• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extended or Directors Cut better than the Theatrical Cut?

Killua

Pearl harbor Director's Cut was better than Theatrical. I mean it's still a bad script but the R rated war violence improved the movie.

Mel Gibson's payback was really improved with Director's Cut. It's a lot darker and grittier than the theatrical.

I've been wanting to see the directors cut of Kingdom of heaven. I've only heard great things about it. I saw the original in the theaters and thought it was mediocre. But I hear the director's cut is a great movie.

I love the extented Lord of the rings trilogy. I thought they made already fantastic films even better.

The extended cut of Suicide Squad is the only way to see the movie. The theatrical version movie was butchered to hell and back. There were scenes from the promotional material that didn't make it into the theatrical version.

tomtom94

The extended cut of Suicide Squad is the only way to see the movie. The theatrical version movie was butchered to hell and back. There were scenes from the promotional material that didn't make it into the theatrical version.

Aren't there scenes from the promotional material that are missing from the extended cut as well?

Even though it is still not that great of a movie the Daredevil Directors Cut adds a subplot and more context to stuff in the movie which makes it much more watchable.

jett

D-Member
I don't know why WB keeps messing with Zack Snyder's movies. His director's cuts are always superior and are the way the movies were meant to be seen.

Because the guy insists on making three-hour comic book movies. R-rated three-hour comic book movies, no less.

geomon

The unrated version of Bad Santa is much better. Although I hear there's another Director's Cut version that's different, I haven't seen it.

Now that I'm thinking more about some of the films I own, I'm adding to my previous post:

Basic Instinct: Unrated Director's Cut
Conan the Barbarian: International Version
Legend: Director's Cut
Star Trek: The Motion Picture: The Director's Edition

Steejee

Does the extended cut also re-order the bulk of the first half of the movie? The first 45 minutes or so is a complete mess. The rest isn't very good either, but would at least be passable if the start hadn't been so poorly paced and edited.

On LOTR, Two Towers is the only Extended cut that really matters. Fellowship's additions are nice, but a lot of them just feel like shout outs for people that had read the books. Two Towers feels like they cut out a few pieces of meat. Too bad they couldn't do anything about the added battle against the warg riders. RotK was a mix - Mouth of Sauramon should have been in, but a lot of the other stuff was kinda unnecessary. As a fan of the books and movies I'll gladly watch all three extended though.

Aliens I just miss the turret scene in theatrical cut. The Hadley's Hope intro is neat but works better as supplementary material than as a part of the actual movie IMO.

CloudWolf

Kingdom of Heaven DC, Blade Runner Final Cut and LotR EE's are the only way to watch those films. Usually a Director's Cut is just a nice extra though, a bad movie doesn't suddenly become good and a good movie doesn't suddenly become bad (with the sole exception of Donnie Darko, which was butchered in the DC).

But why would someone want to watch Suicide Squad?

On LOTR, Two Towers is the only Extended cut that really matters. Fellowship's additions are nice, but a lot of them just feel like shout outs for people that had read the books. Two Towers feels like they cut out a few pieces of meat. Too bad they couldn't do anything about the added battle against the warg riders. RotK was a mix - Mouth of Sauramon should have been in, but a lot of the other stuff was kinda unnecessary. As a fan of the books and movies I'll gladly watch all three extended though.

Wait, you'd consider the Mouth of Sauron scene vital, but not Saruman's scene?

Right off the bat INXS ("Never tear us apart") is played instead of Echo and the Bunnymen ("The Killing Moon").

There are a few more, but that one is just a terrible change when it worked so perfectly before.

Probably already corrected, but you're confusing the Donnie Darko DC with the Donnie Brasco DC.

ZeroCDR

Haven't seen these mentioned yet:

The Wolverine - Existing action scenes are made more violent, and they restore a big action sequence towards the end of the film which helps boost the lackluster finale of the theatrical version.

X-Men: Days of Future Past - Maybe not a popular extended version, but I loved the additions except for the Mystique stuff. My preferred version for sure.

Not sure if mentioned already in this thread but the DC of The Abyss adds some really important stuff and almost changes the entire movie. It's miles better than the theatrical version and I say that as someone who loves the theatrical version. Aliens DC also has some pretty cool scenes that flesh our the colony before the aliens attack it

Swass

Mel Gibson's payback was really improved with Director's Cut. It's a lot darker and grittier than the theatrical.

I personally preferred the theatrical.. didn't like the complete removal of Kris Kristofferson.. or maybe I'm thinking of the Straight Up Edition.. anyway saw all 3 versions and theatrical is my fave.. but I saw it first.. not sure if that is the reason. One of my favorite movies of all time though!

Korigama

Though I believe that extended (Aliens) or director's cuts (Blade Runner: The Final Cut) can improve can improve the quality of a movie that's already good, they can still be downgrades from a film's theatrical cut (Terminator 2) and don't really help movies that were already bad as a result of core issues that existed with them (Alien 3 and Batman v. Superman).

The 40 Year Old Virgin has some great comedic moments added to it's Unrated version, and the special features are good, too.

I am surprised to see so much love for Kingdom of Heaven's director's cut. I remember seeing that in theaters and thinking it was awful trash. I'll have to peep the director's cut some time.

-shadow-

The crow: city of angels is the one im pining for.

Wow I completely forgot about this film! I absolutely adore the product that isn't in this case and the fan edit that added a bunch of low quality clips and stills throughout is terrific. I truly hope that some day they'll give Tim Pope a shot at an actual Director's Cut instead of what they released.

Aren't there scenes from the promotional material that are missing from the extended cut as well?

Yeah, and even better is that they even promoted the extended cut with those very missing scenes once again after the theatrical release. WB knows how to promote something in the most dishonest way!

Briarios

It's been mentioned, but The Abyss is million times better in the extended edition, as you get way more Geo political context along with more character development

watchmenblu.jpg

God, no. Way too long, even more comically gratuitous fight sequences, terrible pacing. Including every additional little piece of the book that they cut was not the way to fix this movie.

Cranster

Banned
Halloween 6 The Producers Cut.

halloween-6-producers-cut.jpg

No flash cuts and it is a more coherent version. It's also the closest cut to Daniel Farrands original vision.

No-one should watch the theatrical cut of Dark City. It takes the mystery of the movie and literally explains it in an opening narration because they were worried the audience would be confused

I watched this the first time on tv and missed the first few minutes, tuning in just as we wakes in the bathroom. Loved the movie and rented it soon after and was like "What the hell they give away the whole movie"

Cormano

Bunping this, i just saw the Martian extended edition, it adds some stuff that was in the book, but cut in the theatrical cut. Dont know if like more or not, but still a good movie, either version is fine with me.

Ghostbusters: Answer the Call

It's still not a perfect movie, but holy shit does the Extended Cut take a giant crap on the Theatrical version. There's entire characters, plot lines, and important story beats that were totally scrapped due to Sony's ridiculous mandate of keeping the movie under 2 hours at all costs. (For reference I think the EC is 2h8m, oh the horror).

There are a couple jokes they switch out that aren't nearly as good as their Theatrical Cut counterparts but otherwise, if you're ever going to watch the 2016 Ghostbusters movie you need to find a way to watch the Extended Cut. Even as someone who really liked the Theatrical Cut, once I saw the EC I was like "Why in the fuck did they even bother releasing the TC at all"

Cormano

Ghostbusters: Answer the Call

It's still not a perfect movie, but holy shit does the Extended Cut take a giant crap on the Theatrical version. There's entire characters, plot lines, and important story beats that were totally scrapped due to Sony's ridiculous mandate of keeping the movie under 2 hours at all costs. (For reference I think the EC is 2h8m, oh the horror).

There are a couple jokes they switch out that aren't nearly as good as their Theatrical Cut counterparts but otherwise, if you're ever going to watch the 2016 Ghostbusters movie you need to find a way to watch the Extended Cut. Even as someone who really liked the Theatrical Cut, once I saw the EC I was like "Why in the fuck did they even bother releasing the TC at all"

Cant believe you actually watched this more than once.

Top Bottom