• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2012 |OT| 2011 + 1

amar212

The way F1 is going:

- Codemasters make 2009, but limit it to wii due to wanting to get more done.
- Codemasters make 2010, game is fun and good but lacks things, little buggy in areas.
- Codemasters improved to make 2011, game has more bugs but also big improvements, sloppy in areas.
- Codemasters hands over the code to a B-team to work on 2012, changes up the wazoo and removal of already included features for stupid reasons, trolls fanbase.
- Codemasters release 2013 and wonder why no one is buying it and why the fan base is halfed
- Codemasters stop making yearly F1 games, official reason being that the genre is drying up and blame it on the fans.

Much truth in above.

I can't speak in absolutes because I can't find any information on exact year, but full quote says how after 2011 Codemasters has signed a new, "multi-year" license. Which can also mean 2 year only, for 2012 and 2013.

Do not forget how 2008 reports were quoting 15 million $ (or euro?) annually for the Bernie (FOWC is the official F1 licenser for next 98 years).

With F1 Race Stars in the pipeline and next-gen consoles incoming, it will be very interesting to see how this will unfold. I still believe Codemasters did a great foundations of the engine to handle the proper F1 game, bit current execution-record is really something to think over.

Personally, I would really love to see Bernie reconsidering exclusive license deals (as for last 11 years) and go back to operating under multi-license agreements. I am fairly sure there would be many, many studios interested in grabbing F1 license for more reasonable amount of money, with only real obstacle being operating the production with so many interested parties in the same time.

But speaking theoretically, at this very point I see at least 4 studios that would probably be interested to grab a licence for let's say 3-4 million annually for upcoming years - and I am listing studios that already have engines capable of producing F1 games (with presumption how T10 really have FM engine more-less capable of variable weather/changeable lighting limited by hardware constraints of current XB):

Codemasters (lower license costs would probably leave more money for actual... coding - multiplatform),
Playground games/Turn10 (never underestimate Playground team with such F1 background while T10 could jump-in for the sake of Forza series - if they can solve visible suspensions - XB),
Polyphony Digital (Kazunori said he is interested in making F1 game, GT engine is 100% ready for execution of such title, so that one is a given - PS),
SlightlyMad Studios (once the money form pCARS starts to pour, I see their talent as a given in creating an F1 game and pCARS engine would be glorious - besides, they could even go and make some crazy historic GP game with one hand - the assets are all there - multiplatform)

Of course, there is always a probability of EA jumping in and getting DICE to do what they do best (still remembering V8 Supercars, gnnnnn..) or even Criterion (for some more casual version of the game), or even those crazy guys from Milestone, but those are less probable.

Ah, that wishful thinking..

Shaneus

Could you imagine what would've happened if Activision/Bizarre got the license?

a) We'd still have Bizarre
b) It'd be like F1 '97 all over again, but current
c) It'd be fucking awesome

God damnit, I miss those guys :(

TJP

God damnit, I miss those guys :(
+1,000,000 Bizarre Creations were a magnificent developer. I played Formula One and F1 '97 so damn much - incredible feature set even compared to todays games.

The fact is there are many developers who could do the F1 licence justice in videogames; Reiza, Kunos, SimBin and ISI sit alongside Amar212's picks of very capable developers if the poision dwarf didn't charge excessive amounts for said licence. I'm looking forward to playing the Ayrton Senna game from Reiza Studios as their Formula cars in Game Stock Car are sublime whilst Ferrari Virtual Academy offers an incredible F1 experience for just 10 Euro - only issue is 2 cars and 3 tracks 8(

_machine

SlightlyMad Studios (once the money form pCARS starts to pour, I see their talent as a given in creating an F1 game and pCARS engine would be glorious - besides, they could even go and make some crazy historic GP game with one hand - the assets are all there - multiplatform)
I certainly wouldn't mind that:
8021920083_1f1dd1c6e1_h.jpg

I doubt they got the money to do it by themselves (the license for F1 is already higher than the whole budget for PCARS), especially when it comes to marketing and publishing. Only way I could see it happening is a publisher with the license contracting them to work on it and that means we'd probably end up with a compromised game again.

EDIT:
Here's a few more shots:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8177/8021921187_0b1c9a1537_h.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8178/8021926032_f1ed20f91d_h.jpg
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/370258pCARS20120923191814746.jpg

Shaneus

I just noticed this post from the 20th on their forums from T4RG4:
I know what you mean about the content being geared for the casual, but it was built primarily to give those still in love with F1 but with time commitments, something they could dip into when they didn't have time with Career. We're not trying to simplify the game in anyway, but expand it a little this year. It's not a direction change, but a much needed extension IMO.
I wonder if he figured that people with time commitments would want to be in a race where tyre changes were scaled according to race length?

Ugh.

At least said forums are crawling with people screaming for blood. Hopefully they'l get the idea this time.

BTW _machine, that's the Formula A, yeah?

Dilly

Banned
Too grippy isn't good either. And it's still too hard to do decent powerslides in pCARS.

I really hope the new tire model fixes the car behaviour in oversteer and understeer situations.

That's a bug for that build though I read on the pCARS forum. Even with the super grip, the core driving model is 100x better. You turn the wheel and, shock horror, the car responds as it should.

Shaneus

Here's an unofficial bug list for F1 2012. Keep in mind that the game hasn't been out for a week yet.

And some more specific ones:
Engine blowing up bug?
I'm on career mode in the Caterham, 50% race distance and Professional difiiculty. It seems to blow the engine far too often.

Once it does, it'll go into flashback mode, which is fine but when I start again, it'll blow the engine from where I flashed back, so I'll repeat until I use up all my flashbacks. I understand if i flashed right to the point where I blew the engine, then yes, it makes sense, my own stupidity but even far before the engine failure, it'll fail right when I start. I basically had to retire from Practise and Qualifying because of this annoying bug.
(that thread is 23 pages long)
A video of the bug happening... notice the appearance of smoke. And a brief description by another poster (a little more succinct):
If anyone wants to test, try going at a high speed for a while (like 7th gear), brake down to 1st or 2nd gear, use a flashback to go back to when you were going at the high speed. Basically when you flashback, go back and start at the spot when you were going in 7th gear. The engine should smoke.

No online sessions anymore after rank 5 (PC) - huge bug which makes the game unplayable
Here's the problem. After you exceed Rank 5 in multiplayer, and go to Online -> Custom Race -> Find Session, you'll get the following message: "There are currently no available online sessions to join.". This is a bug that only occurs after you get higher than Rank 5 (Rank 6 and up). Quick races will still work fine and you are also still able to create a custom session and people are able to join it. However, finding a custom race is not possible anymore. I heard that this problem is happening to more people - as far as I know only on the PC so far - please write down your own findings right here.
And I demand an explanation on this topic from Codemasters, and more importantly a very quick fix, and I mean VERY quick. Because this is something that I myself as a loyal customer will not accept. Unfortunately, I can only do very little about it.

Again... a game that hasn't been out for a week!

markao

Much truth in above.

I can't speak in absolutes because I can't find any information on exact year, but full quote says how after 2011 Codemasters has signed a new, "multi-year" license. Which can also mean 2 year only, for 2012 and 2013.

Do not forget how 2008 reports were quoting 15 million $ (or euro?) annually for the Bernie (FOWC is the official F1 licenser for next 98 years).

Reading through the interview Stephen Hood gave at Edge online (Codemasters on F1 2012 and the challenge of innovating in an annual series), I would guess they have at least a license for a few more years beyond 12/13

"In 2014, turbos are coming back to Formula 1, so the engines are changing completely. We’re going to be playing around with engine temperature, boost coming out of the corners, the sound of the cars – that should be awesome. So if they keep updating it, that makes my job a little bit easier. I’ll give Bernie a call and say, “You need to spruce it up, mate!”

That interview pretty much sums up why I, that's someone that followed F1 for 30+ years, have no real interest in CMs current representation of F1. Because when it comes to F1, I just want the real thing.

I keep seeing these videos showing cars taking a corner with all the wheels over the white line but not getting a warning of any kind, wut

ACH1LL3US

So if I never played 2010 or 2011 on the pc, this is not worth getting? I am a pad player so should I get 2011 over 2012?

mxgt

Banned
2012 plays much better with a pad than previous versions I find.

I skipped 11 but 10 was shit with a pad.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just tried it a little, runs smoother than F1 2011.

So far the biggest problem is to get the weel feeeling good. Something is bugging me for now, too big deadzone.

Foshy

Except for the lack of Austin.
Austin was strange for me. I expected it to be complete shit and that I would hate it by looking at on-board laps, but when I actually played it I thought it was actually a very fun track. It flows much better than one would think.

amar212

I am completely changing my previous opinion regarding way how F1 2012 behaves and handles on PS3 with my Fanatec CSRE wheel.

After I took some time and searched across webs, I have found an ultimate solution that fixed all my problems and turned the game into great one. Strange, I know.

My initial guideline was the official solution presented by Codemasters on their forum. However, that particular solution have wrong foundations, since it takes in-game default values of 270-degree and presents them as a starting point, which is wrong. CM forum member Codexas (guy with real-life open-wheelers experience) proposed different solution in one of the discussions and after I tried it everything just fell into place regarding steering.

I spend additional time to test all other settings and finally found out the sources of all my problems which were connected to fact how F12012 recognises Fanatec wheels as Logitech G25.

To cut long story short, here are my final settings for Fanatec CSR Elite on PS3. As it seems, those same settings works like charm on either PS3 or PC and later today I will also try them on X360 (I have the demo dewnloaded):

*On-wheel settings (via Fanatec on-the-fly settings):
SEN 330 (crucial setting) / FF 100 / SHO 20 / DRI 005 (crucial setting) / ABS 025 / LIN 0 / DEA 0 / SPR 0 / DPR -3 (crucial setting)

*In-game Advanced Wheel Settings (for brakes I am using CSP V2 Fanatec brakes) > both settings below are applied in the game option menu:
DDZ 0 / SAT 0 / LIN 0 / THR DZZ 0 / THR SAT 0 / BRK DDZ 2 / BRK SAT 25

*In-game Force Feedback options:
ENV EFF 10% / FFB STR 80% / WHL WGH 0%

Here is my original post in full on Codemasters forums, with all explanations and further advices.

F1 2012 now rocks. I can't wait to come home today and finally indulge myself into game in full.

It says that they are also sending the same patch to MS and sony, so they are wasting their first and free update to fix about 10% of the game, nice.

Thank god the pc version is steamworks this year, much as I kind of like GFWL the patch process is way too slow and limited, but saying that this game should have been working before release.

Shaneus

It says that they are also sending the same patch to MS and sony, so they are wasting their first and free update to fix about 10% of the game, nice.

Thank god the pc version is steamworks this year, much as I kind of like GFWL the patch process is way too slow and limited, but saying that this game should have been working before release.
Maybe they'll actually grow some brains and if the game isn't 100% by the third patch, they'll actually pony up themselves and get it working properly.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Speech

I'm sure they are referring to the 2nd PC patch when they say they are sending it to MS/Sony, so it will probably fix about 20%.

Dibbz

I actually think 2012 is a lot better than 2011 so far. For one you can actually put in less fuel in races so you actually have to manage fuel consumption. Handling is a lot better and much tougher to get to grips with. AI is a little better but still makes stupid mistakes like not overtaking when you get blue flagged, they just hang behind you for a few seconds even on straights if you pull off the racing line and slow down.

Lima

So at race 4 now in the new Co-Op season.

In every single session at least one session was wet.

Yeah I'm gonna wait for a patch. I don't mind driving in the wet but not every second race.

amar212

I have completely changed my opinion on the game after I found out an ultimate solution for fixing the steering/FFB issues I had prior to the discovery.

I take back everything I've said - the game is great.

I completely edited my opinion (few posts above) and I have provided all details and links for all interested.

Hope it will help to all Fanatec and all wheel users in general (since it seems how 330-degree steering is the key to 1:1 linearity and it solves all issues that arise from using a different values).

TJP

Patch #2 for the PC version is now available via Steam.

The patch notes below were taken from CM forum: http://community.codemasters.com/t5...stance/Patch-News-2-27-09-12/m-p/94430#U94430

"This update contains in excess of 200 fixes and improvements for F1 2012 including the following major updates:

• Autosave bug – The issue some users were experiencing where saving during career play would stop functioning is now fixed
  • Players ranked 6 are now able to see online sessions hosted by other players
  • Car setups will no longer revert to the default settings if players quit back to the main menu from Parc Fermé
  • Time attack times no longer overwrite RaceNet event times
  • AI drivers now pit to change tyres at the correct time
  • Fixed an issue where players using voice communication might experience a crash when plugging in a mic
  • Fixed an issue where some players would experience a crash in Career tutorials after completing a Season Challenge
  • Players are no longer able to drive through barriers/environment after using a flashback in pits
  • Fuel consumption when using manual gears has now been brought in line with automatic gear usage
  • Camera angles when exiting the pit lane has been fixed
  • AI no longer pit after one lap when wet weather races have been restarted
  • Positioning of the top 4 ranked players on PC leaderboards has been corrected. Leaderboards will be reset later today in order to update player rankings. (Once players complete another online race they will be added back on to the leaderboard with all their stats intact)
  • Driver name plates can now be seen
  • Numerous graphical improvements made such as flicker on rain/ground textures, interface positioning and correction of some track surfaces that showed incorrect weather
  • Various fixes to cameras including the 3D effect and pit lane cameras
  • Numerous textual and localisation fixes included

New Known Issue

• On certain hardware, when the player’s car goes into shadow the whole screen flickers. This can be worked around by setting Shadows to Low or Ultra Low in My F1 -> Graphics. This issue will be addressed in the next patch.

The fixes listed above and those specific to the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game are also being tested and verified on those platforms. As these versions require additional submission and authorisation from both Microsoft and Sony the release date for these will follow a little later than the PC version."

RaceManIak

Neo Member
I have completely changed my opinion on the game after I found out an ultimate solution for fixing the steering/FFB issues I had prior to the discovery.

I take back everything I've said - the game is great.

I completely edited my opinion (few posts above) and I have provided all details and links for all interested.

Hope it will help to all Fanatec and all wheel users in general (since it seems how 330-degree steering is the key to 1:1 linearity and it solves all issues that arise from using a different values).

Thank you amar212 ! your setting works great on PC with my GT2 (firmware 720)

Top Bottom