• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2017 announced for 25th August 2017 (PS4, XB1, PC)

Megasoum

Banned
I'm still trying to fine tune the difficulty level. I started my career with Haas so I want a good challenge and I don't want to win races.

Started at 75% and couldn't even complete the practice programs lol. Dropped it down to 50% for FP2 and got through the programs with like 1sec ahead of the goals...

Put it at 60% for the qualifications and got 16th with only one hot lap (I didn't really try too hard) and my goal was 15th so not too bad.

I finished the race 9th right behind my teammate so again not too bad.

Those practice programs are brutal tho... I still can't do the fuel saving one... I wasn't having that much issus in 2016.

I have to say, modern F1 engine sound makes it difficult to up shift at the proper time... You really need to shit waaaayyy earlier than when it sounds like you should... Annoying.

Zaru

Those practice programs are brutal tho... I still can't do the fuel saving one... I wasn't having that much issus in 2016.

Same boat. I'm having no issue with the other practice programs, but fuel saving? I don't even know where to start. Any lifting and coasting I try just results in unacceptable lap times. I assume it'll click eventually but right now I'm at a complete loss on how to get purple.

Megasoum

Banned
Just finished China.... I think my engine was smoking for at least half the race hahaha. Crazy close race with my teammate tho... He was passing me with DRS and then I was re-taking the position at the breaking.

Yeah... I feel like the whole Engine package/gearbox reliability will get very problematic very quickly lol

T Ghost

Game is sold out in my area (Greater Boston-Central Mass). Best Buy, Target, Walmart, Toys'r'us. Never thought would need to pre-order an F1 game. Had to go to a Gamestop in Worcester for a physical copy. I had forgotten how repugnant Gamestop is. Stinky store, REALLY weird and scary customers, terrible shopping experience. I can't stand Gamestop. #firstworldproblems #coolstorybro

Amerzel

Neo Member
Game tears like crazy on PS4. Forced 1080 on my Pro and still don't have a stable image. Fuck this.

That's a big bummer. I'm not a gigantic F1 fan but do enjoy the games. Planning on picking it up for Xbox when ever it goes on sale, assuming the Xbox One X version is actually good.

KdotIX

Kicked off a career at McLaren. First race: Australia. All assists off apart from braking line.

Magnussen suffered terminal damage, Bottas' engine blew up - caused a safety car and I benefited massively from that, Hamilton had a problem which caused him to do a 3 minute lap, then he went and got fastest lap at the end.

I came 3rd after fighting with Verstappen. At 75% difficulty - might need to notch it up a little.

Also, the engine wear is real! my ICE unit is at 55% and I'm in a dilemma whether to race it in China or save it for Moncaco.

Surprised there's not more chat about the state of the multiplayer, I know it's not just me because a number of friends were mentioning the shit fest last night too. Lucky code masters that it seems to be flying under the radar for some reason.

Zaru

Finished my first career race, but I'm not entirely sure if I'm on the right difficulty.
I managed to qualify 8th in a Toro Rosso and that was the extent of my current ability, but then the race was in light rain and I ended up winning.
It's funny that the race strategy didn't even offer me a 1-stop option when that was clearly the best option (since I ended up doing just that)

Randdalf

Just did my second McLaren career race in China, also my first race in China with medium traction control. Once my tyres were a few laps old, I was struggling so much with some of the corners, particularly the hairpin at the end of the back straight - so much understeer. I'm having problems where I'm trying to feather the throttle to stop wheel spin, but its so subtle that the car just doesn't rotate.

I also used my 2nd power unit components in that race, I feel some penalties coming my way as soon as Monaco... I'm going to play the long game and save up for the "future upgrades cost less" upgrades before rushing through the power unit tech tree.

Jezbollah

Hey guys. Thinking about getting this on PC, initially to play with XB1 pad and then later on with a wheel + pedals.

What is the general best quality Wheel/Pedals for around £200 for F1 2016/2017?

Cheers for any thoughts.

sam777

Hey guys. Thinking about getting this on PC, initially to play with XB1 pad and then later on with a wheel + pedals.

What is the general best quality Wheel/Pedals for around £200 for F1 2016/2017?

Cheers for any thoughts.

G920 or the G29. Currys/PC World currently have 20% off on them making them £160 with a gearstick as well.

Shaneus

Jesus Christ, figured I might get this with the $50AUD (roughly $40USD) I got for my birthday... and it's $60USD? Yikes.

mxgt

Banned
Oooh sweet. Thanks for that - will take a look.

Only thing I will say about the G920 is that the Brake pedal fucking sucks.

there's a rubber inside it which makes it insanely difficult to depress it all the way.

As a result I use the clutch pedal for braking because I don't want to take it apart and remove the rubber.

NHale

Plenty of tearing on a Pro 4k which disappointed me on the first lap.

It's really obvious too when you are in slow turns or go off the track, hopefully that will be patched quickly.

Yep. After the first day of playing it I didn't noticed it because I played Silverstone short and Interlagos. But yesterday I tried Monza and it tears like a beast everytime at the first chicane. I would bet it dips to 40 fps or even lower. It's quite significant. I think the first Lesmos it also drops to ~50fps. The rest is quite smooth.

Surprised there's not more chat about the state of the multiplayer, I know it's not just me because a number of friends were mentioning the shit fest last night too. Lucky code masters that it seems to be flying under the radar for some reason.

I believe it's because everyone knows Codemasters F1 games are just an exercise in frustration every single year. First couple of weeks it's matchmaking issues (I still remember when the hoppers didn't work and you simply couldn't connect to any server irc F1 2015) then it's the entire experience of racing. You either drive against ghosts (what is the fun in that) or you can either expect to get rammed on the 1st corner or you race against people cutting every single corner without penalties. Seriously I love online racing but I play F1 online at most 3 hours every year.

Just bought the PC version, quick question - does this support the Xbox One controller's vibrating triggers? I swear I can feel them being used on braking and the rumble strips, but I also swear that I remember it being exclusive to Windows Store games.

Megasoum

Banned
Just bought the PC version, quick question - does this support the Xbox One controller's vibrating triggers? I swear I can feel them being used on braking and the rumble strips, but I also swear that I remember it being exclusive to Windows Store games.

Haven't tried it myself but there's an option for it in the menu so I assume it is.

Stefarno

The bugs in the multiplayer are just ridiculous - it's totally unacceptable to release a game like this.

Offline isn't much better - the part wear scaling (to take into account shorter race distances) is still on in practice and qualifying so if you use 25% race distances you'll burn up parts in no time at all.

Megasoum

Banned
The bugs in the multiplayer are just ridiculous - it's totally unacceptable to release a game like this.

Offline isn't much better - the part wear scaling (to take into account shorter race distances) is still on in practice and qualifying so if you use 25% race distances you'll burn up parts in no time at all.

Oh... Well that explains it...

Zaru

I'm driving at 50% and the part wear made me think "wait, that can't be right"
That would explain a lot.

Megasoum

Banned
Started driving from the cockpit view and enjoying it but I wish there was a bit more indication when DRS is available other than the small led on the wheel...

I miss the orange bar filling up.

Upinsmoke

I had a strange issue yesterday. I was doing 100 percent race distance at Melbourne in the McLaren (no jokes please) , so I'm on about lap 20 or so and I come round the final corner and the car just totally bogs down but all my system parts are in the green, temps are fine no excessive wear etc and it just doesn't pick up speed for a few seconds. What I can't understand is there is no indication I have a problem, my engineer isn't saying so, the UDP isn't indicating anything and I have no idea why it's only happening at that turn when I take it in fourth iirc and its not the only corner I use that gear in. So Im starting to think bug or at least a bug not showing a component fault. Also my ps4 pro sounded like it was about to take off!

ksimm

Horrible tearing on PS4 PRO, and it really makes the fan work. 2016 worked great in Boost mode, and 2017 doesn't appear to look any better, so no idea what they did wrong here. Hopefully they can patch it for a smoother experience.

FeD.nL

Started driving from the cockpit view and enjoying it but I wish there was a bit more indication when DRS is available other than the small led on the wheel...

I miss the orange bar filling up.

There is a soundcue that indicates DRS is available.

Enjoying it so far, but indeed the tearing on Ps4 pro (1080p) is a downer.

xrnzaaas

So anyone playing this on a standard PS4? I assume the tearing is even worse?

Still it's probably (more or less) fixable, Assetto Corsa was also horrible in that regard after launch and they dealt with it.

Juicy Bob

I've not noticed any tearing on standard PS4.

That's not to say that it's not there, but I've been playing it for hours and never noticed anything to make me go 'this is bad' graphically.

Then again, I feel I'm a lot less sensitive to graphical things compared to the average gaffer.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I've not noticed any tearing on standard PS4.

That's not to say that it's not there, but I've been playing it for hours and never noticed anything to make me go 'this is bad' graphically.

Then again, I feel I'm a lot less sensitive to graphical things compared to the average gaffer.

lucky. screen tearing bugs me so much that's why i got it on PC. i'm playing it at 1440p 60fps completely maxed out and don't think it looks that great. i mean it's not bad but i was expecting more. it's just mostly the quality of stuff like objects and buildings that bothers me which i guess i can't complain too much about since it's a racing game after all.

Juicy Bob

lucky. screen tearing bugs me so much that's why i got it on PC. i'm playing it at 1440p 60fps completely maxed out and don't think it looks that great. i mean it's not bad but i was expecting more. it's just mostly the quality of stuff like objects and buildings that bothers me which i guess i can't complain too much about since it's a racing game after all.
As someone who has been spending a lot of time over the last few weeks struggling like hell to get old sim games like Grand Prix 3 and NR2003 to run to a half-decent level even on a modern PC, F1 2017 looks amazing to me on PS4.

I mean, you're playing at 1440p at 60fps. That would be fucking amazing to me. And you honestly feel disappointed?

I feel like I'm a different species to some of you.

Jezbollah

As someone who has been spending a lot of time over the last few weeks struggling like hell to get old sim games like Grand Prix 3 and NR2003 to run to a half-decent level even on a modern PC, F1 2017 looks amazing to me on PS4.

I mean, you're playing at 1440p at 60fps. That would be fucking amazing to me. And you honestly feel disappointed?

I feel like I'm a different species to some of you.

lol.

I know how you feel. F1 games have never looked better.

Zaru

I'm kind of surprised so many logical issues made it through pre-release testing.

Scaled part wear, weird safety car instructions, race AI being much slower than practice/quali AI etc....
These aren't obscure issues or anything.

Nothing that breaks the game for me but I hope none of those end up on the "never patched" list

Jezbollah

The strange thing is that there was plenty of open Beta testing.

Lets hope that Codemasters have already ID'd this stuff and have a fix in the works.

Bobnob

Only thing I will say about the G920 is that the Brake pedal fucking sucks.

there's a rubber inside it which makes it insanely difficult to depress it all the way.

As a result I use the clutch pedal for braking because I don't want to take it apart and remove the rubber.
Remove it, its easy and worth it if you're not that bothered about the warranty.

So I had to replace all my engine components and gearbox after Bahrain. Is this normal or am I pushing the car too hard? Any tips on how to not do this if that's the case?

WoolyNinja

I skipped the last few years, but grabbed this one to use with my TS300 while I wait for Gran Turismo Sport and the driving in F1 2017 feels great! I also love the different tasks they give you to do during the practice sessions as it gives them a bit of urgency they wouldn't have otherwise.

All in all really happy with my purchase.

NHale

I'm kind of surprised so many logical issues made it through pre-release testing.

Scaled part wear, weird safety car instructions, race AI being much slower than practice/quali AI etc....

Nothing that breaks the game for me but I hope none of those end up on the "never patched" list

The scaled part wear breaks the career completely unless you don't drive practice sessions (which will decrease your research points) because you will have to serve a bunch of penalties during the season.

Of course if you drive 100% races then it doesn't apply. As it stands right now, I'm not touching career until they patch it which will probably happen 1 month from now....

Randdalf

I think this was an issue in F1 2016 as well. Are they actually slower? To me it always felt like the AI wasn't affected by track grip levels in practice like the player was, which meant that until P3, you were basically getting pasted by them all the time and certain types of practice programmes were a lot harder, such as the qualifying one.

Zaru

I think this was an issue in F1 2016 as well. Are they actually slower? To me it always felt like the AI wasn't affected by track grip levels in practice like the player was, which meant that until P3, you were basically getting pasted by them all the time and certain types of practice programmes were a lot harder, such as the qualifying one.
But this feels different. In Quali I'm nowhere near the top teams (1.5 seconds behind pole), which feels correct with my mid-field team on a saturday. On race day, I can easily hang with the best. That's at least a difficulty level of difference. It was nothing like that in F1 2016.

Pjsprojects

Whats the overall graphics like between X1s & PS4 slim?
Tempted to go X1s due to controller but not if its rough comoared to PS4 slim.

Randdalf

But this feels different. In Quali I'm nowhere near the top teams (1.5 seconds behind pole), which feels correct with my mid-field team on a saturday. On race day, I can easily hang with the best. That's at least a difficulty level of difference. It was nothing like that in F1 2016.

Fair enough. I haven't got the difficulty quite right yet in my game. I'm 0.5s ahead of Alonso in quali, and about 10s ahead of him in the race, and getting lapped by the Mercedes anyway. Perhaps my McLaren is so crap that I can't tell haha.

The scaled part wear breaks the career completely unless you don't drive practice sessions (which will decrease your research points) because you will have to serve a bunch of penalties during the season.

Of course if you drive 100% races then it doesn't apply. As it stands right now, I'm not touching career until they patch it which will probably happen 1 month from now....

I'm playing as Mclaren, so it feels pretty authentic and I'll carry on, lol not even mad. At least it's something to do while the multiplayer is utterly fucked. I'm not sure what they should fix first. What a mess.

Zaru

Leaving the early bugs aside, this game can still deliver some great moments.

Third career race in Bahrain. Bold start left me in a Toro Rosso fighting for 2nd position, somehow spun out poor Kimi while defending.
Couldn't catch up to Bottas and had Hamilton chasing me from a safe distance at first.
Then. First pit stop, time to change to mediums. All drivers at the front chose the same strategy.
Didn't matter for Bottas though. He had to retire the car in front of me. What was meant to be a hard-fought 2nd place could now turn into a win! But how?
1-stopping was, as usual, not even an option for the team's initial strategy. But I looked at my tyre wear and... with Hamilton closing in and my measly Renault definitely not offering any resistance on a DRS straight, I decided on a bold move.
I tried to get that tyre set to the end, beyond all predictions. No more stops, unlike Hamilton.
So there I was, 10 laps to go, Hamilton on softer, fresher tyres one pitstop delta behind me.
Every lap he was gaining 2 seconds on me. It was going to be damn close.
Then the bugged part wear set in. Gearbox failure! 3rd gear was missing, making me slide out of slow corners. And the engine was not delivering full power either. I was getting warnings for pretty much every part.
This continued until... the last lap. My gearbox miraculously recovered. Tyres were at 75% or so wear, potentially bursting anytime. No spare fuel. Hamilton had caught up to DRS range and was breathing down my neck.

By the skin of my teeth, I dragged that failing Toro Rosso over the line with Hamilton basically alongside me.

God fucking damn was that close.

WoolyNinja

People looking for a great racing game while waiting for Project Cars 2, Forza or GT Sport should seriously give this game a look. I'm loving every minute of it so far and there are so many difficulty options that its quite easy to find settings that make the game fun for everybody!

Top Bottom