• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2013 announced (PC/360/PS3)

Lach

After getting the last three at launch I'll sit this one out until it hits a <10€ steam sale. Did not dig 2012 and my lack of enthusiasm about the current season is not helping at all...

Shaneus

Two things: One, didn't know that 2012 was done in conjunction with a slightly different studio. And I could've fucking told them that Race Stars would've tanked like an M1 Abrams.

Two: Sounds like they're losing a *shitload* of money on this... at least, barely making ends meet on it. Must be putting one hell of a dent into CM's bottom line.

Also, LOL F1 Online. What a heap of shit that was.

Also #2: Not having classic iterations of current tracks like Silverstone? They're fucking bananas. The job to create the classic track would take a fraction of the effort of a new track because the majority of the 3D work is already there. Bonkers.

Man, after seeing those numbers I almost feel sorry for them. But after being somewhat hopeful after 2011 and then seeing the abortion that was 2012 (and Race Stars w/ F1 Online) I just want them to bleed as much money as possible so they have no choice but to drop the license completely.

PS. I didn't know Sumo did the Vita and iOS versions of F1 2009. Guess I'm looking into those ones then.

I honestly believe that the 'maybe' in relation to next-gen versions of F1 2014 is that they just don't know yet whether the install base will make it worth their while - or rather Codemasters don't know yet, so they don't know what sort of budget they're going to get from them.

I've also gotten the impression that every iteration is planned and developed with no particular grand scheme in mind, just whatever seems like a good idea at the time, so I doubt they're even balls-deep in next-gen R&D yet.

VVV Mars VG

I still haven't managed to complete all of my content yet, but here are the links for my coverage so far.

F1 2013 Classic Jerez Practice Gameplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzvZkzfJbZo

F1 2013 Classic Silverstone Practice Gameplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS0XIWmfln4

F1 2013 Classic Suzuka Practice Gameplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtxWY8fHyQ8

Exclusive F1 2013 Classic Suzuka Replay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om9KuWwVJ7k

Interesting to see the public opinion so far to be largely negative, I'll make another report looking into that later.

TJP

Interesting to see the public opinion so far to be largely negative, I'll make another report looking into that later.
With respect Alan, is it really any wonder when F1 2012 on the PC was a mess that required 12 patches and yet it still has bugs and glitches which won't ever be fixed. As a person who pre-ordered F1 2012, it felt like I was doing the QA work for Codemasters. Pity as the graphics are great, the weather effects are fantastic, the handling is fun and forgiving and sound is good.

It seems CM can't release an F1 game that isn't a mess on release; it's like their EGO engine was made for small grids as found in their rally games and little else.

Shaneus

I still haven't managed to complete all of my content yet, but here are the links for my coverage so far.

F1 2013 Classic Jerez Practice Gameplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzvZkzfJbZo

F1 2013 Classic Silverstone Practice Gameplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS0XIWmfln4

F1 2013 Classic Suzuka Practice Gameplay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtxWY8fHyQ8

Exclusive F1 2013 Classic Suzuka Replay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om9KuWwVJ7k

Have you seen it be otherwise on the non-"hardcore" gaming forums? I don't really have any insight into it, but it seemed the only people here with a positive/non-negative opinion of the game were those who either played it solely with controllers or weren't "serious" F1 fans. I'm curious to see how other communities judged/rated it.

With respect Alan, is it really any wonder when F1 2012 on the PC was a mess that required 12 patches and yet it still has bugs and glitches which won't ever be fixed. As a person who pre-ordered F1 2012, it felt like I was doing the QA work for Codemasters. Pity as the graphics are great, the weather effects are fantastic, the handling is fun and forgiving and sound is good.

It seems CM can't release an F1 game that isn't a mess on release; it's like their EGO engine was made for small grids as found in their rally games and little else.
Yeah, I honestly don't understand how I can have a basically flawless experience with the DIRT series (more or less) which always ran beautifully and fully utilised things like multi-GPU setups, not to mention the lack of patching required... but with F1 it's just been one shameful display to another.

I know for the last few releases it's been "this year I won't support it, I swear" but we kind of saw the beginning of this path with 2011 (though it was still mostly good, a problem I had with Crossfire NEVER got acknowledged by Codies, let alone patched) which is why many were overly cautious with 2012 (but figured "what the hell, give them a shot"). And when rather than repaying our trust and faith in kind by addressing concerns people had with 2011, they *removed* features like scalable tyre wear and doing a full championship as your favourite driver. Not to mention the horrid FFB/wheel adjustments they made.

Alan: I can't recall what the original post for the F1 2012 Official Thread was (it can probably be found on archive.org, maybe) but it's current iteration sums up how a lot of us felt after purchasing it.

On that note, one company who I wouldn't mind seeing have a crack at it (as unlikely as that may be, given the licensing costs) would be Milestone. I don't doubt it would take a few iterations to get it right, but I'd have every faith that they'd forgo frontend slickness and presentation values for having a solid career mode and driving model (whilst looking fairly good at the same time). WRC3 and (from what I gather) MotoGP '13 have both done their respective sports proud IMO.

Shaneus

After watching that video, I'm actually really excited about getting my hands on an F1 game soon that has some interesting career mode options as well as classic F1 cars/tracks. It feels strange.

I bought Formula One Championship Edition for PS3 on eBay. It should be arriving any day now!

Spazo

GMG now as a 25% coupon on top of the 10% off on F1 2013 pre-order

-25% code : GMG25-4T2A7-4HOQ2

F1 2013 : 49.99$ - 10% = 44.99$ - 25% = 33.75$
F1 2013 CE : 64.99$ - 10% = 58.49$ - 25% = 43.87$

NHale

It's depressing to watch the news surrounding F1 2013. They don't have anything new to announce regarding physics, sound, career mode etc.

Why hide new stuff 3 weeks from release? Because they don't have it. The only thing new is classic cars and tracks and even then half of that content is locked behind DLC...

F1 2013 = F1 2012 + 2013 Season Mode + Half-assed classic mode.

Next time don't overpay for the F1 license or spend the rest of the budget on classic cars. Unbelievable. If F1 was a popular game in the US everyone on websites/magazines would go bonkers about this year iteration.

Shaneus

But 2013 season mode is only if you play as yourself, yes? I assume that you can't pick a real driver and race a full season as them, a la 2012?

So really, you don't have a proper 2013 season mode because you can only drive a full season as a fictional driver. Unless they've fixed it (which I doubt).

NHale

But 2013 season mode is only if you play as yourself, yes? I assume that you can't pick a real driver and race a full season as them, a la 2012?

So really, you don't have a proper 2013 season mode because you can only drive a full season as a fictional driver. Unless they've fixed it (which I doubt).

I believe they "fixed" that this year. 10 out of 10.

Shaneus

I believe they "fixed" that this year. 10 out of 10.
"Blah blah it's a worthless feature nobody wants it never mind it would've been no effort to keep it in there anyway shut up you don't know what you're talking about what we've left in the game is fine"
<a year passes>
"Features include... New season play option: you can drive as your favourite real-life counterpart for a whole season!"

smh

Coldsnap

The AI in this game ruins it for me. They are just on their set line and do not deviate from it. The first few turns in a race is a giant mess an you're the only one that has to yield and drive around it. Also AI will run right into you or if you are trying to overtake and go into their path a bit they will smash with into you. Sorta frustrating.

Top Bottom