• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Has Been Restarted Internally - Rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riky

$MSFT
That means Microsoft made a false statement the first time. Doesn't make any sense. Making or not making a target release date isn't a matter of making statements that are "true". Like I said, none of this is set in stone.

I didn't say it was set in stone, just like any release date for any game. I just don't believe they would make the statement after the first delay as they would be fully aware of the optics.

Godot25

Banned
Look, bro.
I understand your feelings and all.
And I see where are you coming from and I agree. If not because of one little insignificant detail:

Xbox's track record.

We had a CGI teaser title. We haven't seen any gameplay or real-time footage at all.

I dunno why are you so in denial. (I dunno if you are so attached to this IP or what).

But think in this way:

If everything is bullshit and fable's development is buttery smooth. Ok. FANTASTIC. this game should release in the next 18 months

If not, and development is a shitshow. Well...it wouldn't be surprising by Xbox's track record.
blah blah blah.

While you are trying to create poems about "Xbox's track record" I tend to verify level of bullshit in rumors I read on the internet.

So. Again. According to rumor, game switched engines around august? Right?
And PG is still advertising "custom proprietary engine" in their job ads one month ago? https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/...fi6J4M0LSylgMvbg63g==&trk=d_flagship3_company

Canadian Agree GIF by CBC

Thebonehead

Banned
Look, bro.
I understand your feelings and all.
And I see where are you coming from and I agree. If not because of one little insignificant detail:

Xbox's track record.

We had a CGI teaser title. We haven't seen any gameplay or real-time footage at all.

I dunno why are you so in denial. (I dunno if you are so attached to this IP or what).

But think in this way:

If everything is bullshit and fable's development is buttery smooth. Ok. FANTASTIC. this game should release in the next 18 months

If not, and development is a shitshow. Well...it wouldn't be surprising by Xbox's track record.
Dude,

You're frothing at the mouth creating histrionics for something you will never play.

Relax and chillout

feynoob

3 pages of this. I like how we can openly shit on Xbox on this forum. A 4chan rumor. Same website that said a Bloodborne port/remake was incoming for the past 5 years.
Emotion is high when people are "you vs me".

Couple of threads ago, we had people get mad because Phil got award from 3rd party organizations.

That is how far we are now.

You know that the team working on Fable is a separate team in Playground that has been set up and fully resourced to make an open world RPG. You know that a significant part of the team has open world RPG expertise and have come from studios like Rockstar, avalanche, Guerilla games, SSM etc.

It's in bad faith to insist there's no experience at all in making an RPG and that the team working on Fable is just a racing game dev.

Listen to what you just said. Regardless of whether individuals there have experience, they're essentially a start-up working on one of Microsoft's most legacy franchises, who are basically in charge of delivering a banger GOTY experience for 2024.

How is this not a repeat of 343 and Coalition? Teams like this need time to gel and learn to work together before hitting their stride.

Respawn is one of the most successful studios like this and Titanfall had mixed reception (and was original IP).

Ultimately, it's just way too much pressure without nearly enough experience and cohesion. The idea that they started development on this game in 2017 and in 2023 have yet to show anything, isn't a great sign either.

I just think it comes down to mismanagement. We'll never know the true dev cycles for all of these games, but I'm convinced Microsoft has been cancelling/restarting development on games for years because of GOTY pressure, which is kind of the only way you have an entire calendar year without a major release and ultimately it'll probably be 18 months or more between the release of Halo Infinite and Starfield.

I’m not 100% sure i trust the rumors but it wouldn’t surprise me after they brought Eidos in to help. I could see them switching to UE5 to make development easier on both teams

Maybe starting over is faster than trying to work around the forza tech engine

Last edited:
Dude,

You're frothing at the mouth creating histrionics for something you will never play.

Relax and chillout
That is what I am saying.
blah blah blah.

While you are trying to create poems about "Xbox's track record" I tend to verify level of bullshit in rumors I read on the internet.

So. Again. According to rumor, game switched engines around august? Right?
And PG is still advertising "custom proprietary engine" in their job ads one month ago? https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3412376467/?refId=Nnl2Pkq2iIVEeGoPFXGHgQ==&trackingId=Zchfi6J4M0LSylgMvbg63g==&trk=d_flagship3_company

Canadian Agree GIF by CBC
Again. Time will tell.

Topher

Gold Member
I didn't say it was set in stone, just like any release date for any game. I just don't believe they would make the statement after the first delay as they would be fully aware of the optics.

I certainly hope they don't have to even consider it. Where did Jez make that statement about Starfield? Twitter?

Riky

$MSFT
Makes no sense, if they are going that far getting recruitment.
The guy on 4chan even messes up his rumor.

That should be a red flag.

Exactly.

Game has been in development since 2018 and they can start again and have it ready next year. Sounds totally plausible.

Next year would be pretty good though as we'd have Fable, Avowed and Perfect Dark potentially.

Last edited:
Showing that CGI trailer a year or so ago was a mistake. Microsoft really need to learn to be patient and wait until they feel pretty confident in the project before getting people excited.

It was early days and they wanted to get people excited about Xbox Series X/S. They don't want to fall behind out of the gate.

Not a terrible strategy in my book, but they need to show other things. Their next showcase has a lot riding on it.

gothmog

Gold Member
Business hasn't even restarted for many companies that celebrated New Years Day today, so we'll see in a few days what the deal is. Hopefully the rumor is wrong and we get an actual update rather than yet another everything is fine non answer.

bxrz

Someone from digital foundry on Resetera said its not true

Mods lock thread and anything from 4chan should be deleted immediately

reksveks

JZLUMjh.jpg

Xbox's reporter extraordinaire wouldn't be surprised if true. Let that sink in.
Okay?

You stated that the rumour is not even about Unreal, it clearly has Unreal being used as the new engine in the rumour.

I didn't argue about accuracy of the rumour, just your comment.

I’m not 100% sure i trust the rumors but it wouldn’t surprise me after they brought Eidos in to help. I could see them switching to UE5 to make development easier on both teams

Maybe starting over is faster than trying to work around the forza tech engine

I mean it's the exact reason why The Witcher 4 is going to be done in unreal. There's been a mass exodus at CDPR and they need an infusion of talent and it makes more sense to use Unreal than to train people up on the outdated Red Engine. You get people who already have experience and don't need to be training up. Time to code reduces drastically. You can now also bring in contractors who only have UE experience.

But even if this is a trolling rumor, the game itself has been in development hell based on reports from staff that the game started development in 2017 and they still haven't shown anything. It almost certainly started as an Xbox One game and has shifted to Series X/S since.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
In modern day, how many people even care about a new Fable?

I don't know about a total number, but I definitely care about Fable. If this rumor turns out to be true then I'm going to be totally bummed. I think adamsapple adamsapple and CatLady CatLady are pretty useless typically (major console warriors), but if they weren't banned I'd ask them to get the details on this rumor from Phil the next time they are doing the horizontal shuffle with him.

Okay?

You stated that the rumour is not even about Unreal, it clearly has Unreal being used as the new engine in the rumour.

I didn't argue about accuracy of the rumour, just your comment.
I dont even remember what comment. My first comment was a about my prediction and MS never disappointing.

Other dudes automatically assumed I was taking this rumor as true.

McCarth

I really hope MS can figure this stuff out this gen, internal studio management is more important than the studios themselves.

It’s easily the most impressive thing Sony has done in the last 15 years and with how much trouble MS is still having I wonder if we never gave them enough credit for that.

Corndog

Banned
this could explain why they havent shown it almost 5 years after it supposdely started development and 2.5 years after its CG reveal. typically, you'd get a realtime trailer a year later and then gameplay two years after the og cg reveal.

State of decay, fable, avowed, everwild and perfect dark are all in development hell considering the fact that they were first revealed over 2 years ago.

Abysmal studio management. Shouldve never had the studio make Forza horizon 5 if they were beginning work on new ip. Should’ve been all hands on deck from day one.
It’s a separate team.

I really hope MS can figure this stuff out this gen, internal studio management is more important than the studios themselves.

It’s easily the most impressive thing Sony has done in the last 15 years and with how much trouble MS is still having I wonder if we never gave them enough credit for that.
And now is exponentially more difficult. Because the name of game for AAA development are the support studios.

ungalo

Ok so it was fake, reassuring.

I don't get why those are the Xbox influencers that gave credit to this rumor. Does Jez Corden want us to have zero hype ? Is this a new strategy ?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's what ive been thinking. Was this IP actually big? Never felt it was as big as other rpgs tbh.
Doing a fast google check, Fable 2 sold 3.5M. Fable 3 did 3M sales with a goal of 5M. Those numbers were at a point of time, so maybe they edged up years later with more sales and bargain binning. But unless someone has better data I missed skimming the net, it looks like maybe 4M each tops. I'm probably not far off.

At those sales, it's not even a big franchise. But what it did do well across those 3 mainline games is churn out consistently every ~3 years getting good scores. So expectation is Fable next gen would be a good game.

Riky

$MSFT
One thing about Fable that is probably true is that it is going to use Tier 2 VRS as David Springate was talking about the performance gains from it.
Good to see these hardware features coming to next gen software.

Belthazar

Well, let's keep giving awards to Phil Spencer... This is yet another example of how he's clearly great at his job.

McCarth

And now is exponentially more difficult. Because the name of game for AAA development are the support studios.
Very, very true. The Assassin’s Creed / Rockstar model of massive outsourcing/costs on a single game for everything outside the absolute highest grossers, the return just isn’t there (look at Ubi now).

Three

Not sure I believe this rumour but I still remember people arguing 3 years ago when the CGI trailer was shown at the XSX showcase. people were saying it wasn't CGI because the game is a long way out. They were saying that the game had been in development for 4 years already so will come out in 2022/23. Some nut was even trying to say it was as far along as Horizon Forbidden West. Well that turned out to be bollocks.

If the 4 yrs thing from 2-3 years ago is true we are up to 6-7yrs now with nothing to show for it. Can we at least now agree that it was announced way too early to pad the Xbox Series showcase?

reksveks

I dont even remember what comment. My first comment was a about my prediction and MS never disappointing.

Other dudes automatically assumed I was taking this rumor as true.
It's fine, I was just replying to post #79

Post in thread 'Fable Has Been Restarted Internally - Rumor' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/fable-has-been-restarted-internally-rumor.1649129/post-267261565

I don't know what your first comment in this thread was but ehh.

I am now wondering about the comment about how working with UE5 would make the external studios working on Fable and Perfect Dark lives easier but honestly this game is too far off and not important to me so going to forget about it pretty soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom