• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable Impressive First In-Game Trailer Was Captured on Xbox Series X

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Fable.jpg

The next entry in the Fable series was among the highlights of the Xbox Showcase, and the impressive in-game trailer just got more impressive, as it wasn't captured on a high-end PC.

Speaking on Twitter, Playground Games' Lighting Artist Lukas Kelz confirmed the trailer was captured on an Xbox Series X, which almost sounds impossible, given the high quality of the visuals seen in it. Playground Games always does impressive work, and it seems like they are really bringing their A-game for the anticipated next entry in the series.

Fable is currently in development for PC, Xbox Series X, and Xbox Series S, but a release window has yet to be confirmed.

StueyDuck

I keep saying it... MS employees need to just keep quiet now and let people stew. Why even entertain morons on Twitter looking for scoops or fame.

This tweet will 100% be bookmarked and brought up when the final in game product inevitably doesn't look as good. Like why create an unnecessary future headache for yourself.

Just say "running on series X, subject to change" and your good.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

You're under the impression everything shown was a cutscene? Definitely looked to me like a few scenes were actual gameplay.
Looking at the camera movement, Collisions and animation blending: yes, all of it was handscripted/canned animated. Even the best most polished gameplay demonstrations still have slight clipping/blending errors showing you it's code and underlying game-logic is running at runtime (Star Wars Outlaws is a great example). There is a difference.

I've been on this rodeo for a very long time now to know where to look. It is running 'In-engine', that not that hard to believe these days. The difference lays in the game-logic, animation, naturalistic NPC behavior, etc. But we'll see when it releases.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Let’s see some actual gameplay before jizzing our collective pants that the Xbox can render some cutscenes.
Relavant
Proof that the fight was in-game

hiS2TDt.jpg

nLktDwP.jpg

dmJidmu.jpg
There were many gameplay bits within the trailer.
If this really is what our protagonist looks like, I'm getting this on gamepass and will just repeatedly throw her off of a cliff.

wkh86o1.jpg
The protagonist will look like how you design him/her in the character creator. Or it would be like Fable Legends, where you could select one of the many heroes.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

What does "Captured On" mean to you?
Am I missing something? Looks like same kind of CGI stuff we see on a daily.
There were in game gameplay alongside the CGI.
I'm actually astounded that people think this isn't in-game footage. Like, does it look THAT good to you that you believe it's CGI or bullshots? lol. It's in-game with modified camera takes for cinematic storytelling, like those Uncharted games. Here I created some gifs for you naysayers to contemplate.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

xion4360

CGI means it was rendered by many PC's into a movie file...real time means it was rendered by one console or pc.

theres a big difference there, and if its "real time" you can at least expect it to look that good. Gameplay usually looks slightly worse than cutscenes but not by that much.

Tsaki

Sure and this was running on a PS4 nearly a decade ago but it wasn't the same when you had a controller in-hand. But the trailer does establish a base of how the game will look all around and it looks pretty sweet.
Edit: Beaten by a minute lmao

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Yesi saw your previous post and It seems that may very well be the case but if True then why does "captured on" even matter if its clearly a composited video file playing back on the hardware?
How will they show you the trailer if they don't "capture" footage from a Xbox Series X dev kit?

CGNoire

How will they show you the trailer if they don't "capture" footage from a Xbox Series X dev kit?
Its word play meant to convince others that the whole video was in realtime on the hardware showcasing how powerfull it is.

It could run a 10fps and there playing the footage back @30fps for all we know.

Devs choose there words carefully he knows what he was implying.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Oh fun, we've already got the "characters aren't bangable enough" conversations going.

. . .also, the trailer was clearly impressive and if the actual beat to beat gameplay has that level of fidelity then FABLE is absolutely going to be a great game. However people don't want to see heavily curated machinimas (even if they are running in-engine and not a CGI movie), they want a mix of both to showcase what the game will actually look like in practice.

Like the art style is giving me major HWL vibes, just with the fidelity turned up even more (and as boring as that game was it does look really quite good), so we know this isn't impossible to pull off, but it would still be nice to confirm that the fluidity in these cutscenes is just as present in the regular gameplay.

Top Bottom