• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. on PS3 at launch

Proelite said:
How is the 360 version in comparison? I've never seen media for that one, except in the interview they said it was gettin hdr.

IGN's got some HD vids.....looks good with the added HDR, but I hate the ALL black shadows.

Majmun

Ps3 screens look like an old build of the PC version. :lol

I bet they posted the wrong media or something. It surely can't look that bad... :/

it's a port of an engine not designed around the ps3 to the ps3. f.e.a.r. on the 360 is using tech that's had plenty of time to mature on the system and was, I think but don't know, partly designed around the 360's specs in the first place (see Condemned).

just as you shouldn't have expected quake 4 to turn out all that well on the 360, you shouldn't expect a launch title port like this to look that hot either.

in comparison the 360 version is looking very nice. like the PC version on high (without soft shadows though) + HDR and FSAA. but that's to be expected given that it's a more mature engine on the 360.

Mmmkay

Second said:
Ps3 screens look like an old build of the PC version. :lol

I bet they posted the wrong media or something. It surely can't look that bad... :/
It has probably only just hit alpha like pretty much every PS3 launch windowy title.

Proelite

plagiarize said:
it's a port of an engine not designed around the ps3 to the ps3. f.e.a.r. on the 360 is using tech that's had plenty of time to mature on the system and was, I think but don't know, partly designed around the 360's specs in the first place (see Condemned).

just as you shouldn't have expected quake 4 to turn out all that well on the 360, you shouldn't expect a launch title port like this to look that hot either.

in comparison the 360 version is looking very nice. like the PC version on high (without soft shadows though) + HDR and FSAA. but that's to be expected given that it's a more mature engine on the 360.

PPE + RSX is only a fraction of the ps3's power, and that's what FEAR is using. It's pretty obvious that Xenon+Xenos >>> PPE + RSX, and these screens show it.

plagiarize said:

thanks for the info! Are you porting the game or something?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Proelite said:
PPE + RSX is only a fraction of the ps3's power, and that's what fear is using.

For starters, FEAR uses Havok. Havok on PS3 scales from 1 to 4 SPEs. The chances of FEAR thusly not using SPEs is slim to none. Even if Day 1's own code does not touch the SPEs, that of their middleware should.

Please refrain from the fuzzy "this plus this equals this" math too.

Jim

Funky Papa said:
That's no FSAA, just some disgusting filter at work.

Looks like screen capture shots as opposed to buffer dumps screens. The edges are WAY too soft, even if they were using 4x AA and a nasty filter.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Jim said:
Looks like screen capture shots as opposed to buffer dumps screens. The edges are WAY too soft, even if they were using 4x AA and a nasty filter.
Could be. It certainly looks way too soft.

Proelite said:
PPE + RSX is only a fraction of the ps3's power, and that's what FEAR is using. It's pretty obvious that Xenon+Xenos >>> PPE + RSX, and these screens show it.
that's pretty much what i was trying to say. whether ps3 is more powerful than the 360 or not, i'd expect this to look better on 360 purely because the tech has had a year longer to mature on the system, thanks to Condemned and the early launch of the 360.

comparing the way these screens look to the pc and 360 versions and trying to draw any conclusions about the comparitive power of the system is as silly as the people that were comparing Prey on PC and 360 and doing the same.

it's a port. a launch port at that. if it has some decent exclusive content, that might save it, otherwise it's just nice for people who'll only have a PS3.

but that's no bad thing. F.E.A.R. was a great game, and if the controls are tight it'd still be fun with mid spec pc level graphics.

Mmmkay

RaijinFY said:
Textures and all are missing... early build. What's the point of showing this?
Because even if the PS3 was an apocalyptic toaster, the PR department of the game's publisher would still ask for screenshots.

Razoric

Banned
inthezone said:
Horror games at launch FTW!!!

PS3 Oblivion announcement is this week too!

PS3 Oblivion shot:
Morrowind04.jpg

:lol

Doom_Bringer said:
thanks for the info! Are you porting the game or something?
no i'm not :p

i'm just someone who likes monolith's stuff. all you really need to do is compare how Condemned ran a year ago with how F.E.A.R. is running on 360 now to see how much difference a year makes. not only has the choppy frame rate gone, but you'll see better textures, a game running at close to the highest settings available on the PC that's had HDR thrown in on top of that.

there's no way that F.E.A.R. will look as bad as these shots do running on the PS3, and there's no way it'll run the same as condemned did either. but i think it's pretty likely that it won't run as well as the 360 version (but i'm not saying that's impossible either, just unlikely given that it's a port heading to the system at launch).

honestly, if you're using a port to compare the power of two systems then you don't really understand what you're doing.

Chiggs

plagiarize said:
honestly, if you're using a port to compare the power of two systems then you don't really understand what you're doing.

Damn it, plagiarize. Please don't ruin The Big Half-Life 2 Cookoff this forum has planned for early next year.

Razoric

Banned
plagiarize said:

Uh for multiplatform titles this is VERY important. What about games like GTA4? If it looks so much better on 360 w/ exclusive downloadble content, that is a very big deal.

Majmun

Razoric said:
Uh for multiplatform titles this is VERY important. What about games like GTA4? If it looks so much better on 360 w/ exclusive downloadble content, that is a very big deal.

But is GTA4 a port?

Monolith had more time with X360 hardware. That's just the truth.

jjasper

Got excited by the news not so much about the screens, but can we at least wait till they are both out before we start the pissing match.

snatches

jjasper said:
Got excited by the news not so much about the screens, but can we at least wait till they are both out before we start the pissing match.

doesn't look good though when this is due out in three months. I expect FEAR to represent the minimum that you can expect from the PS3. No chance that Day 1 has had a chance to optimize properly for the platform.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
jjasper said:
if this thread is any indication, apparently not.

sorry :)

you can use multiplatform games if they've had the same amount of time with final dev kits and are based on technology that's had as long to mature. that might actually be the case for Half Life 2, but i doubt it.

i'm actually eager to see if the same kind of ATI/NVIDIA differences we've been seeing carry into the new consoles. will the hl2 engine run better on the ATI (AMD Radeon?) powered system and will doom 3 powered games run better on the NVIDIA powered one?

what you really need, is two equally talented devs to spend equal time making exclusives for both systems with comparable assets.

what i heard from people at lucasarts at E3 was that it was easier to tap the 360's power but that the ps3 had more power. that makes me think the multiplatform titles aren't going to the ones that really show the difference between the two in terms of raw power and that the 360 might actually come off looking better on multiplatform titles over all, with the ps3 having a few exclusives that the 360 couldn't pull off.

now whether the perceived performance crown will go to the one with the more powerful hardware or the one with the better looking multiplatform titles, is something i'm really looking forwards to finding out.

but hey, F.E.A.R. is a good game in any console's library and if they are sweetening it with exclusive content (presuming it's getting the same bonus content that the 360 version has) the PS3 version may yet be the one to get.

Why the hell do they hire Day 1 to port it? It's like they treat PSP by hiring second quality developers to port console games to it. Idiots.

Guns N' Poops said:
Why the hell do they hire Day 1 to port it? It's like they treat PSP by hiring second quality developers to port console games to it. Idiots.
Day 1's doing both the X360 and PS3 conversions, AFAIK.

Mmmkay said:
Because even if the PS3 was an apocalyptic toaster, the PR department of the game's publisher would still ask for screenshots.

A wacky timing to be honest with screenies all of the sudden don't you think? They shoulda just sent out some PC shots as PS3 shots for cripes sake. These really look shit.

And if this really is a launch title, they have all of 2 1/2 months to finish up this bizniyatch.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
While I DO like the blur on the PS3 shots, they are pretty bad otherwise. I wonder what the deal is?

Elios83

Great news,as expected the launch lineup starts to take shape with a few surprises.
But these screens are terrible,textures are low quality,I hope they're from a really old build.
Anyway the only impressive thing about the Fear engine in my opinion are the soft shadows and it seems from the released screens that neither the PS3 version nor the 360 version will feature it :(

Shogmaster said:
A wacky timing to be honest with screenies all of the sudden don't you think? They shoulda just sent out some PC shots as PS3 shots for cripes sake. These really look shit.

And if this really is a launch title, they have all of 2 1/2 months to finish up this bizniyatch.
my feelings too. even if the game really does look like that currently, those shots do no one any favours, and they've got a few months yet to improve the graphics on the ps3 version.

the odd part is that the 360 screens look so good. even if the 360 screens are touched up lies, you have to wonder why the ps3 ones aren't.

these screens make the game look bad, and all they really do is give fan boys ammunition for their console debates.

some sweet exclusive content aside the 360 version may be the one to get, but i don't begrudge the ps2 version of RE4 and i won't begrudge the PS3 version of F.E.A.R.

spread the love.

Mmmkay

Shogmaster said:

Why is it wacky timing? The game has only just been officially announced. And yeah, I'm not sending out any false hope, they've got a lot of work to do. But in the last couple of weeks we've had several titles which have just reached or passed the alpha stage of developemnt, being pretty much feature complete. This clearly looks to be another, given its current state on the PS3. For a pre-final development environment it makes more sense to get your content done and core game finished before adding effects, given how the hardware changes so frequently. Moreso than developing on a PC or a released console.

Elios83 said:
Great news,as expected the launch lineup starts to take shape with a few surprises.
But these screens are terrible,textures are low quality,I hope they're from a really old build.
Anyway the only impressive thing about the Fear engine in my opinion are the soft shadows and it seems from the released screens that neither the PS3 version nor the 360 version will feature it :(
soft shadowing doesn't work properly with FSAA on the pc version of the game (they go really wacky) and forced to make a choice most people i know prefer FSAA to soft shadows... so it's not really unexpected that neither the PS3 or 360 versions are sporting them.

I have a hard time believing that this game will look drastically different than the X360 version. I would think that they should look fairly close to each other by the time they're both done. These are probably just shitty captures from an ealier build...seems to be the trend with most multiplatform stuff on X360 and PS3 where the PS3 version is behind a bit.

Ajax

Banned
Hajaz said:
orders of magnitude more powerfull :lol

There we go with that ridiculous not to say completely retarded argument every time a port or an ugly game is shown which btw are still in beta stages. Grow up this isn't OA.

Pimpwerx

Wow! That is quite possibly the worst game shown for the PS3...by far. This looks worse than PD0 did at E3 2005....seriously. That's gotta be embarassing. They should have just used PC screens. PEACE.

Elios83

plagiarize said:
soft shadowing doesn't work properly with FSAA on the pc version of the game (they go really wacky) and forced to make a choice most people i know prefer FSAA to soft shadows... so it's not really unexpected that neither the PS3 or 360 versions are sporting them.

That's a bad thing to me,soft shadows are the best thing Fear has to offer graphically on the PC.They do a lot in creating an immersive and believable lighting.
Anyway I won't buy Fear for consoles.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
some sweet exclusive content aside the 360 version may be the one to get, but i don't begrudge the ps2 version of RE4 and i won't begrudge the PS3 version of F.E.A.R.

spread the love.
There's no love to spread.

PS2 was under-spec for RE4 and simply had no hope of handling it at the same level of quality that we saw on the GC. PS3, however, should have no issues with FEAR and anything less than a perfect port should be considered crap.

Did anyone consider Quake 4 a good port? Hell no, it had SERIOUS problems that nearly prevented the game from even being playable. RE4 PS2 is a very different situation.

Top Bottom