• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extended trailer for HBO's Westworld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
And they passed on Fincher's Utopia. IIRC the drama department over there just got a shakeup so I'd expect them to coast on Thrones and pray Westworld is a hit while trying to come up with the next thing.

As much as a I am interested in Westworld, I just really can't imagine it being that next flagship HBO show like Sopranos, True Blood or GoT.

...Then again I never imagined GoT would become the hit it has become so what the fuck do I know lol.

Looks amazing. Can't even contain my excitement. A sci-fi show with a cast and creators of this caliber being shown on HBO? Sign me the fuck up.

On a side note I'm hopeful HBO will eventually get their shit together and put out some quality hour longs in the next year or so. They can't afford to coast too much with Netflix breathing down their neck and they've shown consistently over the last 15 years that while they have slumps you can always depend on them to push through them.

Now just give me my Deadwood mini series

Jonm1010

Banned
iceblade997;215296851 According to [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_HBO#Future_programming" said:
Wikipedia[/URL] they have something by Alan Ball (unnamed as of yet), then 4 shows in development. Also The Young Pope is coming out next year and is airing in Europe at the moment if memory serves.

They also released a quick video of other stuff they're going to be airing next year. It seems like there is quite a lot of stuff on the horizon but for now it might be a bit weak, and of course who knows how the stuff they release next year will be received. I agree with you, though: not picking up American Gods seems like it might've been a bad idea, and (personally speaking) more in the way of dramas a la The Sopranos would be real nice. Hopefully Westworld is the start of bigger things and a solid lineup for once GoT finishes.

Yeah, I am now curious what that Alan Ball project is now that you brought my attention to it. But looking at that list, outside of the miniseries, there isn't a whole lot that is jumping out at me.

I wonder whatever happened to I, Claudius?

Though frankly, if I were HBO, I would drop a pallet of money at Matthew Weiner's door and tell him they will fast track whatever he wants to do next. Maybe see if David Milch has any ideas for another historical drama. And I will always welcome a new gangster genre show by HBO.

Jonm1010

Banned
Looks amazing. Can't even contain my excitement. A sci-fi show with a cast and creators of this caliber being shown on HBO? Sign me the fuck up.

On a side note I'm hopeful HBO will eventually get their shit together and put out some quality hour longs in the next year or so. They can't afford to coast too much with Netflix breathing down their neck and they've shown consistently over the last 15 years that while they have slumps you can always depend on them to push through them.

Now just give me my Deadwood mini series

Thankfully a movie seems like it is at least somewhat likely at this point: http://collider.com/deadwood-movie-update/

Milch also probably has a lot of motivation given his recent financial issues. Would love to see it grow into a miniseries.

And yeah, this show oozes with potential. It will be a shame if it isn't a Drama of they year candidate with all the talent on both sides of the camera.

Moff

so you have the technology to build perfect robots and you use them for... a theme park?

reminds me of this picture somehow
Imgur-1cf6f7.png

Jonm1010

Banned
so you have the technology to build perfect robots and you use them for... a theme park?

reminds me of this picture somehow

Honestly I know nothing of the source material other then whats in the trailers - and while I don't think this is how such tech will actually first manifest IRL - the idea doesn't seem that far fetched.

The money that could be made from something like this off the ultra rich would be enormous.

I mean just imagine how much Donald Trump would pay to have a simulation featuring his daughter's A.I. lookalike?

DiscoJer

Well, they aren't really perfect robots. They have to constantly be monitored and go through maintenance every night. At least in the original movie.

FTF

Yup, looks awesome. Can't wait. The only negative being it's on Sunday nights during football season. Looks like I'll be dvr'ing it or watching some a day or two after on Go.

duckroll

Holy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Even if the writing doesn't deliver (I sure hope it does), the visuals are going to make this something worth watching. And goddamn, Hopkins actually putting in work here.

Alienware

Still kind of worried of what might turn out as the biggest disappointment ever, but that trailer looks damn amazing. The visual side of it is gorgeous, that aspect surely looks settled enough.

S1kkZ

i get some heavy ghost in the shell vibes from the "lab" scenes, where they seem to create the androids. which is fucking awesome.

pa22word

the-day-i-discovered-masterbation--42351.gif

moar

i need moar

i'm not sure if suffering through the night of was worth waiting on this, but my god am i hyped for this

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Stunning.

Just stunning.

Westword was pretty much a product of its time, but I hope HBO can adapt it as respectfully as it looks.

You can count me as subbed to the OT as soon as it's made.

Hopefully that's what actually happened and not just PR. Normally when a TV show stops production it means something very bad is going on behind the scenes, since you've got an entire crew on contract being paid to do nothing.

They had to reshoot almost the entirety of Game of Thrones pilot because it was so bad and the end result was great.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
not interested in seeing any more trailers for this show - i'm already sold and will be watching it unfold day 1

I know next to nothing about Westworld, but have been seeing the same trailer for what seems like a year now. And it looks like it may end up being great.

Plus, Evan Rachel Wood is great eye candy.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I know next to nothing about Westworld, but have been seeing the same trailer for what seems like a year now. And it looks like it may end up being great.

Plus, Evan Rachel Wood is great eye candy.

She's almost distracting for me.

I'm in for Hopkins and Harris owning the hell out of their scenes, but ERW being in this just makes it even more appealing for me.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
so this is going to be the best thing ever or the worst right? I don't see a middle ground for this.

it's also been coming out for AAAGES. looking forward to it!

reKon

Banned
It's much likely that this ends up being successful rather than a failure. Look at the people behind this. #InNolanWeTrust... the other one...

I've seen the original movie, and it's one of the Sci-Fi classics.

I think HBO honestly picked this up though because it's essentially Deadwood IN SPAAAAACE.

I'm getting some mad OG Syndicate vibes from the android making machine, by the way

JrhSKoF.gif

oHmWOTK.gif

unless this was also in the westworld movie then this is just blatantly ripping off the game, i hope they acknowledge the reference in the credits or something.

but god damn does it look fantastic in that westworld clip. that is just a striking image.

edit: actually i dunno it could be coincidence. both seem influenced by the vitruvian man.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
edit: actually i dunno it could be coincidence. both seem influenced by the vitruvian man.

More likely inspiration for both

leonardo.jpg

Edit: yeah, Discotheque, beat me to it

It is, at least Syndicate's. The Agent Vitality Unit is also called the Leonardo. I wouldn't be surprised if Westworld's designers were influenced by it. It's a bit of a striking coincidence from a visual and thematic perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom