• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

T.O.P

Banned
iRdeIlJ9q9W0j.gif

So yeah, best game ever made.

so fuckin good

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Really shocked by the aliasing in the videos i have seen. I know the textuires are blatantly going to get improved, so i am not judging...But man...I just can't be hyped for this game. It looks like Call of duty 2042...Like if they had stayed with activision and moved to the future with call of duty..this is what you would get.

Its never really been my type of game tho... Will be good for loads of people and I can see it will sell well, if they manage to get the cod crowd.

Just not for me.

demolitio

Titanfall is absolutely going to result in us seeing another shooter paradigm shift. Battlefield 2144 can't be too far away now.

Which sucks because then they'll all just do that setting until it's milked dry as well. I actually wish BF would go back to WWII to return to its roots since it would benefit greatly from Frostbite 3, give us proper naval combat again along with a setting that could actually use large-scale destruction considering how common it was. Hell, I still want a game to focus on the Korean War too since it's the WWII age evolving into the modern age right in front of our eyes.

I don't mind futuristic games in moderation but we know it won't be in moderation since the FPS genre just moves on to the next setting to over-saturate.

I have high hopes for Titanfall but I really hope it doesn't start the trend. So tired of games just being followers.

Gorillaz

The one paradigm shift it will probably cause will be more traversal in FPS MP. I mean, we kind of, should have, been at that point awhile ago but glad we are starting to get there now.

Alienous

Which sucks because then they'll all just do that setting until it's milked dry as well. I actually wish BF would go back to WWII to return to its roots since it would benefit greatly from Frostbite 3, give us proper naval combat again along with a setting that could actually use large-scale destruction considering how common it was. Hell, I still want a game to focus on the Korean War too since it's the WWII age evolving into the modern age right in front of our eyes.

I don't mind futuristic games in moderation but we know it won't be in moderation since the FPS genre just moves on to the next setting to over-saturate.

I have high hopes for Titanfall but I really hope it doesn't start the trend. So tired of games just being followers.

I think that taking Battlefield back to WWII, and making the destruction more physics based and systemic, would be the right move for that series. i.e. Things falling, crashing into other things dynamically. WWII would be the perfect proving ground for that.

But, alas, I feel like we're going to get 2144. And for Call of Duty to move further into 'Future Warfare'.

The one paradigm shift it will probably cause will be more traversal in FPS MP. I mean, we kind of, should have, been at that point awhile ago but glad we are starting to get there now.

Yeah, but jetpacks come with the future territory. Crysis 2/3 had a lot of maneuverability similar to Titanfall. Killzone 3 messed around with that. 2142 did also.

Which sucks because then they'll all just do that setting until it's milked dry as well. I actually wish BF would go back to WWII to return to its roots since it would benefit greatly from Frostbite 3, give us proper naval combat again along with a setting that could actually use large-scale destruction considering how common it was.
This!
It would be so awesome if the maps are villages that before of each round get randomly destructed, so that there are always other paths to fight in. I really miss that maps in a war-shooter should look like that, and not just like a empty city with only a few destructed things in it:
savingprivateryan1.jpg

Foshy

Just watched some gameplay videos. For some reason this was never really on my radar, but now that I've seen them I'm just thinking "why no ps4 asfsfsfdadacs"

Will be there on PC day 1, however.
It's an online EA game though so maybe it would be wiser to wait until the initial issues are fixed

demolitio

I think that taking Battlefield back to WWII, and making the destruction more physics based and systemic, would be the right move for that series. i.e. Things falling, crashing into other things dynamically. WWII would be the perfect proving ground for that.

But, alas, I feel like we're going to get 2144. And for Call of Duty to move further into 'Future Warfare'.

Yeah, but jetpacks come with the future territory. Crysis 2/3 had a lot of maneuverability similar to Titanfall. Killzone 3 messed around with that. 2142 did also.

Same here. Hell, moving back to WWII for naval battles alone would be enough to sell the game to millions of people who never experienced BF1942 in its glory. I think the shift to future warfare is inevitable as well though, especially since people expect attachments and shit for their weapons which BF1944 would be light on unless they went as far as COD: World at War did.

It's why I love and hate Titanfall really (well there's many reasons). I'm so tired of some of my favorite series becoming more like COD for the mythical sales numbers (attracting COD players doesn't exactly work since they're too busy, well...playing COD since there's a new one each year with constant DLC). Titanfall can very well be the same thing and convince more games to be like it instead.

I'm more worried about balance than anything else though. It seems like there's always some bullshit in these games that will take months and months to fix or might never be fixed and the last thing I want is another game where everyone uses the same damn weapons and gear. Proper balancing makes it so they excel in some areas but suffer in others and that the maps offer a variety of engagements that take advantage of all those pros and cons. I think map design has been the weakest part of COD and I hope Respawn got some talented new level designers for Titanfall. I know SOCOM spoiled me on MP levels, but the last few IW COD games really lacked in that department.

I just hope the PC community is there unlike COD but I imaging it will be since there's only a few options this time around.

Jito

Banned
Game looks fantastic but the time to kill has me worried about the PC version. I can see myself getting popped left and right from across the map seeing as that main SMG takes you down in a couple of shots and Titans have some insta gib long range weapons. Hopefully everyone just sucks with mouse and keyboard!

Raide

Watching those videos they have a bit of that scaler thing going on.

I guess we just don't know what planned tweaks they will have or what upgrades the Pilots will have. I saw a Stim Pack mentioned for regen, so I wonder what else is planned? Kinda hoping for a Medic class. :D

Why oh Why does this game have hit markers?

Surely we have enough graphical fidelity these days to make it obvious when someone or something has been hit by bullets without strapping "easy mode" hit markers onthe crosshair?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The impression I take away from the alpha footage is that it looks a lot of fun to play, mainly due to the speed and athletics of the player character and vertical play space. Hit feedback and damage values outside of Titan-on-Titan seem very much stop-and-pop Call of Duty, which does make me wonder how high the skill ceiling can actually go, but the speed should make up for it. Titan's themselves seem like a logical evolution of the perk system, by giving perks a more fundamentally grounded and involved design wherein they become active members of the play space instead of cheap kill streak throwaways. Seems like they're balanced as they should be; dominating infantry if they catch you out in the open, but not overly buffed that they're unstoppable against mobile, clever infantry play.

My only concern so far, outside of the aforementioned potentially low skill ceiling, is just how much content the game will have. I don't care that it's lacking a single player, but for what's supposed to be the next big multiplayer and releasing soon they've done bugger all to actually promote the map diversity and whatnot. I still kinda feel I don't know much about it other than infantry that can run up walls and jetpack, Call of Duty damage model and hit feedback, big robots, and creeper bots, on the one map they've shown in everything.

These videos are making me a little more interested in the game. The maps are small, but the bots seem to be doing an okay job of keeping a frantic pace to the gameplay, if you like that. I wonder if PC players will be on the same servers as XB? This game looks like it will really be fast with a mouse.

derFeef

Why oh Why does this game have hit markers?

Surely we have enough graphical fidelity these days to make it obvious when someone or something has been hit by bullets without strapping "easy mode" hit markers onthe crosshair?

Not sure why hit markers imply easy mode? You saying Tribes, Battlefield etc. are easy mode games?

aravuus

Game looks fantastic but the time to kill has me worried about the PC version. I can see myself getting popped left and right from across the map seeing as that main SMG takes you down in a couple of shots and Titans have some insta gib long range weapons. Hopefully everyone just sucks with mouse and keyboard!

Yeah, this is the one thing I'm a bit concerned about. Fast kill times tend to be okay on console games imo since the slow controls even things out a bit, but with mouse and keyboard, things are different. The tiny kill times literally ruined Ghosts for me. Even the titans seem to go down fairly fast.

NBtoaster

I know all that, but even if they have the download less 4GB with 100% texture they'll still make the alpha with 25% textures. 100% textures will make the this alpha perform worse than it's now.

So their primary reason to do this isn't the file size but the game performance.

Texture resolution has a very small impact on performance.

Raide

if you have your titan on follow and you die, does it blow up / go away? of finds you when you respawn?

I think it finds you if you call is back upon spawning.

Also, I like the way people are starting to Sacrifice their Titans when escaping in the jumpship. They jump out, stick them on guard and make a run for it. :D

FACE

Banned
The TTK looks way too fast and the recoil looks to low.

Lower skill ceiling games tend to lose my interest quite quickly, but I'm worried about the gameplay on PC. People are too accurate with M/KB controls, driving the TTK ever lower. Not as much fun when you die instantly from across the map.

Watching some of these gameplay videos, these players are missing half a mag and then finally hitting the two or three shots required for a kill. Those kind of misses likely won't happen on PC.

Low TTK, no recoil, copious amounts of aiming down sights.

Hype demolished :(

Hasney

I've never really been hyped for an FPS before since the last one I liked was TF2 and before that Timesplitters, but the footage of this looks so fast paced that I really really want it now.

All these modern war and WW2 shooters were far too slow for me. This looks like something that could drag me into multiplayer FPS games again.

GavinGT

Banned
It's a small bite of the final game cause we're testing some tech, not gameplay. I feel badly that a lot of sites posted it like anyone could sign up, which is not the case. We certainly don't want our community to feel left out. That said, I will keep you all posted about anything beta if we decide to do one!

http://www.respawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3668&sid=a59c56f82c95556a673ca03b14dc76f9

they are just testing the servers with this

Abbie's such a tease.

Any screenshots, footage, game data and everything else in the Alpha, are owned by Respawn. If you don't have permission from Respawn to redistribute any of the above (hint: you don't :p), then you're in breach of intellectual property laws. These laws are in effect regardless of whether or not you've signed an NDA and regardless of whether you took the screenshot/video/whatever or if you're passing on something that someone else took. An analogous situation is with a pirated movie: you're still in breach of copyright laws if you download the movie, even if you weren't the one who made the pirated copy in the first place.

In short: don't redistribute anything coming from the alpha. The only thing that varies between having signed an NDA and not signed an NDA are the penalties for doing so:

* Agreed to an NDA: subject to the penalties described therein as well as the intellectual property laws of the jurisdiction in which the breach occurred unless the NDA nominates a jurisdiction under which it's governed.

* Haven't agreed to an NDA: subject to the intellectual property laws of the jurisdiction in which the breach occurred.

http://www.respawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3668&start=75

aravuus

Low TTK, no recoil, copious amounts of aiming down sights.

Hype demolished :(

ADS is the other thing I'm not sure about, yeah. The game seems so fast-paced with it's walljumping and all that jazz that ADS should be left out completely.

Hope there's a PC beta too, so I'll get to see if I actually like the game or not. Currently not very hyped.

Not sure why hit markers imply easy mode? You saying Tribes, Battlefield etc. are easy mode games?

I think they are made to make the game easier for people who lack audio visual sensory or something.

If your game has graphics and, even in some ways, sound you should be able to tell when you are hitting someone without the game telling you in such an overt easy way.

Plus, it bring s all the problems of people firing at things and waiting for their hit markers to tell them if they hit or not.. thereby defeating the purpose of camouflage, subterfuge, and ammo conservation,

THere are sooo many problems with hit markers in lots of genres.

I think they are made to make the game easier for people who lack audio visual sensory or something.

If your game has graphics and, even in some ways, sound you should be able to tell when you are hitting someone without the game telling you in such an overt easy way.

Plus, it bring s all the problems of people firing at things and waiting for their hit markers to tell them if they hit or not.. thereby defeating the purpose of camouflage, subterfuge, and ammo conservation,

THere are sooo many problems with hit markers in lots of genres.

So you are saying that the game will be too easy for you?

Based on the footage i have seen this looks great, but I do hope they at least get rid of the lockon warning hit marker , already seems stacked against anti Titan guys, but the Titan then knowing the exact direction a target is locking on from seems abut unfair.

Maybe there is a perk to hide lockon markers when targeting titans.

I also didn't notice any Marvin's and hacking , is that in the alpha?

Somax

Hard to judge from those random videos, but I dig the titan gameplay much more than the basic infantry gameplay. Need to try it firsthand to have a better opinion, however.

E92 M3

I think it finds you if you call is back upon spawning.

Also, I like the way people are starting to Sacrifice their Titans when escaping in the jumpship. They jump out, stick them on guard and make a run for it. :D

What are the differences between Guard Mode and Follow? Besides the obvious.

Raide

Based on the footage i have seen this looks great, but I do hope they at least get rid of the lockon warning hit marker , already seems stacked against anti Titan guys, but the Titan then knowing the exact direction a target is locking on from seems abut unfair.

Maybe there is a perk to hide lockon markers when targeting titans.

I also didn't notice any Marvin's and hacking , is that in the alpha?

Close range you can use Amp Grenades (Seems to fry the systems for a while) and then lock-on with Rockets. Also, we have hardly seen any of the other weapons or abilities for the Anti-Titan stuff. It seems really hard to concentrate on dodging a Titan as well as keeping an eye on Pilots trying to rodeo you. :D

What are the differences between Guard Mode and Follow? Besides the obvious.

Guard holds its place (Use them as decoys since pilots might not notice the Auto-Titan pop up), Follow follows you but obviously not into small buildings. It will engage enemies and you get the Titan Assist for it. It waits around until you either get in, or it explodes because of loneliness.

Top Bottom