• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Gameplay From Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Hirata Estates.

Seanjohn

Neo Member
Hyped!!!
84Kv.gif

Art direction really gives me Ninja Scroll and Dororo vibe.

#facts

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I keep going from mega interested to maybe I’ll pass with this one.

On the one hand, the games levelling system is nothing like souls...

But on the other hand, the games levelling system is nothing like souls...

I think it’s a purchase for me. I just hope it’s a good one :) too many duds in recent memory!

DanielsM

Banned

I think it’s a purchase for me. I just hope it’s a good one :) too many duds in recent memory!

Its a wait and see, possibly purchase at $20 title for me say next Fall. Too much backlog and a few other games are just higher on the list.

Bloodborne 2 already! Like yesterday.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

This why so hyped for Sekiro, as much I enjoyed Souls series Im glad seeing FromSofware making different type of game and this game being pure single player game seal the deal for me.

Anasta

Neo Member
If anyone's interested, I've written a blog post to detail some of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice key elements, and how it'll be different from that of Dark Souls and Bloodborne games.

Check it out if you're planning to acquire this Sengoku piece! ❤️

Cheers, and hope you'll have a good one today!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I just pre-ordered this from Gamestop. Kind of strange getting something that's not from Amazon, but they have literally zero discount or pre-order bonus.

Gamestop gives you a letter opener at least so I went for it lol. Now I can slice open some letters.

katana-letter-opener.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I preordered the digital version a while back. The first theme you got is what I like the most. The 2nd one (Hirata Estate) is okay. I wish it would have had a second screen, but then again its a dynamic theme.

The theme you get for pre-ordering

The Hirata Estate theme that just came out in the last couple weeks for pre-orders.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Code:
https://youtu.be/EXD4GXhU_-8

https://youtu.be/qUdc_nPBhpo

https://youtu.be/ZkUNLxeXaPY

https://youtu.be/cTRuIDPtfm8

https://youtu.be/WPpE0Zh0ZcI

Last edited:

kevm3

Dark Souls is maybe my favorite game of all time. I'm looking at this, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. The setting and the enemies look a bit dull. Not sure I like the move towards more action based as opposed to the more strategic and deliberate Dark Souls. The lack of weapons and armors seems wack to me as well. Seems like they are removing a lot of what I liked about Dark Souls, but I'll give it a chance.

Arachnid

Dark Souls is maybe my favorite game of all time. I'm looking at this, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. The setting and the enemies look a bit dull. Not sure I like the move towards more action based as opposed to the more strategic and deliberate Dark Souls. The lack of weapons and armors seems wack to me as well. Seems like they are removing a lot of what I liked about Dark Souls, but I'll give it a chance.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the art style either. It doesn't come off as interesting as Bloodborne or Dark Souls IMO. The whole 'ancient Japan' setting hasn't interested me since Ninja Gaiden, and Nioh made it flat out boring. If anyone can resurrect it for me though, it's the BB/DS devs.

Gameplay wise though, it looks phenomenal. Plus, its FROM so there is no way I wont support them. Day 1 for me.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the art style either.
I guess I’m one of the few people who really likes the art direction for Sekiro. I liked Gothic Victorian setting for Bloodborne but I’m huge sucker for ancient Japan settings.
Sekiro might share some elements from FromSoftware works games but this game is not “Souls game” and isn’t trying to be one. If you going in to this game and expecting to plays like another Souls game then you have no but yourself to blame if you get disappointed.

Arachnid

I guess I’m one of the few people who really likes the art direction for Sekiro. I liked Gothic Victorian setting for Bloodborne but I’m huge sucker for ancient Japan settings.

Sekiro might share some elements from FromSoftware works games but this game is not “Souls game” and isn’t trying to be one. If you going in to this game and expecting to plays like another Souls game then you have no but yourself to blame if you get disappointed.
I'm sure you're not one of the few, plenty of people are into the setting. I think Nioh just killed it for me since they didn't do near enough with it.

I'm also a HUGE horror junkie so Bloodborne's victorian setting with heavy Lovecraftian elements was gaming heaven for me. That probably makes me somewhat biased towards it.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Tried to play Bloodborne for a few hours and found it highly enjoyable but too hard for me to progress (I was also put off by the RPG elements).

Im a sucker for Samurai and the combat looks great in this so I booked the release date off work today so that I can really properly sink my teeth into my first From game.

I'm so hyped for this game I took some vacation days from work just to play this. I'm hardly leaving my chair once it's installed. Everything I've seen from the gameplay just looks so fluid in motion. I can't wait to master the parry system and destroy shit.

JimiNutz

Banned
I was disappointed to read today that even at 1080p on a PS4 Pro the game isn't locked 60fps.

Apparently the framerate varies from the 40s to the 50s and even hits the 30s at times and that's just at 1080p :(

Surely a game like this needs a locked framerate - 60fps ideally?

Danjin44

Is that Blood Will Tell? I bought this at my local retro store but never finished it.
I'm guessing you are talking about the game based on Dororo. The picture I posted above the is new TV remake of Dororo done by studio MAPPA.

Last edited:
I was disappointed to read today that even at 1080p on a PS4 Pro the game isn't locked 60fps.

Apparently the framerate varies from the 40s to the 50s and even hits the 30s at times and that's just at 1080p :(

Sounds like those quotes come from that DF video I posted right above. According to that video, it sounds like it operates very much like Dark Souls 3 did on Pro, as far as uncapped framerate and 1080p resolution

JimiNutz

Banned
Sounds like those quotes come from that DF video I posted right above. According to that video, it sounds like it operates very much like Dark Souls 3 did on Pro, as far as uncapped framerate and 1080p resolution

Yeah that's the one.
I was hoping for a locked framerate at 1080p on Pro.

So I'm guessing there will be a locked 30FPS option instead on Pro and Base PS4 will dip below 30FPS?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

It is disappointing considering how the game doesn't look all that great. I wish From could get better on the technical side of things.

DESTROYA

PC release date is the same for consoles?
I’m starting to get more of the PC versions than consoles on release date just for that reason, most times you just get better performance.

V4skunk

Banned
I think you have it backwards!
Any one going into Sekiro who is not a fan of Soulsborne and expecting something different. Will be the ones setting them selves up for disappointment.

Can’t wait! Combat looks engaging, being able to stay in the fray and parry sword swipes without it always opening up the killing blow makes this very different than nioh and souls borne games to me. The prosthetic arms seem to be the same as bloobornes limited items as far as offering playstyle customization.
And with the speed of traversal across levels I’m honestly impressed by its looks.

Danjin44

I think you have it backwards!
Any one going into Sekiro who is not a fan of Soulsborne and expecting something different. Will be the ones setting them selves up for disappointment.
I personally really enjoyed Souls/Bloodborne and I'm also open to FromSoftware doing something different so either way I'm not going to be disappointed.

With that being said, Sekiro doesn't have RPG elements like pervious games and it doesn't have online or character creation. You have more mobility even compare to Bloodborne and from gameplay I have seen so far it feels much more action game rather than RPG. I'm sure it will share some elements from Souls/Bloodborne but I still would say it will be very different than those games.

It's FROM. Every game of this genre they've made and popularized is better than Nioh so far. Hard to imagine their newest IP failing to do the same.
Dark souls is garbage, one of the slowest clunkiest games i've ever played. Bloodborne isn't much better.

Nioh is that gameplay formula done right, with some speed and a good framerate. I will say this game looks much better than souls series, definitely looks faster and not so clunky, but Nioh is the game to beat.

Last edited:
Dark souls is garbage, one of the slowest clunkiest games i've ever played. Bloodborne isn't much better.

Nioh is that gameplay formula done right, with some speed and a good framerate. I will say this game looks much better than souls series, definitely looks faster and not so clunky, but Nioh is the game to beat.

I don’t think nioh is landing sword combat either though, what you are doing on to the enemies looks flashy, but it’s not exchanging sword blows. That’s what this finally looks like, with all the titles so far two it’s individuals taking turns trying flashie moves on one another, and a sudden death parry at bay any moment.

Arachnid

Completely disagree. Nioh is one of the better games in the genre (compared to Surge and Lords of the Fallen, anyways), but there is no way it stacks up to Dark Souls, nevermind a masterpiece like Bloodborne. The combat was great but the bosses seemed much more obvious/scripted with a certain way to beat them, the level design was abysmal and bland (it made levels just kind of blend together), the story was lame and anticlimactic (I can somewhat forgive this since it's all about the combat), the artistic direction was barely passable and doesn't live up to Soulsborne, all the characters were uninteresting, and the enemy design and variation was really lacking (huge sin for this type of game since it hinges on combat). Team Ninja has done better (Ninja Gaiden Black and Sigma 2 were perfection).

I'm not even saying Nioh was garbage (like you seem to claim with Dark Souls). It was good, but it has a ton to improve on in the sequel if it wants to be held in as high regard as Soulsborne.

I don’t think nioh is landing sword combat either though, what you are doing on to the enemies looks flashy, but it’s not exchanging sword blows. That’s what this finally looks like, with all the titles so far two it’s individuals taking turns trying flashie moves on one another, and a sudden death parry at bay any moment.
I can agree with this too. The blows didn't feel as impactful as Sousborne or Ninja Gaiden.

Last edited:

KINDERFELD

Banned
I'm not feeling the graphics in this game and like other From Software games, I suspect it will only look marginally better on pc.

That isn't criteria for a good action game though... best game for clashing swords is red steel 2 lol.

I will keep my eye on this game, but part of me is just remembering how much I hate dark souls.

The graphics are an improvement, they got rid of the garish post processing and again combat looks way faster which is good.
Team Ninja has done better (Ninja Gaiden Black and Sigma 2 were perfection).
Gross og NG2 is far better

Look souls was just legit one of the most unpleasant gaming experiences i've ever had. It feels like you press a button (and there's input lag) and you are locked in an animation for what feels like to me an eternity. Soooo slow and grating. It is not a good action game and I feel like the difficulty is the only reason people gave a damn. Bloodborne is a touch faster but ultimately I felt the same about it.

And honestly Nioh is good but I still place it far below fast games like Ninja gaiden or bayonetta.

Last edited:
Top Bottom