• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2012 |OT| 2011 + 1

Shaneus

I'm glad you got it sorted and once again I'm not surprised to read the cause & fix is the same from a previous game. Have CM announced a crossfire fix?

I'm currently in love with the career mode as the racing has been brilliant.
Nothing's been mentioned (though there seem to be regular updates to the thread on their forum) but given that there's a strong preference on FS to dump 2012 for the time being and focus on 2011 (with which I managed to fluke a workaround for that lets me use Crossfire *and* DX11) I don't think I'm going to waste much more of my energy.

TJP

Nothing's been mentioned (though there seem to be regular updates to the thread on their forum) but given that there's a strong preference on FS to dump 2012 for the time being
Such a pity as F1 2012 is a solid experience but CM should have had their game sorted by now.

The great news is there is an alternative for just $20 USD that kicks the arse of nearly every other sim (physics and FFB wise)....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qI42e7Firx0

You know you want to buy it ;)

There's a bug in the co-op campaign. If you or your buddy get disconnected for some reason, it simply skips your race to the next one. We were doing a qualifying session in Australia when my friend got disconnected for no reason. I invited him again to join the game and, when it started, it went straight to Sepang. Really ridiculous.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Another day, another update? Did anyone else just get a 20MB update? I just restarted Steam and it's came though, making the F1 2012 version 1.2.3.0.

Another day, another update? Did anyone else just get a 20MB update? I just restarted Steam and it's came though, making the F1 2012 version 1.2.3.0.
That's the fourth update. Here are the patch notes:

Patch News #4
Today sees patch #4 available on Steam for PC versions of F1 2012.

This update addresses a number of issues, including:

Understeer: Adjusted track information to provide a more uniform level of grip across the entire surface
Fixed an issue where some users (especially those on laptops) were unable to change their resolution.
Fixed a crash in Co-op when trying to resume a session at the start of a Qualifying session that neither player would take part in.
Fixed issues with the weather system in Instant Replays / Race Replays which could instantly change the track wetness level.
Removed engine damage from the list of damaged parts that can force a pit stop to take priority over a drive through penalty.
Changed the Prime tyre compound to Hard for Suzuka to match the race this weekend. This change will not affect Time Attack which will continue to use the Medium compound tyre.
Added a white cross to the DRS OSD to indicate to that it is unavailable because of a fault.
Fixed a number of minor graphical issues.
Fixed a couple of minor issues with timers not resetting correctly.
Other changes of note:
Added a Skip Session option so players can leave any session without having to complete it.
Tweaked force feedback for all devices.
Improved the lighting on Singapore.
Known issue:
Saves not synchronising with the Steam cloud. If you are experiencing issues with saves uploaded to Steam’s cloud, we recommend using saved games stored on your local drive/PC.

The fixes listed above and those specific to the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game are also being tested and verified on those platforms. As these versions require additional submission and authorisation from both Microsoft and Sony the release date for these will follow a little later than the PC version.

We are working on other issues you have reported via the forums, Facebook and Twitter and are working to fix them as quickly as possible. In the meantime, please note that we are still collecting feedback via our Technical Assistance forums and do encourage you to post your issues there being sure to include as much information as possible.

Thanks for your continued feedback!

Stop It

That's the fourth update. Here are the patch notes:

Thanks for that! Well, yes, there's lot of bugs to be fixed, but at least Codemasters have finally realised why we all were screaming for Steamworks for the last 2 years.

Instead of having to hope that the 2 "free" patches would actually do anything, we've actually seen updates, and lot's of them. I wonder how the understeer has been affected by today's update.

Also: They actually changed the tyres to reflect real life? Oh my word, that's really nice. I hope they do that for the rest of the season if their tyre choice was wrong.

TJP

While I believe many of these issues should have been fixed prior to release, it is a good effort by Codemasters to release 4 patches in such a short time frame.

Stop It

While I believe many of these issues should have been fixed prior to release, it is a good effort by Codemasters to release 4 patches in such a short time frame.

I agree, but at least this year we have had fixes done in decent time rather than waiting and hoping that Codemasters would actually fix anything. It of course again shows why GFWL is terrible and should be dropped from all games going forward until MS stops charging for patches.

Shaneus

Yeah, that's actually a very good list of fixes, especially ones for handling. I mean, I guess... I still can't play the game at all.

And that Crossfire issue looks like it's to do with *anything* multi-GPU. nVidia users are reporting the same problem (with multiple GPUs) and even people with laptops that have both an Intel and ATI mobile HD GPU.

But yeah, that's officially four patches in two weeks since release. No game should ever be shipped in a state where that's possible.

TJP

And that Crossfire issue looks like it's to do with *anything* multi-GPU. nVidia users are reporting the same problem (with multiple GPUs) and even people with laptops that have both an Intel and ATI mobile HD GPU.
I'm happy to read that the issue isn't a GPU manufacturer specific problem however it's not as if SLI or crossfire is a new technique. Hopefully patch #5 is a fix for the multi GPU issue.

Shaneus

Wow. That's an insane level of detail re: the FFB. I bet that was their "fix" for the understeer on certain corners for each track. Just edit the FFB rather than every track.

TJP

I've reverted back to the pre 4th patch FFB settings which one can find on the Codemasters forum.

The changes to the FFB in patch #4 made the G27 FFB very light at low and medium speeds and no amount of fettling could resolve this. Roll back the effectsetup.xml file and problem is solved!

TJP

Patch #5 is coming: http://community.codemasters.com/t5...sion/Patch-5-News-05-10-12/m-p/109886#U109886

Today sees patch #5 available on Steam for PC versions of F1 2012.

This update addresses the following issues:

*Reduced the likelihood of the player getting a penalty when involved in a collision with an AI car.
*Further reduced the chance of rain for all tracks and greatly reduced it for Sakhir (Bahrain).
*Fixed Catalunya so that it’s no longer possible to cut corners to gain an advantage. The PC Catalunya Time Trial Leaderboard will be reset after the patch goes live, this will either be done Friday evening or Monday morning (UK time).
*Fixed an issue where the engine could be damaged or destroyed when using a flashback.
*Reverted the changes to the force feedback from patch 4. While this improved some wheels, it was to the detriment of others.
*Added an option to delete profiles.

The fixes listed above and those specific to the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game are also being tested and verified on those platforms. As these versions require additional submission and authorisation from both Microsoft and Sony the release date for these will follow a little later than the PC version.

I get the feeling we PC players have been the test environment for the console versions 8) Good to see CM getting fixes out ASAP though.

Shaneus

Yeah, that's what it seems like. That's not a bad thing, but damn it'd be so much better if we didn't have to do it at all. 5 patches in 15 days? That has to be some kind of record.

TJP

Yeah, that's what it seems like. That's not a bad thing, but damn it'd be so much better if we didn't have to do it at all. 5 patches in 15 days? That has to be some kind of record.
Remind me again how "professional" reviewers missed all of these issues currently being fixed ;) At least CM are giving F1 2012 a decent level of post-release support.

Not to excuse all of this but it could be far worse: http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1617513/fifa_13_glitches_freezing_bugs_what_went_wrong.html

Blablurn

TJP

I haven't actually seen the patch appear on Steam yet (I don't think). Has it actually come out?
Not as yet but if you select to verify the game cache, F1 2012 will re-download the F1 2012.exe file each time you kick the verification process off, making it appear to be doing something ;)

NHale

Also only the first 2 patches are free (already used one), after that Codemasters have to pay to release a patch, which is the reason the previous games only had 2.

I get the feeling we PC players have been the test environment for the console versions 8) Good to see CM getting fixes out ASAP though.

Why pay for QA when people that pay for your product can also be used to test your product? With the speed of each patch for PC it shows that they are not testing it in house, but using the PC community to test it for them. When everything is "acceptable" they will release the 2nd patch for PS3/X360 and they will be done with the game.

TJP

Also only the first 2 patches are free (already used one), after that Codemasters have to pay to release a patch, which is the reason the previous games only had 2.
What you quoted as my words comes from Codemasters, not me.

Megasoum

Banned
I can't prove anything, but Im sure afer Helios left Cody all the PR money goes to ISR now.

Bah, ISR's bias towards Cody is not new. The thing is they do say some relevant stuff but at the same time they say a ton of stupid things that don't make any sense... Anyway.. nothing new here.

_machine

F1 2012 reminds me of Project Cars right now, a World of Mass Development. They release a new build every 2 or 3 days, with bug fixes, and new bugs every time.
That's because said game is still in development with a year to release. But yeah, a released product that's almost as buggy as something in Pre-Alpha is pretty astonishing.

Shaneus

F1 2012 reminds me of Project Cars right now, a World of Mass Development. Code(not_so)masters release a new build every 2 or 3 days, with bug fixes, and new bugs every time.

Edit: Watch the new bugs of Update #5 here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFac-sQvJtU

I also lost 12-15 fps with the last updates.
ahahahahahaha

I hope that was in one of the patches that was submitted to Sony/MS (meaning a patch approval has to be accounted for with the fix). Laughable.

That new bug is supposedly present in the patch #5 that went online on last friday and was subsequently taken away. According to commenters of that video, the *NEW* patch #5 will be released today. I don't know what to think anymore. Does Codemasters really have a QA team? It doesn't seem so.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah it's really crazy. It's great to not be shackled by the terrible G4WL which means you can release patches whenever you want but this is ridiculous.

I work in QA for a big publisher and all our pc games are steamworks so we never have to bother with certifications on PC. We can release patches whenever we want.

We would NEVER release that many patches that quickly. When we push a patch on Steam it's normally been in test for at least a week before. Even if the patch officialy fixes only 2-3 issues we will still do the whole rundown of tests on the game to see if the patch broke anything else. Some of those issues (like the one posted earlier with the youtube video) is IMPOSSIBLE to miss by any testers.

Calling them amateurs would be way too generous.

Yeah it's really crazy. It's great to not be shackled by the terrible G4WL which means you can release patches whenever you want but this is ridiculous.

I work in QA for a big publisher and all our pc games are steamworks so we never have to bother with certifications on PC. We can release patches whenever we want.

We would NEVER release that many patches that quickly. When we push a patch on Steam it's normally been in test for at least a week before. Even if the patch officialy fixes only 2-3 issues we will still do the whole rundown of tests on the game to see if the patch broke anything else. Some of those issues (like the one posted earlier with the youtube video) is IMPOSSIBLE to miss by any testers.

That's the point. It really seems it wasn't tested AT ALL.

Shaneus

As pointed out to me on AVForums, we PC gamers are the Codemasters QA Team ;)
There are other forums that talk about how bad they are? So far that makes here, Fastest Sector and AVForums (not counting Codemasters' own).

I wonder just how many there are... I'd wager Something Awful, Reddit (probably) as well. Maybe GameFAQs and IGN, too.

Exactly, it's absolutely ridiculous. Thing is, they haven't always been like this.. DIRT 1 and 2 were mostly issue free, and prior to that they'd done GRID, the TOCA series, the original Colin McRae Rally games and even shit like Micro Machines. None have been as poorly finished as the F1 series (let alone 2012).

It makes you wonder how many bugs they DID know about with 2011 but couldn't fix because there just weren't enough patches to do so.

Shaneus

Oh yeah, forgot about Steam. Odd that there's no 2012 forum considering it's a Steamworks title
KuGsj.gif

(I'm sure they'll patch it in later, breaking multiplayer in the process or something)

RaceManIak

Neo Member
Please tell me that isn't caused by the patch Steam downloaded a few seconds ago, a 60+ MB update.

Although that is shite by CM, I've found changing the shadows from Ultra to High caused a 15 fps increase.
Thanks for the shadows setting tip.

And the video was the Update 5 from friday that they pulled of steam after a couple hours. You have the "new" update #5 now... and some says they broke the Force Feedback now lol

TJP

Thanks for the shadows setting tip.

And yes the video was the Update 5 from friday that they pulled of steam after a couple hours. You have the "new" update #5 now... and some says they broke the Force Feedback now lol
Shadows seem to tax the fps on most racing games - I don't see much of a difference between ultra and high unless I look really closely and even then it's not worth worrying about. Preset to ultra, I was getting an average of 67 fps around Texas, changing the shadows to high gave me 82 fps. It also means I can up-res the skin textures from RaceDepartment to the 'double HD' level without worrying about the frame rate hit. I found the 4096 HD skins on all available cars drops the framerate by 3-5 fps.

Funny that there's no F1 2012 forums on steam, only 2010 and 2011.
Neither does GTR that SimBin recently released on Steam for an over inflated price. Valve moved the forums into the Community section within Steam.

wow at that pause bug, lol.

I am all for quick QA but come on at least test every button on the keyboard/pad before you green light an update.

I don't know if it was the patch, but my save files are corrupted now. Thank you, Codemasters. And yes, I cared about the single player. Was on the sixth race already.

Shaneus

Does anyone know where the save files are located?
From memory, it's under your profile. If I had to browse to mine (off the top of my head) it's something like:
C:\Users\Shane\My Documents\My Games\F1 2012 (I think).

Something like that. I know it's not directly under Application Data or My Docs, that's for sure. But it's definitely under your profile somewhere.

TJP

Another patch: http://community.codemasters.com/t5...sistance/F1-2012-Latest-Patch-PC-6/m-p/115288

F1 2012 – Latest Patch: PC 6

Today sees patch #6 available on Steam for PC versions of F1 2012.

This update addresses the following issues:

• Made Pro level AI quicker so that the time gap to Legendary AI is smaller. We’re keen to get community feedback on this change.
  • Fixed the weather system so that:
    Cars will no longer start the race on the wrong tyres.
    Cars will need to change to intermediate tyres when it has been raining with sufficient intensity
  • Fixed a crash in Co-Op when disconnecting on the results screens.
  • Fixed an issue where the point’s totals on the Constructors Championship table were incorrectly doubled.
  • Medals awarded in season challenge now update the player statistics correctly.

Codemasters sure are pushing out the fixes!

Shaneus

2.5 weeks. 6 patches.

Without hyperbole, I honestly can't remember a time I've heard *any* software come out with that many, save for maybe an OS or something.

Top Bottom