• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Gameplay From Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice Hirata Estates.

Arachnid

That isn't criteria for a good action game though... best game for clashing swords is red steel 2 lol.

I will keep my eye on this game, but part of me is just remembering how much I hate dark souls.

The graphics are an improvement, they got rid of the garish post processing and again combat looks way faster which is good.

Gross og NG2 is far better

Look souls was just legit one of the most unpleasant gaming experiences i've ever had. It feels like you press a button (and there's input lag) and you are locked in an animation for what feels like to me an eternity. Soooo slow and grating. It is not a good action game and I feel like the difficulty is the only reason people gave a damn. Bloodborne is a touch faster but ultimately I felt the same about it.

And honestly Nioh is good but I still place it far below fast games like Ninja gaiden or bayonetta.
It sounds like your gripes with the combat are about the speed which is what kept it from clicking. Being slower doesn't make it bad. The gameplay is just more methodical. You have to capitalize on openings and know when to play defensively vs offensively. It's not like Bayonetta or DMC where you can freely spam attacks and combos and you're graded on flashiness. Both are great but offer completely different kinds of combat, so it seems like you're more partial to Bayonetta type kind of combat (I can see why you prefer Nioh; it seems to be a mix of both). Nioh doesn't do the methodical/technical gameplay as well as Dark Souls, but it definitely has more options as far as flashy combos and stances (though not as many weapon types and build styles).

But yeah, Ninja Gaiden is the style perfected so far IMO. It's all about openings and timing just like Dark Souls games but is much more punishing and MUCH faster paced. I prefer Dark Souls for the aesthetic, story, bosses, characters and whatnot, but NG has it beat in combat (though the combat in DS is still phenomenal, and more varied).

That isn't criteria for a good action game though... best game for clashing swords is red steel 2 lol.

I will keep my eye on this game, but part of me is just remembering how much I hate dark souls.

The graphics are an improvement, they got rid of the garish post processing and again combat looks way faster which is good.

Gross og NG2 is far better

Look souls was just legit one of the most unpleasant gaming experiences i've ever had. It feels like you press a button (and there's input lag) and you are locked in an animation for what feels like to me an eternity. Soooo slow and grating. It is not a good action game and I feel like the difficulty is the only reason people gave a damn. Bloodborne is a touch faster but ultimately I felt the same about it.

And honestly Nioh is good but I still place it far below fast games like Ninja gaiden or bayonetta.

Why jump to Red steel? Im not talking motion controls here... We are talking action games. Bushido blade would of been the right response anyhow ;) but that’s probably way to slow for you.
I’m feeling some of that Ninja Gaiden adrenaline from what I’ve seen so far.

Duellist

This looks phenomenal

Watching that I think it looks a lot more like a souls game than people think. Combat is faster but still souls like, levels are souls like, HUD looks like souls. Backstabs are souls like. Seems to me this is a faster more actiony souls game without the builds, stat building, and multiplayer. Imo

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Thats not really "input lag" its just there is anticipation in their animation for each attack depending on how big your weapon is, this why you have find opening for enemies before attacking. I feel like you were expecting hack&slash combat in Souls/Bloodborne and they just not that type of games.

Last edited:
Thats not really "input lag" its just there is anticipation in their animation for each attack depending on how big your weapon is, this why you have find opening for enemies before attacking. I feel like you were expecting hack&slash combat in Souls/Bloodborne and they just not that type of games.
There is definitely some lag that isn't just associated with it being 30fps.
There's bad frame pacing and dips as well. Esp. On ps3/360 it is just not a smooth game by any stretch of the imagination.

Plus not every 30fps game is equal in input lag even when locked, killzone 2 is 150ms lag for example but some 30fps racers are 100ms and possibly a bit lower. Not sure where the souls games fall but I'm sure they're on the lower end. Edit : If I had to guess - when the game isn't dropping frames/stuttering - it's probably around 133ms.

People can dig the souls games but I'm definitely not giving them much credit.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
I personally really enjoyed Souls/Bloodborne and I'm also open to FromSoftware doing something different so either way I'm not going to be disappointed.

With that being said, Sekiro doesn't have RPG elements like pervious games and it doesn't have online or character creation. You have more mobility even compare to Bloodborne and from gameplay I have seen so far it feels much more action game rather than RPG. I'm sure it will share some elements from Souls/Bloodborne but I still would say it will be very different than those games.
You have it backwards again! This is soulsborne, with the level up system replaced with a skill tree.
A few new mobility options like grapple and jump. Stamina removed for a posture bar.
Most importantly block / trick attack replaced with a parry system, which directly plays into the posture system.
Sekiro is going to be brutal and a lot of people will need to git gud.

Last edited:
I guess I’m one of the few people who really likes the art direction for Sekiro. I liked Gothic Victorian setting for Bloodborne but I’m huge sucker for ancient Japan settings.

Sekiro might share some elements from FromSoftware works games but this game is not “Souls game” and isn’t trying to be one. If you going in to this game and expecting to plays like another Souls game then you have no but yourself to blame if you get disappointed.

There’s a group on here who likes to parrot “This isn’t souls combat, there’s verticality!”

I’ve watched the footage. Combat reminds me of souls games in many ways. I’m excited about that. Can’t wait for this baby.

You know this isn’t like Souls right?

Gonna be lots of backlash when people realize it’s more Tenchu than a Souls game.

There’s absolutely an element of “Souls like” feel to the combat. At least from what I’ve seen

Last edited:

Neolombax

Really on the fence about this game. All FROM software games are intimidating to me. I have yet to finish any if their games despite buying Demons Souls, dark souls, dark souls 3, and bloodborne. It looks fantastic though.

ilver - Immortal Severance - Attained the "Immortal Severance" ending

Silver - Purification - Attained the "Purification" ending

Silver - Dragon's Homecoming - Attained the "Return" ending

Silver - Shura - Attained the "Shura" ending

4 runs?

JimiNutz

Banned
Really on the fence about this game. All FROM software games are intimidating to me. I have yet to finish any if their games despite buying Demons Souls, dark souls, dark souls 3, and bloodborne. It looks fantastic though.

I'm kind of in the same boat.
I have very limited experience with character action games. I've played Nioh and Ninja Gaiden Back, enjoyed the combat in both, but found them too difficult to make much progress in.

I also have no real experience with RPGs either, I tried to play Bloodborne, really enjoyed the combat but was too shit at the game to make it past the first boss.

I'm a sucker for Samurai and Ninja games though and I'm hoping that a more streamlined game with less emphasis on stats/character builds and combat that primarily revolves around one main weapon will make the game a little more accessible for me. I'm still expecting it to be really hard (for me) but hopefully I won't feel overwhelmed.

Lanrutcon

My main concern is that it's an action game with stealth elements. I want a stealth game with action elements. If I can't assassinate the majority of enemies in the game then..blech.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I'm kind of in the same boat.
I have very limited experience with character action games. I've played Nioh and Ninja Gaiden Back, enjoyed the combat in both, but found them too difficult to make much progress in.

I also have no real experience with RPGs either, I tried to play Bloodborne, really enjoyed the combat but was too shit at the game to make it past the first boss.

I'm a sucker for Samurai and Ninja games though and I'm hoping that a more streamlined game with less emphasis on stats/character builds and combat that primarily revolves around one main weapon will make the game a little more accessible for me. I'm still expecting it to be really hard (for me) but hopefully I won't feel overwhelmed.

I think it's all about the strength of your desire to play and get better at them. I started the series with Bloodborne knowing nothing about Souls games, but having developed a strong interest in the game before it even came out. I remember having an elaborate dream where I was playing it, and the gameplay in my dream turned out to be very similar to what the game actually played like (this was when I had only seen the earliest E3 preview video, and there were still threads online like "Will you buy The Order or Bloodborne?). It essentially burrowed its way into my psyche and became something I knew I had to devote time and effort to.

I'm still ass at some bosses I've already beaten when I go back to replay. Other times, I breeze through bosses I used to be ass at.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My main concern is that it's an action game with stealth elements. I want a stealth game with action elements. If I can't assassinate the majority of enemies in the game then..blech.
Well obviously you can’t expect to stealth kill all enemies, especially bigger ones and bosses. I guessing you can stealth kill most human enemies.

Lanrutcon

Well obviously you can’t expect to stealth kill all enemies, especially bigger ones and bosses. I guessing you can stealth kill most human enemies.

Not bosses, but everything that isn't a boss or the size of a building should be fair game. I'm hoping it works like most stealth games where you can't stealth kill large enemies until you unlock specific tech/abilities/gear later in the game.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think it's all about the strength of your desire to play and get better at them. I started the series with Bloodborne knowing nothing about Souls games, but having developed a strong interest in the game before it even came out. I remember having an elaborate dream where I was playing it, and the gameplay in my dream turned out to be very similar to what the game actually played like (this was when I had only seen the earliest E3 preview video, and there were still threads online like "Will you buy The Order or Bloodborne?). It essentially burrowed its way into my psyche and became something I knew I had to devote time and effort to.

I'm still ass at some bosses I've already beaten when I go back to replay. Other times, I breeze through bosses I used to be ass at.

Realistically I have limited time to game these days. I simply can't dedicated anywhere near as much time as I used to.

I've set aside one day off work (release date) and that weekend to really sink my teeth into the game and hopefully get my skill level proficient enough so that I can go on to complete the game.

Top Bottom