well, so if Evolve can deliver similarly, I'll probably end up getting it and putting in 15-20 hours before I get bored. There are plenty of well regarded story-driven single player campaigns that are shorter than that, have little replay value and don't get criticised for lack of content.

Semper88

Placed my pre-order.. got 0 friends that will play this so if anyone is looking for a team buddy hit me up on psn Semperfi-NL (add to the friends request that its about Evolve).

I hope this will deliver or it goes straight into the used game section @ the local gamemania here.

L.O.R.D

BTW , steam users in middle east , the game removed from the store page
its says the game not available in your region

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Aside from the mishandled DLC, why does Gaf seem to have the knives out for this game?

The developer has a good pedigree and conceptually at least it's novel. I feel like I missed a controversy.

NHale

Yesterday I decided to watch a stream of the game and it was the first time I remotely become interested in the game (just in time for 2K to close the stream...) but at the same time saw the problems and how it might become unbalanced quite easily in the future, for example if you buy it in 6 months how can you play against leveled up monsters or hunters?

But finally I think I understood what it tries to achieve with the tension and a strategy battle between the monster requirement to feed to evolve and escaping the hunters which becomes a quite interesting mouse and cat battle but at the same time I saw a squad running for 5 straight minutes like chickens without heads while the monster reached level 3 easily and wiped them out in less than 30 seconds.

Not a game I would jump in at full price especially with the DLC strategy from 2K but then again if I jump in when it drops in price in the next 6 months will there be a community left to play?

shandy706

We gave it at 7.5.

http://stevivor.com/2015/02/review-evolve/

Long story short, great with friends, awful alone, and we're completely worried playing without a set crew will greatly impact your enjoyment of the game.

PS - I notice that ReptileScorpio linked to this previously, and I'll admit I've NO IDEA what protocol calls for in this instance. If this post should be deleted, feel free to murder it. :)

Eh, this game is most likely a no go for me then. Clunky shooting too....

I literally JUST went back to Titanfall (which I hadn't played since like a month after release) and the new "hoard mode" they added is an absolute blast.

Does Evolve have a "hoard mode"?

Yesterday I decided to watch a stream of the game and it was the first time I remotely become interested in the game (just in time for 2K to close the stream...) but at the same time saw the problems and how it might become unbalanced quite easily in the future, for example if you buy it in 6 months how can you play against leveled up monsters or hunters?

But finally I think I understood what it tries to achieve with the tension and a strategy battle between the monster requirement to feed to evolve and escaping the hunters which becomes a quite interesting mouse and cat battle but at the same time I saw a squad running for 5 straight minutes like chickens without heads while the monster reached level 3 easily and wiped them out in less than 30 seconds.

Not a game I would jump in at full price especially with the DLC strategy from 2K but then again if I jump in when it drops in price in the next 6 months will there be a community left to play?

Monsters level up within the match. Hunters don't level up but can find perks during the match. They're all reset for the next game. There's no overarching CoD style ability unlocks beyond unlocking more hunters and monsters to use.

Review scores have become pretty predictable the last couple of years. So much so I don't see much value in them myself. It is a very positive sign that sites are holding their scores until after the servers take on the load from consumers. That bodes well for future titles and for those that want a quick glance at whether the game is worth the money now or not.

NHale

Monsters level up within the match. Hunters don't level up but can find perks during the match. They're all reset for the next game. There's no overarching CoD style ability unlocks beyond unlocking more hunters and monsters to use.

Good to know. I saw the guy unlocking a new hunter yesterday with better guns and thought the game was filled with that.

Lunar15

Honestly, this game kind of reminds me of Titanfall in that it's almost more of a "cult classic" game in that it's kind of experimental and not fully baked while still being fresh and original. However, both games were hyped as "The Next Big Thing", and as a result have these really weird expectations placed on them. It's like, in an alternate universe, they'd be underhyped cult classics: not perfect, but doing something no one else does.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Sometimes 8's mean a solid game, sometimes they mean an uncontroversial score not to get on a publisher's bad side.

I'm feeling the latter with these 8's.

Particularly when most sites don't use the full scale. 8 is at best the middle of the scale for them.

Playing the betas it quickly grew stale even when playing with friends. Playing with randoms was a complete waste of time.

I don't really care where the metacritic lands for this, but you've got to divide whatever score it is by 2, since to get all the content for this game you'll have to throw down the price of the game twice.

Elandyll

Banned
Are we now in bizarro land where the most direct successor to Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 (both 89's weighted average with plenty of 9s and 10s) is getting mostly 7s and 8s and it is construed as "good scores!"... ?

In a vaccuum, it would be rather average at best, but with the devs' pedigree and MS's weight in marketing and tech expertise gunning for it to be this year's Titanfall (86 weighted average), it is pretty bad imo.

Need to see some kind of performance reviews; my video card is the minimum required card and because I am not ready to upgrade, I am curious to hear how it runs at 1080 and how many detail sacrifices must be made. That's really what is holding me back right now.

Top Bottom