• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld Season 2 |OT| Through 'The Maze' we reach 'The Door'

DKehoe

Yeah after I saw that I came up with some theories.

I'm really loving the series so far for the small pieces of the greater puzzle.

Here is what I am thinking is going on.

Westworld and the entire park is on a different planet. I think it would be a fair assumption that given the technology level the hosts themselves represent that man kind has achieved space travel to some extent. I started thinking this is the last Episode where you see basically a Mt.Fugi. Now it can't be the actual Mt.Fugi because it is right next to Westworld which given it's landscape doesn't exist on Earths Japan.

A few more pieces of evidence that are making this theory stronger for me is that in the first season you hear the parks employees mention their 6 month rotations, which is oddly long for even a super sized park to have if they are still located somewhere on Earth. Would make sense if that is how long the space travel time was though, even though six months given our current standards of space travel isn't very far, would make sense to a civilization that had achieved warp travel or something similar.

Another one was the extraction of the information, we heard in the first season that one of the hosts was trying to link to a satellite, which to me is a bit overkill when you could send in an agent and physically extract it if you killed a host and hacked their mind in a hidden part of the park. The use of the satellite makes more sense to me if it were another planet the park was located.

Lastly is the lack of the response from the public over attendees being killed? We know Davos is trying to cover things up and take care of it internally but given how hard things are to cover up given nowadays standards I can't even imagine would it would be like in the future. It wouldn't be hard though if you had time before any outside information on the issue took months to transmit through space.

Also did you ever notice that the entrance to the beginning of a park is at a train terminal? Not like a standard entrance we see nowadays at our parks. I think this train terminal directly leads from the space/airport tarmac directly to the park as one unit.

There are a few other things but for the sake of not turning it into a novel, this is what I think is going on. It's probably a bad theory that will get shredded here in a few posts but hey it's still fun.

In the first season 2 episode don’t they strongly imply that it’s on an island in the South China Sea? The Delos guys mention something about the mainland to a Chinese military guy.

LordPezix

In the first season 2 episode don’t they strongly imply that it’s on an island in the South China Sea? The Delos guys mention something about the mainland to a Chinese military guy.

You know its been so long since Ive seen that episode and I normally watch the show when I am high so you very well could be right. I'll rewatch the episode tonight to see if it comes up. Thanks for looking out man!

DKehoe

You know its been so long since Ive seen that episode and I normally watch the show when I am high so you very well could be right. I'll rewatch the episode tonight to see if it comes up. Thanks for looking out man!

If it's not the first one this season then it's one of the early ones.

bitbydeath

Well I managed to get through it all. It picked up on the last episode. But I don’t think I’ll come back for a third season.

MIB saving that mexican family and the episode with the indians were the only good parts of season 2.

This was a chore to watch which is a shame because i loved season 1

Grinchy

Banned
This season was such a complete mess. I can't believe I watched it all. I'm angry that I spent my time this way.

They took a paper-thin plot and stretched it out as far as they could because they knew there'd be a season 3. Full episodes where nothing happens, conversations that take 6 minutes because every slowly-spoken sentence has to end with a 20 second dramatic pause, ect. It was all filler nonsense with some small crumbs of competence peppered in. Did they completely change up the writing staff? What the hell happened to create this monstrosity?

Jmarshall

Season 2 was flawed, it wasn't a disaster, The Show remains one of the better pieces of television available right now to the English speaking world.

Yes, all criticisms about the pace and stretched out plot are entirely valid, but it still dives deep into the questions of consciousness and free will to a wonderful backdrop of acting and cinematography, while engaging us with characters like Bernard and Teddy and Charlotte Hale.

Grinchy

Banned
The best thing about free will is that I can choose to never waste another second of my life watching this pretentious attempt at a quality series.

Season 2 is such a disappointment. And I was so excited for the start of it.

Its so bad it actually makes me think less of Season 1.

Unless things drastically improve I am not coming back for a season 3.

bitbydeath

The Show remains one of the better pieces of television available right now to the English speaking world.

I disagree. Even Fear the Walking Dead had a better season than this and that show is notorious for its bad writing.

Season 1 was fantastically written and they couldn’t even skate on that.

I can’t believe how badly they butchered Delores character. She went from a fan fav to absolute gutter trash that should be removed from the show.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Have to agree with the consensus here. The show feels like a bit of a mess at this juncture. Honestly, it seems to me that Nolan and Joy might have some neat ideas conceptually, but they need someone else in the writer's room to actually knock the story into shape because they're terrible at tempering their storytelling into something that is cohesive, comprehensive and well rounded. I enjoyed season 1 despite its problems because I saw great potential for the subject matter, but despite some good episodes and performances, I'm kind of left cold with season 2 as a whole.

There are far too many ridiculous aspects to go in-depth on, but I'll outline a few that spring to mind. Angela's entire plan to destroy the cradle, was to sweet talk a guard whilst bleeding out into getting close so she could let off his grenades....(you had one job guard..one job...shoot the hosts...), Aketcheta apparently being able to walk around the entire complex and find his way down to cold storage and back without anyone on staff noticing at all... plus Aketcheta not being updated in nine years......MiB being a goddamn bullet sponge throughout the entire season......Shogun world.........what a waste of good actors....

Top Bottom