• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2017 announced for 25th August 2017 (PS4, XB1, PC)

Holy shit these GIFs are immense! Are you using some kinda of shader mod or something? Or any other mods? I actually had to do a double-take when I saw the Monaco GIFs.

Edited in post, not much just desaturated color a little and increased the exposure a touch.

Untitled-1969fa.gif

WoolyNinja

Another thing I just found in this game that I'm loving are the weekly events! Its basically a race scenario where you compete with everyone online via a leaderboard. This weeks event is the final 5 laps on the Japan track and though I'm not very good its given me a reason to keep playing to improve my times/score. I started out around 4000 / 6000+ drivers and over the course of a couple days I've improved to where I'm ~2600/6000.

The only complaint I have is I'd love to be able to watch replays or the top 10 drivers in order to see what they do so I can try to continue to improve.

Zaru

I just replaced Kimi in Ferrari during career mode, and the game had the funny idea to make Kimi my "rival" at the first race for the team.

Ghost Kimi isn't putting up much of a fight.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
still no word on VR support?

JDB

Banned
Do they actually have proper flat spots now? In 2016 locking up had essentially no negative effects (aside from not nailing the corner of course).

Fox Mulder

Do they actually have proper flat spots now? In 2016 locking up had essentially no negative effects (aside from not nailing the corner of course).

You get a spike in tire wear from lockups, but no flat spots.

How many games actually sim flat spots?

Jezbollah

I find this to be a really weird mentality. Skipping quality gaming experiences just because they aren't available in VR?

Each to their own, I guess.

Indeed. The audience for VR must be so tiny as to be hard to justify the inclusion. Just like 3D before it, it's just a niche tech that has yet to establish itself as an essential gaming medium.

WoolyNinja

Just tried a few online races - mostly a very positive experience except for the usual suspects that smash people from behind. I wish they'd just prevent cars hitting if the speed difference is more than 30mph. The game turns from "I wonder if I can place in the top 5" to "I wonder how many cars I can pass while coming back from getting nailed from behind". Even with that though still had fun and instead of playing 2 online races I ended up doing 6. I don't want to stop now but have to be up early tomorrow.

Megasoum

Banned
Won Monza...yay

Arrived in Singapore... Fuuuuuucckk I hate that track as much as I hate Monaco... Even worse actually cause even if I don't like racing on it I still consider Monaco a classic and I know it very well.

For some reason, I can't do a full clean lap of Singapore to save my life.

Jezbollah

Me last night at 11:30pm: "Do I start the Hungarian GP now or wait until tomorrow"?

Me this morning at 2:00am, *shuts down computer after third practice at Spa*....

Zaru

Arrived in Singapore... Fuuuuuucckk I hate that track as much as I hate Monaco... Even worse actually cause even if I don't like racing on it I still consider Monaco a classic and I know it very well.

For some reason, I can't do a full clean lap of Singapore to save my life.

The hairpin in Monaco is so hard this year with a controller... Singapore is tight but at least it works as intended.

JDB

Banned
How is the hairpin any harder? I've only done a couple of laps around Monaco so far and if anything it seems easier than in 2016. I could actually make it through turns 13, 14, 15, and 16 with a certain amount of consistency!

Zaru

How is the hairpin any harder? I've only done a couple of laps around Monaco so far and if anything it seems easier than in 2016. I could actually make it through turns 13, 14, 15, and 16 with a certain amount of consistency!

Well I don't know why but it's like the steering isn't enough. Have to go extra slow.
I've driven that corner in so many racing games - with keyboard, controller and wheels - and it's never been as hard as this year.

JDB

Banned
Well I don't know why but it's like the steering isn't enough. Have to go extra slow.
I've driven that corner in so many racing games - with keyboard, controller and wheels - and it's never been as hard as this year.
I could barely make it through a lap in F1 2016 so I guess I'm not really a good reference point. :p
I don't have issues with Singapore, though. Almost all the high speed parts of that track are pretty wide so it's a lot more manageable.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
The hairpin in Monaco is so hard this year with a controller... Singapore is tight but at least it works as intended.

My friend had the same problem with a controller, it did not turn the in-game wheel as much as I could while playing with a wheel, thus he would hit the sides if he did not take the turn perfectly.

Jezbollah

My friend had the same problem with a controller, it did not turn the in-game wheel as much as I could while playing with a wheel, thus he would hit the sides if he did not take the turn perfectly.

The Monaco hairpin requires just a touch of throttle to turn the car. Only the smallest amount. Do do that on a controller can be difficult.

Megasoum

Banned
Just finished Singapore....

I still hate the fucking track but I must admit... Seeing all the colored neons and the fireworks reflect in the rain droplets on your visors is really amazing.

Jezbollah

Patch 1.9 just dropped on steam. 2,2gb.

F1 2017 - patch 1.9 info, including updated liveries
10 OCTOBER - CHRISTINA.MCGRATH
Hi all,

Our release of patch 1.9 is imminent, pending QA approval. Please see below for what to expect from our latest update:

New Features

- New Spectator UI has been added to game.

- LAN Mode has been added to PS4 and PC versions.

- New Grid editor available in custom multiplayer modes.

- Photo Mode is now available on PS4 & Xbox One.

- Sports Update – Updated car and driver liveries.

- Sports Update – Updated car performance levels.

Bug Fixes

- Fixed an issue where continuing an online championship resulted in a crash.

- Fixed an issue in multiplayer where blue flags were occurring at the start of a race once - OSQ had finished.

- Fixed issue where players could be disqualified at the end of a race if they were disqualified during the formation lap.

- Fixed an issue in Multiplayer where the player position panel was showing incorrect positions when the spectating qualifying sessions.

- Fixed a multiplayer issue where players were starting a race in the wrong cars after OSQ if host migration had occurred.

- Fixed an issue where using an instant replay in practice and qualifying could cause the tyre models on all cars to disappear.

- Fixed an issue with a flickering skybox during dynamic weather events.

- Fixed an issue with lod popping on drivers heads when looking backwards with the camera during a race.

- Fixed an issue where changing display resolution or Alt-Tabbing during gameplay caused severe lighting and graphical issues.

- Fixed an issue where a white object was clipping through the players helmet.

- Fixed an issue where tabbing out during a race in heavy rain caused water kick-up to stop working.

- Fixed an issue with incorrect car images being shown in the standings screen after resuming a classic championship.

- Fixed an issue where Jeff repeated that he didn’t receive your last message.

- Fixed an issue where Jeff would use the wrong VO lines when requesting to box this lap pitting during practice programs.

- Fixed an audio issue with the end of race commentary incorrectly stating a SC made an impact in the race after only a VSC was used in race.

- Improved AI drivers ability when defending the inside line.

- Improvements to AI pace balance between qualifying and race sessions.

- AI Difficulty is now applied correctly in multiplayer sessions.

- AI will now pit under the SC for optimal strategy instead of waiting for the SC to go in.

- Player no longer told to catch SC when leading the race and already behind the SC.

- Fixed an issue where the AI attempts to overtake a player with FW damage under SC conditions and then receive no penalties.

- Increased the likelihood of SC & VSC periods occurring in online championships.

- Fixed an issue where double points were being awarded for the AI when a player retired with terminal damage.

- In career mode players can now use the laptop and not lose the opportunity to compete in a invitational event.

- Fixed an issue which could show incorrect development time in weeks on R&D parts.

- Driver number No 1 appears on car instead of 0 after winning drivers championship.

- Fixed an issue where stop-go penalties could be ignored without receiving a penalty.

- Achievement / Trophy – Up to Eleven will now unlock correctly.

- Added the 2nd DRS detection zone to Baku and updated track map video.

- Added pre-set controls for Heusinkveld pedals.

- Fixed an issue where the Thrustmaster TX wheel was displaying Xbox Icons for all rim presets.

- Fixed an issue where gearbox wear would stay at 0% when using no assists and manual gears during a 100% race weekend.

- Fixed an issue where tyre allocations were defaulting to balanced after returning to weekend set-up screen.

- Rebalanced medium traction control performance.

- Fixed an issue with the ‘Find Me’ button on the leaderboard scrolling 100 places rather than to the player’s position.

- Fixed an issue where Sauber and Mercedes were always the most interested teams when reputation levels are maxed out.

- Various other fixes and improvements.

Now I can feel less filthy when pitting as soon as the safety car comes out..

.. no word on if the engine fixes for the McLaren second driver have been included though.

Zaru

Now I can feel less filthy when pitting as soon as the safety car comes out..
I wonder how they define "optimal strategy", especially when it rains.
Changeable conditions always felt like too much of an advantage for the player even last year (can't say anything about further back). It's like you're the only one paying attention to when rain is expected - extending your stint instead of doing a planned pitstop 1 lap before the rain starts.
I'd like to see the AI take some bolder strategy moves there.

JDB

Banned
-Improved AI drivers ability when defending the inside line.
-AI will now pit under the SC for optimal strategy instead of waiting for the SC to go in.

Very nice. Getting a free win because of the safety car always felt cheap. Same counts for AI drivers just getting out of the way when you overtake them on the inside. Hopefully they'll also do something about cars pitting right before they're about to switch to Inters anyway and having to do a double pitstop.

I saw people complaining about the difference in difficulty between the two, but which one was harder? For me they seemed pretty equal, but of course the above mentioned issues made the race a bit easier.

Zaru

I saw people complaining about the difference in difficulty between the two, but which one was harder? For me they seemed pretty equal, but of course the above mentioned issues made the race a bit easier.

I thought it was pretty obvious that they're stronger on friday and saturday? They got around half to a full difficulty level easier on sunday.

Like yesterday, I had a race at Spa. In quali, I was a second ahead because I forgot to change the difficulty after switching to Ferrari from Toro Rosso. But then I finished the race with 90 seconds to Hamilton and Vettel, which is like 4 seconds per lap. It's not like they had notable issues. The discrepancy can be massive.

If you felt they're about the same, then you must be doing something wrong in the races. Or are you driving to conserve the lifespan of car parts?

JDB

Banned
I mean in the Toro Rosso at difficulty 100 the midfield cars (and the RBRs pretty often somehow) were about at my level except pretty easy to pass if you're within DRS range (and nosediving), but the Ferrari and Mercedes cars are always far ahead. They almost lapped me when I came in sixth in Spain (which admittedly isn't my best track). Now that I think about I do end up fairly low in qualifying compared to the race, but is almost always because I make up a lot of places during the opening laps.

I guess it's kinda hard to tell for me as I've been upping the difficulty by 5 every race so far trying to find the right amount of challenge. I started off at about 80 which should've roughly been the same as 2016's but it was incredibly easy in both quali and the race. 100 seems pretty nice so far, but I'll have to see what it's like after the update.

Also, speaking of conserving the lifespan of car parts: does anyone else go through them really quickly? My ICE was at about 80% by the end of the Bahrain Grand Prix, already had gearbox issues in Spain qualifying, and I'd basically fitted the second parts of everything for the race.

Zaru

Also, speaking of conserving the lifespan of car parts: does anyone else go through them really quickly? My ICE was at about 80% by the end of the Bahrain Grand Prix, already had gearbox issues in Spain qualifying, and I'd basically fitted the second parts of everything for the race.

There was a known bug where parts wear during practice/quali scaled with your race distance setting. So a practice lap at a 25% weekend was worth multiple laps of parts wear, which is obviously bullshit. On the upside, it also affected the AI, which caused half the grid to take penalties in some races...
Not sure if they fully fixed that yet.

I mean in the Toro Rosso at difficulty 100 the midfield cars (and the RBRs pretty often somehow) were about at my level except pretty easy to pass if you're within DRS range (and nosediving), but the Ferrari and Mercedes cars are always far ahead. They almost lapped me when I came in sixth in Spain (which admittedly isn't my best track). Now that I think about I do end up fairly low in qualifying compared to the race, but is almost always because I make up a lot of places during the opening laps.

I guess it's kinda hard to tell for me as I've been upping the difficulty by 5 every race so far trying to find the right amount of challenge. I started off at about 80 which should've roughly been the same as 2016's but it was incredibly easy in both quali and the race. 100 seems pretty nice so far, but I'll have to see what it's like after the update.

Getting 5th or more engine component and early gearbox change and subsequent penalties are almost unvoidable in your first season due to the lack of durability upgrades, just open additional parts as you see fit. Using older parts in practice, saving newer ones for qualifying and race only, plus driving as little as possible in FP and qualifying help as well.

JDB

Banned
Using old parts in FP would give me a bad idea of what I can expect in the race, though. :p
I'm definitely throwing all my shitty parts on for Monaco, doubt I'll make it past the first lap in once piece anyway.

Zaru

Using old parts in FP would give me a bad idea of what I can expect in the race, though. :p

I mean... that's actually what real teams are doing with their engine parts. End-of-life engine parts are used for practice sessions because a failure doesn't matter much

I'm definitely throwing all my shitty parts on for Monaco, doubt I'll make it past the first lap in once piece anyway.

That is actually what real life F1 teams do. They use older engine parts and gearboxes in FP1 and FP2. You only need to pass those training programs, get a hang on the track and set up your car accordingly, those power losses from older engine parts don't really matter.

Jezbollah

Did the Bahrain GP until 1:30am-ish this morning.

Sexy patch is sexy. I was taken aback by the new car models and T wings.

Zaru

Can you see anywhere if you have grid penalities during a week-end?

I have the same question because I got a 5 place penalty yesterday without changing any parts I know of...

On a completely DIFFERENT note:
Am I the only one who thinks lean mix actually slows down the car in corners where you're coasting? As in, changing to lean mix right before braking makes the braking distance shorter and makes it easier to drive through the corner itself, even though you're not accelerating at all. I subjectively gained several tenths during a Monza race yesterday by doing that - which is crazy because it also saves fuel.

Kalor

I got this yesterday and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I've messed with previous games but the cars are a lot of fun to drive this year. I don't think I realised the speed difference in the McLarens until now. I'll use DRS and barely make up any distance to whoevers ahead.

JDB

Banned
Turn 13 fucks me up in Singapore. That small movement to the right before the brakingzone is always scary. Overall it's not too bad, though. At least I can finish a race without crashing out every other lap. In 200+ hours of F1 2016 I was never able to finish a Monaco race unless I used rewind constantly which isn't fun.

Jezbollah

I had an incredible race at Monaco last night (97 Skill level). McLaren, second season in, all Horsepower upgrades applied except for the Ultimate (due next race in Canada), rest on durability. Did shit during practice - only got half the amount of research points due to me being shit. Somehow got through to Q3 after going out immediately and on minimal fuel. Put a lap of the gods in to qualify third.

Race had the track dry for two thirds of the race, with rain hitting the last third. Decided to go for an Ultra/Ultra/SuperSoft strategy, with the SS window just as the rain was due to hit. Got a flier at the start (I've sort of perfected the starts). Managed to squeeze into the lead into turn one. Then proceeded to try and go as fast as I could on the ultras while not crashing and having a convoy behind me for the first pitstop.

At the second pitstop window, rain was falling but not enough for Inters. Had to take the Super Softs which pissed me off. Then with 8 laps to go it got worse, and I just passed Rascass just as Jeff pitched the change in strategy. Pitted in, put the inters on. Got out of the pits in 12th just as Kimi lapped me. I then unlap myself within seconds, and then start a pursuit of everyone in the last 7 laps. Only two of those ahead of me on super softs pitted for ints, the rest deciding to stay out.

Then I chase everyone else down going 5 seconds a lap faster. I go into the last lap in 5th, then manage to snatch 2nd going out of the last corner. Kimi was 1 minute up the road.

That was a hell of race.

Jezbollah

Oh, if anyone here doesnt know - get used to operating the differential.

The softer the compound, the higher the percentage. It can do a lot to solve understeer/oversteer.

Juicy Bob

I had an incredible race at Monaco last night (97 Skill level). McLaren, second season in, all Horsepower upgrades applied except for the Ultimate (due next race in Canada), rest on durability. Did shit during practice - only got half the amount of research points due to me being shit. Somehow got through to Q3 after going out immediately and on minimal fuel. Put a lap of the gods in to qualify third.

Race had the track dry for two thirds of the race, with rain hitting the last third. Decided to go for an Ultra/Ultra/SuperSoft strategy, with the SS window just as the rain was due to hit. Got a flier at the start (I've sort of perfected the starts). Managed to squeeze into the lead into turn one. Then proceeded to try and go as fast as I could on the ultras while not crashing and having a convoy behind me for the first pitstop.

At the second pitstop window, rain was falling but not enough for Inters. Had to take the Super Softs which pissed me off. Then with 8 laps to go it got worse, and I just passed Rascass just as Jeff pitched the change in strategy. Pitted in, put the inters on. Got out of the pits in 12th just as Kimi lapped me. I then unlap myself within seconds, and then start a pursuit of everyone in the last 7 laps. Only two of those ahead of me on super softs pitted for ints, the rest deciding to stay out.

Then I chase everyone else down going 5 seconds a lap faster. I go into the last lap in 5th, then manage to snatch 2nd going out of the last corner. Kimi was 1 minute up the road.

That was a hell of race.
This is what I love about these games. Long races can be really immersive and feel awesome when they develop organically like that.

Jezbollah

This is what I love about these games. Long races can be really immersive and feel awesome when they develop organically like that.

It was brilliant. I was shaking when I crossed the finish line. The amount of times I was pushing and almost threw it into the barriers was insane. So rewarding.

I won the Canadian GP yesterday. Wet weekend all three days. That was a doozie as well :)

Top Bottom