• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2017 announced for 25th August 2017 (PS4, XB1, PC)

ramparter

Banned
I'm actually skipping Forza for now because I prefer career modes with actual races. Stuff like qualifying, flags, and strategies are just more fun to me.
You know I just realized this what I dont like about Forza games. I always start them excited but soon it feels like Im playing individual disconnected races. I missed playing an actual career, I think I'll be gettting this one.

I find this to be so random, I have the difficulty set now at a point where practice and qualifying is pretty much written off and too difficult, then in the first corner I go up the inside and find myself going from 18th to 6th, then I'll have a train behind me until the pit stops. Also a sc will come out, I'll be the only one who pits, then I win the race in a bloody mclaren lol

Certinty

The AI in this game is the worst part about it. Too reluctant to be aggrssive and overtake you, too easy to divebomb and overtake, dumb strategy decisions and uneven AI difficulties on different tracks. Always the same crap every year with the AI.

The AI in this game is the worst part about it. Too reluctant to be aggrssive and overtake you, too easy to divebomb and overtake, dumb strategy decisions and uneven AI difficulties on different tracks. Always the same crap every year with the AI.

Yeah it is just never resolved is it. How the review scores are so favourable I'll never know. It's like the reviewers don't really have a clue.

Juicy Bob

Yeah it is just never resolved is it. How the review scores are so favourable I'll never know. It's like the reviewers don't really have a clue.
As someone who actually reviewed the game, I take offence to that.

I've been playing F1 games on consoles and PC for the vast majority of my life. I remember getting Formula 1 '97 on PS1 for my eighth birthday and Grand Prix 3 for Christmas in 2000 and loving both to death even though they were completely different.

Codemasters series have been flawed and I've been critical of them for the silly bullshit that has affected their games with the bugs and glitches, but I happily stand by claiming that the last two entries have been the best the series has ever been.

Yeah, the handling isn't fully simulation and they still take away the player's control for things like pitstops and after crossing the line and other little things that stop it from being that fully realistic experience those hardcore fans of us want, but as a single player racing game, F1 2017 is prehaps the best we've ever had on consoles.

I do 100% distance races and when you are in the midst of a long race, it can be incredibly immersive.

I've been 48 laps into a boring race in Bahrain only for the Safety Car to be deployed because of an entirely believable accident between two AI cars that happened the complete opposite side of the circuit from where I was and I took advantage to switch to new tyres and pass a bunch of cars at the restart to take the first points of my career.

It felt so fucking cool because it was both organic and believeable and something I'd never experienced in an F1 game before even though it actually happens in real life. It was the kind of scenario that just isn't possible in 90% of F1 games throughout history that didn't have the Safety Car included - and it wouldn't ever happen in Project CARS 2, Forza 7 or GT Sport either because none of those games have that feature either.

The AI is actually pretty good on lap one. Sure, you can gain an unrealistic amount of positions at turn one, but you know what? Go back and play Grand Prix 3 or 4 or Formula 1 '97 or any of the F1 games that are held up for being the true classics and potentially the best ever. You can cheat the AI in those games MUCH more than you can in F1 2016 or 2017. I know. I've played them all.

There are so many elements involved in the current games, like fuel and tyre management, engine reliability simulated (how many F1 games have actually done that, as opposed to random failures?) the R&D system allowing you to actually take a slow team like Sauber to be Constructors' Champions (again, unique to CM games) the ability to change differential and brake bias on the fly (rare for console games), manual pit limiter, manual race starts by releasing the clutch, practice programmes to complete, fairly realistic damage modelling, AI that does actually battle each other and is fun to race against, the ability to literally speak to your engineer to get information about your car or the race... these games are rich in features that work to make it the most immersive official F1 game series we've ever had on consoles, full stop. And I say that from a lifetime of experience.

Yes, there are flaws with these games. They're not perfect, they can be samey year-to-year and it's not as hardcore a simulation as a lot would like. But at some point it begins to feel like people are actively overlooking the qualities of the games and instead choosing to see them as bad, rather than being willing to give credit where credit's due.

JDB

Banned
So about the same as 2016's AI? That's too bad. It's not awful, but it's definitely a thing that stands out a lot after playing a fair bit. It makes overtaking feel a lot cheaper when the other car just gets out of the way every time you get even close to it. On the flip side AI drivers love to ram into you from the back (even when driving perfectly straight!) and try to get into gaps that aren't there when you're about to take a corner while in the racing line. I also hear ya about dumb strategy decisions. I've seen drivers pit right after a safety car and right before wet track conditions way too many times. Again feels cheap if you win because you stay out one more lap than you planned because the track was about to get really wet. Meanwhile all the other cars pit right before and have to pit again a lap after because of the rain. That also reminds me that I think it's weird that there's always a 100% cut-off point where every team decides that right now is the exact moment that intermediates are better and literally everyone pits straight away. Wish it wasn't quite as all or nothing as it was in 2016. (maybe it's better in 2017, I don't know.)

drowsy

The AI is way more enjoyable if you stop treating it as AI and think of it as human players. You can totally pull off ridiculous divebombs if you want to, but the only reason it works is because the AI doesn't want to crash into you, even in situations where a human player probably would. Similarly, give the AI a car's width to work with in corners and don't block like an asshole. When the options are to either crash or slow down, the AI is going to slow down because at the end of the day it's there to serve you, the player, and not to punish you for your mistakes.

I basically race the AI exactly like I'd race anyone in iRacing (where you are straight up punished for any contact), and it's good fun. For the most part, anyway. There's certainly flaws that frankly should have been fixed years ago (inconsistency between tracks, stupid strategies in combination wet/dry races), but the AI in these games is the best racing AI I've ever raced, and I've been at this racket on the regular since GP2. Out of the current crop of games, RaceRoom is the only one that comes close.

Fox Mulder

The AI has issues, but are better if you show them respect and don't just mug them all over the track and dive bomb into every corner. Most real F1 drivers don't race like that anyways.

I've had exciting side by side racing through multiple corners where they hang with you. They go off track and cause accidents. They're better than the drivatar shit in Forza and don't just hang on a line like the old days of racing games.

Megasoum

Banned
Just finished Monaco...man... fuck that track lol... I hate it with a passion.

At least the FIA knows it too because they reward you with Canada afterward.

Tubie

I was doing really well on my Haas at 60 difficulty till that damn track :|

It all goes much easier after it at least, even Baku was surprisingly easy.

Randdalf

I just can't reliably do the hairpin with these cars and a controller. I "accidentally" crashed on the first lap, what a shame :(

Lach

I'm continuosly increase the difficulty (currently at 88%) because I think I'm getting better. I keep driving my Sauber into the points, though it differs from track to track. Canada I was fighting the whole time and got P16, Baku I got P6 (thanks to a tumultuos race). I have corner line and minimal brake assist on.

And the getting better is not due to upgrades either. Those Sauber Mechanics are the worst ever. Apart from the first update, every single one since has failed the first time around.

Baku has been a bit of a highlight for me, because the GP was as crazy as it's real life counterpart. Lot's of crashes into the castle section (and not even because of me). Ended up 6th behind Mercs, Ferraris and Riccardio, having to battle with Verstappen for the last 10 laps. I chose a low downforce setup and thanks to that I was able to build a gap on the straight and keep him behind in S1 and 2.

Fox Mulder

The AI is better on some tracks than others, but you'll also see some career boost against them due to their older engines.

I recently just said fuck it and popped a fifth engine on as I was already getting fucked with a gearbox grid penalty.

Megasoum

Banned
So completing successfully invitational during your career helps you in your tech tree but how does it work since you always get a choice of two... Do you get the same two choices in your second season giving you a chance to complete the second one of each choices?

Fox Mulder

Wow, the safety car sure can really fuck a race up. It wasn't this retarded last year.

Lapped AI cars don't seem to get a pass and get blue flag immediately when the race resumes and just get in the way. Also saw three cars get disqualified and like a dozen others get drive through penalties for falling too far back.

Fox Mulder

Signed with Red Bull after a season with Haas and damn this car is such an improvement.

I'm with Toro Rosso and have barely made any upgrades. Shit is expensive and I'm focused on durability and cost reduction instead.

It's so fun to get out of a lower midfield car and drive beasts at the invitational events.

Jezbollah

Can you get custom helmet designs in F1 2017? The reason I ask is that Arrava has a nice Captain America Civil War design in his current videos..

Fox Mulder

Can you get custom helmet designs in F1 2017? The reason I ask is that Arrava has a nice Captain America Civil War design in his current videos..

You can have custom anything on pc.

Would be nice to have more options for helmets though. They are all so cheap and basic next to the real designs the AI use.

You can have custom anything on pc.

Would be nice to have more options for helmets though. They are all so cheap and basic next to the real designs the AI use.

It sounds minor but I find the helmets a real distraction on console because they look so poor in comparison with those run by the real drivers.

If they could just overlay the standard team decals (Honda H etc, white halo) that drivers are expected to run at a specific team on the standard helmets once you start your season that would be a fantastic addition and help the level of realism (as well as a simple way to make the colours matte...).

I say it every year, this game needs a Forza-style graphics editor to make changes to helmets, cars, trackside graphics etc in game, so we could run the full liveries etc on consoles too.

Fox Mulder

Licensing will only let them do so much. I would love an age gate so we could at least get the Martini livery. Nascar Heat lets you have alcohol sponsors and it still has an E rating. They know many of their fans are adults.

The late season grid penalties need some work too. At Brazil in season 1 and there's 17 cars with grid penalties putting Saubers on the front row. Was just as bad at Mexico the race before.

I guess AI is taking separate penalties each race as components age instead of tossing in a new PU at once.

Randdalf

5DC8E26F69E7463309B138A877214A34E2EA0071

I don't think I understood the appeal of photo modes in games until now...

more of a general question towards F1 games - why is it that they don't include circuits not active now but were active, say, for the last 5 years, in the game? e.g. Korea, India, Hockenheim, Nurburgring. Is it because of licensing?

Megasoum

Banned
more of a general question towards F1 games - why is it that they don't include circuits not active now but were active, say, for the last 5 years, in the game? e.g. Korea, India, Hockenheim, Nurburgring. Is it because of licensing?

Yup, the FOM licenses are crazy restrictive.

Fox Mulder

Yup, the FOM licenses are crazy restrictive.

They've lightened up the last few years though. I'd think that getting classic tracks shouldn't be that different than classic cars really.

Stuff like classic Monza that's in project cars wouldn't fit though.

If we're never going to get an editor, I hope Codies could find a way to do something along the lines of EA's 2002 game F1 Career Challenge (or F1 Challenge 99-02 in some territories).

That game had effectively had four seasons of F1 in one game, with driver moves, team changes, livery updates etc playing out as they did in real life. Your avatar just took someone's place as now.

When Codemasters did 2015 and included the 2014 season, I kind of hoped this might be the route they'd eventually go down - at least it would allow for the sense of progression through seasons.

xrnzaaas

If we're never going to get an editor, I hope Codies could find a way to do something along the lines of EA's 2002 game F1 Career Challenge (or F1 Challenge 99-02 in some territories).

That game had effectively had four seasons of F1 in one game, with driver moves, team changes, livery updates etc playing out as they did in real life. Your avatar just took someone's place as now.

When Codemasters did 2015 and included the 2014 season, I kind of hoped this might be the route they'd eventually go down - at least it would allow for the sense of progression through seasons.

Yeah the licenses are probably the main obstacle here, both from the owners (Liberty Media) wanting the game to focus on the current season and the costs for purchasing the rights to multiple seasons (and combining them together for the purpose of the career mode).

Juicy Bob

Keep in mind, Codemasters' current F1 licence deal was signed during the Bernie era.

When that expires, they will be negotiating with Liberty Media instead, who could be much less restrictive than the FOM of old.

sTiTcH AU

Just bought the game and had a go for a few hours. I am super impressed so far.

I felt that with 2016 they got a lot of the little things about f1 right (finally) but the actual driving (especially with a wheel) was still below average.

I was blown away with how 2017 drives with my fanatec csw v2 rig (playing on xbox one). For the first time I have not felt a total disconnect with the road using my wheel especially without assists. It remdinded me of the first time i drove on assetto corsa on pc after being on iracing for so long, you just feel like a driving god.

Whether or not its more realistic i dont care, it just instantly feels soooo good.

You know I just realized this what I dont like about Forza games. I always start them excited but soon it feels like Im playing individual disconnected races. I missed playing an actual career, I think I'll be gettting this one.

Forza really needs to step up it's racing game, it's been the SAME for what, 6+ games now.

The original Gran Turismo on ps1 had basic qualifying and it was perfect as a base other games should be working off.

WoolyNinja

Just bought the game and had a go for a few hours. I am super impressed so far.

I felt that with 2016 they got a lot of the little things about f1 right (finally) but the actual driving (especially with a wheel) was still below average.

I was blown away with how 2017 drives with my fanatec csw v2 rig (playing on xbox one). For the first time I have not felt a total disconnect with the road using my wheel especially without assists. It remdinded me of the first time i drove on assetto corsa on pc after being on iracing for so long, you just feel like a driving god.

Whether or not its more realistic i dont care, it just instantly feels soooo good.

I completely agree with you. I'm not the greatest racer but I was quickly able to dial in a setting that worked for me (with a wheel - Experienced, with a controller - Experienced with Automatic) and this game feels unlike anything else I've played with the T300RS. I can feel I'm going through a turn too fast, I can feel if my back tires are starting to slip and can correct it, etc. Its been an amazing experience so far.

I'm afraid a lot of people are skipping it due to Project Cars, Forza and GT coming out so soon which is a shame. This is the best feeling racer I've played.

Fox Mulder

Ferrari sure has some high demands for the #2 driver in the career. Top two in everything or get fucked.

Kimi gets off easy in real life.

Randdalf

I completely agree with you. I'm not the greatest racer but I was quickly able to dial in a setting that worked for me (with a wheel - Experienced, with a controller - Experienced with Automatic) and this game feels unlike anything else I've played with the T300RS. I can feel I'm going through a turn too fast, I can feel if my back tires are starting to slip and can correct it, etc. Its been an amazing experience so far.

I'm afraid a lot of people are skipping it due to Project Cars, Forza and GT coming out so soon which is a shame. This is the best feeling racer I've played.

I did a race on Hungary where I was in a train with a bunch of cars, and I genuinely felt for the first time in a game like this I was actually racing the AI. I spent about six laps trying to squeeze every millisecond I could, until Massa made a mistake trying to overtake Hulkenberg and I nabbed him in turn 2. It feels really good nailing a lap in this game. Doing the same thing in the race is even better.

Fox Mulder

Ian Bell of SMS was in a pcars 2 stream chat and said they recently looked into the f1 license with Liberty but Codemasters just signed another 3 years.

Haven't seen that confirmed anywhere else though.

NHale

Ian Bell of SMS was in a pcars 2 stream chat and said they recently looked into the f1 license with Liberty but Codemasters just signed another 3 years.

Great! Let's hope Liberty gives them more freedom with license, like having a proper career mode with drivers moving to different teams, new drivers coming in, maybe even allowing the feeder series to be in the game. I would love to start a career in GP2 for example.

The series has a lot of potential to evolve that unfortunately is being denied by the license holder.

Zaru

Remember when there were various unlicensed F1 games that just replaced team, track and driver names with slightly different ones?

I guess that's not gonna happen in the current market

kiyomi

Remember when there were various unlicensed F1 games that just replaced team, track and driver names with slightly different ones?

Motorsport Manager is the closest thing to that now I guess.

xrnzaaas

Nice, I wonder why Codemasters didn't make any announcement, this is something you should rather be proud of. :) Hopefully the new deal will give Codemasters more freedom and expand to new content like full historical seasons.

It won't happen as a separate AAA game considering the development costs these days, because a large part of the appeal is to feel like you're an F1 driver, not that you can drive a Formula car which looks a lot like the real F1 model.

Top Bottom