• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F.E.A.R. on PS3 at launch

dark10x said:
There's no love to spread.

PS2 was under-spec for RE4 and simply had no hope of handling it at the same level of quality that we saw on the GC. PS3, however, should have no issues with FEAR and anything less than a perfect port should be considered crap.

Did anyone consider Quake 4 a good port? Hell no, it had SERIOUS problems that nearly prevented the game from even being playable. RE4 PS2 is a very different situation.
i compared it to ps2 purely because of the extra content the ps2 version got to make up for the graphical difference... which sounds like what we'll have again here.

there's no question in my mind that the ps3 could handle F.E.A.R. at something pretty much identical to the 360 version, but only with at least another six months of development as the tech that powers F.E.A.R. also powered Condemned and the engine has had that extra year to be tuned for the system... the 360 version started with a decent version of the engine and built from there as opposed to no engine existing tuned for that system.

that's the difference here really. it's just a quick and dirty port so as not to be too late to the party. i think we all know how ports of games from other systems that don't launch until months after the first release usually sell.

the F.E.A.R. sequel should be hitting all platforms at the same time, and hopefully looking just as sharp on all of them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
plagiarize said:
there's no question in my mind that the ps3 could handle F.E.A.R. at something pretty much identical to the 360 version, but only with at least another six months of development as the tech that powers F.E.A.R. also powered Condemned and the engine has had that extra year to be tuned for the system... the 360 version started with a decent version of the engine and built from there as opposed to no engine existing tuned for that system.
No, they should BOTH be able to handle the game at a full 60 fps at maximum detail. Neither port is where it COULD be, though realistically, they'll never get there.

the old mantra :)

i'm sure you're right on this occasion though. i'm just explaining why the ps3 version looks like ass next to the 360 version for those that think it has any bearing on the relative power of the two system. it doesn't as we both know.

i wonder if they could have gotten it to 60 fps without adding HDR? be interesting to know if that was a conscious decision or not.

still, i know that if it's a locked down 30 as it's appeared to be so far, that you'll be happy enough :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
plagiarize said:
the old mantra :)

i'm sure you're right on this occasion though. i'm just explaining why the ps3 version looks like ass next to the 360 version for those that think it has any bearing on the relative power of the two system. it doesn't as we both know.

i wonder if they could have gotten it to 60 fps without adding HDR? be interesting to know if that was a conscious decision or not.

still, i know that if it's a locked down 30 as it's appeared to be so far, that you'll be happy enough :)
I think they could reach 60 fps WITH HDR, though. It's all in how they handle the coding.

i know and i agreed with you, but i think that'd have taken longer to achieve. they obviously had a date to hit. feel free to blame sierra/vivendi :)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think these shots are a direct result of the backlash against target renders. They are likely still heavily optimizing the game and improving the graphics as they get better performance from the engine. The game doesn't look filtered or blown up or over anti-aliased. It just looks like the PC version of F.E.A.R running on low settings.

fse

wow... those look like ... just wow.
i guess the difference in RAM help the 360 a shit ton.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
f_elz said:
wow... those look like ... just wow.
i guess the difference in RAM help the 360 a shit ton.

Yes, I am sure the discrepancy in shots is a RAM issue. :\

sangreal

Is it just me, or is this guy a lot more... polygonal on PS3?

fear-unofficial-20060817003719673.jpg

fear-20060802011343460.jpg

Top Bottom