• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extended trailer for HBO's Westworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting some mad OG Syndicate vibes from the android making machine, by the way

JrhSKoF.gif

oHmWOTK.gif

At least they left out the googly eyes

- EW digs into the Westworld shutdown earlier this year
Joy more recently added to us that, “It’s a really complex interlocking story. We knew where we wanted to go and we knew exactly how the season ended where the kind of character arcs ended, but weaving those scripts and writing the dialogue for all these brilliant actors, it takes time.”

The Westworld team was determined to address another pressing issue during their break, as well. It turns out, producers wanted to firm up their master plan for the entire series – all the way to the show’s eventual finale – and lay that groundwork in the first season. That should be quite reassuring to fans of complex, mythology-driven TV shows, which have a spotty record of longterm narrative coherence.

“It wasn’t about getting the first 10 [episodes] done, it was about mapping out what the next 5 or 6 years are going to be,” Westworld actor James Marsden says. “We wanted everything in line so that when the very last episode airs and we have our show finale, five or seven years down the line, we knew how it was going to end the first season – that’s the way Jonah and [executive producer J.J. Abrams] operate. They’re making sure all the ducks are in the row. And it’s a testament to Jonah and Lisa and HBO that we got them right, especially the last three scripts. They could have rushed them and get spread too thin. They got them right, and when they were right, we went and shot them.”

Which isn’t to say the producers didn’t have some clear ideas about where the show was going from the very beginning. Nolan says they told HBO a rough plan for the first three or four seasons when they pitched the show. “I always feel like you want to have a sense,” Nolan says.
The Dark Knight writer also gave a tease about what future Westworld seasons would look like – or rather, wouldn’t look like. “We didn’t want to have a story that repeated itself [each year],” he says. “We didn’t want the Fantasy Island version of this [where new guests arrive at the park every season]. We wanted a big story. We wanted the story of the origin of a new species and how that would play out in its complexity.”

So the big takeaway, several castmembers and producers tell us, is that making Westworld was highly difficult, but for all the right reasons. “The greatest work never comes easy and, in my opinion, that’s what we were dealing with,” Marsden says. “This show is very ambitious and grand in scale and in themes and very expensive with a giant cast. And bigger than all of that is what this show wants to say.”
More via the link.

berzeli

Banned
Westworld first-look review – move over Game of Thrones! It's cowboy time (The Guardian)
It's rather light. But still the first review (of sorts) out there.
...for those of us who just like story – lots and lots of story! – Westworld will hit the spot as hard as GoT ever did. Gosh, there’s a lot going on. There’s the real world full of robot-wranglers, some of whom are jostling for position inside whatever just-possibly-malevolent company owns the park, others of whom are busy tinkering with their charges’ software and trying to decide whether to make the skinjobs more realistic or quit while they’re ahead.

Unfortunately the show does seem to have an issue with women. Which shouldn't come as a surprise between the trailers, and the incredibly feeble response to the question about the violence against women (and sexualisation of said violence) on display.
(I am not yet sure what female visitors to the theme park get out of it. There is of course a brothel filled with ladybots for the men, but straight women have only Liz Lemon’s “little elf prince” James Marsden to look at so far, and he’s in love with Dolores, who – well, we’ll get to that.)
Dolores, played by Evan Rachel Wood, is a non-brothel bot (so far the only non-prostitute female we’ve seen, but I guess you only need one good girl per town/multi-million dollar show, right?) who looks young but is in fact the oldest host in the park

IGN reviewed the pilot as well.

Westworld makes a big impression with its first episode. From its standout cast to its excellent visuals to one hell of a hummable score by the great Ramin Djawadi (the composer of Game of Thrones and Person of Interest), this is top-notch television in every respect. The juxtaposition of life inside Westworld and life for those who are creating Westworld allows for an excellent entry point into the show, allowing us to invest with these artificial life forms from the start, while getting to also see the motivations of those behind-the-scenes.

Some of those reviews are effusive with their praise. I can't wait. Especially excited to hear that the production halt was to work out the end of the series. This show is going to blow up, I have a feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom