• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F3AR revealed.Yes, it's named F3AR, so original.

Odrion

Banned
plagiarize said:
two sequels is 'constantly craping out sequels' now?
and the two or three expansion packs, but yes them immediately cranking out a third game after the second is the studio crapping out a sequel.

Odrion

Banned
the first fear isn't even canon to the second fear, that's a moot point anyhow. monolith is pooping out a third game in their most generic ass generic franchise ever.

Odrion said:
the first fear isn't even canon to the second fear, that's a moot point anyhow. monolith is pooping out a third game in their most generic ass generic franchise ever.
you are a strange one.

and i hope you don't like ANY games with a 3 in the title.

nexen

ArjanN said:
crackdown_(11).jpg
:lol :lol :lol

Holy crap @ that box art.

Turtleneck storm trooper?
Random devil goat?
Sasquatch?

That is a thing of beauty.

Feindflug

plagiarize said:
shut the fuck up and go play NOLF2. no one who made a sequel that awesome should stop making sequels.

FEAR2 was a bit of a let down compared to the awesome first, but i'd say like, FEAR 10/10 FEAR 2 8/10. the DLC was short, but really good. makes me feel like FEAR 2 just needed more time.

It's a monolith fps. so therefore it will be good to great. i'll play it.

FEAR 2 is a 8/10? :lol

why don't you take Monolith's dick out of your ass and stop defending them - they fucked up Blood, Condemned & F.E.A.R. :(

MMaRsu

Banned
hipgnosis said:
What an awful name. :lol Companies still do this shit? It was cool like ten years ago.

Really? Show me a few examples aside from Se7en and Driv3r?

Who cares what they name it.. who cares about names? I'd play any game with a shitty name if the game is good.

Feindflug said:

why don't you take Monolith's dick out of your ass and stop defending them - they fucked up Blood, Condemned & F.E.A.R. :(

Did Monolith bury your grandma or something? Why don't you stop shitting on them. Condemned 2 was awesome, Blood 2 was awesome and FEAR2 was awesome.

Please, just because they CANT do a Nolf3, doesn't mean they suck. Who are you to say they fucked up those three games?

Xpliskin

ArjanN said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Best boxart ever.

EDIT:
On-topic, loved FEAR 1 & 2.
I hope they write a better story than in FEAR 2. It's better when all the fears make a little bit of sense. The files in-game were among the weirdest things I had ever read, not that it's important in an FPS but still.

Also, fix the way they render their humans or try a different style of modelling their characters. They always look like plastic. Compare them to say Crysis models and you'll know what I mean.

Completed all games made by that team (condemned 1&2 anyone ?) so I can't say I'm not excited :D

VaLiancY

Six pages and four of them are mainly the same "lol f34r. monolith so stupid".

Do we have any details or rumors to go by? I admit this did come from left field.

scitek

I played FEAR 2, then I played FEAR 1 because I liked 2 so much. 1 is the better game, but 2 is still a solid B+, I'd say. 2's more replayable, that's for damn sure. I got sick of the level design of the first, but preferred the AI and gun fights.

Feindflug

MMaRsu said:
Did Monolith bury your grandma or something? Why don't you stop shitting on them. Condemned 2 was awesome, Blood 2 was awesome and FEAR2 was awesome.

Please, just because they CANT do a Nolf3, doesn't mean they suck. Who are you to say they fucked up those three games?

No, they fucked up 3 great games with their mediocre sequels IMO - do you think that the above sequels are awesome? that's fine but can I say my opinion? ok thanks.

mr stroke

Feindflug said:

Yes

Fear 2 was quality, while not as good as the first, it was still a good game.(had the story and script been better it could have been amazing)

MMaRsu

Banned
Feindflug said:
No, they fucked up 3 great games with their mediocre sequels IMO - do you think that the above sequels are awesome? that's fine but can I say my opinion? ok thanks.

Ofcourse, in your opinion ;).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DigiMish said:
What? I don't even...
You don't even what? The game seems to have a lot of nostalgia surrounding it, but I just can't figure out why it is popular.

I mean, I was all over that game back when it was released. I spent days downloading the demo in chunks prior to release and bought the game shortly after release. It was so sloppy feeling all around. It had some kickass music in spots (especially the menus) and some of the ideas were cool, but the overall design just wasn't that hot.

I suppose it wasn't crap, but it definitely wasn't a great shooter either. Part of that is the fault of the absolutely awful Lith Tech engine. Terrible animation systems, no weight to anything, performance issues (ran worse than Unreal 1, Quake 2, and Half-Life), and other such problems held it back. As the tech progressed things improved a bit (NOLF and NOLF 2 felt quite a bit better), but it was never great. I still don't think any of their in-house technology is very good, to be honest. People were swooning over FEAR in 2005, but it was extremely boxy looking and focused only on shader effects. Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and Far Cry (which were all released a year prior) looked MUCH better than FEAR (and have aged better).

So, yeah, Shogo was a mediocre game for me...but I absolutely loathe the old Lith Tech engine.

Anyone else remember these shots, by the way?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

dark10x said:
You don't even what? The game seems to have a lot of nostalgia surrounding it, but I just can't figure out why it is popular.

I mean, I was all over that game back when it was released. I spent days downloading the demo in chunks prior to release and bought the game shortly after release. It was so sloppy feeling all around. It had some kickass music in spots (especially the menus) and some of the ideas were cool, but the overall design just wasn't that hot.

I suppose it wasn't crap, but it definitely wasn't a great shooter either. Part of that is the fault of the absolutely awful Lith Tech engine. Terrible animation systems, no weight to anything, performance issues (ran worse than Unreal 1, Quake 2, and Half-Life), and other such problems held it back. As the tech progressed things improved a bit (NOLF and NOLF 2 felt quite a bit better), but it was never great. I still don't think any of their in-house technology is very good, to be honest. People were swooning over FEAR in 2005, but it was extremely boxy looking and focused only on shader effects. Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and Far Cry (which were all released a year prior) looked MUCH better than FEAR (and have aged better).

So, yeah, Shogo was a mediocre game for me...but I absolutely loathe the old Lith Tech engine.

This is all pretty true :lol

It still has a place nestled in my heart though :D

Odrion said:
of all the monolith franchises to constantly crap out sequels, it has to be fear :(
Odrion said:
and the two or three expansion packs, but yes them immediately cranking out a third game after the second is the studio crapping out a sequel.
Odrion said:
We get it we get it, you don't like FEAR. Please stop trolling now.

Acosta said:
Hey, are you saying NOLF is not awesome? :( If they made a modern version of Blood it would be all dark and serious, they have passed too much time doing stuff like Condemned and F3AR. They need a change of tone for once (I would'n mind a new Shogo).

Blood was very dark, but not all that serious, more over the top actually.

AgentOtaku said:
Hey!

I like Blood2 =(

Yeah, me 2, though I can admit it was crap in a way, though it had a certain charm to it.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
dark10x said:
People were swooning over FEAR in 2005, but it was extremely boxy looking and focused only on shader effects. Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and Far Cry (which were all released a year prior) looked MUCH better than FEAR (and have aged better).
*squints*

Yeah, FEAR definitely has better graphics than Doom 3 and HL2 on a technical level. The design is usually more boring, but it basically takes the best of Doom 3's tech with the best of HL2's tech and brings them together, then adds awesome (for the time) shaders and particle effects that blew both those games away.

nexen

BobsRevenge said:
*squints*

Yeah, FEAR definitely has better graphics than Doom 3 and HL2 on a technical level. The design is usually more boring, but it basically takes the best of Doom 3's tech with the best of HL2's tech and brings them together, then adds awesome (for the time) shaders and particle effects that blew both those games away.

Hm. I never understood this. FEAR always looked kind of boring to me. I was mystified it got so much attention for its graphics.
I did like the displacement map bullet decals and the particle effects but I never noticed anything else standing out to me at the time.

Buttonbasher said:
GREAT NEWS.

I love titles like this. I think about them all the time! Por2l, Bayone2, Ho2l Dusk, Toki 2ri, 2rn Evolution, 2ales of Monkey Island, Re6dent Evil, Super Mario Galax3, Nin2ndogs, 2race Memory, 4llout, Beyond Good & 3vil, etc. Say them out loud.

I could do this all afternoon!
I'm quoting myself because you people didn't appreciate it.

Akai

AgentOtaku said:
FUCK!

The gunplay/combat feels so damn solid!

Can't be, most everyone in this thread is talking about what a bad game it is!

More like posters with bad taste.

Mar

Feindflug said:

Opinions are opinions. I liked Condemned 1 better than 2, but liked FEAR 2 better than the first.

All 4 games were great in their own ways (although I did go back to FEAR 1 not so long ago and through it was atrocious. It hasn't aged well at all).

To those saying Monolith should lay off the horror. I'm very very against that idea. They are about the only horror game company left, and I love that genre. I also believe they are very good at it too. Condemned 1 is a horror masterpiece. Condemned 2 and FEAR 2 less so, but still providing more atmosphere than most games released by other devs.

ArjanN

Mar said:
Opinions are opinions. I liked Condemned 1 better than 2, but liked FEAR 2 better than the first.

All 4 games were great in their own ways (although I did go back to FEAR 1 not so long ago and through it was atrocious. It hasn't aged well at all).

To those saying Monolith should lay off the horror. I'm very very against that idea. They are about the only horror game company left, and I love that genre. I also believe they are very good at it too. Condemned 1 is a horror masterpiece. Condemned 2 and FEAR 2 less so, but still providing more atmosphere than most games released by other devs.

This is pretty much how I feel. Monolith's still got it.

Also kind of sad they got so little credit for being one of the few developers to get doing DLC right with the Reborn DLC.

nexen

Akai said:
Can't be, most everyone in this thread is talking about what a bad game it is!

More like posters with bad taste.
¿Que? Most of what I read seems to say Fear has great gunplay. People are bitching about other things like story and graphics. Or at least I was. I love the gunplay in both Fear games.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
element said:
Monolith (WB) owns the Blood property.

Wikipedia said:
In terms of copyrights and ownership, Monolith sold the rights for Blood to GT Interactive who published the games; the company was later purchased by Infogrames which has since been renamed to Atari.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_(video_game)

So the chance of a new Blood game ever being developed is probably less than zero :(

Mar

sgnhh said:
The guy on the left has bullets wrapped around his arm and their guns are shooting fire.

Just as well. If it was shooting bullets they'd rip his arm off. He's smarter than he looks obviously.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
dark10x said:
People were swooning over FEAR in 2005, but it was extremely boxy looking and focused only on shader effects. Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and Far Cry (which were all released a year prior) looked MUCH better than FEAR (and have aged better).

I made a post about FEAR's Jupiter EX engine a while back so I will just quote it:

luka said:
FEAR was hardly an artistic powerhouse, but it's engine is still very capable. It did a lot of things totally unheard of back then like parallax mapping and a unified per-pixel phong lighting model which kicked the crap out of it's nearest competitor, Half Life 2, which still used an older shader model and cubemaps for reflections and highlights. It was crazy demanding on machines of the time and probably necessitated the rather simplistic environments.

It really does look great in motion though, seeing big holes being punched in walls with debris, dust and sparks kicked up everywhere is amazing. The water effects were really underused but they were absolutely phenomenal as well.

I loved the gameplay in the original and it remains my most replayed single player FPS ever just on the strength of the gameplay. The environments definitely don't hold up as well as, say, Condemned, but it's understandable when you're looking at the design philosophy and tech they were working with.

VaLiancY

luka said:
I made a post about FEAR's Jupiter EX engine a while back so I will just quote it:

:lol I loved using the SMG and seeing a fuckton of sparks from missed shots. I'm going to reinstall the game now as soon as I find my disc.

Decado

Feindflug said:

Monolith is one of many PC developers that didn't make the transition to consoles very well. These guys used to make great games with cutting edge technology. Now they settle for "passable" on all fronts. I'll pay attention to them again when they go back to making PC exclusives or farm out the console versions to another company.
will never happen[/quote].\

Sanic

I thought both FEAR 1 and 2 were serviceable first person shooters and enjoyed the time I spent with them, so i'll at least keep an eye out for this one.

So who wants to make a Driv3r appreciation thread?

element

Combichristoffersen said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_(video_game)

So the chance of a new Blood game ever being developed is probably less than zero :(
Don't argue with me about Monolith.

http://www.lith.com/Games/Blood
http://www.lith.com/Games/BLOOD-II--The-Chosen
BLOOD™ Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

monolith only made a small piece of DLC for FEAR2. the rest were all Sierra's doing. they aren't even canon.
You have FEAR 2 and Expansions for FEAR (perseus mandate and Extraction Point). Monolith did EVERYTHING for FEAR 2. Monolith had NOTHING to do with the FEAR expansion packs.

sn00zer

FEAR is my all time favorite shooter...stil havent got around to fear2 (demo was really cool for the gfx alone), but dayum was FEAR amaing

Top Bottom