• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. on PS3 at launch

StephaneC

Sorry in french

PARIS – (17 Août 2006) – Sierra Entertainment, une division de Vivendi Games, annonce aujourd’hui que le jeu de tir primé F.E.A.R.™ (First Encounter Assault Recon), est en développement sur PlayStation®3 et prévu pour un lancement au mois de novembre 2006.

Après un succès déjà confirmé sur PC, autant critique que commercial, F.E.A.R. amènera la PlayStation 3 à un nouveau niveau de jeu en matière de « First Person Shooter », grâce à son contenu solo exclusif, conçu pour emmener le joueur plus profondément dans le monde de l’équipe F.E.A.R., et son action « viscérale » concernant sa partie multi-joueurs.

Développé par Day 1 Studios en coopération avec Monolith Productions, F.E.A.R est un thriller paranormal dont l’action est entièrement représentée à la première personne. Une décharge d’adrénaline sans précédent, mêlant le combat rapproché en environnement clos et les sueurs froides d’un inconnu paranormal à glacer le sang.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

november 2006 in europe
exclusive content ?

Amir0x

Banned
Hahaha, so CVG finally got an exclusive right for once. Not that it was any surprise, this was expected :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nice, another launch title I guess.

But I'm so not getting this with multiplayer free on the PC side. Unless there's lots of nice new content :p

Jim

Another launch title? shesh... I'd expect more of these announcements pretty much from this week on.

StephaneC said:
Sorry in french

PARIS – (17 Août 2006) – Sierra Entertainment, une division de Vivendi Games, annonce aujourd’hui que le jeu de tir primé F.E.A.R.™ (First Encounter Assault Recon), est en développement sur PlayStation®3 et prévu pour un lancement au mois de novembre 2006.

Après un succès déjà confirmé sur PC, autant critique que commercial, F.E.A.R. amènera la PlayStation 3 à un nouveau niveau de jeu en matière de « First Person Shooter », grâce à son contenu solo exclusif, conçu pour emmener le joueur plus profondément dans le monde de l’équipe F.E.A.R., et son action « viscérale » concernant sa partie multi-joueurs.

Développé par Day 1 Studios en coopération avec Monolith Productions, F.E.A.R est un thriller paranormal dont l’action est entièrement représentée à la première personne. Une décharge d’adrénaline sans précédent, mêlant le combat rapproché en environnement clos et les sueurs froides d’un inconnu paranormal à glacer le sang.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

november 2006 in europe
exclusive content ?

Well, I hope it's not super-rushed for launch (which it probably will be).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
typo said:
Well, I hope it's not super-rushed for launch (which it probably will be).

It's not like they're starting development today ;) This is one of those announcements some were expecting at E3..for some reason companies chose to sit on them.

gofreak said:
It's not like they're starting development today ;) This is one of those announcements some were expecting at E3..for some reason companies chose to sit on them.

Probably so they can push bone with the media / people's attention while there is absolutely no news. Makes sense.

GeoramA

Now all PS3 needs is Condemned at launch. Resistance, F.E.A.R, and Condemned...that's a lot of horror in the first person point of view.

Yeah Condemned looks too awesome, it just oozes atmosphere. It was coming to PC, was it cancelled?? I really want to beat up some hobos.

I heard the port was being handeled by another developer and not Monolith. Is that true? Anyway good news for PS3 sparks lovers

don't be surprised if it runs and looks better on xbox 360 due to the tech having had more time to mature on the system. don't be surprised if fanboys hold the two versions alongside each other and make fanboyish comments about the two systems.

in the real world though, this is good news for people who can only afford either a ps3 or an xbox 360 and don't have a high end pc. hopefully it'll run better than condemned did at launch on the 360.

Mmmkay

TheKingsCrown said:
Probably so they can push bone with the media / people's attention while there is absolutely no news. Makes sense.
I think it's yet another example of the current trend of console exclusive 'announcements'.

snatches

The PS3 version will feature an exclusive lack of rumble support.

No rly, I bet it might have some tilt function to do with the new controller.

snatches

StephaneC said:
there is a difference between rumour and official PR :p

Yes, one comes startlingly later than the other. When Vivendi puts it on my release schedule, I call that official.

=p

Majmun

snatches said:
Yes, one comes startlingly later than the other. When Vivendi puts it on my release schedule, I call that official.

=p

So...there will also be a Oblivion announcement for the Ps3 pretty soon too? :D

Btw...

It bugs me why they aren't doing this official announcement in English. Is there also a link for this announcement?

Jim

North American Press Release:

PlayStation 3 Owners to Experience F.E.A.R.(TM)

Critically Acclaimed FPS Set to Launch - November 2006.

LOS ANGELES, Aug. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Sierra Entertainment, a division of Vivendi Games, today announced that the award-winning F.E.A.R.(TM) (First Encounter Assault Recon), is currently in development for the PlayStation(R)3 computer entertainment system and is scheduled to launch during November 2006.

Already a critical and commercial smash on the PC, F.E.A.R. will bring a new level of FPS game play to PlayStation 3 with exclusive single player content designed to immerse the player deeper in the world of the F.E.A.R. team, as well as the visceral action of F.E.A.R. multi-player.

Developed by Day 1 Studios in conjunction with Monolith Productions, F.E.A.R is a paranormal action thriller presented entirely in first person. An unprecedented adrenaline rush of close quarters combat seamlessly melded with the spine-tingling, shocking intensity of the paranormal unknown.

To get more information on F.E.A.R. please visit www.whatisfear.com.
F.E.A.R. will ship for PlayStation 3 during November 2006.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If you have the muscle I'd preemptively suggest you to get the free multiplayer download for the PC. The action is WAY fast for any gamepad unless they fix the aiming to ludicrous levels.

Looking forward the lighting improvements in the console versions, BTW.

Mmmkay

Doom_Bringer said:
wow something is wrong here. What's up with the vaseline filter?
My guess, it's because they're analog captures, rather than digital framebuffer copies. Either way she don't look too pretty.

Proelite

My guess is that they won't be taking advantage of the spe. They're using the ppe only for the AI, and physics. It's a port and, as pc developers, they wouldn't even attempt to fine tune it for the spes. With only the ppe + the rsx, you won't get better performance than a p4+ 6800 gt. Bottomline? It's a rushed port using an engine that's not suited for the cell, just as Doom III is not suited for the 360's tri-cores.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mrbob said:
I have a feeling all PS3 FPS launch titles will get overshadowed by Resistance.

Well, unless HL2 makes it out this year (which is a bit of an if, I guess). At least there isn't a dearth of them!

Proelite

How is the 360 version in comparison? I've never seen media for that one, except in the interview they said it was gettin hdr.

compared to some x360 shots:

fear-20060802011340741.jpg

ps3
fear-unofficial-20060817003719673.jpg

fear-20060802011339820.jpg

ps3
fear-unofficial-20060817003716423.jpg

kinda weird....360 looks more crisp. could it be the 4xAA of the ps3 at work?

Dunpeal

Banned
Proelite said:
How is the 360 version in comparison? I've never seen media for that one, except in the interview they said it was gettin hdr.

I saw a movie, and it looked as good as the PC version(Stuff turned on and shiz). And it was running really really well.

snatches

Doom_Bringer said:
I have a feeling that those Half Life 2 games will suck on consoles. Valve really didn't do a decent job with HL2 Xbox...

They did a fantastic job getting that game to run on Xbox specs....HL2 prerequisites should be no problem at all for 360/PS3, and Valve are definitely more than competent coders.

Top Bottom